• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally, a ban on children in a restaurant!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
"Being Mexican" does not lead to unruliness and disruption. Being a toddler watching a boring grown up movie will.

I'm assuming that this theater does not play films like Cars or Shrek or Kung Fu Panda. Children SHOULDN'T be allowed in films that are meant for adults in the first place.

You can't ban people for being a skin color. There is no correlation between skin color and unruliness. There is a correlation between being young and being inconsiderate and obnoxious. Have you ever heard a screaming child throwing a fit? Did you just suck it up and ignore it because they're a child? If so, you are discriminating against them. It's discrimination in some sense to ban children from a movie, but at the same time, is Jacob Jr going to suffer a low quality of living because he didn't get to watch Hostel or The Tree of Life? Do we need a Civil Rights Movement for children 2-12?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No, because there are laws that explicitly say you cannot bar people based on race. Children, as a collective, require parental supervision AND are a liability.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Laws are somewhat inconsistent, but racial laws make it so that you cannot refuse people service purely on the grounds of race.

However, you can restrict your business to cater to a certain age group and stuff. I mean there are lots of things which adults aren't allowed to do, is that somehow discrimination too?

Newsflash, rights don't exist. Rights are a notion and generally they aren't even followed properly. On private property, you rescind a lot of your rights because they make the rules in that establishment. Plus the face that the government can just take your "rights" from you anyway so actually they're not even rights because the idea of rights is that they are concrete and something a human just has almost like natural law.

Which only idiots believe, so no, your rights are forfeit, go flush the first amendment down the toilet like you all should have done a long time ago because it doesn't actually mean jack.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
"Being Mexican" does not lead to unruliness and disruption.
Except I'm sure there are thousands upon thousands of racist business owners who completely disagree with you. And all that matters is what they believe, cause they're the only ones with the rights....correct?

You can't ban people for being a skin color. There is no correlation between skin color and unruliness

Again, all that matters is the rights of business owners so if they feel that there is a correlation then it's their right to refuse service to anyone. Are you starting to see how thin the line this is?

There is a correlation between being young and being inconsiderate and obnoxious.Have you ever heard a screaming child throwing a fit? Did you just suck it up and ignore it because they're a child? If so, you are discriminating against them. It's discrimination in some sense to ban children from a movie, but at the same time, is Jacob Jr going to suffer a low quality of living because he didn't get to watch Hostel or The Tree of Life? Do we need a Civil Rights Movement for children 2-12?
No, there is a correlation between being inconsiderate and obnoxious and being inconsiderate and obnoxious. Age has nothing to do with it, just like gender, race, and religion has nothing to do with it. I'm sure everyone has experienced a child throwing a fit. Have you ever experienced an adult throwing a fit? Or how about talking really loudly? Or how about the other 9 million things adults can do that are inconsiderate and obnoxious? In movie theaters alone, the amount of times I've been annoyed by teenage girls by FAR outweighs the amount of times I've been annoyed by a young child.

It's ridiculous to single out kids when adults and teenagers are just as guilty.

Laws are somewhat inconsistent, but racial laws make it so that you cannot refuse people service purely on the grounds of race. However, you can restrict your business to cater to a certain age group and stuff. I mean there are lots of things which adults aren't allowed to do, is that somehow discrimination too?
Then is it okay for a restaurant to ban old people because the owner finds them annoying? If it's going to be legal to discriminate based on age then what's stopping this from happening? And the only time adults not being allowed to do stuff kids can would be discrimination is if the reason they couldn't participate is because they were deemed "annoying"...but like most things adults can do that kids can't, I'm fairly sure that the reason this happens most of the time is safety.

Newsflash, rights don't exist. Rights are a notion and generally they aren't even followed properly. On private property, you rescind a lot of your rights because they make the rules in that establishment. Plus the face that the government can just take your "rights" from you anyway so actually they're not even rights because the idea of rights is that they are concrete and something a human just has almost like natural law.

Which only idiots believe, so no, your rights are forfeit, go flush the first amendment down the toilet like you all should have done a long time ago because it doesn't actually mean jack.
I'm talking about rights in regard to legality. You don't need to lecture me about how rights aren't some blessing defaulted to us by god, I understand very well that rights don't actually exist and that the government controls them completely. What I don't understand is why you're bringing it up when I'm clearly talking about rights in a specific and legitimate context.

A person has the right to not be refused service because of their race, nationality, or religion according to law... even on private property. I think this should be modified to include age as well. Just because some people single out kids as the #1 most annoying thing in the world and completely detrimental to all enjoyment that is to be had doesn't mean it should be legal to discriminate against them freely.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A person has the right to not be refused service because of their race, nationality, or religion according to law... even on private property. I think this should be modified to include age as well. Just because some people single out kids as the #1 most annoying thing in the world and completely detrimental to all enjoyment that is to be had doesn't mean it should be legal to discriminate against them freely.
Then you would end bars, strip clubs, shooting ranges, recreational sports (paintball, laser tag, etc), and a myriad of other businesses.

Age discrimination is fine because unlike with race, nationality, and religion, we are not equal across ages. A child of 2 is not equal to a child of 5 in maturity, mental stability, and liability.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Then you would end bars, strip clubs, shooting ranges, recreational sports (paintball, laser tag, etc), and a myriad of other businesses.
As far as I know kids aren't allowed in these places because of safety issues. Discrimination because of safety is a different story entirely.

Age discrimination is fine because unlike with race, nationality, and religion, we are not equal across ages. A child of 2 is not equal to a child of 5 in maturity, mental stability, and liability.
Have you been around kids much? Some 2 year olds are much better behaved than some 5 year olds. I've had conversations with 7 year olds that are too complex for most high schools students. It's never as simple as "young = less mature and old = more mature"...children are just as diverse as any other group of people.

If kids were being banned because they were getting hurt, that would be understandable. But because they're annoying? Seems like unfair and illegal (or at least, it seems like it should be illegal) stereotyping.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Children don't have the same legal rights as adults. They never have. They can't get married, vote, buy alcohol, etc. No where does it say that anyone has the right to eat at whatever restaurant they want. Owners reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. In this particular case, a certain restaurant decided that allowing children into their establishment was bad for business so they banned children.

Just because something doesn't seem fair, doesn't automatically make it illegal.

Yes, this is discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination. Also, stereotyping isn't illegal.

I want to point out one more time that the restaurant in question is clearly geared toward adults. Children should never have been there. Can we stop beating the dead horse now?

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
When you go to fancy restaurant, you may have to pay hundreds of dollars for that meal. People pay for this service. Should screaming children be allowed?

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Children don't have the same legal rights as adults. They never have. They can't get married, vote, buy alcohol, etc.
Right, however these limits are in place for reasons beyond "kids are annoying". Just because children don't have the same legal rights in some regards doesn't mean they don't have legal rights at all.

No where does it say that anyone has the right to eat at whatever restaurant they want. Owners reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. In this particular case, a certain restaurant decided that allowing children into their establishment was bad for business so they banned children.
Replace the word "children" with any group of people, say Muslims, and you will have a serious problem justifying these sentiments. The problem isn't that it's children being banned, the problem is that an entire group of people has been banned because "they are annoying" or "hurting business". I'm sure this excuse has been used many times with many different groups of people, and while it's possible to make the argument that it's a different case with children, I still don't see it as different enough to justify this type of discrimination.

Just because something doesn't seem fair, doesn't automatically make it illegal.

Yes, this is discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination. Also, stereotyping isn't illegal.
Just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean there aren't good arguments for making it illegal. No, stereotyping isn't illegal but using it in this manner might be illegal at some point, and it may technically already be illegal.

I want to point out one more time that the restaurant in question is clearly geared toward adults. Children should never have been there. Can we stop beating the dead horse now?
Where children should and shouldn't be is not your decision to make, unless they're your kids (and even then, it still might not be your decision...but that's a whole different discussion).

And I fail to see how this is a dead horse, I think it's an extremely interesting topic. Plus it's my birthday so I'll do what I want ;)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Kids don't have the same rights as adults. Not all laws are just for safety, some are just put in place to let kids be kids without the restrictions of adulthood. No matter how you try to make it seem kids and adults are different, so if a resturant for adults wants to ban kids then that's fine, kids have an increased likelyhood to be disruptive and instead of getting caught up in a mess waiting for kids to become disruptive just ban all of them to save the hassle.

I don't see what you're struggling to understand.

:phone:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
lol right, because I have an opposing point of view, I must be struggling to understand something. Clearly there is something wrong with me because I don't agree with you! :bee:

Kids don't have the same rights as adults.
I already talked about this.

Not all laws are just for safety, some are just put in place to let kids be kids without the restrictions of adulthood.
Such as? You mean like summer camps? Little kids sports leagues? These all have reasons for restrictions beyond "adults are annoying", don't they?

No matter how you try to make it seem blacks and whites are different, so if a resturant for whites wants to ban blacks then that's fine, blacks have an increased likelyhood to be disruptive and instead of getting caught up in a mess waiting for blacks to become disruptive just ban all of them to save the hassle.
I changed the words in your paragraph not to mock you nor to make you out to seem like some kind of racist, I did it to better show that the mentality behind the sentiment is no different. To me, this mentality is a problem no matter who the subject is and has no place in modern society.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Right, however these limits are in place for reasons beyond "kids are annoying". Just because children don't have the same legal rights in some regards doesn't mean they don't have legal rights at all.
I never said children don't have legal rights at all.

Replace the word "children" with any group of people, say Muslims, and you will have a serious problem justifying these sentiments. The problem isn't that it's children being banned, the problem is that an entire group of people has been banned because "they are annoying" or "hurting business". I'm sure this excuse has been used many times with many different groups of people, and while it's possible to make the argument that it's a different case with children, I still don't see it as different enough to justify this type of discrimination.
Read the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act. It is perfectly legal to discriminate against people because of any reason as long as federal funding is not involved. In PA, which is where McDains is located, anti-discrimination protection only applies to persons interested in property, employment, government services, education, health care, and government run/public services. McDains is none of these things thus reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. That's the law. This is NOT a moral issue and I am not going to debate it as such. Now discrimination isn't a nice thing, but it's perfectly legal in this case.

Just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean there aren't good arguments for making it illegal. No, stereotyping isn't illegal but using it in this manner might be illegal at some point, and it may technically already be illegal.
Having a good argument for something doesn't make it illegal. Until it is illegal there is no point in debating the possibility. Just because something isn't nice, doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Where children should and shouldn't be is not your decision to make, unless they're your kids (and even then, it still might not be your decision...but that's a whole different discussion).
Common sense says children shouldn't be in a place that is clearly geared toward adults. Did you even visit the McDain's website? The second sentence confuses me. Are you saying children should be able to decide for themselves?

And I fail to see how this is a dead horse, I think it's an extremely interesting topic. Plus it's my birthday so I'll do what I want ;)
Yes, it is interesting. But you keep blurring the lines between legal and moral issues. If you're not going to discuss the legality of something exclusive of the moral implication then there is no point is discussing it because morality is relative.

Also... happy birthday lol. >.>

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
lol right, because I have an opposing point of view, I must be struggling to understand something. Clearly there is something wrong with me because I don't agree with you! :bee:

I already talked about this.

Such as? You mean like summer camps? Little kids sports leagues? These all have reasons for restrictions beyond "adults are annoying", don't they?

I changed the words in your paragraph not to mock you nor to make you out to seem like some kind of racist, I did it to better show that the mentality behind the sentiment is no different. To me, this mentality is a problem no matter who the subject is and has no place in modern society.
When I said laws that let kids be kids I meant a lot of the ones that adults have that kids don't, not kids have that adults don't. Paying taxes, working etc. That's not for safety, I can think of a ton of safe jobs that kids can do, but they can't, because they're kids. If you think all laws are put there because of safety you're mistaken.

And race is entirely different to kids and adults. You're born a certain race or sex, you aren't born an adult. You can't discriminate againt old people because they're adults but you can discriminate against kids because they aren't, they don't have the same responsibilities as one.

Saying kids should be allowed to do one specific thing, in this case go into a resturant for adults, just because adults can is ridiculous. What you should be arguing for is equality between kids and adults.

And good luck with that.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Takumaru, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's moral and it doesn't mean it should stay legal. And what the hell? Just because something is law doesn't mean it's not a moral issue. Something can be a legal issue and moral issue at the same time. I think I've made my stance pretty clear. I don't think the ban is moral and therefore, I think it should be illegal. To say that I'm blurring lines is nonsense of the highest caliber.

And I really don't approve of arguments based on common sense, since common sense is a made up thing that's unique to each individual.

Also... happy birthday lol. >.>
:joyful:

When I said laws that let kids be kids I meant a lot of the ones that adults have that kids don't, not kids have that adults don't. Paying taxes, working etc. That's not for safety, I can think of a ton of safe jobs that kids can do, but they can't, because they're kids. If you think all laws are put there because of safety you're mistaken.
So you're talking about child labor? There are reasons for that not happening beyond "kids are annoying and bad for business".

And race is entirely different to kids and adults. You're born a certain race or sex, you aren't born an adult. You can't discriminate againt old people because they're adults but you can discriminate against kids because they aren't, they don't have the same responsibilities as one.
Why is it just defaulted to "it's okay to discriminate against kids in other areas of life so it's okay to discriminate against them in this situation too" ? I don't think that's a very fair way to look at things.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm...while currently, I do know that the owner has the right to refuse kids, I wonder if things would be "morally" better if he simply had a big fat sign or notice saying "You will be asked to leave if your children become a nuisance to other paying customers" kinda deal.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Oh my ****ing god.

CHILDREN ARE NOT THE SAME AS ADULTS.

Psychologically, cognitively, intellectually, physically, they are different in absolutely every single way. It is standard psychological development for young children to be selfish and therefore, quite often, disruptive.

How the **** is this being argued? Children are different in every way from adults. Black and white people are different in precisely one way -- their skin color. This does not Affect their cognitive abilities. This does not affect their ability to observe the rules of an upper-class establishment.

Being a child DOES.

Age is not a superficial descriptor. It is a marker of how far you are along in your social, psychological, cognitive, and physical development. Adults have increased rights starting in the range of 18-21 because they are approaching a plateau of their development. Ethnicity is skin color and genealogical background and nothing else.

Children aren't allowed to vote. They're not allowed to vote because they are not developed enough, in any sense of the word, to make a mature decision about political issues.

People at this restaurant are paying for a particular kind of atmosphere. That is the service being provided by the restauranteur. Children disrupt that atmosphere, because it an establishment geared toward adults. The kind that pay for their own meals and speak softly so as to not disrupt those around them. Young children do not make such considerations. This is not an assumption. It is a fact.

Establishment owners have every right to enforce rules that will provide the service that their customers pay for. It is the right of the entrepreneur to provide their services in such a way that will appease their desired clientele, thus allowing them to make money. The establishment is private property. I work at a bar, as a bouncer. If any of my managers or I determine that someone should have to leave, they have to leave. Legally. You don't have rights.

And, yes, if we happen to be racists, then I suppose that can lead to racist decisions. Too bad. That's the world we live in. The fact that this can happen does not change the fact that age and race are in no god damn way the same.

Jesus.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It seems like white-knighting for the sake of white-knighting. I would hate to spend my birthday being devil's advocate in a political debate on a smash bros forum. Especially on such a silly topic.

edit: dude I wish EE would reply to every thread in this forum ever.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Hah. Luigitoilet, you ignore my posts when you don't have a counter argument and then show up later and take cheap shots. You're pretty good at posting.

(That was sarcasm...what I'm actually saying is that your bad at posting.)

I celebrated my birthday yesterday, so don't hate ;)

Evil Eye, you're right that age and race are not the same. But the situation and mentality behind it is similar. You know, a few months ago a guy got kicked off a plane for sagging his pants. A while back there was a lot of discussion going around about whether or not banning fat people from certain services is legal/moral or not. It's a really similar situation, just a different subject matter.

Maybe it's fun to be an internet cool guy and use italics to get your point across cause they totally make what you're saying more correct but I don't think anyone appreciates being treated like having a different opinion about something is some unbelievable travesty that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

Why are you responding as if I'm doing something wrong by talking about the subject brought forth in the OP? You're a mod, if you hate reading about my point of view so much you can just lock the thread.

Hm...while currently, I do know that the owner has the right to refuse kids, I wonder if things would be "morally" better if he simply had a big fat sign or notice saying "You will be asked to leave if your children become a nuisance to other paying customers" kinda deal.
I was also thinking about something exactly along these lines. I think something like this could possibly be effective...definitely worth thinking about more.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hah. Luigitoilet, you ignore my posts when you don't have a counter argument and then show up later and take cheap shots. You're pretty good at posting.

(That was sarcasm...what I'm actually saying is that your bad at posting.)

I celebrated my birthday yesterday, so don't hate ;)
what can I say? I'm completely apathetic to internet bickering nowadays. It is empowering to be able to just stop posting about something whenever I get annoyed or disinterested. If you want, you can still mark this down in your notebook as a win, I won't mind.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Can someone tell me how comparing a kid to an adult pairs up from a white guy to a black guy?

Children are less psychologically developed than adults and all that bullcrap while to adult men of different races are more or less about the same psychological level if we're not counting any mental problems.

Seriously, I can't believe this is still being argued. The kid has less of an idea of what's acceptable in the world and thus he or she thinks bickering and being a total ***** about everything is the solution to everything while two adult men of different races both have the same idea of what's acceptable in the world don't complain about everything and throw tantrums to get what they want

Come on people, if a guy thinks a Mexican is annoying and as such won't employ him, there's no real reason for him to discriminate except for the fact that he's probably basing his decision on already established stereotypes to make his decision on, which btw, not every Mexican is a barefoot walking taco eating beer drinking job taker. I know some Mexicans that don't fit the stereotype to the bone and that's just the conceptions of a race against another. If a guy were to ban children from a restaurant meant to be attended for adults, he has every right because children already have less rights than adults. They can't drink, go to the military, drive, etc. so getting butthurt that they don't get to go to a restaurant is stupid because they're already "discriminated" from a lot of other services.

Also, I blame the parents for making their kids stupid. While yes I don't like children, and I too was that same annoying brat who would cry for a toy at Wal-Mart, at least my parents taught me (even if it involved spanking me) how I should behave myself in a ****ing store when I want a toy. Now that's good parenting. My parents could literally sit me in a chair for about an hour while they went to talk with a guy from their work while I wouldn't make a peep and stayed still because they taught me better than to be running around screaming all over the place. Now that's good parenting. Nowadays if a kid starts crying over a toy at Wal-Mart, the parents will just buy the toy for them just to stop the screaming which is ****ing stupid because the parents are literally teaching them that being a total **** about everything they want is acceptable and it's fine in society

But then again, this is already stuff that has been said in the thread about 10 times already (and probably better worded than me) so me saying this doesn't really matter

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Frotaz, you're in no position to judge the quality of someone's posts.

It gets to a point where I just think, "His posts can't possibly get any worse..."

but then they do, and i'm like

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Psychoace, If you're annoying and disruptive you usually get thrown out of places. If I was causing a rucus in the pub, resturant and probably even the supermarket I'd be asked to leave. My cousin and his friends got thrown out of the shopping center for running around pretending to be airplanes.

It's usually only kids that get special treatment.

:phone:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This restaurant seems a bit pricy, but I guess that's what they mean by "up-scale."

What, so you now you can't order babies in a restaurant anymore?!
Best response to this thread by far, lol! "Serving Children Six Years of Age and Older." With homemade chips on the side, can't go wrong there.

I went to see Resident Evil in the theater and the scene where the black guy gets diced by the laser corridor, like the lasers pass through him and he's still alive, then slowly falls apart, yeah that scene was quickly followed by the shriek and crying of an approximate 6 year old, to which the whole theater then responded with various forms of

REALLY THOUGH!?

As for eateries, it's enough to make me mad when a baby is screaming in public, ... anywhere. Let alone an establishment. When I was young, I was quiet. Any outbursts were dealt with swiftly and harshly, and I learned very early on in life that to avoid pain one should placate their overseers.

This said, the rule of McDain's would technically have been unfair to impose on me because I was a quiet, well-behaved child. But I understand their reasoning, and I wouldn't hold it against them.

TL;DL: Beat your kids into silence.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
This restaurant seems a bit pricy, but I guess that's what they mean by "up-scale."

Best response to this thread by far, lol! "Serving Children Six Years of Age and Older." With homemade chips on the side, can't go wrong there.

I went to see Resident Evil in the theater and the scene where the black guy gets diced by the laser corridor, like the lasers pass through him and he's still alive, then slowly falls apart, yeah that scene was quickly followed by the shriek and crying of an approximate 6 year old, to which the whole theater then responded with various forms of

REALLY THOUGH!?

As for eateries, it's enough to make me mad when a baby is screaming in public, ... anywhere. Let alone an establishment. When I was young, I was quiet. Any outbursts were dealt with swiftly and harshly, and I learned very early on in life that to avoid pain one should placate their overseers.

This said, the rule of McDain's would technically have been unfair to impose on me because I was a quiet, well-behaved child. But I understand their reasoning, and I wouldn't hold it against them.

TL;DL: Beat your kids into silence.
^ i like it. i wouldnt say it's necessarily the kid's fault tho. obvious parenting mistakes = unenjoyable experience for all involved. and tho i am fairly young, any disobedience to my parents was dealt with, one way or another.

kids nowadays r spoiled, not disciplined, and r becoming brats. punishment, and i honestly think this, is 1 way of solving this. hell, for me when i was younger, if i was threatened w/ punishment, i stopped whatever the hell i was doing.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh my ****ing god.

CHILDREN ARE NOT THE SAME AS ADULTS.

Psychologically, cognitively, intellectually, physically, they are different in absolutely every single way. It is standard psychological development for young children to be selfish and therefore, quite often, disruptive.

How the **** is this being argued? Children are different in every way from adults. Black and white people are different in precisely one way -- their skin color. This does not Affect their cognitive abilities. This does not affect their ability to observe the rules of an upper-class establishment.

Being a child DOES.

Age is not a superficial descriptor. It is a marker of how far you are along in your social, psychological, cognitive, and physical development. Adults have increased rights starting in the range of 18-21 because they are approaching a plateau of their development. Ethnicity is skin color and genealogical background and nothing else.

Children aren't allowed to vote. They're not allowed to vote because they are not developed enough, in any sense of the word, to make a mature decision about political issues.

People at this restaurant are paying for a particular kind of atmosphere. That is the service being provided by the restauranteur. Children disrupt that atmosphere, because it an establishment geared toward adults. The kind that pay for their own meals and speak softly so as to not disrupt those around them. Young children do not make such considerations. This is not an assumption. It is a fact.

Establishment owners have every right to enforce rules that will provide the service that their customers pay for. It is the right of the entrepreneur to provide their services in such a way that will appease their desired clientele, thus allowing them to make money. The establishment is private property. I work at a bar, as a bouncer. If any of my managers or I determine that someone should have to leave, they have to leave. Legally. You don't have rights.

And, yes, if we happen to be racists, then I suppose that can lead to racist decisions. Too bad. That's the world we live in. The fact that this can happen does not change the fact that age and race are in no god damn way the same.

Jesus.

Salutations and a thumbs up from the My ***** Eaterie.

:denzel:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Maybe they should ban mentally handicapped people too, since their condition effects their cognitive abilities and their ability to observe the rules of an upper class establishment.

:rolleyes:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I'd love it if some restaurants banned children after a certain time (like 8 or 9 pm) instead of flat out banning them.

Nothing worse than a nice dinner with a woman and suddenly you can't hear her talking anymore because there's a constant screaming going on two tables over, courtesy of the kid who doesn't want to eat his broccoli.
toddlers and babies should be banned from movie theaters imo.
Oh I'm totally with you there. No one wants to hear your newborn crying when Optimus Prime is in the middle of kicking ***. As cute as the newborn may be, she needs to be at home. With you.

Want to watch Transformers still? HELLO I AM TORRENT PROGRAM
Yes, yes and yes!
:ness:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I freakin' love how frotaz accuses LT of henpecking and whatnot when literally all he has done in this thread is henpeck tidbits of arguments and ignore the main caselines. Even more than that, I love that he goes on to do exactly this just a few sentences later. Except he doesn't address a single point I made, he simply ad hominems. "Sir, I feel that you have an incorrect opinion for the following reasons wot wot." "Yeah, well, your butt smells and you're tie's on backwards and I don't much care for yer face, so I win!!!"

Laughable.

I'm glad you've managed to latch onto another fallacious, preposterous analogy while conveniently ignoring the fact that your last one was torn to shreds and refusing to concede the point, or perhaps even recognize that you were forging a stance on bad and flawed logic. Wouldn't want you to lose your momentum, now.

The mentally handicapped comparison is only slightly less awful than the ethnicity argument you clung to so desperately. And I would show you why, but you would just deny it, henpeck a few minute strawman points to reply to in some asinine manner or other, or release the poor analogy and find yet another one to take its place. Life's too short to argue with obstinate, immobile white knights on the internet. At least, this side of the DH, anyway.

The great travesty isn't having a different opinion. The great travesty here, quite frankly, is having a stupid opinion, and then loudly carrying on with an undeserved and arrogant sense of righteousness and intelligence. And then continuing on and on, spinning around in an obnoxious and unending cycle. You've said nothing of value since you entered this thread, and now the interesting conversations that could have been (including less hyperbolic and pundit-like discussions of things you've mentioned!) have dried up in favor of you trying to exert yourself and your naive, *** on backward zealotry with middle school debating.

But yeah. I'm done. Pencil yourself another "win", champ.

EDIT: Ah what the hell; just for fun I'm going to try to crap on your new analogy in three sentences. It's gonna be tough, considering there's so much about it that is dumb.

While ******** people can in fact be disruptive for the reasons you've mentioned, this is not nearly as pervasive as you would think based on whatever anecdotal assumptions you're forming your opinion with, because while their development is generally arrested to the level of a child, a mentally handicapped adult is still an adult -- someone that has lived two or more decades of life. Children learn, and so can they, and that includes social rules, etiquette, and all that good stuff; my high school had a rather large program for mentally handicapped students, and I actually sat down at a table full of them once because they were so quiet and "normal" in their demeanor that I couldn't even tell. Lastly, this is not an easily quantifiable or measured trait, as there are degrees to most types of mental *********** and of course many, many different types of it to begin with -- it's infinitely more complex than "your children are two and four, and therefore very likely to cause a disturbance for our guests; as such we would prefer you take your business elsewhere this evening."

There, three sentences. As a bonus: people with mental handicaps can be asked to leave as necessary just as easily as a drunk and belligerent patron, a schizophrenic that is behind on their medication having an incident, or any other type of customer that is not as a rule a likely disturbance but has become one in the particular scenario.

Oh, and you've of course done nary a thing to answer to the fact that restaurants are private property, where the owners are opening their doors to you, not the other way around. You are permitted by them to enter the premises and purchase a service. That is the only law regarding them, so long as the maitre d' isn't dragging customers into a supply closet and ****** them. If people don't like the rules they can go somewhere else, and if there are enough of them that feel strongly they can organize a boycott or appeal to the legal system, but a victory there for the Parents For Loud Children In Public would still be an imposition on the actual laws, not an enforcing of law. Like I said. You have no right to be on someone's private property, period.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
If you don't like it don't go to that restaurant.

I hate children.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know EE you're lucky I always consider you to be right because there is no ****ing way I am reading that OMG.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Let's switch tracks, though. I really don't want this thread to carry on as "frotaz argues with a group of people in an inadequate manner for page after page" until it gets locked.

For all I've said about the stances frotaz has exerted, he did brush up against an interesting conversation. Where can this lead? Drawing the line at six years of age or younger isn't a bad spot for it, since seven and onward is where children really begin to develop more intricate cognitive processes and the ability to understand basic social discipline and its merit.

But what if they had said children, say, 12 years of age or younger? I'm not sure if I'd be as quick to agree with that, although once again the entrepreneur would have no legal obligation to share my point of view. What if a town, city, or state enacted this as a unilateral bylaw? I wouldn't agree with that at all. But the potential is there; look at the city of Monte Carlo, an entire city built around the idea of entertaining well to do foreigners. Children don't factor into this paradigm -- might cities such as that one begin to move in this direction?

What happens if this becomes a trend? I don't like children all that much, but I'm a young man yet, and I may change my opinion and have kids some day. If this kind of thing becomes common, I may have a different perspective from basic self-interest alone. It's interesting to think about.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
Towns, cities and states aren't private property though, one person doesn't own it and is allowed to deny people at will. Unless of course, the government would change the laws regarding that.
All private property might have that rule, as in casino's, stripclubs, restaurants, stores, but you can't close down the whole city for people of a certain age. Then again, you could take your children elsewhere.

Man, I really wouldn't want to play against EE in mafia.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think EE meant a law that said that no restaurant could have kids under X age in it, not that no kids under X age were allowed period.

This actually reminds me of another scenario that's playing out in Jacksonville, FL. The thing is the homeowners live in "planned community," where an association commands specific rules regarding its inhabitants, collectively known as the Covenant, Conditions and Restrictions (CCR). These sorts of communities can have interesting rules, such as no skateboarding, no basketball nets on the garage or portable ones, all homes must be painted white, no signs or solicitations.

As it turns out, this community has nothing against religion, or even displays endorsing religion such as a nativity scene. They do however ban signs... of any kind. This was probably meant to eliminate "Re-elect Mayor blah blah blah" type signs, or other such "unsightly" things, but the homeowners are holding fast to their claim that it's within their right to display the sign, especially because they did not sign the CCR.

So long story short, I can actually envision a community whose restaurants are all 12 years of age plus. It'd be similar to "dry counties" where no eatery within county limits is allowed to serve alcohol.

Also there are plenty of fine dining establishments where it's simply inappropriate to bring children, but these places usually have strict dress codes, 100 dollar plates of food, and aren't exactly the types of places you'd take your family out for eating. McDain's is mid-range, so it's understandable that some families are offended, but honestly it's just speaking more about the parents themselves, as I'm sure their offense is really a knee-jerk reaction to being told in essence, you suck as parents, so badly in fact that we don't want you here unless you come without your kids.

Top Bottom