• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Actually, it's always been shield stabbing. Shield poking was just another term added way back in Melee days, when Marth would hit you because he poked through your shield with dtilt. Since then, both shield stabbing and shield poking have been floating around, although they both mean hitting your opponent's exposed hurtbox while they were shielding.

Also, Cyanide, why did you put the phrase "most characters" in quotes when I had not used that phrase?
Admittedly, I wasn't reading the quote and typed from the top of my head. @_@

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Again, in what world? MK is incapable of being counterpicked, the hell is wrong with you.
I would define a counterpick as anything that increases your chances of winning a matchup, and with that definition I would argue he can be CPd.

He is not like other characters in that he does not have a hard counter character, however.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The pro-ban side needs a 2/3 majority for Meta Knight to get banned, as is the procedure for everything the SBR recommends be banned.
Well, this is a lost cause. Time to pack up our stuff, pro-bans. No way in hell we're gonna win by that much.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I would define a counterpick as anything that increases your chances of winning a matchup, and with that definition I would argue he can be CPd.

He is not like other characters in that he does not have a hard counter character, however.
I define a counterpick as something that clearly gives the opponent a clear disadvantage. A counterpick is taking wario to FD, or falco to delfino. If the best you get out of a counterpick is an even match, that's not so much a counterpick as it is just picking a situation where you're not straight ****ed by the numbers.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Oh, while we're talking about Snake's oki, will someone please explain to me why I wouldn't simply do a rising attack every time, until it shieldstabs? Can you perfect shield or spot dodge it on reaction, even if I delay it slightly, and still react to if I roll?

Also, wtf, I don't think MK loses on Halberd. Explain.
so I already posted how ineffective this was, but another thing is that you can roll to the ledge after a few grabs usually and then you aren't in tech chase position anymore...not that being snake edge guarded is a great situation either but it effectively nullifies any notion of tech chasing people to death :/

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Ryko, anyone can argue 6-4 being extremely skill based and not a clear advantage.
Palpi, marth vs ike is a 6-4 and is very skill based. It doesn't change that BY DESIGN the 6-4 means that the marth shouldn't lose, period. (Okay it means that out of 10 he should lose 4 times but that's generally not how it works)

First off, GET ***** BY THIO.
The hell did he ****? We're having a discussion about the definition of a counterpick.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I define a counterpick as something that clearly gives the opponent a clear disadvantage. A counterpick is taking wario to FD, or falco to delfino. If the best you get out of a counterpick is an even match, that's not so much a counterpick as it is just picking a situation where you're not straight ****ed by the numbers.
Snake taking MK to Halberd is almost certainly Snake's advantage; however, in the context of what I said, I'm saying MK loses specific matchups on specific stages, as opposed to just losing to a character or a stage.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Snake taking MK to Halberd is almost certainly Snake's advantage; however, in the context of what I said, I'm saying MK loses specific matchups on specific stages, as opposed to just losing to a character or a stage.
And in a game where your best option as a character can and will likely be eliminated by a stage ban? Counterpicking MK is a myth unless your counterpick is "a flat neutral" and even then not necessarily because of the 3 that come to mind MK happens to do best on the one that is a mix of the other 2.

Palpi

Smash Hero
That is why numbers are fairly dumb to an extent. I don't think the best ike whoever it may be, kirk or san or w/e can beat ADHD or ninja link 4 of 10 :)

NNID
Budget_Player

I define it like Ryko; if you CP a stage, you should get an advantage out of it.

Well, this is a lost cause. Time to pack up our stuff, pro-bans. No way in hell we're gonna win by that much.
Exactly. RAAAAAGE. Why 2/3s? Isn't a good 5% majority 4 times in a row coupled with sufficient evidence for his banning good enough?

That.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
A game being played competitively is about finding out whose skill is better. In the ideal scenario, everything would be completely balanced to the point of there being everything completely even.

Since this scenario is impossible in any fighting game with a handful of characters (technically speaking, even 2 characters would be unbalanced, but they still could be so close to each other that it doesn't matter), we are settling with the CP solution.

Counterpicking your enemy is a strategy in order to put yourself into a more favorable position. If you are in a disadvantage and pick something to be even, you are in a better position than before.
If you are in a disadvantage and pick something to be in an advantage, this is favourable, but not necessary.

I repeat, a competitively played game desires to find out the better player in a preferably even setting, not the guy who can choose something that makes him fare better.

Exactly. RAAAAAGE. Why 2/3s? Isn't a good 5% majority 4 times in a row coupled with sufficient evidence for his banning good enough?
Counter question:
Why should a decision that would cause a huge impact on the community be taken from a mere 5% majority?
Banning Meta Knight would hurt the stances of 45% of the community. That's not a minority, that's almost half of the community.

CR4SH

Smash Lord

The bigger issue is this. Who in the cast can't mk cp ****? Between cruise, norfair, fo, brinstar and others, he has a stage to put any character at a serious disadvantage. On the other hand, how many characters can cp **** mk? None, most have to take him to a stage where its not QUITE as difficult a matchup.

In other words, mk has 2 neutrals and a hard cp. Thats what breaking the cp system means. No matter what you do with your cps, if you're nl and play every character on every stage. If you meet a MK in tournament he's looking at 2 neutrals and a CP.

Supersun

Smash Apprentice
I think it's based off that the US cant change an amendment without a 2/3 vote(iirc).

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I repeat, a competitively played game desires to find out the better player in a preferably even setting, not the guy who can choose something that makes him fare better.
You're going to say that while completely ignoring that one character by default is often at a distinct advantage and as a result you're never finding out that case unless you fight on the stage that evens it out, which is a favourable situation given to someone who has already lost, right?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You only have to win 2 out of 3 games. So having 2 neutral stages technically makes things even and you should win if you're the more skilled player.

I agree that MK is jacked on Rainbow Cruise and other stages and it's annoying as ****.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You're going to say that while completely ignoring that one character by default is often at a distinct advantage and as a result you're never finding out that case unless you fight on the stage that evens it out, which is a favourable situation given to someone who has already lost, right?
No, I was opposing your definition of counterpicking. It was completely unrelated to the topic of Meta Knight.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You only have to win 2 out of 3 games. So having 2 neutral stages technically makes things even and you should win if you're the more skilled player.
Name one character that does equally well against MK on FD and Battlefield. I'm eliminating smashville from the equation because an MK shouldn't be losing there.

No, I was opposing your definition of counterpicking. It was completely unrelated to the topic of Meta Knight.
It started from me saying that MK couldn't be counterpicked. It was in no way unrelated unless you ignore the context of why it was brought up at all, but thanks.

meta master

Smash Journeyman

Very serious argument. What ever the result, I'm enjoying this debate. I take it that this will be discussed on the SMYN podcast again right before the results are announced? Another debate podcast, so to speak.

As for counter-picks, my verdict is that a good, solid Marth can really give a Meta-Knight a run for his money. Counter is THE most annoying thing in the world and can really ruin your game given the chance. And dolphin slash is soooo viable. His up-B can go through a lot of Meta's attacks and has decent knockback. since it isn't used a lot, it comes out as a surprise and can take a meta off guard. Even more dangerous? A Marth that counters off ground (when Meta's recovering) and still gets back on stage. This prevents you from using a large amount of your moves with out killing you/both of you. And why can't you jump around, above him? Because he jumps and them falls, giving him a height advantage so he can spike you.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
First off, GET ***** BY THIO.

2nd off MK looses on some stages, genius. Snake wins on FD/Halberd. Therefore MK is capable of being CP'd by Snake, get *****.
Holy ****. It's spelled lose

not loose.

I can't believe you don't know the difference.

NNID
Budget_Player
Counter question:
Why should a decision that would cause a huge impact on the community be taken from a mere 5% majority?
Banning Meta Knight would hurt the stances of 45% of the community. That's not a minority, that's almost half of the community.
Actually never mind yeah that was stupid. I have been running on like 3 hours of sleep here.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It started from me saying that MK couldn't be counterpicked. It was in no way unrelated unless you ignore the context of why it was brought up at all, but thanks.
If you can counterpick yourself into an even position, this is all you actually need.
There is no need to be in an actual advantage.

iRJi

Smash Champion
If you can counterpick yourself into an even position, this is all you actually need.
That, is now incorrect. Are you also saying that it is safe (or fair) for your opponent to have an advantage on you for at least 1/3rd of the set, and all you can do is counter even with him?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah except for how it works against every other character in the game. Ike has an 8-2 disadvantage against olimar and I can still put him in a 4-6/45-55 on at least one stage...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Counter question:
I'm not gonna say that we should judge by a teeny 5% majority.
I'm just gonna say that the Pro-ban side winning by a 2/3 majority is impossible. Everyone knows this.

Oh, and regardless of what happens to Meta Knight, it's affecting ~50% of the community's stance.
At least, I would think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom