• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Idk if anyone has mentioned this but upsmash and up b can both cancel prejump. Going back on that debate we had a while ago. Ill try some other moves and characters later.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
kanelol's response kind of ... highlights a problem here hahaha

unless he was being sarcastic/joking :p

anyway whatever the fox boards are fun

kinda gay when otto doesnt post tho
no yeah i was joking

but only sort of halfway

because i dont have anyone to play against

:[

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I can't even tell if Brookman is sarcastic or not, lol.

Also, yeah, double-shining is pretty crazy shield pressure. Double-shining isn't really that hard (it's doing it consecutively and consistently that's hard), and it adds on some mad pressure if you do it.

Brookman

Smash Hero
My favorite thing about the double shine is launching people into the air and off the stage. Single shine's (vs. people who slide) just give them the edge. Knocking them off stage with a double shine is so clutch.

I highly recommend getting comfortable with the motion and also getting comfortable short hopping or even wavedashing out.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman

look at this picture fffffff

ragequit
ya, actually

Knowing the hitboxes doesn't matter if you don't know how to use them and the best way to do that is through experience

My favorite thing about the double shine is launching people into the air and off the stage. Single shine's (vs. people who slide) just give them the edge. Knocking them off stage with a double shine is so clutch.

I highly recommend getting comfortable with the motion and also getting comfortable short hopping or even wavedashing out.
Ya doubleshine is p useful. This tactic works as well as against foxes/falcos who like to DI up or CC cause it knocks them on the ground/into the air and then down to oblivion if they are anywhere near the edge.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
But i thought the second shine cancels the knockback from the first shine so theres only as much knockback as one shine

or am i just stupid

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
Well the thing about 2 shines is that the first one will knock them down/on the ground or "use" their upward DI and then the second one sends them really far down if they are near the edge.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Without hitstun the timing is different. It may be that your too slow, or possibly too fast.
Not... really, actually. The hitstop (hitlag, whatever you wanna call it lol - the "freeze" frames) that changes the timing only occurs after the first time; by the time you go and input the jump->second shine, the timing is exactly the same cuz the hitstop has worn off.

I'm pretty sure dashdancedan is right on the doubleshine thing since he's saying exactly what I was saying for like a page and a half lolol.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
if you can jab reset someone close to the edge, dash away and then dash back and dbl shine as they are getting up. pretty much a guaranteed gimp/easy edge guard.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Not... really, actually. The hitstop (hitlag, whatever you wanna call it lol - the "freeze" frames) that changes the timing only occurs after the first time; by the time you go and input the jump->second shine, the timing is exactly the same cuz the hitstop has worn off.

I'm pretty sure dashdancedan is right on the doubleshine thing since he's saying exactly what I was saying for like a page and a half lolol.
lol, cuz I said it he is right. toph *****.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
nope

read what i said again

i am pretty sure that dashdancedan is right because i said that same thing

AKA i am in agreement with dashdancedan as evidenced by the fact that i said the same thing

it doesn't matter what the details are though lol. the important part is that doubleshine by the ledge *****

if ur gonna call people out on stupid bull**** then at least contribute once in a while

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
nope

read what i said again

i am pretty sure that dashdancedan is right because i said that same thing

AKA i am in agreement with dashdancedan as evidenced by the fact that i said the same thing

it doesn't matter what the details are though lol. the important part is that doubleshine by the ledge *****

if ur gonna call people out on stupid bull**** then at least contribute once in a while
I contribute. lol old toph you mad! I was just messing with you.

and you mad!?

edit: but you did say ddd is right because he said the same thing I said for a page and a half.

being "pretty sure" just means you don't know but you think you are right. you think he is right because he said what you said.

I know what you meant. slow yo roll playa, you shoulda known I was messing with you.

also if you go back you would see I was pretty much in agreement.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
lol yea exactly, i dont know for 100% but i think im right

i know 100% that doubleshine by the ledge is awesome though

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
if you can jab reset someone close to the edge, dash away and then dash back and dbl shine as they are getting up. pretty much a guaranteed gimp/easy edge guard.
anytime they are laying down it should work it doesnt have to be during a reset

for instance to set up for this i would do a run up waveshine on them to knock them down near the edge then do it quick

or after they miss a tech u can just nail them with it in general

though id rather just take a free up smash combo

but yea remember to take those free hits like whats the point in jabbing them and risking that they buffered a getup attack and **** u in ur *** for trying to do something out of the ordinary lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
i think he's just saying that a jab reset near the ledge is one example of a somewhat unorthodox time to go for a doubleshine

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i think he's just saying that a jab reset near the ledge is one example of a somewhat unorthodox time to go for a doubleshine
^this^

and if you get the jab reset it gives you a bigger time frame to react. like you can think "k i got the jab, now i know i can get the dbl shine" so it's more planning, less reaction based.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well what if they buffer the getup attack like flux just said haha. or buffer a roll.

I guess if you are standing there you could probably punish a roll on reaction but you might get hit with getup.

So evolve into jab reset and shield over them and double shine oos if they getup attack and Wd oos to punish a roll.

earla

Smash Lord
how frame tight is aerial dj shine > bair?

whats best technique to do this input correctly?

saw lovage do it out of an uthrow.

is it useful or just a gimmick?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
well what if they buffer the getup attack like flux just said haha. or buffer a roll.
if you thought like that all the time, you wouldn't be able to combo anything. "what if they DI this way! what if they do this!" etc etc

so lemme ask you, what if they're below ~30% so they can't buffer a getup attack?

THEN YOURE ALL GOOD

and so what if they buffer a getup attack? most likely you were gonna try to combo them anyway, so big deal! nothing changes except the payoff!

So evolve into jab reset and shield over them and double shine oos if they getup attack and Wd oos to punish a roll.
kline this is why sometimes i really think you should post less and get more actual experience...

double shine oos is not going to have enough momentum for both shines to hit...

how frame tight is aerial dj shine > bair?

whats best technique to do this input correctly?

saw lovage do it out of an uthrow.

is it useful or just a gimmick?
this is called a "shinebair" (fun fact: it's even called "shinebair" in japan, even though shines are not called shines and bairs are not called bairs!) and is pretty much just for show. anyway, it's pretty tight, and kinda does depend on your opponent's DI a lot of the time; don't worry about it for now

Top Bottom