• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I shall (attempt to) revive this Q&A with a dicussion!

So I took a bit of a break from melee and I've decided to take on a new approach to Fox. I'm thinking of playing a shineless Fox, not even for shinespikes. I'll also try concentrating more on lasers and such.

One of the biggest problems I see with this is Marth, since nair-shine or drillshine->uthrow->uair work so well on him, but I could just go straight from a dair to a grab and get the same effect, right?

Halp?

EWC

Smash Ace
You can replace drillshine->grab with drillgrab and nairshine with nair->uptilt.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
or you can do it PC Chris style and skip waveshines etc etc. Most Foxes like to over-complicate things and always shine at every opening they get.

Just do a simple grab instead. Or usmash. Just run around and then approach with shield or JC grab. Its better than it sounds, trust me.

idea

Smash Master
screw attack recently put up a more in-depth look at those zelda cd-i games.

i don't like the angry nintendo nerd guy, but watching the gameplay is hilarious.

haha, i just went and watched kdj vs. pc, mlg vegas finals today. still impressive after, what, 2 years?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I like Fox dittos. The only dittos I don't like are Marth dittos and Sheik dittos, to a lesser extent.

Binx

Smash Master
Falcon dittos are my favorite even though I'm not that great with him, next up is Fox ditto's the only dittos I really dislike are Falco and and ICs

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So I was experimenting with wavelanding onto the stage from an edgehop, and then buffering a side roll. It does work amazingly well, but this got me thinking...

Is/are there any other things that could be buffered for good effect? I can't really think of anything but I guess you could buffer a spot dodge if you hit an opponents shield in hopes of dodging their shield grab...?

Binx

Smash Master
Eh, rolling afterwards is kind of predictable, I'd rather try to grab them or run through them, against Marth I might try to bait an attack if he is far enough back.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
fox has like... assloads of invincibility off the edge w/ a waveland. If done perfectly, there's enough to get a usmash to hit before your invincibility runs out.

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
is bair the only way to keep marth off the stage?
lol
cuz that's where i struggle
(that and approaching)
While marth is recovering...

Run off stage, shine below marth (to turn around), bair him before dolphin slash, firefox back.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
^it's funny to provoke and dodge a rejump fair with running off+ff
then punish it with shineturnaroundbair.

however, it's not very safe and if you do it to often, you'll get ***** for it.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
fox has like... assloads of invincibility off the edge w/ a waveland. If done perfectly, there's enough to get a usmash to hit before your invincibility runs out.
i've never thought of abusing that... i'm a better man...
ha

i've missed like 3 days of active conversation... too lazy to read it.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Shine and bair.

If Marth doesn't approach you, don't get excited and approach him - thats just giving him a free grab. Jump around and try not to be super obvious and spam nair/dair in his face. He'll just dash away and grab.

Laser and bait approaches using platforms, double jumps and wavedashes.
i see... i knew i needed to camp more. lol
cuz getting grabbed in that match up is NOT fun, as you all know.

and as for edgeguarding,
i found out that i can go really low and jump under him to shine him, but it's pretty risky imo.

THANKS

joeplicate

Smash Master
that family guy garbage was easily the stupidest thing I have ever watched in my life

no exaggeration.

fox boards needs to step up their youtube link game

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KK is gay. How confident are all of you guys in Fox dittos?
lol that was hilarious

We're playing on FD
RaynEX U-throw U-smashes me
He then misses the next U-smash by just a little bit
I grab him and U-throw CG him to 45 and then do something I don't remember what
He's like "I'm not chain grabbing you though!"
And I'm like "And that is your mistake!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Ganon dittos are the BEST!its all a matter of who has teh sexiest Ganon =:)
No its about who fairs more.

Falcon dittos are my favorite even though I'm not that great with him, next up is Fox ditto's the only dittos I really dislike are Falco and and ICs
IC dittos are mad gay. Dsmash only.

So I was experimenting with wavelanding onto the stage from an edgehop, and then buffering a side roll. It does work amazingly well, but this got me thinking...

Is/are there any other things that could be buffered for good effect? I can't really think of anything but I guess you could buffer a spot dodge if you hit an opponents shield in hopes of dodging their shield grab...?
With Marth if you waveland and buffer roll you cover half of yoshi's story. I saw Ken/M2k etc etc spamming waveland -> stuff and realized how sexy it was.

With Fox:

buffer roll, buffer spotdodge, usmash, shine, SHIELD (this one i like), shield -> react and jump over them when they approach.

dtilt? iuno, you can do anything with invincibility frames. hehe

that family guy garbage was easily the stupidest thing I have ever watched in my life

no exaggeration.

fox boards needs to step up their youtube link game
mission accomplished.

wow raynex i'm so ****ing dissapointed in that family guy youtube link

wow
mission accomplished 2.0

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
i see... i knew i needed to camp more. lol
cuz getting grabbed in that match up is NOT fun, as you all know.

and as for edgeguarding,
i found out that i can go really low and jump under him to shine him, but it's pretty risky imo.

THANKS
its not about camping. Its about not being stupid. Don't run in without a plan.

example of how I'd approach marth on yoshi's:

Run in, waveland on a platform above his head, drop down and shine his shield/body, waveland back on platform and fall off with bair.

congratulations, you are now inside of marth. This is the part where you spam moves and pressure him off the ledge -> edge-guard.

Just bait him. Run forward, WD back (lol), he grabs and you get free move. Stuff like that, but just mix it up and don't be repetitive. There is no one answer when it comes to facing Marth.

Except uthrow-uair of course.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
jman whats the most effective way to beat peach with fox??

spam?
shoot her a lot.

drillshine --> u-smash.

drillshine --> u-throw bair/uair.

if she floats towards you from somewhat high, u-smash her when she comes down or nair her really fast when she's floating.

empty sh waveland a lot and platform waveland a lot. don't get pressured to the edge.

full jump whatever a lot.

u-smash out of shield a lot.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
How do you buffer usmash or shine? Like for shield I'm pretty sure you would just have to hold L, or R.

Also, there are only 2 ways to lightshield, correct? One is to put a small amount of pressure on L/R, and the other way is to press Z (but you grab first).

Lastly... I can't shine oos on the ground all the time (maybe 40%?). The other times I will just life slightly off the ground before shining. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
How do you buffer usmash or shine? Like for shield I'm pretty sure you would just have to hold L, or R.

Also, there are only 2 ways to lightshield, correct? One is to put a small amount of pressure on L/R, and the other way is to press Z (but you grab first).

Lastly... I can't shine oos on the ground all the time (maybe 40%?). The other times I will just life slightly off the ground before shining. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?
To lightshield with Z you have to buffer it. Hold Z after a roll, spotdodge, grab, jab (or any other move), wavedash, etc. You can even do it out of a run, by crouching and pressing Z on the same frame.

Shine oos is more useful if you stay on the ground because you can wavedash or sh afterward. For falco it doesn't really matter because he'll gladly double-jump out of the shine, but fox has many more options out of a wavedash.

Binx

Smash Master
Can fox be chaingrabbed by ICs? I used to be able to do it pretty easily but now I'm getting shined out of it, I don't know if it's because I play more Fox than ICs and I'm just making a dumb mistake or if my friend is doing just better now.

Oh and whats the best option vs Falco when he is trying to dair shine your shield, can you jump shine before his shine goes off?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you should always be able to jc shine from shield, but often times you can even jc usmash out of shield if they do the dair pretty high.

Also, **** fox dittos. stupidest matchup ever. also, i got ***** by shaeden again at my tourney today :(

Top Bottom