• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Just spit it out already. Sarcasm sucks. :bee:
I looked brainless and I was VERY disappointed with how devoid my game was of active thinking and intelligent play. I might be exaggerating a bit, but that's how I felt at the time.
I can't exactly argue with stuff like "feelings" but I'm not sure how you manage to arrive at some of these conclusions.

Then again everyone's their own worst critic so what do I know.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Doesn't work before 55%. Unknown and I tried it but I guess he forgot.

btw good **** at RoM Ryan!

Its better to uthrow and wait before 50%. Here is the option tree:

DK jumps:

-Jump towards him and nair/bair FF. If you hit (even with the weak hitbox) he can't really escape your utilt as he's falling.

-Jump towards him and uair to your hearts content.

-Follow him from below and usmash or CC bairs. If he dairs, block -> grab again -> recycle

DK doesn't jump:

-lol

-utilt and combo him

-usmash and combo him

If you can coax him into saving his DJ and not eating some big combo (he can't do much on the way down from the double jump) then you can **** him up even more. Poor guy.
I loved the part where you're supposed to laugh when he doesn't jump (:

Brookman

Smash Hero
I would like it if everyone here would PM me their definition of 'Laser Camping' and how they would successfully implement it a tournament set.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
starzonedge was hands down the worst / best laser camper i ever seen. followed by spamer nd jman.

too lazy to pm but imo its just lasering on the opposite side of your opponent and if they approach you might counter attack for a sec or two before retreating to the other side for more lasers.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Doing them accidentally is the best thing ever. Hold down and hope they do something you can CC. Then usmash!

I can't exactly argue with stuff like "feelings" but I'm not sure how you manage to arrive at some of these conclusions.

Then again everyone's their own worst critic so what do I know.
You know how you always post things like, "I suck", "I'm bad", and "It was all Sheik"?

Well I kind of felt that way. Except the last part; Fox demands actual skill. :bee:

But ANYWAYS. I was looking sloppy as hell vs. Shiz and a bunch of other people at Apex. It wasn't that my techskill was off. Half the time I didn't know what to do with it. All the good players usually have good reasons for doing what they do. I was worried that my decisions would be wrong, and thus I would use my DD skillz to give me time decide. Then I just kept getting ***** by rushdown, which I couldn't beat unless I went brainless techskill mode. I would miss countless edge-guards and have close games with sub-standard players. Yuck.

Time for a change. Time for a break. Now I'm back yay

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
my definition of laser camping is well, a point where you're playing a defensive game where you only approaching in very specific situations while avoiding your opponent. all while of course lasering. Considering the percent goes up to 999%, theres really no limit how far one could laser camp either.

Yesterday i feel i properly implemented it in tournament against a peach in game 3 of a set. We both had fairly close percents last stock[50-60%], and i basically racked up lasers, if he would approach, i'd go above and around him on a platform[pokestadium] and continue to laser, then just wait for safe opportunitys. I approached with SH aerials much less often, and ended up just playing very versatile until i safely landed a bair for the kill.

i wonder how much better i'd be if my mindset was always this safe @_________@

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Well I kind of felt that way. Except the last part; Fox demands actual skill. :bee:
I would normally explain the origin of the post you're specifically referring to but I'm not going to bother because it's a silly topic.

Also, lol @ you thinking it's not all Fox with you. It may be all Sheik with me, but you're hardly different.

LuCKy

Smash Master
i always laugh when ppl say this

9 times out of 10 you think the people around you are amazing at SDI'ing uair, you just suck at doing uair lol
yo is this true? ive always felt like this was the case

every fox in the nation gets it like 25 percent of the time against h box lol

i got it like 75 percent of the time it felt like at rom

while it looked like mango gets it 90 percent of the time against him

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
So uh, I'm not exactly a pro or anything, but I can SHFFL pretty decently and SHL a bit, along with wavedashing, but how do you waveshine consistently / double-shine? I'm not sure I get it.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
it's hard to give you advice on consistency, that just takes practice. but um, waveshine = downB -> slide your left stick slightly toward/down opponent for wavedash -> repeat.

double shine, for me atleast is downB, up on left stick VERY quick then back to downB. so DownB-UP-downB all with the same stick. I can waveshine out of the second shine with this technique.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
it's hard to give you advice on consistency, that just takes practice. but um, waveshine = downB -> slide your left stick slightly toward/down opponent for wavedash -> repeat.

double shine, for me atleast is downB, up on left stick VERY quick then back to downB. so DownB-UP-downB all with the same stick. I can waveshine out of the second shine with this technique.
this guys crazier then ICG, i mean w/e works, but i think its a billion times easier for a double shine if you slide your finger like, down b (initial shine), then slide your thumb really quick from Y to B again.

no offense trahh ;)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To each his own. I still don't understand how SHDL is easier with control stick, i always have used Y and B.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yo is this true? ive always felt like this was the case

every fox in the nation gets it like 25 percent of the time against h box lol

i got it like 75 percent of the time it felt like at rom

while it looked like mango gets it 90 percent of the time against him
I agree with this. I'm able to get my upairs pretty often (75% or higher?), and I haven't played many people who actually SDI out
if they prove that they can do it consistently I get back to the bair necessities

I think a lot of the reason I hit upair so consistently is because I can tell if I can sweetspot the 2nd hit only or not. And if I can't, I may still go for it if they're at kill % or if the combo potential is high--but only if I can get directly under them. This all happens sub consciously, and I've never really practiced this. I think it just comes with the natural maturation of your game.
Lastly, you guys should watch what direction people SDI your upairs. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I'm really good at getting out of them as well; it's because I SDI whatever direction I think will give me the best chance of dodging hit #2. Sometimes I SDI up; sometimes left; sometimes right; etc. I bring this up because some players always SDI the same direction. Watch for how they SDI, and if they prove to have a habit then punish it. You'll hit every upair as long as you hit them off-center, leaning towards the direction they SDI.

Joe, I find SHDL infinitely easier with up on the control stick. I can only get 2/10 or so with Y. I'm not sure why of all the tech skill I have, this is my vice; but I'm really accurate with up, anyway. The method I use to flicking it up swiftly with my thumb, but I go at it in a manner that hardly ever hits the control stick, if that makes sense. I miss it on purpose to ensure that I have a very fast up input. I hit the top 10-15% of the stick when I flick.

PB&J

Smash Hero
starzonedge was hands down the worst / best laser camper i ever seen. followed by spamer nd jman.

too lazy to pm but imo its just lasering on the opposite side of your opponent and if they approach you might counter attack for a sec or two before retreating to the other side for more lasers.
starz was the best at camping..so gay..he never approached..liked never..i wish he still played and

lucky- im about to upload those friendlies with mango vs hbox..

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
this guys crazier then ICG, i mean w/e works, but i think its a billion times easier for a double shine if you slide your finger like, down b (initial shine), then slide your thumb really quick from Y to B again.

no offense trahh ;)

:D i also SHDL with the control stick, pretty acurately. of course at first you think it's something that won't gain habit, but it starts working just like everything else i doubt at first.

I do use X though, i'm sure if i was a Y player i'd be doing that for JCshines and doublelasers. i still can work great off the control stick for both regardless.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i do exactly like trahh says cuz im also a X player by nature

i hadnt realized it until JUST now, but control stick jumping is huge for me lol. I use contorl stick to jump for absolutely everything that isnt short hop, FH, wavedash/ledgedash, and "slow" double jumping. even when i have to dj and aerial quickly (like a upthrow upair or shine bair) i use control stick.

i even full hop triple laser with the contorl stick. Get at my techskilz

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i use every button on the controller for different things lol. x/y and l/r i even use z (besides for the obvious reason) when i am djc'in lolz

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Lol sinji, you're questions are VERY broad.

Though, I'd say u-tilt, along with shine, are two of fox's best moves in this matchup. [besides grab]

shine leads to techchases n stuff.
utilt leads to alot of stuff. more utilts, a grab, a usmash, basically anything you want. but choose something that you think might string into something else. or if they're about to die just utilt usmash.

voorhese

Smash Master
i dont think the buttons matter to much luke, its the practice that does, for instance i do all of my shdl with x and b, but if i try with up on controll stick and b i seem to press b to early (like at the same time i jump), but if i practiced it other way around x would be harder prolly.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
I always use X. I play piano, so it's relatively easy to do most of the stuff. I can SHDL 3/10 of the time via X, but I can do it 5/10 with control stick (just tested).
And I've got the hang of the waveshine, and rather accidentally got the hang of wavelanding. Now to figure out how to double shine...

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i dont think the buttons matter to much luke, its the practice that does, for instance i do all of my shdl with x and b, but if i try with up on controll stick and b i seem to press b to early (like at the same time i jump), but if i practiced it other way around x would be harder prolly.
I agree. People focus way too much on there being a best way to do entirely subjective things.
The only controller inputs I think that actually do matter is using up for dropzones to jump because it gives you a bigger margin of error on your timing
even then, you can still use x or y

voorhese

Smash Master
false, do what i do press up and x when u are trying to get back...i mean u cant waste a 2nd jump when u dont have one right?

actually dont do that all the time, only after ones where u have to jump out of something really fast, but for **** where u need to get closer to the stage horizontally u need to be holding the direction towards the stage and use x..but the jump can come out when ever then anyway (for the most part)

but for dropzone...real men push both x and up on the stick.

also random question: where does this little "del.icio.us" link take u to...im to ascared to take it, cuz it says delicious...mmmmmm

Tomacawk

Smash Master
false, do what i do press up and x when u are trying to get back...i mean u cant waste a 2nd jump when u dont have one right?

actually dont do that all the time, only after ones where u have to jump out of something really fast, but for **** where u need to get closer to the stage horizontally u need to be holding the direction towards the stage and use x..but the jump can come out when ever then anyway (for the most part)

but for dropzone...real men push both x and up on the stick.

also random question: where does this little "del.icio.us" link take u to...im to ascared to take it, cuz it says delicious...mmmmmm
lol
that's funny, I actually use up Y AND X
I wobble my thumb over x/y and try to time up

battousai555

Smash Ace
What's everyone's opinion on FH nair? It seems to be pretty good for dittos and against lasering Falco (not all the time, of course it can be CC shine->*****). I also throw it out occasionally against any character because it seems like most people aren't used to it and it throws them off a bit.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
FH nair is old school fox v falco strategy. it's good to throw them in to keep falco honest, but he can CC shine it or retreating laser it or just utilt it if he's baller enough.

i would be wary of using it in the ditto. way too easy to DD grab.

Lovage

Smash Hero
How do you invisible shines? And no youtube videos, comcast's being a ******.
-shining as you run off an edge (easiest from dash, doable from walk) by far the easiest way
-shining as you jump thru a platform (shinelanding) at certain heights, the easiest is fox on yoshi's on the side platforms, there's a specific place you can stand to fulljump invis shine every time
-shining as you walljump thru a platform, happens a lot more often than jumping, but stage formations where you can walljump near a platform is weird and you're most likely to see this on banned stages or stadium transformations

JPOBS

Smash Hero
FH nair is awesome especially if you dont always fastfall you, throws off the timing if they are trying to DD->grab you or something.

its not perfect, but what is lol

joeplicate

Smash Master
instead of "fullhop nair"

do a fulljump as a positioning tactic
and then if it'll work do a late nair so it's safe on shield

it's usually better to do it this way, going up with a nair limits your options pretty badly
especially since fox's fullhop is beautiful if you use it right

Top Bottom