• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Lovage

Smash Hero
1 more thing....what r good followups if I throw falcon/falco up at low percent and they land on a platform??????
if they don't di and don't tech -> do a uair on their missed tech to usmash/grab
if they di to the edge of the platform and don't tech -> try to uair, but you may not have time depending on what stage it's on and their exact percent, so you may need to bair

if they tech at all, wait for a second to see which way they tech, and then do a bair in that direction. it's possible to uair but you'd have to be a bit more precise.

another thing you can do if they don't tech is a full hop drill reset. i only recommend this if they're at low percent and in the middle of the platform, if you attempt it when they're at the edge of the platform, it's very easy for them to ASDI off the platform. once you drill them they might stand straight up or they might roll to the edge of the platform. you can usually get all their options with walk forward usmash, but sometimes you might need to grab

Incronaut

Smash Ace
what direction is survival asdi? (if there is one, like how up for di is survival di)

and do people actually sdi? or is it too fast to do and just stick with asdi?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
survival ASDI and SDI should be in opposite direction of how you're being hit in order to give you more room to fly through after the hit. so if you get fsmashed, you should SDI/ASDI down and away from where you are going to go flying, and then DI up and towards after you've put in your SDI inputs.
and yes people actually SDI

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFZ1UGeNYqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS3fXchu-ec

The set I had vs kage and vwins where I camped them back wasn't recorded. It was really gay.
Hey, Unknown, in the first video it seemed like every time HMW jabbed you, you buffered roll away to get out of it. I am assuming you did that to get away from jab into grab. Is that correct and if so, is that the best option for getting out of it? What is wrong with cc jabbing him back?

I'm trying to improve my fox more consciously than in the past, now.

Lovage

Smash Hero
survival ASDI and SDI should be in opposite direction of how you're being hit in order to give you more room to fly through after the hit. so if you get fsmashed, you should SDI/ASDI down and away from where you are going to go flying, and then DI up and towards after you've put in your SDI inputs.
and yes people actually SDI

yea SDi is one of the things that separates really really good players from great players

most SDI is used very subtly to escape combos or to position yourself better. mango does this on pretty much every time you hit him at low percents so he can barely escape combos. like if you nair him with fox at low percent, he often times SDI's away and then grabs you during your landing lag. it's pretty gay. and people like S2J are really really hard to drillshine usmash cuz he always goes crazy on the drill and usually SDI's out of the range of your shine. oh yea and it's impossible to infinite him on pokemon stadium cuz he SDI's behind you and then rolls.

you can "survival sdi" but depending on the move, it can hurt you more than help you. on low hitlag moves like sheik's fair, if you attempt to SDI it, your survival DI will most likely get fuked up and you'll die way earlier than you should of.

on high hitlag moves like falcon's knee, survival SDI is pretty reliable, and you should be able to get 4+ successful SDI inputs and then still input the correct survival DI before the higlag ends. silent spectre does this a lot against fox's bair, and falcon's knee.

unknown522

Some guy
Hey, Unknown, in the first video it seemed like every time HMW jabbed you, you buffered roll away to get out of it. I am assuming you did that to get away from jab into grab. Is that correct and if so, is that the best option for getting out of it? What is wrong with cc jabbing him back?

I'm trying to improve my fox more consciously than in the past, now.
I didn't CC the jabs, though I should've. You can always buffer roll out of jab -> grab "combos", as long as you don't SDI up. If you CC doc's jab, then that's a free u-smash for you. Don't jab them back, because they will just CC it then d-smash you.

How do u guys deal with frustration...like when I play I see a lot of things that opponent is gonna do but yet I still get hit....in turn it frustrates me then I lose interest if it happens often enuff....

Another question is does practicing against cpu rilly help ur tech...like does it make u consistent against humans cuz idk if it does since i mess up more often vs a human than a cpu
I've flown off the handle so many times. I think you just mature out of it, or get fed up with being mad.

you gotta be pretty good before you can camp successfully (like how unknown was doing against brandon)

if you don't know how to space yourself and you try it, you're prolly gonna get *****
true. It usually takes practice. Like when Jman, or DJN, or when hbox used to camp hardcore (I almost punched him. It was pretty funny). It takes practice and experience.

Like I'm thinking it's my mindset

In alot of those situations where HMW would approach him after camping the platforms i'd try to do something with it rather than hit and run.
true. If you can get a u-air while coming down, or hit him with a b-air, you can possibly get 3 hits. I hate when moves randomly trade though and lead to a potential gimp or combo.

Okay, so basically, you move around on the platforms, lure them in with lasers, and then hit them with an aerial (Nair/Bair) when they try to get near you?
yeah. Well vs doc, he doesn't have the range to fight back against b-air. Also, because of doc's weight, it feels like I can't get any good combos so it's not even worth approaching sometimes. I used to get ***** sometimes by raynex's fox, so I understand the matchup pretty well from doc's side.

The thing with platform camping though is that you only want to do it against characters that have trouble reaching you while you're on the platform (peach/jiggs sometimes/low tiers that aren't pikachu/falco). If you try it vs someone like falcon or marth, they will probably just u-air you a lot and try to keep you from coming down. It's usually bad to be on platforms for a long time vs characters with high vertical range and/or good air mobility. The top platform is Godsend though.

Kool stuff on that ledge info
When I see certain foxes waveshine sumtime they throw in waveshine nair but the nair almost looks instant...can sum1 tell me how its done or is it just pure finger speed
are you talking about jumping out of the shine with a n-air?

advice later. It's 6:30am over here.

1 more thing....what r good followups if I throw falcon/falco up at low percent and they land on a platform??????
I always u-air, unless they are at edgeguarding percent, then I b-air them.

With u-air, I always get at least 2 more hits.

I don't trust Fox's lasers, I feel like if I start shooting, I'll get *****. Any advice on when it's best to laser?
I feel the same vs marth and falco. Just do them at a distance, or if they are camping you, then stop if they're running toward you.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
yea SDi is one of the things that separates really really good players from great players

most SDI is used very subtly to escape combos or to position yourself better. mango does this on pretty much every time you hit him at low percents so he can barely escape combos. like if you nair him with fox at low percent, he often times SDI's away and then grabs you during your landing lag. it's pretty gay. and people like S2J are really really hard to drillshine usmash cuz he always goes crazy on the drill and usually SDI's out of the range of your shine. oh yea and it's impossible to infinite him on pokemon stadium cuz he SDI's behind you and then rolls.

you can "survival sdi" but depending on the move, it can hurt you more than help you. on low hitlag moves like sheik's fair, if you attempt to SDI it, your survival DI will most likely get fuked up and you'll die way earlier than you should of.

on high hitlag moves like falcon's knee, survival SDI is pretty reliable, and you should be able to get 4+ successful SDI inputs and then still input the correct survival DI before the higlag ends. silent spectre does this a lot against fox's bair, and falcon's knee.
Axe, and GG7 from AZ do this ****. It's like impossible to shine combo Axe with falco at low percentage, and GG7 ALWAYS goes like 10000 feet away when I drill him with Fox.

It's really gay. :|

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I love smash DI, I really want to get the hang of quarter circling it rather than just DDing (I learned the KDJ method where if you can dashdance with shiek you can smash DI upthrow upair against fox the same way, i feel quarter stick is more accurate though).

I'm just not entirely sure I'm starting and ending the quarter circle DI in the correct locations, the next time I play my friends I should probably ask them to upair me a bit and work on it. Am I correct in assuming I want to start below the horizontal when doing the quarter circle and rotating from like 3:20 to 11:45?

If someone could explain it in clock form I'd appreciate it.

Smash DIing infinite shines and drillshines I think are really easy once you actually commit to trying to smash DI everything. It's just a matter of making it a part of your game and using it. So many people just don't even bother to try beyond doing it once or twice.

I guess it helps being left handed though (YEAHYAAA control stick dominance!).

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
I love smash DI, I really want to get the hang of quarter circling it rather than just DDing (I learned the KDJ method where if you can dashdance with shiek you can smash DI upthrow upair against fox the same way, i feel quarter stick is more accurate though).

I'm just not entirely sure I'm starting and ending the quarter circle DI in the correct locations, the next time I play my friends I should probably ask them to upair me a bit and work on it. Am I correct in assuming I want to start below the horizontal when doing the quarter circle and rotating from like 3:20 to 11:45?

If someone could explain it in clock form I'd appreciate it.

Smash DIing infinite shines and drillshines I think are really easy once you actually commit to trying to smash DI everything. It's just a matter of making it a part of your game and using it. So many people just don't even bother to try beyond doing it once or twice.

I guess it helps being left handed though (YEAHYAAA control stick dominance!).
Wow, this is amazing sdi info. I can't wait to try out the sheik-timing thing. Does the weight of your character affect their ability to sdi out of moves? Like, is it easier for a heavy character like fox to sdi out of a drill than peach or jiggs ( or vice-versa ) ?

Incronaut

Smash Ace

wow i always thought peach and jiggs players need no tech skill.. guess i was wrong

EWC

Smash Ace
You can do it even if they don't CC. It seems kinda random though. It depends very precisely on where the shine hits them.

does anyone know why you can dash grab a computer fox (probably all the other characters too) off the ground and not a human? what does the cpu do to be enable you to grab him is what im asking

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
...not sure.

ive waveshined grabbed another human before.

but i dont think ive ever tried to grab one off the ground

unknown522

Some guy
does anyone know why you can dash grab a computer fox (probably all the other characters too) off the ground and not a human? what does the cpu do to be enable you to grab him is what im asking
dunno. It's like smash64. Marth can do it to fox with d-throw as well. It's pretty funny.

But yeah, raynex did it to a few people at mass madness. Dunno how it works.

I mean Nair outta shine without seeing any jump animation
I slide "Y" to "A". Mostly vs marth and other characters that can't do anything about it.

voorhese

Smash Master
dunno. It's like smash64. Marth can do it to fox with d-throw as well. It's pretty funny.

But yeah, raynex did it to a few people at mass madness. Dunno how it works.

I slide "Y" to "A". Mostly vs marth and other characters that can't do anything about it.
i just use JC grab for it, but as for dash attack grab, i havent tried that

Lovage

Smash Hero
i have no idea what causes it, but one time i did it accidentally to lucky in a friendly...so it works on non cpus i guess

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i usually only make it happen when they edge cancel a missed tech and i get there fast enough to grab them. They always think i grabbed them from the ground so i let them think that even though i've never been able to do the real one :(

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
it might have to do with what hit them before the shine, then. I was doing uthrow > shine > WD regrab around those percentages in friendlies, and it always works vs computers.

EWC

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it works because they bounce off the ground a little bit when you shine them, and your run grab scoops low enough to catch them out of it. I've only ever done it to a cpu, so I don't know if that effects it. But cpus have some pretty weird DI sometimes, so maybe they do something that makes them bounce higher or later.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think it might be a very specific timing on any missed tech "bounce"

kinda like how when they're bouncing like that near an edge, you can spike them with marth off the edge even tho they're still grounded technically.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah i think its the bounce too. If you have a spike/meteor and hit someone during that bounce they will get sent back to the ground instead of being popped up, which leads me to believe that during the bounce they arent actually considered grounded by the game, which is why you can grab them.

Top Bottom