• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fallacies in Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Thanks for the welcoming, it's good to be in here among the brighter minds of SWF.

The fact that we still can't explain how it happened is what puzzels me as it does. God/Aliens is the only real scapegoat, and if you ignore that, you're stuck with the big bang, which is what has those awkwardly low odds I keep bringing up time and time again.

If I've misunderstood the anthropic principle, then feel free to disregard this.

Aesir

Smash Master
Thanks for the welcoming, it's good to be in here among the brighter minds of SWF.

The fact that we still can't explain how it happened is what puzzels me as it does. God/Aliens is the only real scapegoat, and if you ignore that, you're stuck with the big bang, which is what has those awkwardly low odds I keep bringing up time and time again.

If I've misunderstood the anthropic principle, then feel free to disregard this.
1. Why must there be a scapegoat?

2. All you're doing is poking holes in the evolution argument, do you have a theory that can challenge evolution? that can take the facts of evolution and make a solid theory that can be tested and scrutinized?

Something better then the current theory of evolution? If so I'd like to see it.

Low odds =/= Impossibility.

manhunter098

Smash Lord

Really of you consider the potential size of the universe and all the billions of years it has been in existence the odds of life forming are pretty good. We havent been able to fill in all the holes quite yet, but we are constantly getting closer and closer and in time its possible that we could create life from scratch.

As for your low odds of the big bang happening, since we dont actually know what even existed before it, and given our understanding off it, odds dont even play into the equation. The universe is here, we wont ever know what it was before it was just constantly expanding, but we know that its expanding in a rather uniform fashion, and we can postulate the things that makes sense, or we can make something up and just pretend it makes sense.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Low odds =/= Impossibility.
Since when did any possibility at all, no matter how slim, mean it must of happened?

No matter how many times you try something incredibly unlikely over and over, it's no more likely to come out correctly then the last time. Putting all your money into the lottery for tons of individual tries won't make any try more likely. It's still just as incredibly unlikely each time you spin the wheel of chance.

Aesir

Smash Master
Since when did any possibility at all, no matter how slim, mean it must of happened?
When did I say that?

No matter how many times you try something incredibly unlikely over and over, it's no more likely to come out correctly then the last time. Putting all your money into the lottery for tons of individual tries won't make any try more likely. It's still just as incredibly unlikely each time you spin the wheel of chance.
First answer this:
What evidence do you have that the universe, life, everything is so incredible unlikely to have developed by chance?

Then answer this:
Do you have an countering theory? something that can explain the facts better then the already accepted theory?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
PockyD, indeed my argument was to prove that science and religion do overlap, and that they aren't separate fields where one does not and cannot interact with the other.

Now, at Master Warlord. If you long for evidence of evolution, please read this article. And just keep this in mind, it is only one of huge amounts of evidence that support evolution. There is not at all any academic or scientific doubt of the validity of evolution. The only people who try to bring doubt upon it at all are the religiously motivated creationists, now masquerading under the more politically appealing title of "intelligent design". Science does not back their position at all, thus they resort to poor science, deliberately quoting actual scientists out of context, or just not employ science at all and simply try to assert themselves by fiat.

As for the how improbably large those chances seem to us, keep in mind, this is you thinking with your brain that is used to appraising such odds on scales of minutes, hours, days, or even decades. But the period of time that passed for evolution and even the start of things that could even replicate, is on the scale of millions to billions of years. Large and daunting they may seem to us at the moment, spread those odds over that much time, they become far less intimidating. Sure, winning the lottery at any given moment is statistically improbable to happen, probably even for the length of an average human life. But if you tried for the lottery every day for a million, or even a billion, years, not only will you have been sure to win, but you will have been assured to win several times.

As for theories for how life started on Earth (without depending upon exogenesis, which really only relocates the problem to somewhere else), there are several. You can read this wikipedia article to get a pretty good but brief overview of a lot of them.

Now, for the coup de grace, I would like to point out that your calling for a the "need" of a God to explain the "problem" not only does not answer it, but rather exacerbates the problem considerably. You say you have a hard time imagining how hard it is things to come to being on their own, so you invoke a creator, but whence does the creator himself/herself/itself come from? Your "solution" is only a reiteration of the problem, but on a much huger scale. If cells coming into existence seemed improbable, how about the spontaneous generation of super-powerful being capable of making life from nothing? I hope it is no understatement that such a being is magnitudes greater of a statistical improbability than a cell could ever hope to be. The designer of something as complex as multicellular life would have be much more complicated than his own creations.

As ever, God proves far from being a parsimonious and logical "answer".

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
First answer this:
What evidence do you have that the universe, life, everything is so incredible unlikely to have developed by chance?
-How incredibly perfect everything is, such as my earlier example (Although before you got here) of the earth and sun's placement.
-How incredibly complicated a cell is. It makes a super compter look simple.

Then answer this:
Do you have an countering theory? something that can explain the facts better then the already accepted theory?
-Intelligent design. I know I'll get attacked the hell out of for being the minority here, what with being at a video game board, but everything is so perfectly put into place that it seems as if it were designed by someone of greater intelligence then us. A.K.A., a God.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
-How incredibly perfect everything is, such as my earlier example (Although before you got here) of the earth and sun's placement.

-Intelligent design. I know I'll get attacked the hell out of for being the minority here, what with being at a video game board, but everything is so perfectly put into place that it seems as if it were designed by someone of greater intelligence then us. A.K.A., a God.

Your point? Matter is matter and it will act in the same way always. I dont really see how the presence of universal constants reveals the presence of a higher power. It just shows that 1=1 and 2=2. Furthermore life likely developed on earth because of its placement and elemental composition, earth wasnt placed here for life to develop. Correlation is not the same thing as causation.

Actually, evolutionary theory accounts pretty well for just about everything within it aside from the formation of the cell wall. Thats the only large gap that I know about so far in evolutionary theory. This horse has also been beaten to DEATH (maybe sixteen times over or so) in another thread. Evolution is real, intelligent design, while clearly a possibility because it cannot be falsified, is bull****.

Aesir

Smash Master
So you believe the universe is fine tuned?

It's easy to find coincidental instances when you're looking for them. you can look at the suns placement to the earths and think "Wow that's rather coincidental." and then you realize that the sun is going to completely fall apart in 5 billion years.

Or then you realize that we're on a collision course with the Andromeda galaxy

and then you realize that 99.9999999999% of the universe (slight exaggeration) will kill life instantly, Is this what you mean by perfection?

You can find instances where something looks designed and made for us, but you really have to take a step back and realize that if this was designed by a creator he certainly isn't benevolent, and if he was he certainly was a horrible designer and likely would get his license revoked.

Single Cell life sprouted rather quickly on earth, it had billions and billions of years to evolve and make it's self more efficient.

It was because of those billions upon billions of years of evolution did they become complex.

Everything isn't so perfectly in place, I can find many problems with the human body alone, there's problems with the way the universe forms stars, hell the way the universe acts isn't very intelligent to begin with.

you should look into the works of Ken Miller (I'm sure most of the DH is sick of me on this guys nuts).

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
I see you avoided responding to reaver197's comment about the probability of god existing. I have noticed that creationists always skip that part. I would really like to know why it is impossible for a cell to "randomly" appear but the random occurrence of of such a powerful being is very possible. It is actually more likely that aliens exist and dropped off a cell on earth than the existence of god.

Science can't disprove intelligent design because it plays by different rules. Much like how I am undefeated in professional boxing, you can't prove that I am not the best boxer in the world because I don't box. I would never be able to defeat a real boxer in an actual boxing match, but if I change the rules so that I can use weapons and my opponent can't, I could win. If evolution is forced to follow the laws of logic and statistics then it will always lose to a theory that doesn't have too. But if the field is even evolution will beat creationism/intelligent design.

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design using statistics

Probability of "random" cell forming > probability of much more complex being
Evolution wins

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design using creationists rules

Evolution is right because I said so
Evolution wins again

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's the beauty (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it) of believing in such a complex being... if they are more complex/powerful/whatever than we are, how can we say that they are bound by the same rules as us? maybe time flows backwards, maybe he crosses dimensions, or any sort of ridiculous theory. However, once again, under the assumption that the being argued about is far beyond human comprehension, it's not implausible to think that what he/she is capable of is also beyond our comprehension

You can't "reason away" the existence of a superior being; the belief that God can do whatever he wants circumvents any specific aspect of him that you find unreasonable

Reaver197

Smash Lord
that's the beauty (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it) of believing in such a complex being... if they are more complex/powerful/whatever than we are, how can we say that they are bound by the same rules as us? maybe time flows backwards, maybe he crosses dimensions, or any sort of ridiculous theory. However, once again, under the assumption that the being argued about is far beyond human comprehension, it's not implausible to think that what he/she is capable of is also beyond our comprehension

You can't "reason away" the existence of a superior being; the belief that God can do whatever he wants circumvents any specific aspect of him that you find unreasonable
Such back-bending accommodations. Not only will I point out that dimensions don't work that way (reading Brian Greene's heady book on string theory gave me some help on that, but I still admit that I'm quite lacking in understanding the totality of it), but that if you at all believe in a god's ability to hear prayers, understand vocalized languages, directly enact upon the physical world, and, most importantly, impregnate a woman to have a son, he would have to have some tangible presence and existence in our "dimension", and thus should have some direct evidence of himself. No evidence has ever been found, nor does it seem like there ever will be.

Also, please note that the only reason god could ever said to be "beyond human comprehension" is because religious people keep changing the terms and nature of this God of theirs. I don't believe there is any consistent definition of what, exactly, God is, what is he made of, how he operates, where he resides, etc. etc. Always, and ever, the answer is that "he moves in mysterious ways" or that "he's beyond comprehension and understanding". No, he's only that way because people claim he is, and always shift his nature to always be veiled by a great degree of ignorance injected with a considerable amount of magic. The god you're arguing for is a God of the gaps, only able to "exist" by virtue of what knowledge we happen to lack, and always he shrinks and retreats as our knowledge expands.

RDK

Smash Hero
This is still relating to the topic, but I apologize for not joining the conversation directly.

My basic stance relating to believing in a god is quite simple. I want you to directly prove to me evoloution is true, which is the only way we can be here without a god.

There is far too little evidence for evoloution for it to truly even be considered a hypothesis, let alone a theory, much less a scientific law. Where are the fossils of the animals inbetween stages of evoloution?

And more importantly. . .The directly calculated odds of forming one cell (Which is incredbly complicated) are one in one with forty million zeros after it. I don't trust those odds when I still can't win the lottery. . .

Evoloutionists seem to just be shutting out the idea of God. They're perfectly accepting into believing aliens dropped a cell off here and started the evoloution cycle, but not God? Utterly ridiculous. Even highly respected evoloutions such as Richard Dawkins have said this.

Despite this, evoloution is being taught as a fact, no questions asked, and it's impossible to be a Christian scientist anymore. You mention your faith, you're more likely then not going to be targeted. Fun fun, wouldn't you agree?
The red mark from the enormous facepalm I just gave myself hurts like a mother****er.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Well put, RDK.

MasterWarlord, you're reason for believing in God is because evolution, the ONLY POSSIBLE OTHER WAY the earth could have been created, has not been proven? Do you really not notice the irony? God's existence has no evidence AT ALL! Why couldn't little magic flying elves have created the world? What about charles, the great armadillo? I think he created the world!

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well put, RDK.

MasterWarlord, you're reason for believing in God is because evolution, the ONLY POSSIBLE OTHER WAY the earth could have been created, has not been proven? Do you really not notice the irony? God's existence has no evidence AT ALL! Why couldn't little magic flying elves have created the world? What about charles, the great armadillo? I think he created the world!
10flyingspaghettimonsters

Pastafariansim is where its at.

RDK

Smash Hero
The argument that everything is "fine tuned" is such a ridiculous argument that it makes me physically sick.

If the universe is a product of the Christian god's genius, and the human species is his magnum opus, then your god is an idiotic boob who should be ashamed of himself. The only thing amazing about the human body is that it works at all.

Edit: Charles the Armadillo, LMFAO.

Ah, the old "non-overlapping magisteria" argument. You're essentially saying that science and religion exist as completely separate and disparate fields which do not overlap at all, so that one cannot take the "rules" of one field and apply it to the other, if I'm not mistaken.

Not only is that a pretty hypocritical position to take (maybe not for you personally, but definitely for the religious community as whole), since I only have to point out creationists as a clear encroachment of religion on to what is rightly and provably scientific grounds. But, if you think about it hard enough, you can see that the claim that science and religion do not overlap is quite false.

Take, for example, the birthing process. A thoroughly biological and scientifically understood process. I hope you agree that biology and human physiology fall quite entirely within the realm of science, with all its logical and rational thinking. Yet, one of the current main tenants of Christianity (even though, funnily enough, it was not originally part of Christianity at all) was that Jesus was born from a virgin. Now, please tell me you see the glaring clash that occurs because of that. Scientific understanding is such that it is impossible for a female to spontaneously be able to generate an egg that suddenly has a full set of genes, and that develops into a baby. If such a thing were to actually occur, our fundamental understanding of human physiology and fetal development would have to be overhauled.

Now, there is also the case of the various "miracles" ostensibly performed through out the Bible. Noah's crossing of the Red Sea (which doubtfully ever happened, not only because of the fact there doesn't seem to be an evidence that the Jews were ever held as slaves in Egypt) in which he (or the ever elusive God) causes the water to part without any sort of physical means. Don't tell me that such a blatant disregard for even the most basic of laws of physics can't go unquestioned or unaccountable. Yet, that's precisely what happens, religion massively contradicts science, directly voiding physics.

Then there's also the claims of people coming back from the dead. Once again, physics and biology is completely ignored. A clear encroachment on scientific fact, yet religion brooks no invasion of its claims.

Also, let me pose the question of why should we not approach anything with logic and rationality? It seems to me the far more dangerous thing is to not think about things logically and rationally enough.

Also, lol at GI Josh, either logic applies to religion or it doesn't. There's no "oh, hey, we're only allowed to apply, uh, about 65% logic here". Just think about how absurd what you're saying is.
...You kind of missed the point dude.

First off, I meant to say an equilateral triangle, not a 30, 60, 90 triangle. My bad.

Now...I saw nothing in your post defending religion. I'm not taking sides, I'm saying that I don't think both sides can effectively critique the other. You are trying to say that science is superior to religion, and that's it.

Moses crossing the Red Sea? Of course there's no evidence for it. That's why you can't use science to critique religion, because they will simply say you take it on faith. Besides, how do we know that "God" does not use science and the laws of physics, math, etc. to accomplish these said "miracles?" All that is written in the Bible is that Moses did it through his faith, but that faith accesses God's supposed power. That power might just be based off of his "all knowing" and "omnipotence." Whereas Christians will not agree with some things scientists find because it goes against something they believe. Hmmm...funny how a theory is so similar to the concept of faith, eh? Because it's not proven.

Yea, religion does sometimes contradict physics(or at least it may seem that way, because things aren't always fully explained in religious books), but that's all you're arguing. I'm not arguing for or against either side. I simply don't think that either one can give an UNBIASED(No offense but in other words, very different from your own) opinion of the other.

And the other thing I want to say is that there's never any middle ground in this debate, or it seems that way. You're either completely scientific, or you're absolutely religious. Therefore you do not have an open mind, and therefore your opinion is always going to be biased, and therefore you can't critique the other effectively.

Imagine if someone actually believed what I just said, that God does exist BUT he also uses SCIENCE! to go about his business, whatever that may be. Huh...what a concept.:psycho: I'm sure there are those in here who will try to argue this point, but you know what? If you're any kind of believer in science, then you know that there is an infinite amount of things to be discovered and we don't know everything. IF God exists, then he does. We've got a long way to go.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
...You kind of missed the point dude.

First off, I meant to say an equilateral triangle, not a 30, 60, 90 triangle. My bad.

Now...I saw nothing in your post defending religion. I'm not taking sides, I'm saying that I don't think both sides can effectively critique the other. You are trying to say that science is superior to religion, and that's it.
Wrong. My post is precisely about the fact that science can effectively critique religion (I would like to say that it can go the other way, but how can the one side that lacks all the evidence critique the side that does?). You were trying to say that people couldn't apply logical reasoning and scientific process to religion, simply by the fact that it doesn't "count". I'm stating that religion makes claims in areas that are and can be subject to logical and scientific thought.

Moses crossing the Red Sea? Of course there's no evidence for it. That's why you can't use science to critique religion, because they will simply say you take it on faith. Besides, how do we know that "God" does not use science and the laws of physics, math, etc. to accomplish these said "miracles?" All that is written in the Bible is that Moses did it through his faith, but that faith accesses God's supposed power. That power might just be based off of his "all knowing" and "omnipotence." Whereas Christians will not agree with some things scientists find because it goes against something they believe. Hmmm...funny how a theory is so similar to the concept of faith, eh? Because it's not proven.
Alright, first off, you have to understand what scientific theory is. You're making the unfortunately common mistake of thinking that scientific theory is just a postulation that has yet to be proved or disproved. It's quite the opposite really. To quote from Wikipedia (because I know how atrociously difficult it can be to look things up):

'In science a theory is a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise verified through empirical observation. For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity.'

And a quote from the United States National Academy of Sciences (from the very same Wikipedia page):

'Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena.'

In science, nothing is just taken on "faith". Scientists believe what they believe because they've tested that belief rigorously, finding evidence to support whatever it is. If the evidence comes out against it, then they shall find the belief to be inaccurate or untrue, and shall not use it any more.

In fact, the whole point of "faith" is that you believe something in spite of all the evidence against it. In that respect, yes, it seems that scientific thinking does not apply, but not due to any special feature or characteristic of religion or God. It is due to the fact that religious people will simply not listen to the evidence or ignore it as long as it says something they don't like. Would religious apologists be so eager to try and say "science can't apply to religion" if it turned out there was an iota of possibly reliable evidence for a God? I somehow doubt it.

Yea, religion does sometimes contradict physics(or at least it may seem that way, because things aren't always fully explained in religious books), but that's all you're arguing. I'm not arguing for or against either side. I simply don't think that either one can give an UNBIASED(No offense but in other words, very different from your own) opinion of the other.

And the other thing I want to say is that there's never any middle ground in this debate, or it seems that way. You're either completely scientific, or you're absolutely religious. Therefore you do not have an open mind, and therefore your opinion is always going to be biased, and therefore you can't critique the other effectively.
I will say that by arguing that somehow religion does not need to be held up to the tests of logical consistency that pretty much every other idea or argument in the world is held up to, that you are putting yourself on a side.

I also take great offense at your use of "unbiased", not because it was done at my expense, but because it so clearly demonstrates that you don't really know what it means. To give an unbiased report would be to present two sides equally, if the evidence supports them equally. Being biased would be taking one particular side for arbitrary reasons, even though the other side has an equal (or pretty close) amount of evidence or truth value to it.

However, in this case, it is not true at all that religion holds an equivalent amount of evidence to back it up as with science. In fact, pretty much all the evidence is on the side of scientific inquiry, not surprisingly, since the point of science is to be based upon evidence. The same cannot be said for religion, which goes out of its way to disregard evidence, and then say that it's a good thing called "faith". If someone claims to me that the sky is red, I wouldn't try to suddenly give it equal footing with the idea that the sky is blue in order to appear "unbiased". You don't sacrifice evidence and critical thinking skills so you can be unbiased.

Having an open mind, in my opinion, is being able to listen to, understand, and appreciate all the evidence, even if proves something you don't like (or disproves something that you did). Evidence isn't opinion, by the way, it's fact. If you can't even accept the facts, then there is not way for you to be open minded. But I will give you point that no opinion can ever be completely unbiased. However, that's generally why we try to base our opinions on fact as much as we can, to make it as least biased as possible.

Imagine if someone actually believed what I just said, that God does exist BUT he also uses SCIENCE! to go about his business, whatever that may be. Huh...what a concept.:psycho: I'm sure there are those in here who will try to argue this point, but you know what? If you're any kind of believer in science, then you know that there is an infinite amount of things to be discovered and we don't know everything. IF God exists, then he does. We've got a long way to go.
There are a couple of scientists who claim to be deeply religious, but they're few and far between, and often aren't particularly notable or respected scientists. In fact, according to surveys and studies taken, the majority of scientists do not believe in a personal God. Of the National Academy of Sciences, only about 7% believe in a personal God. I think many scientists would realize the inherent contradiction between the objective of their line of work and religious beliefs.

Scientists not only realize how little they know, but they generally exalt in what they don't know (if not mostly because they would be out of a job if we knew everything, lol). It's what drives them to be scientists, to find out what's unknown, make it known and understood, and then doing it again.

I don't know quite what you're trying to get at with those last two sentences, and I don't want to presume a meaning you didn't intend, but it's quite overwhelming possible that a God does not exist, at least the one that takes great interest in human affairs and actively influences them.

Anyway, I do apologize for the length of this post (and my posts in general). But, let me finish this with a quote from Hitchens. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence".

Wrong. My post is precisely about the fact that science can effectively critique religion (I would like to say that it can go the other way, but how can the one side that lacks all the evidence critique the side that does?). You were trying to say that people couldn't apply logical reasoning and scientific process to religion, simply by the fact that it doesn't "count". I'm stating that religion makes claims in areas that are and can be subject to logical and scientific thought.
This is very true. Religion can't really critique the scientific as well as the opposite. Hmmm, I seem to have misinterpreted what you meant by your post. Cool, my bad.

Alright, first off, you have to understand what scientific theory is. You're making the unfortunately common mistake of thinking that scientific theory is just a postulation that has yet to be proved or disproved. It's quite the opposite really. To quote from Wikipedia (because I know how atrociously difficult it can be to look things up):

'In science a theory is a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise verified through empirical observation. For the scientist, "theory" is not in any way an antonym of "fact". For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the general theory of relativity.'

And a quote from the United States National Academy of Sciences (from the very same Wikipedia page):

'Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena.'

In science, nothing is just taken on "faith". Scientists believe what they believe because they've tested that belief rigorously, finding evidence to support whatever it is. If the evidence comes out against it, then they shall find the belief to be inaccurate or untrue, and shall not use it any more.

In fact, the whole point of "faith" is that you believe something in spite of all the evidence against it. In that respect, yes, it seems that scientific thinking does not apply, but not due to any special feature or characteristic of religion or God. It is due to the fact that religious people will simply not listen to the evidence or ignore it as long as it says something they don't like. Would religious apologists be so eager to try and say "science can't apply to religion" if it turned out there was an iota of possibly reliable evidence for a God? I somehow doubt it.

I also take great offense at your use of "unbiased", not because it was done at my expense, but because it so clearly demonstrates that you don't really know what it means. To give an unbiased report would be to present two sides equally, if the evidence supports them equally. Being biased would be taking one particular side for arbitrary reasons, even though the other side has an equal (or pretty close) amount of evidence or truth value to it.

And thus, my point is proved about very intelligent people who are in here, heh.

Hmmm...very intersesting. It's hard not to take sides, so if I appear to be, my apologies. I'm trying to only present both sides, but that is rather difficult.

As for faith...not necessarily. It usually just means that you don't understand everything but you continue to believe, having faith that you will understand in the future. And yea, I see your point with the religious people finding evidence for their God. That would most definitely happen, as all men struggle for power and glory, correct? Or at least, we have a predisposition to do so. Doesn't mean everyone would though, just most people.

However, in this case, it is not true at all that religion holds an equivalent amount of evidence to back it up as with science. In fact, pretty much all the evidence is on the side of scientific inquiry, not surprisingly, since the point of science is to be based upon evidence. The same cannot be said for religion, which goes out of its way to disregard evidence, and then say that it's a good thing called "faith". If someone claims to me that the sky is red, I wouldn't try to suddenly give it equal footing with the idea that the sky is blue in order to appear "unbiased". You don't sacrifice evidence and critical thinking skills so you can be unbiased.

Having an open mind, in my opinion, is being able to listen to, understand, and appreciate all the evidence, even if proves something you don't like (or disproves something that you did). Evidence isn't opinion, by the way, it's fact. If you can't even accept the facts, then there is not way for you to be open minded. But I will give you point that no opinion can ever be completely unbiased. However, that's generally why we try to base our opinions on fact as much as we can, to make it as least biased as possible.
Mmmm, I wouldn't say it goes out of its way to disregard evidence, but there are certain things that make no logical sense. And again, I guess my viewpoints on faith may be a little different than other sects of Christianity, but I don't really think of faith as an excuse to launch evidence out the window. I think that faith is believing in things you cannot see, but things which are hoped for. Which is probably why I don't think that science can effectively critique religion, nor the opposite. Science obviously bases its findings on fact and things you can see, not things you hope for.

And yes, having an open mind is difficult. I do like how you explained why opinions are usually based on facts, though. If I said that evidence is opinion or if I implied it(pretty sure I didn't and I didn't mean to), I apologize. There really is no argument there, because evidence is things that are firm and real.

There are a couple of scientists who claim to be deeply religious, but they're few and far between, and often aren't particularly notable or respected scientists. In fact, according to surveys and studies taken, the majority of scientists do not believe in a personal God. Of the National Academy of Sciences, only about 7% believe in a personal God. I think many scientists would realize the inherent contradiction between the objective of their line of work and religious beliefs.

Scientists not only realize how little they know, but they generally exalt in what they don't know (if not mostly because they would be out of a job if we knew everything, lol). It's what drives them to be scientists, to find out what's unknown, make it known and understood, and then doing it again.

I don't know quite what you're trying to get at with those last two sentences, and I don't want to presume a meaning you didn't intend, but it's quite overwhelming possible that a God does not exist, at least the one that takes great interest in human affairs and actively influences them.

Anyway, I do apologize for the length of this post (and my posts in general). But, let me finish this with a quote from Hitchens. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence".
Hey, don't worry about it. Lengthy posts that aren't full of flame are good to read. Anyways, I agree with the first paragraph, as it does restate what I said earlier. And what I meant by those last two sentences is exactly what I said. If there is a God out there, then he knows everything because he created us, the world, everything. What I meant was he more than likely used science to create all of those things, and if he knows everything then we can't really discredit him, because in the future we may or may not discover ways to do some of the supposed miracles he performed. And the only reason I say that is because the Bible was written LONG before we came this far in technology, otherwise God could be proven false quite easily. I hope that made it a bit clearer.

Mmmm, I haven't been in here for a while, but this is pretty fun, hehe. It's hard to find people that don't argue with spam and flame outside of here, that's for sure.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Well, I'm back, and I apologize for the long delay in any sort of response (or, conversely, I apologize for dredging up a topic everyone else is done or sick of talking about, lol). Anyway, I thank you, Erich, for your reception of my post, and I commend you for trying to be as objective and even-handed as you can be about the argument. Also, sorry if I seemed condescending or short in my response, it was not intended. I was writing it during some small bit of free time I had, so I was sort of rushing through it.

I hate to press the argument, especially since you so considerately acknowledged what I was saying, but there are several things that I wanted to address. First off, I would not say that the Bible's age adds to its credibility. In fact, it really ought to call into suspicion its claims more than anything, considering generally how uneducated and ignorant people were back then. Then also stack upon that the fact that many, if not all the accounts, of the things that happened in the Bible are written years or decades after they actually happened, allowing for distortion and exaggeration or outright incorrect recollections. Then, on top of all that, the fact it underwent several translations (accompanied by lots of mistranslations), various forms of censorship, trimming, and embellishing, all of course adding further to the skewing of whatever the Bible originally was (which probably wasn't all that accurate to begin with). So, by and large, the Bible is hardly an accurate, or genuine account by any definition, whether to being historically accurate, or trying to be logically and scientifically plausible.

As for the bit about a god using science to make everything, if you're admitting that a god would pretty much have to use science in order to result in what we see around us, then you might as well just cut the "god" part out. There's already a perfect good explanation using science that would cause the arising of life and planets as a natural consequence of these very laws. No god needed.

Also, if the supposed "miracles" that were performed were scientifically possible, then why is that we hear about none of them now? The laws of science haven't changed in the past millennia, so if they were scientifically plausible then, they should be now as well. Does it not give rise to some skepticism on your part that all the miracles happened to have happened so long ago, with poor accounts for them and during an era with little knowledge of science, yet now, in the period where science is exponentially better understood and events so much more reliably documented, we hear of no such "miracles", or at least ones that haven't been proven false?

Plus, just as a little add-on, I don't know precisely what sort of god you believe in (funny how something that apparently is so powerful and absolute varies in description and abilities from person to person), but you do know it's impossible for a god to be both omnipotent and omniscient, right? I know you didn't say specifically anything about omnipotence, but you quite clearly seem to believe in his/her/its omniscience.

And, now, to talk about faith. I believe this is where the real debate and issue comes from. I personally find faith to be a pernicious thing, because it essentially means that someone believes in something because they want it to be true, irregardless of whether it actually is true or not. A lot of people have an issue understanding this concept. Just because you want something to be true does not at all make it more likely that it is true. But that's precisely what lots of religious people do, they believe what they want to believe, often flying in the face of all evidence. This debate goes beyond simply flaws in Christianity, and even religion versus atheism. It's a debate between believing in what you want to be true, and what the evidence says is true. This is the basis of many debates, whether its about gods, ghosts, alien abductions, or strange homeopathic medicines (some weird, silly things in there). It's the debate that shows truly where people's intellectual maturity is at (which is not at all a reflection on people's emotional maturity, I should be quick to add).

As you can probably guess, beliefs are powerful things. All human actions performed is based on or affected by what we believe, whether it's the belief that things persist and continue to be whether we're looking at them or not, or whether it's the belief that an alien empire created humankind. People will love, hate, fight, enjoy, kill, and die for their beliefs. The power of beliefs is not a trifling thing, and should be treated and handled with the proper respect and gravitas. Thus, it is of the supreme importance that people's beliefs are based as much as they can be upon accurate and sure ground, not only for the person's happiness and efficacy, but also for everyone else's, since we live in a world were everyone is interconnected, and no action is without consequence.

Now, enter faith. Faith essentially gives people free reign with their beliefs. They can believe pretty much believe whatever they want to believe, simply because they want to believe it (often its not a conscious decision or something the person is necessarily fully aware of). Now, I want you to take in that sentence and realize its full, and possibly terrifying, consequences.

As long as faith is condoned as a reason to formulate your beliefs, people can pretty much make up whatever they believe, as long as they want to believe in it. Such a system for creating beliefs will at the very least be inefficient and annoying, but at its worst, it can dangerous and fatal. With faith, you can easily believe that the moon is inhabited by extra-dimensional beings, or that there's a god who will reward you richly in some afterlife if you kill everyone who does not believe in him. And, as long as we allow some people to believe in somethings with faith, we cannot hold other people accountable for believing other things with faith as well.

Hitler believed that the Jewish people were, without any sure line of logic or proof, the root of all the bad things that were beguiling Germany (and the world). Islamic fundamentalists believe that they're doing the best things for themselves and the people that they kill since its what a god apparently dictated to them. Such beliefs were brought around because they believed in something that they wanted to, on some level, believe was true, irrespective of what reason and science would say is actually the case. Such faith-based beliefs, while it won't necessarily manifest itself in such extreme forms in every person, nonetheless having people who do leaves the door open for such extreme and dangerous beliefs.

The ostensible "Church" of Scientology takes advantage of this very sort of thing. It's clear that the whole premise, even discounting the fact that it was started by a the unscrupulous L. Ron Hubbard, is ridiculous, shown to be false without a shred of truth to it. Yet, they are trying to establish a sense of legitimacy to themselves by trying to become officially recognized as a "religion". Unfortunately, it is also somewhat working because the claims of Scientology in comparison to any other religion is not any more or less factually ridiculous (though the weirdness of it will definitely seem more so since we're so accustomed to Christianity, Judaism and Islam). Since facts, evidence, and logic don't apply or keep these other religions from operating, Scientology just needs to try to claim its a "religion" as well, and then be impervious to such criticisms (and get other benefits as well, such as tax-breaks).

Beliefs, being such a potent aspect of the human psyche, should really be tempered by evidence and accuracy. Not only does it allow for a more realistic, helpful, and efficient world-view, but also seems to lead to a happier, more moral world. I've never heard of anyone being killed due to differing over scientific theory, and if everyone was educated to the point where they recognizing beliefs they hold because they want them to be true from beliefs they hold that are based on evidence, much people would needlessly suffer or die. There is no good scientific backing or logical reason to kill a particular group of people, or to die killing others. Reason and the scientific process is some of the greatest accomplishments of humankind, enabling us to stand so far above all other complex life on Earth. To let it go continuously marred and ignored only holds us all back.

Now, back to doing other things while realizing how obnoxiously long my posts always end up being.

Well, I'm back, and I apologize for the long delay in any sort of response (or, conversely, I apologize for dredging up a topic everyone else is done or sick of talking about, lol). Anyway, I thank you, Erich, for your reception of my post, and I commend you for trying to be as objective and even-handed as you can be about the argument. Also, sorry if I seemed condescending or short in my response, it was not intended. I was writing it during some small bit of free time I had, so I was sort of rushing through it.
It's all good. No worries.:lick: We all have some of those times, eh?

I hate to press the argument, especially since you so considerately acknowledged what I was saying, but there are several things that I wanted to address. First off, I would not say that the Bible's age adds to its credibility. In fact, it really ought to call into suspicion its claims more than anything, considering generally how uneducated and ignorant people were back then. Then also stack upon that the fact that many, if not all the accounts, of the things that happened in the Bible are written years or decades after they actually happened, allowing for distortion and exaggeration or outright incorrect recollections. Then, on top of all that, the fact it underwent several translations (accompanied by lots of mistranslations), various forms of censorship, trimming, and embellishing, all of course adding further to the skewing of whatever the Bible originally was (which probably wasn't all that accurate to begin with). So, by and large, the Bible is hardly an accurate, or genuine account by any definition, whether to being historically accurate, or trying to be logically and scientifically plausible.
Hmmm...you do have a point. That's about the extent of my argument at the moment. I feel tired and very drained, so I really probably shouldn't be responding to someone in a debate right now at all, but...we'll see how this goes. A lot of the stuff I could say I will not say on the public forum though, as is stated later.

As for the bit about a god using science to make everything, if you're admitting that a god would pretty much have to use science in order to result in what we see around us, then you might as well just cut the "god" part out. There's already a perfect good explanation using science that would cause the arising of life and planets as a natural consequence of these very laws. No god needed.

Also, if the supposed "miracles" that were performed were scientifically possible, then why is that we hear about none of them now? The laws of science haven't changed in the past millennia, so if they were scientifically plausible then, they should be now as well. Does it not give rise to some skepticism on your part that all the miracles happened to have happened so long ago, with poor accounts for them and during an era with little knowledge of science, yet now, in the period where science is exponentially better understood and events so much more reliably documented, we hear of no such "miracles", or at least ones that haven't been proven false?

Plus, just as a little add-on, I don't know precisely what sort of god you believe in (funny how something that apparently is so powerful and absolute varies in description and abilities from person to person), but you do know it's impossible for a god to be both omnipotent and omniscient, right? I know you didn't say specifically anything about omnipotence, but you quite clearly seem to believe in his/her/its omniscience.
Mmmm, yes. Sorry for the apparent confusion in your last paragraph. If God is real, and he is omnipotent, then he knows all there is to ever know, right? Well(in regards to the first paragraph), then he can still exist and use things of science that we do not yet know how to do. However, that brings up a good point, because some of those things have no explanation, so the only thing I can say to that now is that he uses science and his supposed power. Hmmm, well that arguments pretty much done, hehe. As for God being human...well...ARGH! I'm sorry, but I'd rather not say all this on an internet forum. I'll just leave it at that. If you want to know what else I was going to say, then PM me.

And, now, to talk about faith. I believe this is where the real debate and issue comes from. I personally find faith to be a pernicious thing, because it essentially means that someone believes in something because they want it to be true, irregardless of whether it actually is true or not. A lot of people have an issue understanding this concept. Just because you want something to be true does not at all make it more likely that it is true. But that's precisely what lots of religious people do, they believe what they want to believe, often flying in the face of all evidence. This debate goes beyond simply flaws in Christianity, and even religion versus atheism. It's a debate between believing in what you want to be true, and what the evidence says is true. This is the basis of many debates, whether its about gods, ghosts, alien abductions, or strange homeopathic medicines (some weird, silly things in there). It's the debate that shows truly where people's intellectual maturity is at (which is not at all a reflection on people's emotional maturity, I should be quick to add).
Interesting definition of faith. It's pretty much correct, but...again, stuff I'd rather not say on an internet forum. Also, I liked your explanation of how a debate works there at the end, because it's very true. It's probably also why almost every time someone tries to defend religion in a debate they get mercilessly PWNED by the scientific people.

As you can probably guess, beliefs are powerful things. All human actions performed is based on or affected by what we believe, whether it's the belief that things persist and continue to be whether we're looking at them or not, or whether it's the belief that an alien empire created humankind. People will love, hate, fight, enjoy, kill, and die for their beliefs. The power of beliefs is not a trifling thing, and should be treated and handled with the proper respect and gravitas. Thus, it is of the supreme importance that people's beliefs are based as much as they can be upon accurate and sure ground, not only for the person's happiness and efficacy, but also for everyone else's, since we live in a world were everyone is interconnected, and no action is without consequence.

Now, enter faith. Faith essentially gives people free reign with their beliefs. They can believe pretty much believe whatever they want to believe, simply because they want to believe it (often its not a conscious decision or something the person is necessarily fully aware of). Now, I want you to take in that sentence and realize its full, and possibly terrifying, consequences.

As long as faith is condoned as a reason to formulate your beliefs, people can pretty much make up whatever they believe, as long as they want to believe in it. Such a system for creating beliefs will at the very least be inefficient and annoying, but at its worst, it can dangerous and fatal. With faith, you can easily believe that the moon is inhabited by extra-dimensional beings, or that there's a god who will reward you richly in some afterlife if you kill everyone who does not believe in him. And, as long as we allow some people to believe in somethings with faith, we cannot hold other people accountable for believing other things with faith as well.
Again, good points. You are using some rather extreme examples though. Most people won't do that, but granted, some will. I suppose I believe a combination of science and faith. I'm religious, yes, but I also believe in science. Again, stuff I'd rather not say on the internet forum. It will just invite more argument with more people than just you, and I'd rather only have an interesting personal debate/viewpoints examination session with one person(who happens to be you, if you didn't know;)) than a flame war with five or ten other people, where nothing is productive and I learn nothing.

Beliefs, being such a potent aspect of the human psyche, should really be tempered by evidence and accuracy. Not only does it allow for a more realistic, helpful, and efficient world-view, but also seems to lead to a happier, more moral world. I've never heard of anyone being killed due to differing over scientific theory, and if everyone was educated to the point where they recognizing beliefs they hold because they want them to be true from beliefs they hold that are based on evidence, much people would needlessly suffer or die. There is no good scientific backing or logical reason to kill a particular group of people, or to die killing others. Reason and the scientific process is some of the greatest accomplishments of humankind, enabling us to stand so far above all other complex life on Earth. To let it go continuously marred and ignored only holds us all back.
Huh. You know, this paragraph kinda sums up how I'm trying to think here. Faith that is tempered...sorta. Kinda.

Anyways, there's a lot I want to say in response, but...well, you know. PM me if you're interested though.:)

Now, back to doing other things while realizing how obnoxiously long my posts always end up being.
Hehe, yea. Sounds like a plan.:laugh:

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Arghs. So many typos that I don't realize is there until after I post it of course.

But, yes, feel free to pm me. I would be happy to hear what you think. I'm sorry that I gave you such a load to read through, and I didn't really mean the faith bit to be directly aimed at you, that was me sort of writing a point for everyone and anyone that read my post (which I'm sure few will be willing to do, lol). I generally tend to do a bit of public grandstanding in my posts, since forums are inherently open public discussions. But, if you ever want to have a more private conversation, then please do.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
George Carlin put it best when it comes to God's job.

"Doesn't give a ****. DOESN'T give a ****."

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Lol, George Carlin is hilarious, I'm not an overly religious person. But when things get bad, I always seem to fall back into religion. It makes me feel okay, like I'm protected. Its weird, but its how I feel. Then when things are going good for me, I tend to fall out of it. I don't know why, I just do. I guess I have some soul searching to do huh lol

Omis

my friends were skinny
Lol, George Carlin is hilarious, I'm not an overly religious person. But when things get bad, I always seem to fall back into religion. It makes me feel okay, like I'm protected. Its weird, but its how I feel. Then when things are going good for me, I tend to fall out of it. I don't know why, I just do. I guess I have some soul searching to do huh lol
See people like this are why I tend to disrespect religions. You are basically saying that when things are going bad it is because it is all in God's master plan but, when things are going well it is by your on toil and work.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
See people like this are why I tend to disrespect religions. You are basically saying that when things are going bad it is because it is all in God's master plan but, when things are going well it is by your on toil and work.
Its weird, but its how a lot of people feel. But I was thinking about just cutting religion out of my life all together.

RDK

Smash Hero
Don't you find it the least bit sad that you resort to self-delusion whenever your life gets too hard to handle?

Don't be a *****. Suck it up like the rest of us.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
From what I've been taught, it actually works that way. When we do bad things and our lives become unhappy, it's because we're all no-good sinners. Yet, when we do something good, we have to owe all of our thanks to God, because he did it. Doesn't sound like the most fair system to me.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Don't you find it the least bit sad that you resort to self-delusion whenever your life gets too hard to handle?

At least he acknowledges the problem and inherent contradiction, and knows he ought to fix it. What would be sad is if he, probably like some other religious people, did it without ever consciously realizing or even actively denying there is an issue.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace

I realize that its a problem that I have to solve, its not like I'm just saying that the right thing to do. I want to change, but when I have been brought up in a religious household. Its not that easy, even though people can point out the things that are wrong with Christianity. Its something that I was brought up believing. But I know that I'm wrong flip flopping between the two. So I will come to a decision that's will change me, and hey. Who knows, I could be like most people who fall out of religion and something truly divine will happen to me for me to start up again.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Religion and gods for that matter are man-made ideas. Ideas to give life meaning.

My favorite argument is "The universe is too much work for nature alone, so there must be a creator."

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I realize that its a problem that I have to solve, its not like I'm just saying that the right thing to do. I want to change, but when I have been brought up in a religious household. Its not that easy, even though people can point out the things that are wrong with Christianity. Its something that I was brought up believing. But I know that I'm wrong flip flopping between the two. So I will come to a decision that's will change me, and hey. Who knows, I could be like most people who fall out of religion and something truly divine will happen to me for me to start up again.
That's one of the worst things about religion, I feel; the indoctrination of children. It is incredibly hard to break free of a particular mindset that has been instilled in you since childhood. How many of the religious population is religious because their parents brought them up to be religious? I'm guessing a large margin, and I think there has been some surveys done that show that. But to indoctrinate a child with bunch of ideas and beliefs before they're able to critically analyze them or truly decide for themselves? A deplorable and sad situation, also a tremendous disrespect to your children's intelligence.

Mewter

Smash Master
My favorite argument is "The universe is too much work for nature alone, so there must be a creator."
What if you turned it around and said, " The universe is too much work for a creator alone, so there must be nature."? After all, nature is natural.

Kids should be brought up to look at the possibilities. I sometimes wonder how priests and public- speaking creationists were brought up. My guess is they were taught things when they were very young so that it has been hammered into their heads. It's like a language. You learn it when you're young, and you never stop to think,"what if there are more than 6 vowels possible. You're absolutely limited to your language, unless you begin to question it. Some people will make stupid remarks such as, "There ARE only 6 vowels!" This can clearly be explained by they themselves being limited by the teaching they had when they were young.
Once, I was watching a video where one guy was speaking against the big bang.He said that he had proof how "stupid" these people on the opposite end were. He made a claim that the book he was quoting said that the universe formed from a spiraling cloud of gas and condensed into millions of galaxies. This, he claimed, was absolutely stupid. Now, a spiraling cloud of gas. What does that sound like to you? It sounds like a protostar to me. I rewinded the video and looked at the page he was quoting. What it actually said was that stars form from clouds of spiraling clouds of gas over millions of years. He misquoted the science textbook and drew the wrong conclusions from it without looking at the whole picture. And what's worse, the audience actually believed him. He had quite a reputation. He said,"This is what your children are being taught in school!". The problem is, it isn't.

This twisted logic that he had can obviously be explained by his upbringing. It kind of makes me sad.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
What if you turned it around and said, " The universe is too much work for a creator alone, so there must be nature."? After all, nature is natural.
But then what started the nature? Something must have started life in the universe. If the point that "Nature was always there" is brought up then that statement proves that God exists. God is an "omnipresent force that was/is/will always be there. If this God is viewed as nature then so be it.

Kids should be brought up to look at the possibilities. I sometimes wonder how priests and public- speaking creationists were brought up. My guess is they were taught things when they were very young so that it has been hammered into their heads. It's like a language. You learn it when you're young, and you never stop to think,"what if there are more than 6 vowels possible. You're absolutely limited to your language, unless you begin to question it. Some people will make stupid remarks such as, "There ARE only 6 vowels!" This can clearly be explained by they themselves being limited by the teaching they had when they were young.
Once, I was watching a video where one guy was speaking against the big bang.He said that he had proof how "stupid" these people on the opposite end were. He made a claim that the book he was quoting said that the universe formed from a spiraling cloud of gas and condensed into millions of galaxies. This, he claimed, was absolutely stupid. Now, a spiraling cloud of gas. What does that sound like to you? It sounds like a protostar to me. I rewinded the video and looked at the page he was quoting. What it actually said was that stars form from clouds of spiraling clouds of gas over millions of years. He misquoted the science textbook and drew the wrong conclusions from it without looking at the whole picture. And what's worse, the audience actually believed him. He had quite a reputation. He said,"This is what your children are being taught in school!". The problem is, it isn't.

This twisted logic that he had can obviously be explained by his upbringing. It kind of makes me sad.
I sort of agree with you on upbringing. It wasn't untill 8th grade/high school that I really began to question what I knew. But truely I don't think that children are ready to discuss these sort of things until that age. It was a hard thing for me to accept that reality as I knew it might be a lie, but children need to have something to believe in until they can handle the truth.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
But then what started the nature? Something must have started life in the universe. If the point that "Nature was always there" is brought up then that statement proves that God exists. God is an "omnipresent force that was/is/will always be there. If this God is viewed as nature then so be it.
http://everythingforever.com/hawking.htm

And just google around for "No Boundary Condition", in reference to Stephen Hawking.

RDK

Smash Hero
I once showed Hawking's No Boundary theory to my high school physics teacher (remember that I attended a conservative Christian high school), and his retort was "Did Hawking himself even believe this garbage?"

Lol.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, please don't tell me you're trying to argue for Christianity with that. I hope that your post is an ironically sarcastic one...

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I can't ignore that possibility of an existing higher power than the whole universe. There might be no evidence that it exists, but then again there is no evidence to prove that it does not exist. If the general idea of a God was from human beings, where did they get that from? Might it be just human nature to believe? I'm talking about the longest way back! Since evolution claims that we first started as prime apes, does this mean modern day monkeys have Gods too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom