• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
in some ways i agree, but you can't make that your whole style vs marth. If the marth simply chose to not do one of those punishable moves, then you'll be ****ed with no openings.

Its actually very safe for fox to approach marth when he jumps in the air, as long as he is waiting to do a fair. You can simply run at him and shine him, CCing the fair as it hits then getting a free combo. Its quite hard to time the fair properly on the defensive in order to not let this happen.

Theres a lot of other really fundamental things you can exploit against marth, but those are much more difficult to explain in words on the forums and are especially important for you to discover on your own.

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info Sveet. The running shine thing sounds pretty good, I'll give it a try. Thanks to you too iamthemicrowave, good info even though I already knew to punish fsmash, Utilt etc. That's what lead to the problem. I got really good at punishing those moves and now my marth playing friend got smarter about it and started playing way gayer/safer.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Yeah running shine isn't a really good idea. You can't cc a tipper fair (iirc) and even if you do and then shine, they'll still be in the air and once they hit the ground they will have no more stun while you're still in the lag from wavedashing.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I agree with sveet: the point is if you see marth jumping and you're at low %, you should run towards him. if he hits you with any aerial on the way up you cc it you can punish it, if not then you're already cancelling your dash by holding down so shine and beat anything that he does
however if he's on his way down it's a different story (although I bet you could still punish fair)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im just telling you what kels does to me. There are ways around it and ways to get an advantage from it, but basically running into marth has no negatives for fox directly.

idea

Smash Master
Yeah running shine isn't a really good idea. You can't cc a tipper fair (iirc) and even if you do and then shine, they'll still be in the air and once they hit the ground they will have no more stun while you're still in the lag from wavedashing.
You can u-smash them when you CC it, unless they're moving away from you.

- Unknown522

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Why dont you just do a running sidestep when you think marth is gonna swing.

Its not 100 reliable but it works sometimes. You can bait them into waiting for the sidestep and punish them doing empty jumps or just doing nothing.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
or you could just, you know, let the marth fair and grab him in his lag.

DD baiting fairs is like a fox staple vs marth

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
How do you beat samus and peach.

I always get downsmashed by both no matter what I do. should I just be more patient and camp more or work on being more aggressive?

Turazrok

Smash Master
How do you beat samus and peach.

I always get downsmashed by both no matter what I do. should I just be more patient and camp more or work on being more aggressive?
They're probably ccing your nairs or something.

You could....

SHOOT MORE LASERS

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yo, how do you guys fight Ganon? I swear it's an impossible match-up. M2K always talks about how you "run out of room" vs Jiggs. Well, vs Ganon it's the same, except when you run out of space vs Ganon and get hit, you just die, or Ganon just hits you once more. With Jiggs, she has to go out there and give you a one-two punch.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yo, how do you guys fight Ganon? I swear it's an impossible match-up. M2K always talks about how you "run out of room" vs Jiggs. Well, vs Ganon it's the same, except when you run out of space vs Ganon and get hit, you just die, or Ganon just hits you once more. With Jiggs, she has to go out there and give you a one-two punch.
Don't fight him if he is airborne.

Attack him as soon as he is about to hit the ground.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Don't fight him if he is airborne.

Attack him as soon as he is about to hit the ground.
hmm, i disagree with this advice

ganon's aerials are slow, so as soon as he's in the air, jump and hit him with anything.

this is assuming you aren't being baited with treating fairs.
waiting till he's about to hit the ground is good too though

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you can catch him as soon as he gets airborne sure go for it.

Its just risky. I tried giving a good rule of thumb. His upair especially doesn't come out very slow and ganons love double jump dair over aerials. I mean I wouldn't risk it very often.

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't be too concerned with how well you do vs computers. They are extremely predictable and of little use to you to practice against. Just start out practicing against lvl 1-3 computers to get the techniques down. Alternatively, plug in another controller for a dummy or you could use the masterhand glitch to play by yourself.

TheBrownFox

Smash Rookie
You shouldn't be too concerned with how well you do vs computers. They are extremely predictable and of little use to you to practice against. Just start out practicing against lvl 1-3 computers to get the techniques down. Alternatively, plug in another controller for a dummy or you could use the masterhand glitch to play by yourself.
would you recomend learing to l-cancel or short hop first? (which would be most helpful in learning to shuffl)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Chu, g-reg, Boss, Plank, Chillin, Chinesahh, Plank, Wife, or any top player in MD/VA ... Justin (Voodoo) would have a great shot at beating any of them if he counterpicked gayer. It's kind of his thing to go the same character all tournament, though, so he ends up losing when he runs into a bad match-up.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
IMO ganon soft counters fox. obviously few will agree with me but this matchup is really tough. as usual with fox, all your slightest mistakes will have massive negative ramifications. if you can get within shine distance of ganon then you're doing something right. the hard part is getting past his bairs/fairs/uairs which he constantly spams in your zone.
this is another one of the matchups (peach, puff, marth) that I think you will never win through approaching. laser ganons to make them come to you and then punish their whiffed aproaches. if they cover missed fairs with jab, fullhop bair punish their aerials. if they shffl uair when you full hop over them, then empty shorthop/waveland in front of them to throw them off
basically if you can get off the stage or coming towards you then you can beat him

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
IMO ganon soft counters fox.
i disagree but i think what you really mean is that fox slight counters ganon but has to do 5x as much work. the matchup is just easier for ganon. if he makes one mistake, fox hits him a couple times, but if fox makes one mistake, he gets ***** and can easily lose a stock. it's like ganon slightly beats fox at a medium competitive level but at high levels fox beats ganon, IMO.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea i disagree with the notion that ganon soft counters fox as well

but honestly, i dislike discussing matchups under pretenses such as "if you make a mistake you will get punished hard"

i mean, you're fox, you really think if anyone makes a mistake vs you that you wont make them QQ?
i also hate the notion that "its easier to make mistakes as fox'

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Hey JPOBS
Fox is the easiest character in the game to screw up with
go ahead and hate the notion but you better accept it if you plan to play fox because it is a fact

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I know he is just because he requires the highest apm, but its entirely possible and realistic to play fox for entire sets/tournies and not mess up.

in fact, people do it :/

fox >> ganon

joeplicate

Smash Master
or you could just, you know, let the marth fair and grab him in his lag.

DD baiting fairs is like a fox staple vs marth
idk what you're talking about, fair is essentially unpunishable if they do it at the end of their jump and l-cancel. marth will probably grab YOU before you grab him, ken used to do this a lot iirc

Im just telling you what kels does to me. There are ways around it and ways to get an advantage from it, but basically running into marth has no negatives for fox directly.
getting grabbed? idk you have to be REALLY good with your approaches against marth. if they predict when you're gonna come in, ESPECIALLY if you have bad spacing on your nair (or whatever you approach with), you'll get punished really bad.

vs ganon i think that approaching with a fullhop nair is really good, it usually hits them with the janky part of the hitbox and stuffs whatever move they were gonna do. better than a sh nair approach anyways, which just gets eaten up by fair. after you're inside his range (with fullhop nair), that's when you go crazy and play fast

Top Bottom