• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

PK Webb

Smash Champion
does bair have more shield hit stun than nair?????? if so shudn't bair shine be used more than nair shine....im pretty sure if seen this discussed sumwhere but idk where

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Bair has a longer recovery period than nair. Nair is better for shield pressure.

We should try to get out of the habit of going to town on the opponent's shield all the time. Sometimes you miss the opportunity to catch them as they try to escape because you're too busy with techskill. Happens to me all the time.

Alch0ol

Smash Cadet
Do you guys have any videos of some really good shield pressure by a fox player? And what about d-air shine shield pressure? I thought that was fairly useful.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Repeated dair shine isn't that great because Fox's drill always has a frame gap after the dair and before the shine. But in my experience it's good when you mix it in with other stuff, like particularly fast dairs after a shine, because it often beats out oos options like Doc's usmash oos.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i wasnt replying to you, just saying in general. if you're going to spend considerable amounts of time shield pressuring, you're better off shine grabbing early or baiting the roll.

SKidd

Smash Master
Nair shining is hard for me
I regularly jump with X, but I waveshine, shdl, etc. with Y.

Also, is dair shine better than nair shine?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Tru that. I try to Down air> shine upsmash on peach and Capt.Falcon.
D-air> u-grab on Marth, Samus.

Alch0ol

Smash Cadet
Can any other fox player do shield pressure like mango? that nair shining shield pressure looks soo good.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
i wasnt replying to you, just saying in general. if you're going to spend considerable amounts of time shield pressuring, you're better off shine grabbing early or baiting the roll.
You have to do some shield pressuring to make those things effective though. Baiting something punishable is the goal of shield pressuring.

why is d-air so inconsistent? can people really punish it if you do it correctly?
I'm not sure exactly what Brookman is referring to but the situations where dair doesn't work are:

-when you miss slightly and don't connect with all the hits/they SDI it (happens a lot on dumb characters like Samus)
-when they are in the air when you hit them with dair (they get no stun when they land and will probably hit you with something)
-when shield pressuring, if you mess up even slightly there's enough of a frame gap to get shieldgrabbed/other fast moves oos

Tru that. I try to Down air> shine upsmash on peach and Capt.Falcon.
D-air> u-grab on Marth, Samus.
why would you go for grab against Samus? It doesn't lead to anything. Usmash is better for the most part.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Just listen to Sveet, guys. Do the same thing every time cause it's the BEST OPTION. **** works.

Imo, the main usefulness of dair on shields is that you can hitconfirm it and follow up with a waveshine or whatever. You have to be nearly perfect with that ****, though. And I certainly wouldn't recommend it against characters with really fast out of shield options.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Can any other fox player do shield pressure like mango? that nair shining shield pressure looks soo good.
The thing that makes Mango's shield pressure amazing isn't the nair shines... any Fox worth his salt can do those. It's how well Mango terrorizes his opponent into staying in their shield and enduring that **** because he makes you feel like rolling etc. isn't even an option. Or something...

PB&J

Smash Hero
hey, i just did this combo to mario(twice actually)

drill shine >wave dash > drill shine > d-throw tech chase> back throw> full jump> dair> up tilt > up air> death

try it out..it worked twice

Brookman

Smash Hero
hey, i just did this combo to mario(twice actually)

drill shine >wave dash > drill shine > d-throw tech chase> back throw> full jump> dair> up tilt > up air> death

try it out..it worked twice
You used a platform??

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The thing that makes Mango's shield pressure amazing isn't the nair shines... any Fox worth his salt can do those. It's how well Mango terrorizes his opponent into staying in their shield and enduring that **** because he makes you feel like rolling etc. isn't even an option. Or something...
His nair shines are extremely good, but there's more to it. It's because he's perfect/consistent enough to stay almost completely safe and even if you think you've found an opening he mixes up his timings extremely well. He's also really good at picking up on changes in his opponent's mental state (like when you're panicking/feel trapped in your shield/have to get away as soon as possible) and he can do all this without focusing on it too much so he's still able to catch rolls and stuff on reaction.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Back throw Marios onto platforms and then hit them :D

It doesn't work if they survival DI and then wiggle but nobody does that.

Looool if I hit two drillshines as a combo on a Mario I'd probably keep doing it because it means they're not SDIing the drill and then I'd try to throw them off the level after I did my 30-40 damage. Or I'd waveshine U-smash. Because I'm BORING.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Kirbykaze, wiggle doesn't affect hitstun.

Edit: I now realize that you're saying the Mario won't have to tech on the platform. Touche.

PB&J

Smash Hero
it was on yoshi's and on a platform where the drill uptilt to up air hit..funny thing is the first time i back threw by mistake but the second i did it on purpose and it worked the same

Top Bottom