• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Falcinho

Smash Ace
If you're already shielding (which is what we're talking about), you'll roll/dodge/whatever on the soonest possible frame.

I do suck though. No argument there.
Nope if you buffer rolls/spotdoges/jumps out of shield wiht the c-stick there is 1 frame "buffer lag" so it's the second frame

ZoSo

Smash Champion
holy **** ZoSo i just recognized your avatar

I approve

how do you feel about michael cera
He was pretty good. I didn't like the movie, though.

I said edge camping, not edge "stalling".

When she plays near the edge of a stage and CC and shields more than usual, in order to get that one grab.

What are you going to do, approach her? If you **** up ANYTHING, you get back thrown -> lose your stock (at ANY percent).

Even if you land that one hit or one shine or whatever, its not worth it. Its never worth approaching Sheik at the edge because the trade off is ****. You get grabbed you die, she gets hit...chances are she grabs the edge for frames and does it all over again.

:psycho:
stfu nub

lol raynex is a noob
I know right?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Nope if you buffer rolls/spotdoges/jumps out of shield wiht the c-stick there is 1 frame "buffer lag" so it's the second frame
I'm pretty sure about this, but I can't easily test it. Do you have any proof?

Magus posted this:

Rolling/sidestepping/jumping using the c-stick requires that your shield be up before it registers. When you 'buffer' it out of the lag of something like an l-cancelled aerial where your shield isn't already up, you're actually shielding for 1 frame after the aerial's lag and then the combination of the c-stick being held/pressed while the shield is up makes you do the associated action immediately afterwards. It isn't actually timed perfectly and it's possible to do it 1 frame faster manually, but it's pretty close and a lot more reliable.
... but it doesn't really explicitly settle anything.

mers

Smash Ace
As I've always understood it, and I've been corrected repeatedly to reach this understanding, the 1 extra frame for buffering only exists if you are NOT shielding when you buffer it. It takes one frame for the shield to start to exist, then the buffered action occurs.

HOWEVER, if you are shielding already (as in buffering something out of shieldstun), that 1 frame delay does NOT exist. The shield doesn't have to come up, and the action occurs on the first available frame.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure this is how it works.

EDIT: I didn't realize ZoSo had already said this. But yeah, he's right.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Magus reponded to my PM:

Magus420 said:
Yeah, the delay is only there if the shield isn't already up. It wouldn't apply to doing it out of shieldstun.
Arc: I haven't had a chance to test that laser thing yet. I'll let you know when I do.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I love noobs.

They turn me on.

Watching RaynEX play Sheik makes me so hot I just want to make out with Twin_A and seanthedonconsidine and Dr. Peepee. At the same time.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It was a rough translation of the phrase "what in the name"

as in, i thought the movie was fantastic, what in the name is wrong with you
I could talk about it in more detail if you want. Do you have AIM or anything?

Watching RaynEX play Sheik makes me so hot I just want to make out with Twin_A and seanthedonconsidine and Dr. Peepee. At the same time.
... is that weird?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I love noobs.

They turn me on.

what about me, david
i thought i was in on this

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Man, I have recently started Fox, and it's sort of intermediate/bad atm. I can do most of the techinical stuff, but what do I do to get better. I really don't know a lot about how to get better with him, I only learn Fox from vids and myself, never come here.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Man, I have recently started Fox, and it's sort of intermediate/bad atm. I can do most of the techinical stuff, but what do I do to get better. I really don't know a lot about how to get better with him, I only learn Fox from vids and myself, never come here.
Playing people is the easiset way to improve. Practicing your tech skill until a level that is accurate to your playstyle is entirely up to you.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
A few examples of good things that will NEVER be bad:

-Falco's lasers
-Sheik's edge camping (while in the lead)
-CCing at all times with Marth
-Shining whenever possible as Fox

At top level, the good players all have the same goals. You can channel a bit of your own personality through your character by mixing up your move choices in combos, and method of approaching edge-guards, etc. But intrinsically, pros and wannabe pros all want the same thing. Melee is hella fun, but it gets SO repetitive at times. lol

edit: 6K POSTS WOOOOOO BABY
@ Falco's lasers

Falco is vulnerable while lasering.

earla

Smash Lord
who are the best current fox players?

who are the best technical fox players?

is dash cancelling(with crouch) or wavedashing out of dash a better option? which allows you to do a move faster out of a dash?

thanks, my name is earl, im learning fox in melee. im from melbourne australia.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Best current: Jman, Mango, M2K, Lucky [I'm probably forgetting a few :\(Like the Canadians or the EUs)]
Best technical: Silent Wolf, Eggz, Lovage, Eggm, Joeplicate

I'm pretty sure crouch canceling out of Dash is faster than wavedashing if you're looking solely at which one gets a move out faster, but I personally prefer wavedash out of dash just because of the spacing options

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I like rays fox alot. he is pretty flashy and dark is as well....technical foxes.

dash canceling is alot faster. but just be aware of your spacing. you may want to wd for one reason or another. just mix **** up.

edit: ray is lunin spectra

it depends on what youre doing. chaining utilts for example. like if you utilt after uthrow and they go a little in front of you, you can walk and utilt. if they Di some youll have to WD and utilt, or dash a bit, wd and utilt. if they Di away hard youll have to dash over there, dash cancel utilt.

unknown522

Some guy
who are the best current fox players?

who are the best technical fox players?

is dash cancelling(with crouch) or wavedashing out of dash a better option? which allows you to do a move faster out of a dash?

thanks, my name is earl, im learning fox in melee. im from melbourne australia.
I'm pretty sure that the top 8-10 foxes are close to the same level. Can't really say who's better, but I'd probably say M2K/Jman.

The problem is that some are better at different matchups.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Best current: Jman, Mango, M2K, Lucky [I'm probably forgetting a few :\(Like the Canadians or the EUs)]
Best technical: Silent Wolf, Eggz, Lovage, Eggm, Joeplicate

I'm pretty sure crouch canceling out of Dash is faster than wavedashing if you're looking solely at which one gets a move out faster, but I personally prefer wavedash out of dash just because of the spacing options
i agree with the best fox's 99 percent but not with the best technical..just my opinion though..its very hard to say who is best technical when i think its all about having control of your character

earla

Smash Lord
ok im a new fox.

what techniques or combos should i practice heavily at first.

i have wavedashing + l canceling down fine.

also, short hop dair.. do i need to fast fall it for drill shine?

cheers

Top Bottom