• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tournament Reflections

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
OK, so my first tournament was yesterday, and it was really fun.

I did pretty badly. My team got ***** in our first match, we only took off one stock, and in the second match, we took off 2 when I switched to Falco. It was double elim, so in our second set, we BARELY lost, if my partner was a bit better, we would've won, but I didn't even really want to play doubles, so it's W/E.

After that I played a bunch of friendlies, mostly doubles because there weren't enough TV's to play a lot of singles. They were fun and exciting though, and I did well. My best match was a friendly against Mend0za's CF (lol) and I lost, but I had like 15 people watching, AND my controller was messed up, like it kept moving me left when was just standing, and I couldn't dash.. It was really even, and it was on Yoshi's Island Brawl. He teched a spike of mine and thats why I lost. I also got really lucky because I was about to die, and then the platform saved me.

On to singles: I did quite badly, and I'm mad at myself. I shouldn't have lost the first match in my first set, I lost to a Marth that was way worse than me, but I was really nervous and anxious. My controller screwed up in the second match and it cost me the game. In the losers bracket, I got ***** by Quik's Wario, first time I ever played a good one, and I wanted to leave anyway because I was really tired and it was going super slow, so I wasn't playing my best.

Overall, it was really fun, and I met some really amazing people. I met this guy named Amari, his TL is one of the best I've ever seen, almost as good as Santi. I also met a Mario named BO X7 that should've beaten Kirk (he 2 stocked him the first time and then Kirk got lucky spikes to win the last 2) and beat Tink. I didn't stay to the end but I know Anther got first, NoJ got second, and lain got 3rd.

I guess you guys can discuss this and post about your first tourney, etc.

And thanks to Kadaj, Steel, Dr Peepee, Pierce7D, and VietGeek for giving me advice and thanks to all of the productive posters here for helping me improve. I don't have any vids, which is probably a good thing.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
All this happened to me at the PnT Tourney in NYC on Oct.18th. Yea, i had some really good people in my pool (Doom, Glick, NinjaLink) but i should'nt have lost some of those matches. It was the new atmosphere and nerve that got me. You'll do better next time, trust me =P

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Glick is amazing =). If I were you, I would have asked to borrow a friends controller, since yours was broken. Did you ever get to fix it?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
yea sometimes that no johns thing sucks, i remember anyone who put their controller in port 1 in a particular Wii, it would go hay wire.

but hey, its your first time, enjoy you actually went, i felt bad when tey made jokes, but itspushing me to be better. I got ***** by alot of people, i lost my pool 1-7.

IDK

Smash Lord
title change to "Your first tourney" ? possibly "my first tourney" but that might make people think the thread is only talking about SOLID's first tourney... lol.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
****, i hate tournies because they always seem to make ppl worse (except for MK and Snake of course). Tournies w/legititmate johns = wifi match IMO. I hate the pressure of being in a tournament, its too stressful to play well. I dont know how other people do it. Sounds to me like you got a raw deal Solid but so long as you still have some dignity and pride, you will move on.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
First tourneys are hard for everyone. I got 13th at my first one. Only difference was, I wasn't nervous. No, I thought I was going to win hands down, LMAO. At least you learned stuff and had fun, that's what matters.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The thing is that usually you are scared.
Your hands quake, you start to shiver, and it seems like your hands have gone frozen.
You make stupid mistakes and every loss is a really ball buster.

Yet, the friendlies are so much better, because you arn't playing to win. Just to play.
That's the thing, I did much better in the friendlies because I wasn't as frozen as the actual torney, it was fun, you learn lots of stuff, and It really is just to play.

When newbies go to a torney, it really is harder for them, they have to take in so much.
I know it seems wierd, but just relax, make jokes, laugh at your deaths, and apoligize for the other persons deaths..
Just make it seem casual.

My first fight was really bad, I was Marth, the other was wolf. and it was on delphino plaza. And I drowned in the water two times....
It wound being that I lost, but I took two lives away from the other person.

It was fun, But I tried to make the next fight casual.
And I won, I was having fun, instead of thinking of winning.
Just goes to show ya....

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
First tourneys are hard for everyone. I got 13th at my first one. Only difference was, I wasn't nervous. No, I thought I was going to win hands down, LMAO. At least you learned stuff and had fun, that's what matters.
LMAO, I got 13th too. Coincidence?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Lol nice ZMT... Anyone good there?
Now? Yeah, there's a lot of good Metaknights <_<. (Im serious)

At the time, I didn't know anyone, so I had that feeling of loneliness, excitement, and nervousness at the time time. Of course, this was like 4 months back and now Im more comfortable. I usually do fairly well. I plan on moving to the Orlando area in like 9 months when I graduate, so thatll be fun.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Your nerves don't get in the way as much when you know what to expect.

Aim for 5th place. Represent. <_<

I've heard of Amari before...

but I can't put my finger on it...

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
My first tourney is coming up on the 29th. Maybe I should get 13th to carry on the tradition? I'm assuming I'll get there and be ready, and then totally bomb the first match because I let my nerves get to me. I'm a huge victim of nerves. x_x But all in all, I think that tournaments are supposed to be fun regardless of what place you got, even if it was 13th. You meet cool people I hear, so I'm ready.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
It would be nice if you could just do some practice rounds before the actural tournament, just for fun. That would be an easy way to 1) gauge your competition and 2) calm your nerves. However, i dont see that happening anytime in the near future for any tournament.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Grats on your first tournament. Can't really speak from experience about it since I'm in the middle of scrubsville(Ha MK is nub lololol! .....idiots....) but first time you participate in a tournament for anything you're nervous and you make mistakes. The more tournaments you go to, the easier it is to play at your best, until eventually you're like viet and getting 5th place every time(unless you're getting first).
Don't beat yourself up too much about it =].

nash123

Smash Journeyman
You guys who got 13th are lucky, my first 3 tournies I got last then my 4th it started to get better and my latest tourny I almost beat tc1(too **** good with diddy), beat two MKs and a GaW then lost to a peach called sky.Got 9th atleast.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
SOLID, I wish we could have gotten to finish our Marth ditto. I had a pretty solid lead on you, but we never know what would have happened =P

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm kinda with Kadaj on this one (as far as Brawl goes).

I didn't know how I'd do, and I'm suddenly in the Grand Finals vs Lord Karn's ROB (smart bro btw). Not knowing the matchup other than theory, I got ***** by silly tricks, most of them involving ROB's Nair, and it ended up going 2-2, smashville, last stock, high percent. I was trying to get a finish finally and swat Karn off as he attempted to return, but it seemed like he had limitless fuel lol. After two untippered hits, I had basically throw myself off of the stage in the effort to win. Another untippered hit...shoot. I'm falling, without a second jump, about to up-B (ignorant of how quickly ROB can grab the edge out of his up-B), and then Karn bumps into the very tip of Smashville instead of grabbing the edge. His fuel runs out, he falls past me as I up-B to safety,

and I hear the funniest black bro I've ever known IRL to say this as he fell to his death "rising gas prices."

It was a good day.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm kinda with Kadaj on this one (as far as Brawl goes).

I didn't know how I'd do, and I'm suddenly in the Grand Finals vs Lord Karn's ROB (smart bro btw). Not knowing the matchup other than theory, I got ***** by silly tricks, most of them involving ROB's Nair, and it ended up going 2-2, smashville, last stock, high percent. I was trying to get a finish finally and swat Karn off as he attempted to return, but it seemed like he had limitless fuel lol. After two untippered hits, I had basically throw myself off of the stage in the effort to win. Another untippered hit...shoot. I'm falling, without a second jump, about to up-B (ignorant of how quickly ROB can grab the edge out of his up-B), and then Karn bumps into the very tip of Smashville instead of grabbing the edge. His fuel runs out, he falls past me as I up-B to safety,

and I hear the funniest black bro I've ever known IRL to say this as he fell to his death "rising gas prices."

It was a good day.
TL;DR:

Black ppl in tourneys are mad cool.

Top Bottom