• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Guys, is Fair useful for anything?
The form of the hitbox makes it one of the best attacks to combo into if they're in front of you and slightly above you, and you don't have that much time to follow it up. Like on heavyweights from an uthrow at certain % if they DI away. An example would be link at 40%: If they DI away, they can jump out of uthrow bair, nair and uair but not uthrow fair.
That said, you can almost never combo from it :( it's usually not even safe to use (ie they can hit you before you retaliate)

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
It's funny to be flashy with.. but besides that the only use I can think of is comboing it into an u-smash at mid-high %.. but even then it has major lag and the hitstun is like a brawl attack. I would much rather light nair.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
How come Fox can waveland really far, but not wavedash as far? Same with people like Ganondorf. When i wavedash with him, it probably goes about half the distance as a waveland.

Aren't they technically the same thing? I mean, it's just air dodging into the ground. Even if I "perfect" wavedash, it doesn't go as far...?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
When you waveland, you can get a perfect horizontal airdodge across the ground. My guess why this isn't possible when you're wavedashing is that AD doesn't get rid of all your momentum immediately, so when you airdodge horizontally, you're already a bit off the ground. But when you waveland, your falling is taking you downward so when you airdodge, you're right up to the ground and can get the perfet waveland.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Its all about the momentum. When you WD while standing on the ground you aren't moving to begin with. I think thats why its shorter.

Mike: I'm pretty sure you can hit link with uair at almost any percent under 80-90 regardless of where of he d.i.s

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
i always thought it was cuz of the angle

luigi wavelands across FD are ridics
Well yeah, it's both. The angle that you have the control stick affects it, of course, but assuming everyone has perfect wavelanding, then moving forward at the time of the waveland will make it like...super **** if you're using a good character, or Luigi.

lmfao when I first heard about wavedashing it was in Nintendo Power I think. They said Kirby was one of the best wavedashers.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
midwest has a really chill scene. No outspoken personalities like west coast or M2K caliber player like both coasts, but we get the job done nonetheless.
Mike, do you think you can get a video up of this?
How was SMYM9? Have any cool experiences? Did our advice on the Fox boards help at all?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
i always thought it was cuz of the angle

luigi wavelands across FD are ridics
If it was all about angle, then you should be able to mimic waveland lengths while just standing on the ground, right? Because all you'd have to do is angle it really horizontally and you'd get a long waveland'ish' one.

But thats not how it works. Try as hard as you want, but you can't duplicate waveland lengths while you're just standing there. Even if you tilt the control stick in the exact same way you would if you waveland'ed'.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Its all about the momentum. When you WD while standing on the ground you aren't moving to begin with. I think thats why its shorter.

Mike: I'm pretty sure you can hit link with uair at almost any percent under 80-90 regardless of where of he d.i.s
But when you waveland you're not really moving in any direction either, you're just coming down or going up or hanging in the air at the peak of your jump. You're not benifiting from any sideways momentum. Nah, I really think it's because you can get closer to the ground if you waveland even compared to frame perfect wavedashing.

Edit: And running then wavedashing doesn't increase the actual wavedash length either so it's def not momentum.

EWC

Smash Ace
I think it's a combination of both. You can waveland holding the analog 100% horizontal, but this is impossible in a wavedash. But even at the same angle, I think a waveland will go further than a wavedash.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
But when you waveland you're not really moving in any direction either, you're just coming down or going up or hanging in the air at the peak of your jump. You're not benifiting from any sideways momentum. Nah, I really think it's because you can get closer to the ground if you waveland even compared to frame perfect wavedashing.

Edit: And running then wavedashing doesn't increase the actual wavedash length either so it's def not momentum.
yea that sounds right.

would be pretty cool if you could run then wd twice as far though.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Sheik is better than fox. the learning curve for Sheik is just waaaay steeper. :laugh:

A while ago I would have disagreed. But now its like;

If you've been playing for about a year and are about average in melee - Average Fox > Average Sheik

Then the better your opponents get the harder it is to play Sheik against them. At the top level its ***** hard to beat Foxes that are really good with Sheik. I can barely do it with Sheik against people I'd normally destroy with Fox.

Once you get tech. skill down, Fox isn't really a challenging character I suppose. It makes me sort of sad...but honestly Sheik's dsmash and ftilt don't require any skill either. Huge priority ***** moves that cut through approaches and are the ultimate defense.

What do you guys think?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think anyone will dispute that one, seeing how Fakcon has to learn how to get his ******* readjusted after fighting either of them because of the massive **** he recieves.

That alone is like, much more than just

Aerial --> shine --> U-throw

or

WD back --> F-tilt --> F-air

EWC

Smash Ace
No, fox is actually the hardest character to use, 'cuz in order to win with him, you have to do shine->bair and 30 multishines in a row.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Don't trifle with me Vanz I've got cannuck blood in me and it's not only venomous and high in calcium from our bagged milk, but it's also tempered with the curse of a thousand beaver priests who died. We are a cursed people. And we hunger for blood of fiery vixens who climb the violent heights of the final destination. We strike them down with hooked pins and then drag them down with clawed blows, bringing them to their doom slowly, ever so slowly.

Lovage

Smash Hero
someone mentioned avoiding samus' upb OOS

its extremely hard to space nair and not get upb'd but you can often nair -> shield and they will miss their up b

Top Bottom