• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Lookan for critique. Ignore the fact that I'm doing stupid **** instead of playing gay, when doing so, however. Playing optimally is boring, and reserved for tournament play.

Rubyiris Fox vs Silly Kyle Peach:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSd50w2Qmsg <- watch this one for a mix of silly+solid
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92lW48na6a8 <- watch this one for relatively solid play
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWL6cxrwQr0 <- watch this one to be entertained
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTxZykWR5Y <- watch this one to be entertained

If you only watch one vid for the sake of critique, watch vid 2, but I implore those who bother to look to take a look at all four. the games aren't long, and 3 and 4 are entertaining as hell.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
General stuff:
You really need to learn to JC your grabs. I see you trying to dash-grab a lot.

You also need to learn to shine OoS. It's one of the best options in the game OoS.

Chain-grabbing is good, or just have solid tech-chasing.

SDI falco's shine. Give him a hard time when he's comboing you.

More b-air. It's not a bad idea to have your back turned to falco. You can b-air his approaches, or u-tilt through his aerials if you time it well.

If you can PS lasers, then do it. It might come in handy sometimes.

Learn to ledge WD. It's your safest option.

Control yourself. You sidestep randomly a lot, and seem to DD uncontrollably a lot of times.

Game 1:

0:13 - Jumping on top of your opponent like that is bad, even when they aren't invincible.

0:26 - messed up that grab. Good try.

0:27 - drill if you're that close to the opponent. CC is incredibly gay. Alternatively, if you hit a very low n-air, the shine will still combo. It's really risky vs spacies though.

0:31 - you messed up that n-air, though you should've d-air'd. After you missed the n-air, he tried to d-air OoS. You could've waited and u-tilted him, or DD -> grabbed/drill him since you were still really close to him. Alternatively, you could've just waited to see what he does OoS, then put some pressure. You never want to give falco any breathing room

0:34 - shine OoS.

0:40 - CG him a bit, then do the u-tilt.

0:43 - u-tilt -> re-grab

0:45 - drill -> grab. The ledge is gay and combo-breaks you when you shine that close.

0:48 - that sucks.

0:56 - shine OoS

1:08 - you could've JC u-smashed him for missing the tech. It may not have killed him, but you at least get him above you and possibly off the stage.

3rd stock: You got the kill pretty quickly, though you messed up some re-grabs.

1:50 - shine OoS

2:00 - You approached from directly above again, while he wasn't really committed to much. After that, you hit a n-air -> shine. Not bad, but you could've drill -> grabbed.

2:03 - when you were waiting in shield and he Short hopped close to you, you could've b-air'd OoS.

2:05 - try to avoid drilling the opponent when they're in the air. They can punish you most of the time for it. Use b-air/n-air/shine.

2:10 - after you n-air'd his shield and went far away from him, you could've u-tilted to keep a safe block string, or it will hit him if he tries to retaliate.

2:24 - he was way too far away for you to get that tech chase. You should've tried to make him do something, with your DD. Then react.

2:37 - you rushed into that tech chase, Don't guess. React.

2:40 - you could've beaten out his b-air with your own. He put it out early.

2:43 - you could've u-smashed OoS after he b-air'd your shield.

2:59 - after you whiffed that u-smash. You could've f-tilted right after, while he was trying to laser you. You did a sidestep, then a jab but you could've f-tilted there as well. It would put him off the stage because of his damage. The jab was risky, because if he CC'd it, you may have lost the match.

Game 2: You gotta shorten those illusions.

3:20 - You jumped over him and he was waiting to CC your aerial. You could've b-air'd him, because he wouldn't be able to punish it with that spacing. Also, you put yourself at the edge of the stage, which is kinda bad.

3:22 - after hitting that shine. You WD'd out, but didn't do a thunder's combo for some reason. When he got up, you approached with a full hop n-air. Though you jumped on top of him, you should've drilled, because he was just crouching there.

3:28 - 3:32 - you were keeping good pressure on him. Failed the edgeguard though.

3:37 - could've u-smashed right through that d-air.

3:38 - you got read pretty hard. You did DI it really poorly too.

3:46 - He was too far away for the tech chase again. Try to bait him in those situations.

3:48 - You could've held the ledge, then d-air'd him to make sure that he can't walltech.

3:53 - 4:15 - you seem really frantic and are just throwing out moves, desperate for the kill. With that, you keep running into moves. Be careful with what you're doing.

4:24 - u-tilt

4:25 - u-tilt after that n-air.

4:27 - your oppenent did what I was talking about, though he is too close. You could've shined OoS.

4:34 - 4:36 - You had a punish.

4:37 - when you landed behind him, you could've u-tilted, or DD -> grabbed on him.

4:42 - too slow on the tech-chase.

4:49 - u-throw -> u-tilt -> re-grab -> etc.

5:01 - sweetspot.

less jabs in general.

Game 3:

6:01 - ledge hop d-air -> shine

6:03 - could've tech-chased with JC u-smash, or another grab.

6:04 - thunder's combo.

6:09 - edgeguard with full hop n-air, or jump out and shine him.

6:17 - same thing. Maybe b-air instead of n-air.

6:24 - what you did was risky and hard to time. You should've either taken the ledge, or SH d-air'd him while you were onstage, or just d-smashed him.

6:28 - go diagonally upwards.

6:32 - u-smash OoS.

6:45 - thunder's combo.

6:47 - DI or something.

6:55 - too slow again.

7:04 - shine OoS

7:08 - 7:12 - Good, but you mis-spaced the second u-air.

7:26 - You had the right idea with the edgeguard, but it looks like you were guessing on where he was going.

7:46 - That was really obvious and done really slow. He could've hit you out of it, but fortunately you didn't get punished for it.

7:50 - 8:40 - It seems like you guys are kinda just spamming moves. You gotta make those hits lead to something (a tech-chase, or combo).

8:44 - he finally punished it. You could've survived, if you DI'd the u-air though. He should've b-air'd you offstage.

9:01 - shine OoS at any point when he was close to you.

9:07 - free grab.

That sucks at the end. You had it, but didn't make sure it was done and it costed you. ****.

I'll watch the rest later.
There's a lot of mistakes I made. Like thuders combo. The problem with me is that I dont no exactly who im facing before the match starts. I was fighting falco like I was fighting peach.

mers

Smash Ace
Basic question:

What combination of lasers, usmash (charged/uncharged), and uthrow->stuff is optimal for (A): killing a sleeping puff, and (B): doing the most damage when their percent is low enough that they won't die no matter what.

This assumes that they missed the rest and you have lots of time to do what you want.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Basic question:

What combination of lasers, usmash (charged/uncharged), and uthrow->stuff is optimal for (A): killing a sleeping puff, and (B): doing the most damage when their percent is low enough that they won't die no matter what.

This assumes that they missed the rest and you have lots of time to do what you want.
this is a hard question! it depends on a lot of variables.

in terms of sheer guaranteed damage output, lasers for a while to uncharged (or very slightly charged) usmash is best.

if your opponent isn't going to SDI drills or uairs, lasers -> drill -> grab -> uthrow -> uair is pretty **** at percents such that the uthrow hits her whens he's below about 90%.

sometimes (not sure when) utilt -> uair works. i dont like this much myself.

a little known trick that i have gotten very easy kills with is uair -> uair. im sure there's a way for jiggs to get out, but i dont think many jiggs know what to do, and they probably wont be expecting it. one time my friend rested me on the top platform of yoshi's, and he was at... around 20%. i DI'd down, respawned in time, and did a falling uair -> uair on him that killed him off the top. it's not the best for damage dealing but it can net you kills you wouldnt otherwise get.

also, if jiggs is above like 40%, a fully charged usmash will kill her on most stages so you shouldnt think about doing anything fancy.

..um... hope that helps? my training partner is a jiggs main so i have punished a ****load of missed rests.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
learn to ledgedash or atleast do it more if you can. its the safest thing ever. and mix up your recovery in general, your go to move was grab ledge-> instant illusion onto stage like everytime
work on your upthrow upairs when they DI
dont nair peach when she's on the groudn at low percents.
if you sheild a Downsmash, try to get in the habit of wavedashing OoS->shne->free stock.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
just to iterate on something: any time you see me not wding oos, its because i messed up.

all those rolls, jumps, etc are FAILED WD OOS.

My falco does the same thing, only its normally sh fair with falco rofl.

it's not that i'm not in the habit of doing it, it's just that i mess it up alot in real matches.

Nothing to say about the other stuff, though. it's stuff I know I have to work on, lol.

I'm mostly looking for more in-depth analysis, though. Everything jpops covered I know I need to work on more than anybody else.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
laser dair grab uthrow uair is my favorite rest punish. make sure you hit with the last part of the dair though or you will get rested before you grab them
andale has done it to me multiple times
just short hop dair and don't fastfall. the tradeoff is you give them hella time to sdi.
if the puff is good enough to rest you/sdi you then you should really just take the usmash.

Brookman

Smash Hero
people dont think about up tilt > up air. So staple.

ruby, I'm trying to crit your vids but I just can't seem to think straight right now. I watched them last night when I was hanging out with Cort but now I'm just not in the mood to watch them again.

I'll definitely see what I can offer later on.

except this,
Lookan for critique. Ignore the fact that I'm doing stupid **** instead of playing gay.... Playing optimally is boring, and reserved for tournament play.
You should not try to excuse your play style.

Ok, I have to ask for your input on your own video first, just to give me a foundatoin.

in video two, and I think maybe you do this again in another video: Why don't you end the wave shine with a move that actually does damage?? You deal about 20 damage and then let him recover when you could easily just grab up throw up air.

*shrug*****

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

ruby, I'm trying to crit your vids but I just can't seem to think straight right now. I watched them last night when I was hanging out with Cort but now I'm just not in the mood to watch them again.

I'll definitely see what I can offer later on.

except this,

You should not try to excuse your play style.
trust me, i play COMPLETELY different in tournament.

If OkamiBW ever gets my Fox sets up, I'd be more than happy to give you factual proof to back up my statement.

The thing is that even if my serious, and casual "styles" are vastly different, MOST of the same decision making is still there. How I get from point a to point b is just approached differently.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
a simple word of advice for when you want people to critique you:

dont post vids where you arent 100% playing to win. Because otherwise, People are gonna tell you stuff that are fundamental/optimal.
In the event you know these things and just choose not to do them, then teres nothing we can help you with, because the vid you're showing isn't a reflection of how you actually play, and we dont know where to draw the line between "this guy is just messing around" and "this guy really doesnt know that waveshine to upsmash > waveshine to ftilt"

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
a simple word of advice for when you want people to critique you:

dont post vids where you arent 100% playing to win. Because otherwise, People are gonna tell you stuff that are fundamental/optimal.
In the event you know these things and just choose not to do them, then teres nothing we can help you with, because the vid you're showing isn't a reflection of how you actually play, and we dont know where to draw the line between "this guy is just messing around" and "this guy really doesnt know that waveshine to upsmash > waveshine to ftilt"
then just watch the fd match since i played that pretty normally.

voorhese

Smash Master
How do you edge guard falco? any advice.
depends on where he is.... im usually on the edge, waiting for a ledhop back air, or if i think hes going for a sweetspot i step close enough to the ledge that my dsmash goes out past the ledge...but like i said its so situational im to lazy to say all the setups i know of and junk... those 2 are pretty good, ledghop bair covers the forward b (not aimed at the ledge pretty easy, it can hit that to tho), and up B pretty easy...if i think they are gonna try and sweetspot and i have the ledge, ill ledghop dair -> shine spike

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I think the biggest goal when ledge guarding falco is to put your back to the ledge. bair/utilt if he side b's towards or above you, dsmash if he side bs to the ledge. if he has to up b under the ledge, run out and shine spike that bird every time. it's really easy because his up b wont hurt you until it's charged

unknown522

Some guy
There's a lot of mistakes I made. Like thuders combo. The problem with me is that I dont no exactly who im facing before the match starts. I was fighting falco like I was fighting peach.
gotta adjust to that quickly.

also:

vs Cross Game 4:

- you started to CG in the beginning, though you messed it up. It's easier if you JC-grab.

0:14 - you caught him with a u-smash as he ran off the stage. He DI'd into you and you u-smashed again. You could've done way more instead. For example, you could've:

A - shined him off
B - u-tilt -> grab
C - go straight for the grab and CG/attempt to gimp
D - b-air him off

0:21 - 0:29 - Lol, I hear them playing SSF4. Someone's saying "Ultra him! Ultra! You can't ultra 2 him y'know?" lol.

0:29 - After the u-throw, u-tilt -> moves.

0:33 - free kill.

0:41 - shorten illusion.

0:43 - should've just fell and grabbed the ledge. Or FF, then sweetspot illusion.

0:50 - You could try to shine him out of it. If they're slightly too slow, it will work. Also, SDI those shines. You're giving him these combos for free.

1:02 - I was thinking that you should've charged at him here. He was pretty far away and didn't shoot a laser. He was kind of open, because he was trying to make you roll.

1:03 - Try to stay near the ground. Especially when you're under pressure. Another way to avoid pressure at the edge, is to WD off (or get pushed off somehow), then do a WD from the ledge. If you do it right, you're completely invincible. It's really gay, and how I usually avoid getting gimped/pressured by marth/sheik at the edge. If they stand too close to the edge as well, then you can shine/u-smash/u-tilt/f-tilt them after you WD from the ledge.

1:09 - 1:11 - not bad, but you didn't finish the job. Once he started that second firebird, you should've:

A - ran off and shined him.
B - wait on the stage, then d-smash him.
C - take the ledge with a WD, then shine him.

1:24 - grab after the u-tilt, or do a second u-tilt.

1:27 - when you knocked him down you could've:

A - attempt a drill reset
B - JC u-smash
C - Dash-cancel shine and try to reset him
D - tech chase normally

1:38 - If he u-tilted you, you would've been screwed, but fortunately he didn't. You didn't thunder's combo him after landing the drill -> shine. You could've drill -> grabbed him as well.

1:40 - He was long gone before you did that u-smash.

1:48 - That grab probably would've worked if you JC'd it.

1:54 - That one too...maybe.

2:02 - dash attack.

2:10 - He always shoots the first laser too high from the ledge, but you always let him get away with it. Stick a move in there.

2:15 - LOL. wow.

2:16 - 2:19 - Rolling around a litte too much.

2:27 - Should've sweetspotted that. But you got away with it that time.

2:33 - That was good. You didn't give him any breathing room.

2:35 - I dunno if that was intentional, but you had a free gimp after that throw.

2:45 - After you whiffed that grab and you ran away, you should've SH b-air'd him when he came at you with that d-air.

2:47 - You should've u-tilted him, when he was coming after you with that grab.

2:49 - end of match - that was alright.

Game 5:

3:18 - That was good.

3:30 - You should've waited in shield, then shine OoS.

3:39 - u-tilt after that sidestep.

3:50 - u-tilt after you hit the n-air.

3:54 - after missing the first u-tilt, you should've walked under, then followed with another u-tilt.

3:57 - You could've u-tilted after you drilled him.

4:04 - 4:07 - That was pretty good, but you failed the edgeguard. After the shine, you could've:

A - jump out and shined him again, with proper following.
B - jump out and b-air him
C - wait there, and f-smash/d-smash/f-tilt him if he tries to go low
D - **** him if he goes over you
He went straight up, but you missed the b-air. You could've waited there and done any grounded move. He SD'd after, so oh well.

4:19 - After you hit him with the first b-air, you could've dropped through the platform and b-air'd again. It would've hit him, because I highly doubt that he would've shielded it.

4:35 - What you did OoS was good. You could've grabbed him though.

4:38 - After that d-tilt, you definitely should've hit him off stage with a b-air/n-air/shine. Then proceed to edgeguard.

4:44 - you definitely could've jumped out and hit him.

4:48 - Again, with the laser being too high. What you could do is shield at the edge, then shine OoS.

5:09 - SH b-air.

5:39 - u-smash OoS would've won you the game right there.

5:48 - Wow, he had the set, then threw it away.

Overall, you undershoot a lot of moves and get grabbed for it. Your combos are really incomplete, and you make a lot of technical errors. Keep practicing.

How do you edge guard falco? any advice.
There might be something in those long posts on some ways you could edgeguard. Edgeguarding spacies usually depends on where both of you are positioned. There are a lot of things you can do.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
unknown with the **** video analysis. Also, I agree with JPOBS. I also have a few videos up on YouTube of my playing (courtesy of the awesome EpsiKingZant), but I still don't want people to critique me as long as even I can see what I'm doing wrong.

unknown522

Some guy
I forgot about that vs marth stuff you guys were talking about.

When marth is at low%, I u-thow -> b-air only when he's near the edge, because I always find a way to shine him after

Otherwise, I always almost always u-throw -> u-air. You can always get 2 or 3, so why not? Also, you have better positional advantage. Sometimes though, I change it up, and I n-air them if they DI in front of me at 0%. You get a free u-tilt -> various moves, if they don't jump away from your n-air. Sometimes after the u-air, if they DI poorly, then I n-air them and land on a platform, then follow-up somehow. I usually end up doing these 70% combos, if they DI 2 hits poorly.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
true and point duely noted
this is going to be fun as **** to do in friendlies though
Agreed

Raynex, do you suggest going for uthrow bair on marth even at low percents? (like in the situation in yay's vid)

I was under the impression that uthrow uair is harder to DI out of at lower percents since the uair will hit him more squarely and he'd have to SDI farther to escape it or something.

also I feel like Marth can recover from the bair stun and fair fox or something?
ya i feel like i get fair'd a lot after the hit when i upthrow bair/nair marth at low percent.
Uthrow uair is harder to d.i. away from. It works against all of Marth's d.i. options. One of the more troublesome aspects of the match-up is when Marth starts d.i.ng the throws far behind you. Sometimes turning around and running -> uair is tough to do, so bair is a good alternative at low-mid percents.

When Marth d.i.s behind you or doesn't d.i., bair is really easy to land. He is floating in your bair's area of effect, so hitting with it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I would not suggest going for it all the time though, because uair is obviously better and offers a more reliable pay-off. But mixing it up is always a good idea in smash. When you do go up for the bair, make sure you FF it on hit and try your best to land directly beneath him ( thus eliminating the threat of fair). Utilt usually connects cleanly at this point, and you can let your mind run wild from there.

If Marth d.i.s in front of you, uair is your best option. Because you have to l-cancel a fullhop FFed nair, you usually don't have time for a follow-up if you attempt to combo with it (at mid-low percents). As for bair, I wouldn't gamble it if they d.i. away from you. Granted, you can still connect with it and go for the utilt as mentioned before...but it's difficult. The hitbox on bair doesn't have good enough coverage in front of Fox to make it a staple option in this scenario.

back air fast fall l cancel up tilt.
Fullhop Bair FF makes it so the bair autocancels before you land. No l-cancel is required.

Ever turnaround and utilt your opponent, only to have them fly far out in front of you? It's possible the Jiggs might d.i. the utilt correctly and thwart your combo attempts afterward. I mean, turning around point blank makes the whole thing preeetty obvious.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Don't take it personally, Ruby. You AND Trahh both of vids that need to be critiqued. I'm sure you will get a good critique once someone finds the time to sit down with no distractions.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
gotta adjust to that quickly.

also:

vs Cross Game 4:

- you started to CG in the beginning, though you messed it up. It's easier if you JC-grab.

0:14 - you caught him with a u-smash as he ran off the stage. He DI'd into you and you u-smashed again. You could've done way more instead. For example, you could've:

A - shined him off
B - u-tilt -> grab
C - go straight for the grab and CG/attempt to gimp
D - b-air him off

0:21 - 0:29 - Lol, I hear them playing SSF4. Someone's saying "Ultra him! Ultra! You can't ultra 2 him y'know?" lol.

0:29 - After the u-throw, u-tilt -> moves.

0:33 - free kill.

0:41 - shorten illusion.

0:43 - should've just fell and grabbed the ledge. Or FF, then sweetspot illusion.

0:50 - You could try to shine him out of it. If they're slightly too slow, it will work. Also, SDI those shines. You're giving him these combos for free.

1:02 - I was thinking that you should've charged at him here. He was pretty far away and didn't shoot a laser. He was kind of open, because he was trying to make you roll.

1:03 - Try to stay near the ground. Especially when you're under pressure. Another way to avoid pressure at the edge, is to WD off (or get pushed off somehow), then do a WD from the ledge. If you do it right, you're completely invincible. It's really gay, and how I usually avoid getting gimped/pressured by marth/sheik at the edge. If they stand too close to the edge as well, then you can shine/u-smash/u-tilt/f-tilt them after you WD from the ledge.

1:09 - 1:11 - not bad, but you didn't finish the job. Once he started that second firebird, you should've:

A - ran off and shined him.
B - wait on the stage, then d-smash him.
C - take the ledge with a WD, then shine him.

1:24 - grab after the u-tilt, or do a second u-tilt.

1:27 - when you knocked him down you could've:

A - attempt a drill reset
B - JC u-smash
C - Dash-cancel shine and try to reset him
D - tech chase normally

1:38 - If he u-tilted you, you would've been screwed, but fortunately he didn't. You didn't thunder's combo him after landing the drill -> shine. You could've drill -> grabbed him as well.

1:40 - He was long gone before you did that u-smash.

1:48 - That grab probably would've worked if you JC'd it.

1:54 - That one too...maybe.

2:02 - dash attack.

2:10 - He always shoots the first laser too high from the ledge, but you always let him get away with it. Stick a move in there.

2:15 - LOL. wow.

2:16 - 2:19 - Rolling around a litte too much.

2:27 - Should've sweetspotted that. But you got away with it that time.

2:33 - That was good. You didn't give him any breathing room.

2:35 - I dunno if that was intentional, but you had a free gimp after that throw.

2:45 - After you whiffed that grab and you ran away, you should've SH b-air'd him when he came at you with that d-air.

2:47 - You should've u-tilted him, when he was coming after you with that grab.

2:49 - end of match - that was alright.

Game 5:

3:18 - That was good.

3:30 - You should've waited in shield, then shine OoS.

3:39 - u-tilt after that sidestep.

3:50 - u-tilt after you hit the n-air.

3:54 - after missing the first u-tilt, you should've walked under, then followed with another u-tilt.

3:57 - You could've u-tilted after you drilled him.

4:04 - 4:07 - That was pretty good, but you failed the edgeguard. After the shine, you could've:

A - jump out and shined him again, with proper following.
B - jump out and b-air him
C - wait there, and f-smash/d-smash/f-tilt him if he tries to go low
D - **** him if he goes over you
He went straight up, but you missed the b-air. You could've waited there and done any grounded move. He SD'd after, so oh well.

4:19 - After you hit him with the first b-air, you could've dropped through the platform and b-air'd again. It would've hit him, because I highly doubt that he would've shielded it.

4:35 - What you did OoS was good. You could've grabbed him though.

4:38 - After that d-tilt, you definitely should've hit him off stage with a b-air/n-air/shine. Then proceed to edgeguard.

4:44 - you definitely could've jumped out and hit him.

4:48 - Again, with the laser being too high. What you could do is shield at the edge, then shine OoS.

5:09 - SH b-air.

5:39 - u-smash OoS would've won you the game right there.

5:48 - Wow, he had the set, then threw it away.

Overall, you undershoot a lot of moves and get grabbed for it. Your combos are really incomplete, and you make a lot of technical errors. Keep practicing.

There might be something in those long posts on some ways you could edgeguard. Edgeguarding spacies usually depends on where both of you are positioned. There are a lot of things you can do.
I got nervous when it came on to GF. There was alot of chances when I could of shine falco off of the stage. And there was a lot of chances when I could of punished him.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I would love to critique videos for people but it's really hard for me to find time while I work and go to uni full time....
I haven't even played melee in weeks =O!!!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lol ruby, trying to get critiqued twice before i've gotten it once, no love my *** =D

also i'm not complaining i can wait it's whatev

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgWqdOD1hw

fox ditto advice? there's a couple more on my latest vids.

thanks

also fox vs falcon, friendlies but still could use a general basis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cdp5UEWibw
Disclaimer: These won't be hyper in-depth like unknown/PP/etc, and I'm not going to nitpick.

Fox dittos:

0:20: After the utilt, I feel there were better follow-ups. Surprisingly the nair put you into a very good position, despite the fact that you azen dashed mid-edgeguard. A regrab, or a usmash could have set up more follow-ups, and more damage depending on his DI.

After that the game is a series of ineffectual throws. You manage to get quite a lot of grab opprotunities, but you don't get nearly enough mileage off them. Dreamland is a large enough stage where you can get a lot of FDesque grab combos, AND continue them with platform follow-ups due to the large middle-area. Even if you don't intend on chain grabbing, you missed a lot of tech chase opportunities after the uthrow usmash. Remember that you don't even have to predict where Fox techs. you're fast enough to react to it with relative ease. You can literally walk after no-tech, and no-tech, to roll and usmash again.

There are other nit-picky things that could be point out, but for the most part I think you just need to work on refining your Fox. It doesn't seem nearly as competent as it could be. Your movement seems a little jagged, and I can see that when you have grabs, and other opprotunities, your mind (to me) seems to be going "Alright, cool. I grabbed him. What now?" "Now I've thrown him. Uhhhhhhhhhh..... USMASH. Oh wait, he's landed already. :("

Just generally it doesn't seem like you have well thought-out responses and follow-ups to alot of on-stage things. You are, however, pretty good at edgeguarding.

Fox vs Falcon:

0:11: dat ain't falco.

When you tech vs a Falcon throw, don't shine. All falcon has to do is wait a little, and react to your tech option. Shining is only a good option when you no-tech, then get-up in place.

When approaching Falcon, try not to approach him with a nair at low percentage who isn't shielding. If you do manage to catch them when they're shielding and you manage to get a shine wavedash, try not to wavedash after gim because all Falcon has to do is mash grab and you'll waveshine right into it. Generally, just try to approach Falcon with maximum distance dairs. They have to anticipate the dair, and hold away during the drill for Fox not to get the shine off afterward, and if you over shoot it, you mess up their di.

If you do manage to get a nair off when they aren't ccing, possibly anticipating a dair, and get the shine off, it's a safer option just to not persue them after the shine.

1:10: dat ain't falcon.

1:15: I really didn't like this. You have falcon scared, and in shield, yet you just ineffectually dash danced in his grab range. You could have grabbed him, or naired behind him and forced a roll, which you then could have punished.

1:32: When you knocked him off the stage, you didn't have to get so overzealous and jump out after him. If he opted to recover high, all you had to do was kick him in the face as he returned. If he opted for a low recovery, take the ledge.

Top Bottom