• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
raynex, what are you doing this weekend? big no johns :)
It's Unknown522's b-day this weekend. So we're chillin in the city. Its too last minute anyways. Thanks for the heads up though.

You've only played me in friendlies... :p

jk, I'm pretty scared of RaynEX and unknown, they're harder for me than pretty much any other Fox I've played. I've gotten better though, and my fox strategy has gotten better, so don't expect an easy match.
Looking forward to it.

I probably will lose. I suck vs ice climbers. I'm not gonna waste my time looking for some ICs player that in reality I'd just want to avoid lol.
I can only imagine this mindset being detrimental to a "winning against ICs" strategy. If you're bad at a match-up, play the **** out of it until you're comfortable with it. The last thing you want to happen is you getting embarassed at a big tourny in a MU you no nothing about.

cough mango cough kage cough cough

lol Otto just play lvl 1 ICs and powertrain.

I'd just go fox. I'm not completely useless against them, it's just one of my worst match ups.

@ raynex - yeah good point. i shouldlnt really avoid ICs players, but thers no point in doing mms when i can just friendly. i know people would want to beat me in friendlies anyways so they prob wouldnt sandbag.

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
I've never had the opportunity to play a decent Ice Climber player. But if I can go to a major tournament I would like to.

But lets be honest, IC are probably one of the last match-ups you are going to look for LOL. I'm gonna go to the tournament with the mindset of Shiz, where you at? M.2.k. all day. Mango, let's Tango!

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
Hey Silent Wolf, where can I find that song that you used in your 2nd tech skill video? Also the title/artist would be helpful.

Edit: I probably should have PMed this but no use crying over SD's.

unknown522

Some guy
You've only played me in friendlies... :p

jk, I'm pretty scared of RaynEX and unknown, they're harder for me than pretty much any other Fox I've played. I've gotten better though, and my fox strategy has gotten better, so don't expect an easy match.
I wouldn't expect any less.

Ice climbers are really boring to fight, no thanks.
I whole-heartedly understand this statement. They are my least favorite character to play with. On par with jiggs and peach.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
people don't like playing against peach?

lol
peach is a lot of fun, whether you are her or you're against her

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ive havent played IC fox enough to have the priveledge of saying its boring, but I haTe peach, samus, kirby. I think falco, sheik, marth are the most fun.

unknown522

Some guy

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'd just go fox. I'm not completely useless against them, it's just one of my worst match ups.

@ raynex - yeah good point. i shouldlnt really avoid ICs players, but thers no point in doing mms when i can just friendly. i know people would want to beat me in friendlies anyways so they prob wouldnt sandbag.
The way I see it, MMs against lesser used characters provides valuable information and experience that you really won't be able to find anywhere else. The scarcity of IC players in general...I shouldn't even even have to get into that. As silly as it is to say, MMs do bring out the true competitive spirit in us. You're playing for something pretty **** important. Its a legit way to gauge how well you'd do against that type of character in a competitive setting. I've never seen a player approach an MM in a casual, lazy, or uninterested manner. Its about as close to real tournament experience as you're going to get.

Don't go playing 20 mms in a row...but something like a couple of friendlies then a solid money match to wrap it up. It sucks when you don't have certain character mains in your region to practice against. This helps you make good use of your time at big tournaments.

$1 mms are underrated

this.

i used to hate the peach matchup. now i tap dat ***.
V for vendetta is one of my favourite movies. That **** monologue with all the Vs got me hooked.

What about samus?
So boring to play against. You hit her shield = disadvantage. Grab isn't amazing anymore. Waveshines aren't reliable. Dair doesn't always fully connect and you get dsmashed before you can shine.

Its all lasers and bair.

The way I see it, MMs against lesser used characters provides valuable information and experience that you really won't be able to find anywhere else. The scarcity of IC players in general...I shouldn't even even have to get into that. As silly as it is to say, MMs do bring out the true competitive spirit in us. You're playing for something pretty **** important. Its a legit way to gauge how well you'd do against that type of character in a competitive setting. I've never seen a player approach an MM in a casual, lazy, or uninterested manner. Its about as close to real tournament experience as you're going to get.

Don't go playing 20 mms in a row...but something like a couple of friendlies then a solid money match to wrap it up. It sucks when you don't have certain character mains in your region to practice against. This helps you make good use of your time at big tournaments.

$1 mms are underrated
yeah, but i feel at a major tournament people wouldnt want to not play as competitive as possible. they want to raise their rep and be seen as good etc. so you may as well just do friendlies if youre someone with a rep, cuz theyll want to try against you. i just hate any mms vs match ups i dont know like ICs cuz id be more likely to lose and people would take it to their heads lol.

as for samus, not the funnest match up, but after becoming more comfortable with it its not too bad.

of course its a factor, its just not always the most important factor. usually practice or pride is more important than a few bucks, unless youre just doing a mm for the sake of trying to take money from someone.

unknown522

Some guy
lol, we don't have any. Bam used to be our best falco. On EC Canada, it's probably me or Raynex now. It's pretty sad.

We also have IB and Weon-X (who just moved from Chile recently)

unknown522

Some guy
haha, it's cool. My american geography sucks, though it's been getting better because of smash.

Also, kels may come down here dring the summer, though it's a 12 hour drive from where he is. We were playing pokemon and talking about it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
yeah, but i feel at a major tournament people wouldnt want to not play as competitive as possible. they want to raise their rep and be seen as good etc. so you may as well just do friendlies if youre someone with a rep, cuz theyll want to try against you. i just hate any mms vs match ups i dont know like ICs cuz id be more likely to lose and people would take it to their heads lol.

as for samus, not the funnest match up, but after becoming more comfortable with it its not too bad.
Agreed. I don't know why I forgot about that. Most notable players going to a big tournament are already pretty concerned about keeping up appearances, myself included. Not to mention that good, focused competitive practice is literally walking around you at events like Pound and RoM. Everyone at a big tournament is looking to do the same thing, improve their playing and prove themselves - with or without the incentive of few a bucks.

I guess you could take my statements and extract them from that setting. Apply them to local situations or to just this one. Its better you get it over with and lose until you learn the MU. If you play competitively, it'll be a recurring problem that's going to bite you in the *** eventually. Happened to me vs. Peach, and now I eat peaches. So tasty.

But to each his own. You're general skill will most likely get you by awkward match-ups so ride that out until you face Chu or something. :bee:

idk that wasnt a good tourny for him

he lost his confidence somewhere
He needs to find that **** quicktime.

Who are Canada's best Falcos (not counting BC), because I know Cali has some really good ones between Zhu, Falcomist, DEHF, and Mango?
Unknown is smoking some crack. Our Falcos are okay but not the best. Top two would probably be BluntedObject and Dieslow. But they got nooooothing on the SoCal Falcos.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i love playing jiggs. with both fox and falco. i think it's a really interesting, strategic matchup.

i hate peach because im really bad at her, but i'm sure i'd enjoy it if i had more practice.

Top Bottom