• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tournament Reflections

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'm kinda with Kadaj on this one (as far as Brawl goes).

I didn't know how I'd do, and I'm suddenly in the Grand Finals vs Lord Karn's ROB (smart bro btw). Not knowing the matchup other than theory, I got ***** by silly tricks, most of them involving ROB's Nair, and it ended up going 2-2, smashville, last stock, high percent. I was trying to get a finish finally and swat Karn off as he attempted to return, but it seemed like he had limitless fuel lol. After two untippered hits, I had basically throw myself off of the stage in the effort to win. Another untippered hit...shoot. I'm falling, without a second jump, about to up-B (ignorant of how quickly ROB can grab the edge out of his up-B), and then Karn bumps into the very tip of Smashville instead of grabbing the edge. His fuel runs out, he falls past me as I up-B to safety,

and I hear the funniest black bro I've ever known IRL to say this as he fell to his death "rising gas prices."

It was a good day.
LOL! Good story.

∫unk

Smash Master
OK, so my first tournament was yesterday, and it was really fun.

I did pretty badly. My team got ***** in our first match, we only took off one stock, and in the second match, we took off 2 when I switched to Falco. It was double elim, so in our second set, we BARELY lost, if my partner was a bit better, we would've won, but I didn't even really want to play doubles, so it's W/E.

After that I played a bunch of friendlies, mostly doubles because there weren't enough TV's to play a lot of singles. They were fun and exciting though, and I did well. My best match was a friendly against Mend0za's CF (lol) and I lost, but I had like 15 people watching, AND my controller was messed up, like it kept moving me left when was just standing, and I couldn't dash.. It was really even, and it was on Yoshi's Island Brawl. He teched a spike of mine and thats why I lost. I also got really lucky because I was about to die, and then the platform saved me.

On to singles: I did quite badly, and I'm mad at myself. I shouldn't have lost the first match in my first set, I lost to a Marth that was way worse than me, but I was really nervous and anxious. My controller screwed up in the second match and it cost me the game. In the losers bracket, I got ***** by Quik's Wario, first time I ever played a good one, and I wanted to leave anyway because I was really tired and it was going super slow, so I wasn't playing my best.

Overall, it was really fun, and I met some really amazing people. I met this guy named Amari, his TL is one of the best I've ever seen, almost as good as Santi. I also met a Mario named BO X7 that should've beaten Kirk (he 2 stocked him the first time and then Kirk got lucky spikes to win the last 2) and beat Tink. I didn't stay to the end but I know Anther got first, NoJ got second, and lain got 3rd.

I guess you guys can discuss this and post about your first tourney, etc.

And thanks to Kadaj, Steel, Dr Peepee, Pierce7D, and VietGeek for giving me advice and thanks to all of the productive posters here for helping me improve. I don't have any vids, which is probably a good thing.
John #1: You picked your partner. Seriously you will never find a perfectly equal ability partner so instead of johning about it how about you just try to understand his weaknesses and try to cover them, because I can guarantee you didn't do that.

John #2: If your controller is messed up, kindly ask your opponent if you can pause the game to fix it, or how about you test your controller beforehand? Most people will bring 2 controllers for this situation.

John #3: Oh he did something someone good would have done? And you got lucky and was still in the match? Sounds like you should have lost against the captain falcon regardless.

John #4: The Marth was better than you because he beat you. Simple as that. You don't think they're nervous? It's about controlling your emotions. You're going to get gimped, your finger is going to slip, stupid **** will happen to you in the future. It's about how you play after that.

And again with the controller john... sorry but you deserve to lose if you bring a weird controller with no backup.

John #5: Everyone is tired at a tournament. Stop being self-centered and understand no one wants to wait around to watch your ****ty marth either.

John #6: It doesn't matter who should have or would have won. The Patriots should have won the superbowl last year and gone 19-0. NO ONE CARES. ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHO ACTUALLY WON.

Fail #7: COUGH COUGH COUGH

The_Blue_Bomber

Smash Journeyman
In my first tourney I came 2nd, I was doing amazingly well until the finals. When I got the the finals I was like "OMG IM IN THE FINALS!! OMG OMG OMG" And I started getting all nervous. Then I choked big time and started making lame mistakes.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
In my first tourney I came 2nd, I was doing amazingly well until the finals. When I got the the finals I was like "OMG IM IN THE FINALS!! OMG OMG OMG" And I started getting all nervous. Then I choked big time and started making lame mistakes.

This made me laugh.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
John #1: You picked your partner. Seriously you will never find a perfectly equal ability partner so instead of johning about it how about you just try to understand his weaknesses and try to cover them, because I can guarantee you didn't do that.

John #2: If your controller is messed up, kindly ask your opponent if you can pause the game to fix it, or how about you test your controller beforehand? Most people will bring 2 controllers for this situation.

John #3: Oh he did something someone good would have done? And you got lucky and was still in the match? Sounds like you should have lost against the captain falcon regardless.

John #4: The Marth was better than you because he beat you. Simple as that. You don't think they're nervous? It's about controlling your emotions. You're going to get gimped, your finger is going to slip, stupid **** will happen to you in the future. It's about how you play after that.

And again with the controller john... sorry but you deserve to lose if you bring a weird controller with no backup.

John #5: Everyone is tired at a tournament. Stop being self-centered and understand no one wants to wait around to watch your ****ty marth either.

John #6: It doesn't matter who should have or would have won. The Patriots should have won the superbowl last year and gone 19-0. NO ONE CARES. ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHO ACTUALLY WON.

Fail #7: COUGH COUGH COUGH
****ed, little bit crude, harsh, or mean?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I guess...

I should never have an IM conversation with Junk for my own safety then. ^_^

/I suck at fighters john

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
First tourneys are always extra hard. It gets easier as you realize your improvement relative to the players around you, and as you know people.

KNOWING THE PEOPLE YOU ARE PLAYING WITH DRAMATICALLY IMPROVES PERFORMANCE imo.

Or at least, knowing some of the people. I can **** you just fine if I don't know you, but if I'm at a tourney and I don't know any of the players there except the people I came with, it increases nervousness, as you have no idea of your relative skill level.

Now that I get to fight good players frequently, and am personally acquainted with all the top players in Jersey, I'm usually not nervous. Certain fights and people make me nervous, but it's not nearly as bad as my first few tourneys.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Thank you Pierce, meeting all these great smashers was a great experience especially since they were all better than who I play with normally, so it was cool to be around a whole bunch of non-scrubs that play Brawl for once in a while, it was really fun.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I think my friend Kirk was there. His Ike was pretty good, and I heard he barely lost to NoJ. :(
Kirk is complete beast. I got to play one match with him. We were going dead even until our last stock (low 0%ish on both of us). Then he *** ***** me. Hard.

Kirk is too good :laugh:

∫unk

Smash Master
i wasn't having a bad day lol

i just felt like flaming the hell out of you solid cause it's easy to do... no hate for you i just like picking on you <3

most of the time when ppl john to me i just say "no johns" viet so no fear of aim whiplash. ask steel our aim convos are usually full of lols of me being stupid.

some people call me brutally honest but i'm that way to myself too so it's all good (steel can vouch).

although i really really don't like johns i used to make them all the time until i learned the more responsibility you take for your actions the more you can claim your achievements when they happen :)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
"ask steel our aim convos are usually full of lols of me being stupid."

I don't recall.

(steel can vouch).

I don't recall.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace

i just felt like flaming the hell out of you solid cause it's easy to do... no hate for you i just like picking on you <3

most of the time when ppl john to me i just say "no johns" viet so no fear of aim whiplash. ask steel our aim convos are usually full of lols of me being stupid.

some people call me brutally honest but i'm that way to myself too so it's all good (steel can vouch).

although i really really don't like johns i used to make them all the time until i learned the more responsibility you take for your actions the more you can claim your achievements when they happen :)
Oh, well, that makes sense, and your right about the john's thing.
I just thought you were going a little out of hand, sorry for the misunderstanding.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Umm.. Thanks?

I'm sorry for being easy to flame? Lol, I don't really know how to answer this...

I know all of my johns were my fault, I'm not saying them to make it seem like I got cheated out of a win, etc., but I'm sorry if I made it seem that way.

Top Bottom