• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

Really?

This is the face of trolling in 2010?

I guess it's hard to surpass the previous generations of Smashboards phenomena, namely VirusBlueMage, but **** this is horrible.

NeighborhoodP also gets honorable mention for his good work prior to VBM but VBM took the world by storm.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I need some advice Fox boards.

Keep in mind I was playing well at the beginning because the crowd hadn't gathered yet. When that happens I get nervous. When I get nervous I just keep moving randomly and miss simple edge-guards and the like. The faster I move the more I opportunities I keep throwing away. Besides being more controlled/slowing down, do you guys have any advice?

(and don't worry, I know camping is probably my best option)

Raynex vs. Armada, Winners Bracket Round 2, Pound 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnTcPnSt-w
**** raynex i forgot how good you are

just from the first stock it looks like you get impatient sometimes, you throw out upsmashes and bairs (on edgeguards) that would've hit if you waited a tad bit longer to confirm your hit

dash dancing and then randomly upsmashing almost never works, and i'd imagine that armada with his crazy reaction times can shield it on command

you try to mix up your recovery a lot, which is good, but it seems like you go for almost too many angles sometimes. mixing it up like that is nice, but when you do something dangerous to try to trick your opponent it's almost not worth it. the risk/reward is too high

other than that you played the 2nd match really, really well
it does look like you got mad nervous though lol, that looked like the biggest issue. in that respect, i think you have to remember to be aggressive sometimes, even when you're nervous, and to take the opportunities when they come up instead of rolling away or jumping back.

once thing i noticed was that when you got nervous (3rd stock coming down from the platform, right? lol) it looked like your approaches took a turn for the worse. you ended up jumping into a bunch of moves. also, it could have been armada responding to the pressure and starting to play better, but it's still something to think about. you got caught with a lot of float back fairs.

it seems like you tried to run away a lot, especially on stock #2, but armada always had a move for you to run into, and he predicted your double jumps really well. idk, my theory on camping is that it isn't really that good, but the key to it relies in winning all the exchanges. you didn't camp the first part of that match and you were ****** **** =\, plus if you get nervous and try to focus on camping then it's a quick ticket to rapeville IMO. jman, for example, is really good at it because he can shoot his lasers really fast and present them as the problem. when the opponent focuses on this, he'll just hit them with a super-fast nair and keep shooting again to get them frustrated. in this case, armada beat you in all the exchanges. i want to say just bair more, when you're playing the double jump game and peach is in the air, but obviously it's not that simple.

you respond exceptionally well to downsmash, though
fulljump away/roll away are always what i tell myself to do, then i find myself spot dodging like a noob and getting hit haha.

good stuff
this is basically everything that came into my head while i was watching that set
feel free to take whatever you want and leave the rest, hopefully there's something you can gleam from my philosophy here. if i'm telling you things you already know, don't take it personal :). it's tough trying to critique a fox who's a lot better than me, so i tried to be really thorough.

peace!

edit:
and playing high sucks
the only thing it's good for is making you more focused,
which doesn't even matter if you're too high to execute lol

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198

Really?

This is the face of trolling in 2010?

I guess it's hard to surpass the previous generations of Smashboards phenomena, namely VirusBlueMage, but **** this is horrible.

NeighborhoodP also gets honorable mention for his good work prior to VBM but VBM took the world by storm.
funny how your examples of the best trolls are vbm and P.
i think both of them were being serious in all/most of their posts. (which i don't think counts as trolling)

i say trollking was lolmaster/brawlpro.
i used to troll the brawl threads with him when it was new.

unknown522

Some guy

just from the first stock it looks like you get impatient sometimes, you throw out upsmashes and bairs (on edgeguards) that would've hit if you waited a tad bit longer to confirm your hit

dash dancing and then randomly upsmashing almost never works, and i'd imagine that armada with his crazy reaction times can shield it on command

you try to mix up your recovery a lot, which is good, but it seems like you go for almost too many angles sometimes. mixing it up like that is nice, but when you do something dangerous to try to trick your opponent it's almost not worth it. the risk/reward is too high

it does look like you got mad nervous though lol, that looked like the biggest issue. in that respect, i think you have to remember to be aggressive sometimes, even when you're nervous, and to take the opportunities when they come up instead of rolling away or jumping back.

once thing i noticed was that when you got nervous (3rd stock coming down from the platform, right? lol) it looked like your approaches took a turn for the worse. you ended up jumping into a bunch of moves. also, it could have been armada responding to the pressure and starting to play better, but it's still something to think about. you got caught with a lot of float back fairs.

it seems like you tried to run away a lot, especially on stock #2, but armada always had a move for you to run into, and he predicted your double jumps really well. idk, my theory on camping is that it isn't really that good, but the key to it relies in winning all the exchanges. you didn't camp the first part of that match and you were ****** **** =\, plus if you get nervous and try to focus on camping then it's a quick ticket to rapeville IMO. jman, for example, is really good at it because he can shoot his lasers really fast and present them as the problem. when the opponent focuses on this, he'll just hit them with a super-fast nair and keep shooting again to get them frustrated. in this case, armada beat you in all the exchanges. i want to say just bair more, when you're playing the double jump game and peach is in the air, but obviously it's not that simple.

fulljump away/roll away are always what i tell myself to do, then i find myself spot dodging like a noob and getting hit haha.

good stuff
this is basically everything that came into my head while i was watching that set
feel free to take whatever you want and leave the rest, hopefully there's something you can gleam from my philosophy here. if i'm telling you things you already know, don't take it personal :). it's tough trying to critique a fox who's a lot better than me, so i tried to be really thorough.

peace!

edit:
and playing high sucks
Good post. Apparently raynex doesn't remember half of these things I told him, but oh well.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
KirbyKaze on the fox boards??? WTF LOL

Unknown we still haven't played. Let's do that next time we're in the same place.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i was in a random chat with kirbykaze and he was all like "OMG IT'S THE WOMBO MASTER!!!! LUMPY PLEASE MAKE ME GOOD AT SMASH" and i was all like "naw, trick... naw."

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
practice. just learn when you should be hitting b, there's nothing we can tell you that can really help.

Raynex you were doublejump camping a little riskily in my opinion, sometimes you'd get hit out of your dj by nair/dash attack because of this
at 7:44 armada knew you were gunna go for that ledge cancel, I think he meant you nair you. One of my favorite mindgames is after I have done that once, I'll do a ledgestall then a high dj off the ledge spaced to do the side b, but I won't actually do it. If they take the bait and throw a move out on that plat then I just waveland onto the stage and go from there
I also think you should buffer rolls out of those dsmashes on your shield, or at least light shield. It's tempting to wd oos and punish but I don't put that kind of faith in my shield, I get poked too often for me to see it as a fair trade. Maybe there is some shield angling you could do to get around that?
also I love your decisions. You did an excellent job at dodging his nairs oos when you hit his shield. Near the end he stopped trying to do it because it never worked, I think that's your chance to do stuff on his shield like you would with falcon. even shine jc grab would have been working.
also when you guys in close quarters spacing each other and he floats high and waits for his chance you aerial, you should have just lasered him. You don't risk a trade, or getting hit that way, and you still tack on some damage. It's also at the height for fullhop triple laser to hit 2 shots.
also you had some GREAT DI that set.
the only thing I can really say you should do more is ftilt. Especially at the end, ftilt would have been the safest choice on your ledge guards and probably would have won you that game.
for instance, when I dair approach people and I land behind them too far for shine to work, I just ftilt their backs. I hope I was able to help!
Alot of good advice. I'll remember the illusion fake thing. Everyone expects the illusion edge-cancels now so it would really come in handy. Thanks Toma.

good stuff

peace!

edit:
and playing high sucks
I HUGELY appreciate your input. So many good things to remember. Thanks Joe.

Aggro is the way to go, but when I'm nervous I revert to defense mode because I'm afraid I'll screw up and die in close range w/ Peach. blah I have to get better. Thanks for everything guys.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
frame question

when you shine, are there additional frames if you shine -> turnaround then jc? if so how many

when you hit a shield with shine, how many frames of hitlag are there?

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
When you JC shine, should you use X/Y or movement stick thang?

And for waveshines, should you shine + one WD OR shine + multiple, shorter WDs?

`DNS`

Smash Lord
frame question

when you shine, are there additional frames if you shine -> turnaround then jc? if so how many

when you hit a shield with shine, how many frames of hitlag are there?
i think shine turnaround takes like 2-3 frames.. same with the hitlag on shield (maybe less)

@mastermoo: when i jc shine i usually use x or y.. also do only 1 wd, after that you can just dash it's faster

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
@mastermoo: when i jc shine i usually use x or y.. also do only 1 wd, after that you can just dash it's faster
OHHHH I see. Whenever I don't hit someone, using the stick makes it so much faster, but when I do hit someone, it's the same thing. :3 As for the waveshining, that makes sense. No wonder people could do it so well and stuff. >_> Anyways, thanks for the tips. :D

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Lol it's cool seeing unknown in the fox boards and the doc boards since I play both chars xD

@trolling

Y'all don't know bout C@sh mooney

Tero.

Smash Champion
Haha cash mooney is too pro at trolling :)

Anyway, next time I upload some new videos I want joeplicate to give me some feedback, the things you pointed out were too good.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea that's really good. One thing I need to start doing is running up and shielding when they're on the ground. Then if they do a get-up attack I shield grab it, and if they stand up normally I grab after the spotdodge.

you just have to do it fast. if its too hard with x/y try using the control stick. you have to flick it up to short hop, its easier if you do a shine first, for me at least.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
if they get up normally, you can time it so you can grab them before they can do anything... (dont have to wait for spotdodge)

try it on a computer, they love getting up normally -.-

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
i think its good to go for a grab after an aerial -> shine in fox dittos. people always expect the grab after aerials and shine after. this is very fast and usually works.

i think its better to wait for them to shine, shine has less range than nair and is shorter. they might get lazy and not retreat optimally after the shine, and if you are prepared you can run in and grab. also if you dash dance they might freeze up and try and shine in place to get you

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'm gonna start doing aerial -> shinegrab more. I'm also gonna try to tomahawk more.

It's hard to grab Fox or Falco on reaction when they tech in place. I get sidestep -> shined so much.

Instead of just waiting for the spotdodge and grabbing, which is also prone to mistimings, I wonder if you could just SH a non-fastfallen dair to catch them either before or after the invincibility frames and then net the grab that way.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Shine turn ledgehop nair, like at 2:14 and 2:18. Is it any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQSrxPYft7o#t=02m14s
I say bair is better
I'm gonna start doing aerial -> shinegrab more. I'm also gonna try to tomahawk more.

It's hard to grab Fox or Falco on reaction when they tech in place. I get sidestep -> shined so much.

Instead of just waiting for the spotdodge and grabbing, which is also prone to mistimings, I wonder if you could just SH a non-fastfallen dair to catch them either before or after the invincibility frames and then net the grab that way.
Dair resets if they don't tech, and if they do you can prolly get drill->grab
if you time it good it could work against spotdodges
hmm

Top Bottom