• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FMOI and co present "Helter Skelter", a Halloween Tourney! ZEON IS THE CHAM-PEE-ON!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice's closing words: Yet another successful tournament has passed and Zeonstar goes home with another victory. Like Mark Twain once said while watching the sun set on the banks of the Mississippi River one autumn night, "That guy has a retardedly good Ganondorf." Still, I hope many of you learned something from this tournament and got a feel of what it's like in another player's shoes. I hope you all had fun and the details of the Cosby Bebop tournament series should be posted by Midnight. Two of the tournaments are invite only so check your mailbox to see if you got a golden ticket for either one of them. I'd also like to thank cba and Barge for co-hosting this tournament and giving me someone to yell at to quiet my own insecurities. I was extremelly abusive and I'm glad they didn't kill themselves from the stress. Again, thank you to all who particpated and I hope to see you in the next thrilling installment of my tournaments.

TTFN and all that crazyiness,

Fatmanonice

Final Standings:

1. Zeonstar (Ganondorf/Bowser)
2. dabuz (Olimar/Kirby)
3. Dave *FMOI's roommate* (Fox/Kirby)
4. Fatmanonice (Shiek/Wario)

Fatmanonice, Barge, and cba Present:​
HELTER SKELTER
A Halloween Online Tournament.

Hello everyone. The results were a tad strange in my last tournament but I’m back with yet another one that puts its combatants to the test. The autumn winds have been blowing and you know what that means… that’s right… sexy apple picking! :laugh: In all seriousness, it’s time for the holiday of the dreary and macabre, Halloween! Ever since I was a kid, I’ve absolutely loved this day and, to celebrate, I’m hosting a tournament… the day after! That’s right, enjoy your shenanigans but try not to be too hung over (whether on sugar or whatever brew you contact that night, you sick freaks :psycho:) for the tournament.

Going off of the theme of Halloween, the theme for this tournament is “Helter Skelter”. This phrase usually refers to a spell that goes wrong in some form. In this tournament, you are allowed to choose two characters but there’s a catch in order to win a set… you have to beat your opponent as their character! That’s right; a genuine switcheroo! *gets hit with a pie* You may be able to breeze through fights with your main but can you do the same with your opponent’s? Are you up to the challenge? Enter… if you dare…

Tournament Summary

Beat your opponent with one of two characters of your choice and their own! The prize for this tournament is one VC/Wii Ware game of the winner's choice.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 10/20: I guess I wasn't clear on the rules so I'll explain them better here:

1. You choose two characters.
2. Per set, you are only allowed to use one character of these characters except in the finals if you win two matches.
3. In order to win a set, you have to win as your chosen character for the set and your opponent's. Meaning if they choose Shiek for the set, for example, you have to beat them with Shiek and your character in order to advance.
4. Both characters have to be used in at least in one set before the finals if you make it that far.
5. You can fight in any order. In the first match, you can choose to fight as your chosen character or your opponents' but you have to win as both in order to win a set.

I hope this clears things up.

Tournament Schedule.

The date of the tournament will be 11/1-2. The time schedule will be the following:

Round One: Sunday 10/26 : 12AM- Saturday 11/1 : 4PM
Round Two: Saturday 11/1 : 4:01PM- 7PM
Round Three: Saturday 11/1 : 7:01PM- 10PM.

The Quarter Finals-Finals will be held on Sunday but, depending on how smoothly things go, may start as early as Saturday.

Quarter Finals: Saturday 11/1 : 10:01PM- Sunday 11/2 : 4PM
Semi Finals: Sunday 11/2 : 4:01PM- 7PM
Finals: Sunday 11/2 : 7:01PM- 10Pm.

Because of my infinite benevolence, deadlines may be extended if multiple complications arise (especially in the later rounds).

Basic Rules​

1. 3 stock, no items, and no time limit.

2. You pick two characters at the beginning of the tournament. You have to use both at least once during the tournament. For example, if you choose Mario and Luigi; you can fight as Luigi in just one set and Mario in the rest if you want. I’m doing this to keep from one person who uses a hard to use character to sweep through the tournament.

3. Only the legal stages are allowed. I think I was the only person who used one of the banned/counterpick stages in the last tournament so I’m not even going to bother this time. Plus it came back and bit me in the butt hard in one of the gayest matches I've ever been in.

4. First stage is agreed on by both players. Loser picks the next stage.
5. Quitting, restarting the match, stalling for longer than 10 seconds (like with Mario's cape stalling or Jigglypuff's rising pound), and purposely SDing will lead to disqualification.
6. Chain grabs, spamming, suicides (like Ganondorf's and King Dedede’s) and locks are allowed. No johns about players who do any of these things excessively. It’s YOUR fault if you can’t get past them. Play to win. All of these are legitimate strategies and can be overcome. Personally, I’d recommend counterpicking stages if you really have a problem with them.

7. No pissing.

8. No moaning.

9. A combination of 7 and 8 will not be tolerated either.

10. After a set (best 2 out of 3 until the Finals which will be 3 out of 5), either player should report the results here. In order to win a set, you have to beat your opponent with your character and their’s. If you make it to the finals, you can choose either one of the characters you picked for the tournament if you win two matches.

Legal Stages

1. Battlefield
2. Final Destination
3. Delfino Plaza
4. Luigi's Mansion
5. Pirate Ship
6. Norfair
7. Frigate Orpheon
8. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
9. Halberd
10. Lylat Cruise
11. Pokemon Stadium 2
12. Castle Siege
13. Distant Planet
14. Smashville
15. Pictochat
16. Green Hill Zone
17. Yoshi's Island (Melee)
18. Rainbow Cruise
19. Green Greens
20. Brinstar
21. Jungle Japes
22. Pokemon Stadium One

The Combatants

Due to their high placing in War of the Roses; Royalblood, dabuz, Glyph, and Yoshididdy have reserved spots for this tournament if they choose to sign up.

1. Fatmanonice (Shiek/Wario)
2. Samusbrawler (Peach/Luigi)
3. Barge (Toon Link/Ice Climbers)
4. RoyalBlood (Zelda/Peach)
5. cba (Zero Suit Samus/Snake)
6. Chaco (Yoshi/Mr. Game and Watch)
7. phoenixKaZe (Sonic/Ike)
8. GFE (Metaknight/Snake)
9. Salem (Snake/Zero Suit Samus)
10. darkserenade (Luigi/Marth)
11. dabuz (Olimar/Kirby)
12. Halaster (Lucario/Sonic)
13. King Yoshi (Pikachu/Yoshi)
14. Blue Terrorist (Sonic/Pikachu)
15. Legionbrawler (Lucario/Metaknight)
16. Steel_Dragon (Falco/Link)
17. Naucitos (Yoshi/Donkey Kong)
18. Aryman (Snake/ROB)
19. Cloudsan (Marth/Metaknight)
20. Sir Bevedere (Sonic/Wolf)
21. 4Serial (Link/Wario)
22. Mmac (Yoshi/Ganondorf)
23. Yaya (Pokemon Trainer/ Mr. Game and Watch)
24. Shogun Fox (Ness/ROB)
25. ~Peachy~ (Peach/TBA)
26. mimic king (Marth/Metaknight)
27. Olimarman (Olimar/Marth)
28. Istudying (Snake/Marth)
29. Hyrulian21 (Bowser/Link)
30. cheap_josh (Ness/Lucas)
31. omis? (Captain Falcon/Fox)
32. Flakari Leader (Yoshi/King Dedede)
33. SoraOwnsAll (Diddy Kong/Marth)
34. theyoster (Metaknight/Yoshi)
35. Yoshididdy (Diddy Kong/Yoshi)
36. Yoshi Diddy's brother (Samus/ROB)
37. Zeonstar (Ganondorf/Bowser)
38. kisama (Olimar/Metaknight)
39. major miles (Ice Climbers/Diddy Kong)
40. Snare (Ness/Olimar)
41. Tangy (Marth/Fox)
42. AKAred (Mario/Pit)
43. Siddo (Falco/Toon Link)
44. Shadowfirex100 (Peach/Donkey Kong)
45. kirbyking91 (Toon Link/Ice Climbers)
46. ThatGuyYouMightKnow (Diddy/Wolf)
47. B0mbe1c (Ice Climbers/Donkey Kong)
48. godsmith2 (Mr. Game and Watch/Marth)
49. Sir 0rion (Yoshi/Pokemon Trainer)
50. Fraudster111 (Olimar/Toon Link)
51. kingdom-triforce (Ike/Mr. Game and Watch)
52. Shox01 *Salem's friend* (Falco/Mario)
53. Tujex (Donkey Kong/Ganondorf)
54. LAWZ (Falco/Mr. Game and Watch)
55. bunnyma (Falco/Snake)
56. gohanZ (Lucas/Sonic)
57. catmanwithlice *FMOI's roommate* (Wolf/Marth)
58. Dave *FMOI's other roommate* (Fox/Kirby)
59. Stinky Pete *FMOI's third roomate* (Ike/Metaknight)
60. mcmuffinman (Olimar/Snake)

Tournament Brackets

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY! IT'S TIME FOR THE FINALS, CHILLINS!

"I MAY USE GRANDPA JENKINS BUT I'M BETTER THAN YOU" ZEONSTAR

VS

"I HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH ROUND CHARACTERS" DABUZ

LET'S GET IT ON!!!

Semi Freakin' Final Time!​

(dabuz (Olimar/Kirby) defeatsFatmanonice (Shiek/Wario))

Zeonstar (Ganondorf/Bowser) defeats Dave (Fox/Kirby)

Hocus Poo-gas bracket fourth round match ups

1. (Fatmanonice defeats Aryman)

Hocus Poo-gas bracket third round match ups

1. (Fatmanonice defeats Chaco)
2. (Aryman defeats Salem)

Hocus Poo-gas bracket second round match ups

1. (Phoenixokaze is disqualified. Chaco advances.)
2. (Cloudsan is disqualified. Fatmanonice advances)
3. (cheap_josh is disqualified. Salem advances)
4. (Aryman defeats Royalblood)

Hocus Poo-gas bracket first round match ups

1. (Phoenixokaze defeats Shogun_Fox)
2. (Chaco defeats omis?)
3. (Cloudsan defeats Yaya)
4. (Fatmanonice defeats Naucitos) (Barely)
5. (Salem defeats Mmac)
6. (4serial forfeits. cheap_josh advances)
7. (Istudying is disqualified. Aryman advances)
8. (Mimic King is disqualified. Royalblood advances)

Ooggly Boogly bracket fourth round match ups

1. dabuz defeats Olimarman

Ooggly Boogly bracket third round match ups

1. (Olimarman defeats cba)
2. (dabuz defeats Sir Bevedere)

Ooggly Boogly bracket second round match ups

1. (Olimarman defeats King Yoshi)
2. ( cba defeats ~Peachy~)
3. (dabuz defeats Halaster)
4. (Sir Bevedere defeats Barge)

Ooggly Boogly bracket first round match ups

1. (Olimarman defeats dark serenade)
2. (King Yoshi defeats Flakari Leader)
3.(~Peachy~ defeats Samusbrawler)
4. (cba defeats Legionbrawler)
5. (dabuz defeats Hyrulian21)
6. (Halaster defeats Steel_Dragon)
7. (Sir Bevedere defeats Blue Terrorist)
8. (Barge defeats GFE)

Whiggity Whim Wham Wazzle bracket fourth round match ups

1. (Zeonstar defeats Shadowfirex100)

Whiggity Whim Wham Wazzle bracket third round match ups

1. (Shadowfirex100 defeats Snare)
2. (Yoshi Diddy's brother is disqualified. Zeonstar advances.)

Whiggity Whim Wham Wazzle bracket second round match ups

1. (the yoster is disqualfied. shadowfirex100 advances)
2. (Snare defeats ThatGuyYouMightKnow)
3. ( Zeonstar defeats B0mb1c)
4. (Siddo is disqualified. Yoshi Diddy's brother advances)

Whiggity Whim Wham Wazzle bracket first round match ups

1. ( kirbyking91 is disqualified. the yoster advances)
2. (kisama is disqualified. shadowfirex100 advances)
3. ThatGuyYouMightKnow vs Yoshididdy
4. (B0mb1c defeats godsmith2)
5. (Zeonstar defeats SoraOwnsAll)
6. (Siddo defeats major miles)
7. Tangy is disqualified. Yoshi Diddy's brother advances)
8. (Snare defeats AKAred)

Heeba Jabba Joe Bracket fourth round match ups

1. (Dave *FMOI's other roommate* defeats Bunnyma)

Heeba Jabba Joe Bracket third round match ups

1. (Dave *FMOI's other roommate* defeats Sinky Pete *FMOI's third roommate*)
2. (Bunnyma defeats LAWZ)

Heeba Jabba Joe Bracket second round match ups

1. (Stinky Pete *FMOI's third roommate* defeats Sir 0rion )
2. ( Shox01 *Snare's friend* is disqualfied. Dave *FMOI's other roomate* advances)
3. (Bunnyma defeats catmanwithlice *FMOI's roommate*)
4. LAWZ gets a bye

Heeba Jabba Joe Bracket first round match ups

1. Sir 0rion vs mcmuff1nman is disqualified. Sir 0rion advances.
2. Fraudster111 is disqualfied. Stinky Pete *FMOI's third roommate* advances.
3. kingdom-triforce is disqualified. Dave *FMOI's other roommate* advances
4. Shox01 *Snare's friend* and catmanwithlice *FMOI's roommate* both advance.
5. LAWZ vs GohanZ is disqualified. LAWZ advances.
6. Bunnyma gets a bye.

FAQ

1. "What if my opponent doesn't show up?"

I will personally be sending a PM to everyone about a week before the tourney starts to let them know that they entered. If they still don't show up, you'll be the one that advances while they'll be disqualified IF you are here.

2. "I loathe Metaknight/Snake... Can't you just ban them?"

No, I can't because all characters are legal in this tournament and that would go against the nature of competitive smashing. If you really have a problem with these characters, pick carefully who you want to use and learn how to properly counterpick stages. It may still be a hard fight but making the right decisions will help lighten the load.

3. "My opponent *insert attack/tactic here* too much. Are you seriously going to allow it?"

Read rules 6-9. Play to win even if it means playing outlandishly gay to get the upper hand.

4. "There's a buttload of lag, what should I do?"

Play through it unless it's absolutely game stopping then the situation will be dealt with accordingly. It's one of the curses of online play, unfortunately. Play at your own risk.

5. "This is my first online tournament... I'm scared...hold me... what should I do?"

Do your best. The purpose of your first tournament is to evaluate your tactics/playstle and learn about the various people you'll be butting skulls with if you decide to join more in the future. Learn who they main and what they do. Don't be overly concerned about how high you place. To put it bluntly, if you expect to win your first tournament with ease than you're a moron. :psycho:

6. "If I don't make it to the quarter finals, does that mean I'm a failure at life?"

No; don't be overly concerned about how you place but, rather, who you beat. If you lose to someone you normally 3 stock on a regular basis, there's definately a problem. If you beat someone who has won or made it to the quarter finals in any of the online tournaments here, you should accept it as a pretty big accomplishment if you've never done so before. Trust me, people are going to care a lot more if you three stock someone like Zeonstar in the first round than if you don't even make to the quarter finals. Again, it's a learning experience so treat it as such.

7. "What's your next tournament going to be?"

It's going to be called "Cosby Bebop" and it's all about bounty hunting... Form a crew of four and try to work towards the prize but, be careful, you may get double crossed along the way

8. *random question here*

BS statistic time: 95% of the questions commonly asked can be answered by reading the first post.

9. "How do I get in contact with my opponent?"

Like always, I'll be providing a chatroom to use during the tournament. Hopefully the Friend Finder will be up again soon and we can use that too. If, for some reason, you can't use either of these, simply use PMs.

10. "I have a friend/brother/sister/cousin/land lord/insurance agent who wants to play too; can they enter?"

Why yes; yes they can. If you are sharing the same Wii, simply make a note of it. Also be sure to tell me or Glyph which name they want to go by and which character they want to use.

11. "What's the best way to practice for this tournament?"

Just ask people for matches. Honestly, one of the best things about these tournaments is how close some of us have become. On the weekends, I'm available just about anytime so feel free to hit me up if you need help or just want to fight. Even though I use everybody, don't be afraid to ask around if you need help with certain characters. For example, Glyph is really good with ROB, Aryman is awesome with Snake, and Zeonstar is just plain scary with Ganondorf. If you want my recommendations for mains of almost every character, just send me a PM.

12. "Any other advice about learning characters I'm not familar with?"

Watch videos of professionals on You Tube, visit the character boards, screw around in training mode or with level 3 CPUs, etc. Some characters, like Sonic, Shiek, and the Ice Climbers take a long time to get down pat but I'd say that you can understand and get down the basics to the intermediate level with most of the characters in the game with about 1-2 weeks of practice per character.

13. "Okay, in your honest opinion, how would you rank the easiest/hardest characters to learn?"

Because people ask this all the time and since I try to use everyone equally, here's what I think (in no particular order along with amount of time it takes to learn character up to a "competent" level):

Very large learning curve (at least a month): Yoshi, Shiek, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Snake, Sonic

Above average learning curve (2-3 weeks): Peach, Bowser, Diddy Kong, Wario, Ganondorf, Samus, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario

Average learning curve (1-2 weeks) : Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, King Dedede, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ike, Ness

Below average learning curve (5 days to a week): Zelda, Toon Link, ROB, Fox, Falco, Marth, Lucas

Very small learning curve (2-3 days): Pit, Metaknight, Wolf, Pikachu, Mr. Game and Watch

Again, this is just my opinion.

To signup, simply leave your name and the two characters you want to use. IF YOU SIGN UP, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO YOUR BEST TO SHOW UP! Please be considerate; PM me, Barge, or cba about it.

AT THIS CURRENT TIME, THE SIGN UP DEADLINE IS HALLOWEEN, 10/31!

This is bound to be yet another awesome tournament and I hope everyone enjoys themselves as well as the challenge this tournament presents. I wish the best of luck to all of you.

Like my tournaments? Check out Barge's latest tournament, Spam and Camp, for an equally fun time!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200470

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I suppose I'll join. I can't resist your tourneys :)

*hasn't read the rules or set up*

EDIT: I just read the rules and this sounds like it will be the best yet! But considering it is right after Halloween I'm not sure if anything might come up. I'll be sure to let you know ahead of time if I have to drop out cause I hate telling people I can't make it to something a day before the event.

So if it's alright, sign me up with Peach and Luigi

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Cba? Where'd he come from O:

Sign me up, ness and TL

If you have any questions and FM is currently unavailable: Feel free to Ask me!

Barge

Oh god, cosby bebop sounds fun as hell.

I call fm's team D:

cba

Smash Master
YAYYYY IM CO-HOSTING!!!!!
ill help FMOI run this tourney smooth!!!

Barge

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll be able to offer cash prizes in my tourneys

Anyways: Time for me to go, my show is on and I already missed 15 minutes.

I'll be on later tommorow to spam.
I expect 5+ pages.

cba

Smash Master
in order to do my best as a co-host i might not participate. of course i want a reserved spot in the tourney.

Barge

I can't stay away, so I'm turning my comp off after this post.

Don't go to allisbrawl, please. Allisbrawl sucks, stay here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can't stay away, so I'm turning my comp off after this post.

Don't go to allisbrawl, please. Allisbrawl sucks, stay here.
No, I meant advertising my tournaments on both sites since allisbrawl has a more active competitive online community. Heck, with their help, I may even have 128 person tournaments some day. :suess:

cba

Smash Master
No, I meant advertising my tournaments on both sites since allisbrawl has a more active competitive online community. Heck, with their help, I may even have 128 person tournaments some day. :suess:
truth. but on the other hand... AIB is gay after all. lol

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Could I get the whole switch to your opponents character thing explain to me more, I'm trying to figure it out but I can't :(

This what I got so far

So first game is normal, opponents fight and nothing special happens.
But 2nd game does the Winner only switch or do both switch?
and if there is a 3rd game whats happens? Do the opponents use the 2nd character that their opponent has chosen?

darkserenade

Smash Ace
You KNOW I'm joining this.

Luigi and Marth, or TL and Ike?

EDIT: All your base are belong to us. (Luigi and the *ahem* DUDE that LOOKS LIKE A LADY! Gosh, that song is so addictive)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, im definetely entering, btw, do have to use both characters in atleast one set each or can it only be one match?

im not sure which combination of samus,kirby, or olimar to use yet so ill post that later

Halaster

Smash Ace
I'm signing up... I think I will use... Marth and Sonic.

(Quite possible that this will change over time, but I haven't given Sonic the amount of attention I would like, and I want to test out my Marth to see how much I may have improved since your (and my) first tourney where I went up against Naucitos in the first round.)

Edit: Could you explain the character switch better? Ok... can we use either of the opponent's characters, or just the one that he or she uses against us?

Barge

I think you need to make it more clear FM, because its not in the general "how does this tourney go" section

make sure you mention that you have to beat your opponent with their own character in a clear way so people dont ask
"y he switch char'

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Argh, this is the day after my birthday, so i may need to get back to you on whether ill be a bit late or not, but i'd love to sign up as yoshi and DK

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
do you want some friendlys?
Sure, give me, 7 hours? :chuckle: That's when I'll be able to play. I'm at work right now and going to the gym right after. If you still want to play then, let me know.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Can I change to Snake / ROB please? I might change again, I hope that's ok. For now that's what I want to enter as my choices.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
D:

That entire weekend I'm busy. I have practice on Saturday (I THINK I do, anyways) from 6 to 9, and on Sunday I'm going to a birthday party from 2 to 8. :/

Can I still enter the tournement? I should be able to work my way around the first rounds and have enough time to compete, though on Sunday I'll have almost no chance of competing...though I doubt I'd make it that far anyways. And if by some chance I do, I'll just quit the matches that I can't get to.

(If you agree to this, then I will enter as Sonic and my "counterpick" will be Jiggs. Rofl, a lightweight low tier character with some difficulty killing? Even with the "medium" learning slope, anyone with a half-decent racking and killing game and a flexible recovery should own her without too many problems.)

In any case, I will still stick around in this thread to pester you all with friendly requests. :p

Top Bottom