• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
U-smash is better near the edge.

If they don't DI you get to shine them offstage or hit them with moves.

If they DI into you, you get to U-smash again.

If they DI away you edgeguard them with moves.

Grab trumps both on FD.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
U-smash is better near the edge.

If they don't DI you get to shine them offstage or hit them with moves.

If they DI into you, you get to U-smash again.

If they DI away you edgeguard them with moves.

Grab trumps both on FD.
that.

theres a lot you can do off of a thunders, if you wanna kill go for that upsmash (if they are in kill range). if you just want damage, then grab and combo :D

Brookman

Smash Hero
dude, tempest, please tell me how you get thunders to work inside of kill percents.

Also, in the video L posted to my video critique, HMW Smash DI's his thunders combo once or twice.

just sayin

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
you mean so they don't pop up from the jab and **** you? how about you plan ahead and jab and wait for them to do something stupid?

just a thought ;)

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys feel about battlefield? I think it isn't as bad as most people say it is. You have enough room to move around and escape bad situations and IIRC it has a lower ceiling than DL64 and maybe FD (please correct me if FD is lower).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if your dash attack isn't staled i'd rather just do that than jab reset at KO percents.

jab resets stop working pretty early vs ASDI anyway. fortunately, waiting is broken.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
also this is probably dumb and super unreliable, but you could try to drill them instead of jab. they are prob not gonna expect a drill, and i think it works as a reset unless they somehow smash di away and then up? or something...

or what about jab 2 shield and if they hit you upsmash oos.. idk just tossin around options

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I know after a thunders combo i upsmash. what i cant understand is what should i do after usmash. any advice?
uair instead
As far as I know, I think kanelol is referring to the fact that a "thunder's combo" is waveshine tap reset shffl upair...what you're talking about is a tap reset situation.
IMHO, I think upsmash is the best choice. It's a slow and steady wins the race philosophy, but it guarantees a strong hit and stage control. Depending on di, percent, and matchup, it could lead to move upsmashes, a grab, a tech chase anything, or even a nair (probably shouldn't nair).
You could upair but they can potentially di out of your combo. You could do upair upsmash, but chances are they di'd poorly to get hit by the usmash and at this point they might di wrong again and give you more combo potential after the usmash. But it's more reliable to take the upsmash and the reward can be just as high if not better at it's best.
woooow I got ninja'd by so many people for slacking on the tabs
good **** fox boards!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think grab is the best choice. Most of the time people will just DI so they roll away after the jab making usmash not guaranteed. Reacting and grabbing is safer and still quite effective.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
uair will give no follows the grab couldn't have given. but it also does twice as much damage immediately and gives pretty similar follows.

sometimes the damage or extra KB is useful.

sometimes it's better on plat levels or whatever where the throw will put them on the plat and you have to tech chase. not that tech chasing is hard, but then uair will launch them high enough so you can directly combo if you think that's appropriate.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
suppose i was fighting an aggressive falco player like Shiz. should i play defensively? ANY ADVICE?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Shine out of shield is your friend.
Literally out of mouth

On a related note, the thing about aggressive players is that unless they have impeccable mindgames they're leaving a lot of options open by (usually) attacking blindly. Try and put yourself in their shoes. Imagine what you wouldn't want you to do if you were them and them were incessantly attacking.

Then do it.

Oh, and shine spike. Also, when you get a combo, you have to run with it. Like, really really really run with it.

Brookman

Smash Hero
watch any of mango's fox vs falco (pp, shiz) matches. even if he loses the match you are bound to learn a lot from them. Ultimately, it comes down to your brain power though.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
any up-tilt help. specifically empty short hop up tilt.... 90% of the time i double jump. >:o
You can cheat a little bit on this one. Airdodge straight down right as you're about to land, then u-tilt. You'll be in lag from your "waveland", and no one will be able to tell the difference

Dunno why you'd wanna empty short hop u-tilt though

Brookman

Smash Hero
i mean. . . it doesnt really make a difference whether the laser comes out or not. In fact, I'd rather just shl into a turn around up tilt. on second though, I'd rather just laser. laser. . . wait a second. . . . . . ok they're still not coming in . . .laser . . .laser. . . . . . . .

you get it, I think??

edit: for the purpose you recommended using the laser to turn into up tilt, I do approve.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
You can cheat a little bit on this one. Airdodge straight down right as you're about to land, then u-tilt. You'll be in lag from your "waveland", and no one will be able to tell the difference

Dunno why you'd wanna empty short hop u-tilt though
Nah, if you really wanted to do this, the waveland lag would be noticeable/relevant.

Ditto at not knowing why you'd want to sh utilt, though.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
how do you cg falco best?

which %'s, combos, general tips?

cheers
upthrow at 0% works.
at 60% or higher, if falco doesn't DI and you try to grab, you'll get shined. utilt or usmash instead
you can uthrow usmash or utilt at super high %s, all the way up until 110, perhaps higher?
charge the usmash for faster kills, even if he DI's the uthrow. get consistent at running charged usmashes to follow his DI

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
don't usmash at 60% on FD. by the way, falco can escape at around 50%. utilt after 50%, then continue to utilt (wavedash or run-cancel into it if they di to the side) until 75%, after which utilt stops comboing. then either bair them off the stage, or do soft aerial (bair or nair) into usmash, dash attack, or another (hard) aerial. this'll kill 90% of the time

if they don't know to stop DI'ing at 50%, then keep chaingrabbing until 90%, then grab them one more time, pummel twice, uthrow, charge usmash. dead

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
watch any of mango's fox vs falco (pp, shiz) matches. even if he loses the match you are bound to learn a lot from them. Ultimately, it comes down to your brain power though.
I learn alot from Mango's fox. His fox in my opinion is the best fox.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
any up-tilt help. specifically empty short hop up tilt.... 90% of the time i double jump. >:o
Definitely don't do the air dodge thing Kane suggested. Just creates unnecessary lag.

Just lightly tilt the stick. This may seem like a daunting task in the heat of a match, but it's just a matter of practice. Work on it while playing against your scrub friends (I'm assuming you have some; if you don't, anybody considerably worse than you will suffice). Try to do it a lot at times where you normally wouldn't. Keep practicing it until you can do it—the right way—without thinking about it.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Toph, you should play SSF4 so you can take advantage of the amazing wifi over there.

So I was practicing with Zoso yesterday, and I remember one of the things I should really work on is my "movement", and how good movement opens up opportunities to bait and punish. I'm not 100% sure what he meant by that, can anyone help me?

voorhese

Smash Master
well cunning always tells me that u are supposed to keep moving, but dont just move for the sake of movement....what i took from that was that if u are just moving to be moving, not only will u be punished more easily, but u arent accomplishing anything. so make ur choices in movement have a reason behind them, like platform camping and such.

PB&J

Smash Hero
with movement..you want to always keep your opponent guessing what you going to do next, think of you are playing checkers with someone your facing then out of no where, you do a move you can only do in chess..thats the way i look at movement..

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Toph, you should play SSF4 so you can take advantage of the amazing wifi over there.
I'm buying SSF4 as soon as I get my next paycheck. I'm playing Blazblue too. Planning on going to a-cho every now and then once I get better. Who do you play?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
with movement..you want to always keep your opponent guessing what you going to do next, think of you are playing checkers with someone your facing then out of no where, you do a move you can only do in chess..thats the way i look at movement..
this is quite possibly the worst analogy ever composed. +1

Top Bottom