• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

I.B

Smash Lord
hello Fox boards, we may be getting some interesting vids soon. Drephen might be attending an upcoming Canadian tourney in which Raynex is also going to! Yay!

Get hyped!

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I've started "lazy thumbing" everything, instead of sliding which I used to do
That way I won't have to have my thumb bent as much as I did before, which was very uncomfortable.
only problem with this is that I can't go from B->Y as fast as I used to

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
how do you guys do JC usmash and grab and stuff
do some people use Y/X for it?
I JC usmash with quarter circle motion on the control stick and up on the c-stick. The quarter circle motion helps me time it better, because over the years I've had instances where my Fox will just jump and uair instead of usmash because I'm hitting up on the c-stick too slowly.

imo Up+A is the easiest way to JC an usmash, but sometimes you get that unwanted charge animation and your opponent might shield it because it is a tad bit slower.

For JC grabs I used to use quarter circle up on the control stick + Z. But for the same reasons I stated above, I started using X+Z.

Fun fact: Did you know you can JC usmash using X/Y + cstick? Its weird.

soap

Smash Hero
hello Fox boards, we may be getting some interesting vids soon. Drephen might be attending an upcoming Canadian tourney in which Raynex is also going to! Yay!

Get hyped!
watty is going too. He claims to **** any and all foxes. And he just beat tink in winners bracket last weekend.

Of course tink's marth also got fourstocked by jianos donkey kong on MK II in losers...soooo
I've started "lazy thumbing" everything, instead of sliding which I used to do
That way I won't have to have my thumb bent as much as I did before, which was very uncomfortable.
only problem with this is that I can't go from B->Y as fast as I used to
i tried this recently as i had a callous/blister on the tip of my thumb that kept ripping open.

it makes my thumb feel fat and sloppy when i play fox/falco so i decided to just man up

I JC usmash with quarter circle motion on the control stick and up on the c-stick. The quarter circle motion helps me time it better, because over the years I've had instances where my Fox will just jump and uair instead of usmash because I'm hitting up on the c-stick too slowly.

imo Up+A is the easiest way to JC an usmash, but sometimes you get that unwanted charge animation and your opponent might shield it because it is a tad bit slower.

For JC grabs I used to use quarter circle up on the control stick + Z. But for the same reasons I stated above, I started using X+Z.

Fun fact: Did you know you can JC usmash using X/Y + cstick? Its weird.
interesting quarter circle idea.

so if u were to do runnig shine usmash u would do down then roll around the outside to up? ive always just went straight up and i do miss it once in a while and get a full hop uair

Binx

Smash Master
I used to use up and c-stick cause for whatever reason I would jump and up air with up and a, now I can do both lol. As far as jumping I use Y and I've always used Y, I used the C buttons to jump in 64 so it carried over.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
watty is going too. He claims to **** any and all foxes. And he just beat tink in winners bracket last weekend.

Of course tink's marth also got fourstocked by jianos donkey kong on MK II in losers...soooo

i tried this recently as i had a callous/blister on the tip of my thumb that kept ripping open.

it makes my thumb feel fat and sloppy when i play fox/falco so i decided to just man up

interesting quarter circle idea.

so if u were to do runnig shine usmash u would do down then roll around the outside to up? ive always just went straight up and i do miss it once in a while and get a full hop uair
yea, just pretend its a hadoken in a street fighter game. Quarter circle to the top. Consistency improves a ****load if you do it like that.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Do you wavedash farther if you tilt the directional stick and return it to neutral as opposed to holding it diagonally the whole time? Or does it not matter?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Doesn't matter. As long as you're holding it in a direction before you wavedash, obviously. Otherwise you won't have a wavedash...

lol don't ask these kinds of questions in character SPECIFIC boards. This kind of general WD information should be handled in the melee DISCUSSION boards.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Doesn't matter. As long as you're holding it in a direction before you wavedash, obviously. Otherwise you won't have a wavedash...

lol don't ask these kinds of questions in character SPECIFIC boards. This kind of general WD information should be handled in the melee DISCUSSION boards.
RaynEx for mod =)

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
Raynex or anyone else knowledgeable , when doing nair vs someone's shield is it better to delay it or just throw it out right away. It seems that coming over from playing Falco originally has messed up my Fox game in some ways. I notice when i delay nair in dittos i get shield grabbed a ton more. But when i full jump a nair or just shuffl a nair and throw the nair out as soon as possible i almost always get the shine off. Also how do u follow up a thunderz combo ? charged upsmsh? grab? shuffl upair? Thanks.
PS. i wont probably be able to get a ride to Mass Madness so i'll play u some other time :(

also some new tournament vids of me for those who're interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfubL_vrDA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3SDF-nCstg&feature=related - jman vs pc chris 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSR0sC4eOs&feature=related - jman vs pc chris 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBnOLutDkAQ&feature=related - jman vs pc chris 3

soap

Smash Hero
well watchin one of the vids cactuar says he likes thunders grab more cuz they cant di it as well.

i just naturally do uair without thinking about it cuz when i learned of the thunders combo someone told me it was waveshine jab uair and i just practiced that a million times and never thought about other options lol

Binx

Smash Master
I like how in match 5 you hear people playing ssb64 instead of brawl XD

Also PC, after thunders I like grab or uair to grab, even drill to grab works, basically anything but especially vs spacies I would rather have a grab than an upsmash. I really like your up smash OoS though, it takes the guessing out of being crossed up and you tech chase out of it really well.

As for the being shield grabbed issue I have no clue, I always do it immediately like you were saying and I rarely if ever get shield grabbed from it, I don't know if its better to delay it or not.

Tero.

Smash Champion
i just naturally do uair without thinking about it cuz when i learned of the thunders combo someone told me it was waveshine jab uair and i just practiced that a million times and never thought about other options lol
lol

same here

EWC

Smash Ace
Thunder's is cool cuz' the get up animation is slow enough to hit with anything you feel like. I like upair-uptilt->grab, or upair-> grab if they di.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
What is the second A for? :confused:

_____

yeah Tero is the man when it comes to bringing smashboards memes to Germany ^^
Second A is for the shield grab.

Boost grab the way Lovage described it: A (dash attack), R (Shield), A (Grab) = weird *** method of boost grabbing.

Raynex or anyone else knowledgeable , when doing nair vs someone's shield is it better to delay it or just throw it out right away. It seems that coming over from playing Falco originally has messed up my Fox game in some ways. I notice when i delay nair in dittos i get shield grabbed a ton more. But when i full jump a nair or just shuffl a nair and throw the nair out as soon as possible i almost always get the shine off. Also how do u follow up a thunderz combo ? charged upsmsh? grab? shuffl upair? Thanks.
PS. i wont probably be able to get a ride to Mass Madness so i'll play u some other time :(

TEH NAIR.

I had a long fruitful discussion with Cactuar about this @ event 52 in Kansas. So seeing you post about how you land shines more frequently with EARLY nairs is puzzling.

The way it works:

Early nairing is generally bad because the effectiveness of its hitbox deteriorates the longer its been out. This is also the case when discussing hitstun. When you hit an opponent with an early nair, you get less hit-lag than if you hit with a really late one.

Example: You know how Marths these days are really gay and will CC your nair and grab you?
Usually it doesn't matter what attack you do, there isn't enough hitstun on it to counter Marth's CC and save you from his grab. But, if you SH and do a nair RIGHT BEFORE YOU HIT THE GROUND, you can get a shine out before Marth can grab you. Even if he CCs.

Back to your question -

it is better to do late nairs, because they deliver more hitstun onto your opponents shield, sort of like in my Marth CCing example. Doing early nairs or fullhopped nairs will just make it easier for your opponent to react out of shield, because of the lessened effect it has on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thunders combo follow-ups (perform these after you've jab reset them):

Doing uair all the time gets boring and you know...being creative is fun. So I've come up with a variety of ways to build on this combo.

-uair; EVERYONE does this, but w/e its still worth listing)

-dair; you can actually dair->shine your opponent again and do another thunders. Doing the thunders again has two main purposes. Damage output, and you force your opponent across the stage and towards an edge. It sets up for easy edge-guards and corners them usually.

-run at your grounded opponent and shine; If you thunders your opponent near an edge, running at them and shining makes you life easier and will lead to early kills sometimes.

-utilt; you can actually keep walking forward and land an utilt on them. I'd suggest turning around and using its range, because you might miss. If you want to get super flashy like me, turn around after you jab and do a perfect WD backwards into utilt. lulz

-grab; self-explanatory

-usmash/charged usmash; self-explanatory

-nair; for those of you who love this move ^^. Use it against an opponent that isn't adept at CCing. You can nair->utilt, nair->grab, nair->shine->thunders again...so many things will work if you land this nair successfully.

-dsmash; if you get a Fox in thunders at higher than 50/60 near an edge...do this. Dsmash knocks them far off and its over from there. Grab edge shine or bair. Thunders to dsmash is usually overlooked, but it comes in handy in certain situations.

-shine usmash; novelty purposes. If you thunders your opponent successfully you actually have enough time to run back and shine usmash before they can do anything. lol its mad gay, and I do it all the time.

-dtilt; yes thunders to dtilt works. It leads to grabs and usmashes and edge-guards if they d.i. away or something. Use it sometimes to keep things fresh.

Wow, I've almost listed all of Fox's moves. -_-

oh well. lol

Tero.

Smash Champion
RaynEx: Is it possible to avoid Samus upB oos if you do late nairs and then shine?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Nah. Late nairs put more hitstun onto your opponents shield, but not THAT much. You are still at a disadvantage when you hit most Samus' shield. If you try to shine her up+b's invincibility frames will eat your move like it always did. Late nairs on shields simply make it harder for your opponent to time stuff. Like normally they would press A right after you hit their shield with an early nair. But if you did a late one and they tried to hit A to grab, they'd still be in shield-stun and it would mess up their timing.

sometimes.

but yea thats basically all it does. Still better than early ones imo.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
@PC: yeah i know that but in my case it was because i was so used to grabbing late nairs (or after the shine)
that i had problems with shieldgrabbing early nairs shortly.
But its not hard to re-adapt to that and even becomes easier to hit with Shines/Upsmashes OoS.

So listen to RaynEX

Binx

Smash Master
I love this thread always new information =)

So can a late nair be grabbed before a shine could go off on a normal 7-8 frame grab?

or is it so hard to time it isn't realistic.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I honestly don't even know how I do half the things I do... late nair or early nair? All I know is I don't get shield grabbed, LOL.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Rayn will you be at Flatzone?

If I make it out, I really hope to see you there.
What date is it? lol if it involves flying I probably won't. I'm saving for like 4 different u.s. tournies.

I love this thread always new information =)

So can a late nair be grabbed before a shine could go off on a normal 7-8 frame grab?

or is it so hard to time it isn't realistic.
I don't think so. Only a few things beat late nair -> shine if your opponent ccs it. I don't think grab is one of them.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
March 7/8 in Regina.

Most of EC US is gonna be there, +WA. It's gonna be cheaper to fly and you'll still get to play the americanz.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
hmmm

sounds tempting

But think of it like this.

on the 21st: We have a huge canada tourny in Mississauga with drephen, m2k and others coming.

on the 28th (weekend after): I'm going to Mass Madness 14 to play with KDJ, PC, Jman etc etc

then if I go to Regina on the 7/8th (weekend after): too much money lol. not to mention i'll have spent 3 weekends on smash and none @ school.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Aw.

well hopefully you change your mind, this is probably the only chance I'll get to finally play you till summer :[

Top Bottom