• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Kanelol

Smash Lord
It sucks when you play Falco for a while and then you try to go back to Fox and you can only short hop like half the time because you got lazy with the superior blue bird

lord karn

Smash Master
When I first started to short hop I used my right thumb nail to press the jump button. It's almost impossible to press a button hard with your thumb nail. I think a lot of other people do this at first, too.

cjugs

Smash Ace
My fox would be so good if i could just short hop i feel like no progress is being made. its very sad to watch silent wolf and how he can do anything and there i am trying to short hop hahaha idk if anyone else is laughing but i thought that was funny. because it's true.

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
Silent Wolf is amazingly technical. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of the stuff he does is actually harder than it looks. I figured he practiced longer than I plan on playing this game lol.

Its a lost cause.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
key word is "pretty"

While we're talking about tech skill, does anyone know if silent wolf is an alien with extra muscles in his fingers or some ****, or if he just practiced like all day errhday for 9 years

im good at games and ive played melee a lot lol. i used to play vs comps until i got 100 kos every day. now i do that every 2 or 3 days.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'll $1 mm any Fox players going to APEX...
I'll take that challenge.

My fox would be so good if i could just short hop i feel like no progress is being made. its very sad to watch silent wolf and how he can do anything and there i am trying to short hop hahaha idk if anyone else is laughing but i thought that was funny. because it's true.
Everyone had to start somewhere. Back when Silent Wolf started playing, he couldn't SH either. All good players had to overcome this hurdle, and if you want to get better you will to.

Comparing yourself to players that have been doing this **** for 5+ years is absolutely silly. Especially players that know this character's technical limits inside and out.

The key to shorthopping is pressing the button fast. If you're trying to tap it lightly, well...don't do that. The controller has no pressure pads that differentiate how hard or soft you're hitting the button. A short hop is registered when the controller picks up a quick input on the jump button. You can press Y or X as hard as you like, as long as you do it fast enough. If you keep getting full jumps, you're holding on to the button for too long.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i used to have a lot of trouble short hopping with fox, now i sometimes short hop when i'm trying to full hop.

just sit there and try short hopping over and over and over. shffling with fox is beyond essential, it's mandatory. lol

JPOBS

Smash Hero
learning the advanced techniques came hella easy to me cause i came from playing smash bros 64.

the second i touched melee for the first time, i could already short hop and L-cancel. I shffl'd before i knew it was called shffling.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Do you think lvl 1 cpus have the best combo DI(by having bad survival DI?)? or is it just they dont attack as much and dont **** **** up?

I like to use the name entry trick and put me and the computer on teams, that way they never attack(team attack on). but I dont know what lvl, if any, has the "best" DI.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Kyu's a Fox slayer. I know firsthand.
Everytime I've played Kyu, it's been...well

lol ask Kyu

(I know firsthand)

-------

lvl 1 cpus are mad weird. As Marth vs. lvl 1 Fox/Falco, the space animals will start full d.i.ing uthrows and ALTERNATING left/right which is awesome practice. If you try to go Fox vs. a fastfaller and do the same thing, they NEVER d.i. the uthrow. So sad...and so random.

Like SW said, they don't attack much and act as decent combo dolls for you to throw around. Great practice for thunders.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Everytime I've played Kyu, it's been...well

lol ask Kyu

(I know firsthand)
You've only played me in friendlies... :p

jk, I'm pretty scared of RaynEX and unknown, they're harder for me than pretty much any other Fox I've played. I've gotten better though, and my fox strategy has gotten better, so don't expect an easy match.

okay :D

Lovage, SW? I'll also mm people at Cataclysm or RoM3 if you aren't going to APEX.
Ice climbers are really boring to fight, no thanks.

Do you think lvl 1 cpus have the best combo DI(by having bad survival DI?)? or is it just they dont attack as much and dont **** **** up?

I like to use the name entry trick and put me and the computer on teams, that way they never attack(team attack on). but I dont know what lvl, if any, has the "best" DI.
i fight lvl 1s. less attacking, closest thing to DIing out of my combos.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yeah Kyu I agree with SW, I will play friendlies but I'm not looking to moneymatch an ICs player with fox
I'll do it with falcon or peach though

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point. If you were to fight Ice Climbers in a tournament setting, do you have a more comfortable counter-pick? Or are you more likely to try to make it work as fox?

Top Bottom