• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fallacies in Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDK

Smash Hero
My pastor at my church actually started teaching how Dinosaurs were more of Biblical proof of God rather than Scientifical proof of no God.

..I can't explain it off the top of my tounge, I might have to ask him, but he did mention many texts in the Bible that explain dinosaur - like creatures. He even brought up some information about a dinosaurs bones in the ground buried at the same level human bones were found.
I don't have the sources so I might have to ask him personally some day..
Is this a joke?

This is just another fine example about how pastors should stick to preaching and leave science well enough alone.

Christian philosophy on radiometric dating: "You can tell it's a lie because if you get a bunch of untrained creationists to do it wrong, it obviously means it doesn't work."

Remember that the people who actually make such outrageous claims against evolutionary theory are the same exact people who probably struggled through their high school biology class.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Is this a joke?

This is just another fine example about how pastors should stick to preaching and leave science well enough alone.
So just out of the blue you feel like it'll be nonsense? Impossible?

Aren't we Christians supposed believe in the impossible? Yes. He gave scientific proof and got them from many different sources. Don't just rationalize without thinking.

You haven't even heard what he was preaching. Just a little bit that you probably didn't bother to read through.

I saw the diagram of the bones myself.
Just don't feel like you know everything from two facts statements he made, that I could've screwed up in anyway. I told you, I can get the info. Just basically responding that yes there could be scientific proof of a God.

RDK

Smash Hero
So just out of the blue you feel like it'll be nonsense? Impossible?

Aren't we Christians supposed believe in the impossible? Yes. He gave scientific proof and got them from many different sources. Don't just rationalize without thinking.

You haven't even heard what he was preaching. Just a little bit that you probably didn't bother to read through.

I saw the diagram of the bones myself.
Just don't feel like you know everything from two facts statements he made, that I could've screwed up in anyway. I told you, I can get the info. Just basically responding that yes there could be scientific proof of a God.
I know it's nonsense because I was fed the same kind of crap in my childhood and all throughout high school. I know exactly what he's talking about, and I also know it's false. I've seen all the garbage tactics creationists try to employ. They're outright lies that any competent person with a high school level education in physics and biology could see through.

Oracle

Smash Master
My personal opinion is that you can't prove/disprove religion with science, because not only are those two things completely different, the answer when trying to disprove religion with science will always be "God is powerful enough to do that", which would be possible
assuming god is real

By the same token, I get mad at people who try to prove science with religion.
Did evolution happen? Of course it did. Maybe God started evolution. But ignoring that and saying that everything started as fully evolved animals is ignorant.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Oldest found human remains are 200,000 year old skulls found in Ethiopia.

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2005-02/2005-02-17-voa51.cfm

Youngest known fossil of a dinosaur is about 66 million years old.

http://www.dinosaurpics.net/dinosaur-answers/44

Learn some cool things about dinosaurs!

http://www.dinosaurpics.net/

Edit: At one winged angel,

please read this post I made a little while ago. If you want me to further elaborate as to why religion and science are not completely separate fields, I definitely can.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5769923&postcount=232

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Did evolution happen? Of course it did. Maybe God started evolution. But ignoring that and saying that everything started as fully evolved animals is ignorant.
I liked this bit. You cannot possibly disprove the existence of God with either science...

Or logic. If you do follow the Bible, then "His ways our not our ways." How can we, fallible humans, say that God does not exist because we don't think his choices make sense? If he exists, he is omnipotent. If he is omnipotent, then we cannot hope to understand exactly why he does every single thing he does (being as fallible as we are). He does not conform to our imperfect "logic".

Atheism has been/can be classified as a religion itself. So if we cannot prove without a doubt that God is not real, then it requires at least some amount of faith to believe that God does not exist. This makes Atheism more of a counter-position rather than a negation to Christianity, so the burden of proof is not exclusively on Christianity.
Another frequently demonstrated aspect of a religion is zealotry. People that are extremely passionate about their faith are found among Atheists. These people are of such strong faith (emphasis on faith), they will fight to support it, either with words or fists or guns. The other sides are dead-wrong and a zealot's anger is often invoked when he/she encounters other zealots of different causes. We live in a world where a graduating student's speech was cut off because she mentioned "God" one too many times (some of you may remember this. If not I can find the article), and where people have pushed for the Christmas tree to be called the "Holiday tree". Come on, the Atheists have their zealots as well.
Honestly if you did not have some sort of fervor for Atheistic thought, why would you be trying to convert Christians in the same way we try to convert you?
So, Atheism requires some amount of faith, it can shape the course a person's life, and it has people who support their views and bash at other's with flaming passion. In my opinion, this constitutes a religion.

It's really not possible to go through life not believing in anything. It's only natural for us to believe in something without knowing with 100% certainty (there's very little we do know for certain), and this applies to Atheists and Christians alike.

I'll say more later when I have time. Homework to do =o.

Mewter

Smash Master
I liked this bit. You cannot possibly disprove the existence of God with either science...

Or logic. If you do follow the Bible, then "His ways our not our ways." How can we, fallible humans, say that God does not exist because we don't think his choices make sense? If he exists, he is omnipotent. If he is omnipotent, then we cannot hope to understand exactly why he does every single thing he does (being as fallible as we are). He does not conform to our imperfect "logic".

I accept the possibility that there may be a god out there, but since there is no proof, then there is not much reason to believe. This may be a bit naturalistic, but it works.

Atheism has been/can be classified as a religion itself. So if we cannot prove without a doubt that God is not real, then it requires at least some amount of faith to believe that God does not exist. This makes Atheism more of a counter-position rather than a negation to Christianity, so the burden of proof is not exclusively on Christianity.
Atheism, by definition, is the absolute lack of religion. Religion is placing faith into something or having a large group of people believe something with a set of moral values. I already have said, I do not believe that there is no god. To say so would be just silly and closed-minded. No, you have to be open to the possibilities. Atheists who do not deny the (possible)existence of a god are just as religious as your cat is. The christian god is heavily contradicted by himself and the laws of nature in the Bible, and therefore, there is a very high probability that He does not exist.

Another frequently demonstrated aspect of a religion is zealotry. People that are extremely passionate about their faith are found among Atheists. These people are of such strong faith (emphasis on faith), they will fight to support it, either with words or fists or guns. The other sides are dead-wrong and a zealot's anger is often invoked when he/she encounters other zealots of different causes. We live in a world where a graduating student's speech was cut off because she mentioned "God" one too many times (some of you may remember this. If not I can find the article), and where people have pushed for the Christmas tree to be called the "Holiday tree". Come on, the Atheists have their zealots as well.
Yes, but there are less atheistic zealots than religious ones. WAY less. This is actually very expected, though, as atheists tend to be more open to other religious ideas than religious people.

Honestly if you did not have some sort of fervor for Atheistic thought, why would you be trying to convert Christians in the same way we try to convert you?
So, Atheism requires some amount of faith, it can shape the course a person's life, and it has people who support their views and bash at other's with flaming passion. In my opinion, this constitutes a religion.
Faith:
"Belief that is not based on proof"
Atheists usually side with science, which is chock-full of proof and information, so it therefore can not be called faith. There are, however, different definitions for the word, such as a belief(or confidence) in a person or thing. The second definition is more suitable of a choice when it comes to atheists. Anyways, it's only natural for anyone to dislike other people's beliefs if they think there's something wrong with it. Someone could go to war over the color of shampoo for all I care.

It's really not possible to go through life not believing in anything. It's only natural for us to believe in something without knowing with 100% certainty (there's very little we do know for certain), and this applies to Atheists and Christians alike.

This doesn't really help your argument, unless you're still trying to call atheism a religion. If someone is atheist with no-proof beliefs, then he's not really atheist, but slightly religious; although he would still be classified as an atheist for not siding with a religion.. Simple as that. If the atheist in question doesn't know what they believe, then they're agnostic atheist.
Bottom line: Atheism is not a religion and closing out any possibility without contradicting evidence is close-minded.
That's all for now.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm going back several pages, but my problem with calling myself agnostic is that so many people have a different idea of what it is. Personally, I think there might be some sort of higher power, not an all loving all powerful God, or even a "deity" that'd care about us more then a human would care about ants or his sheep, but I think it's possible that something could be there. However, I also think that if there is, physics will find it. And if physics doesn't then there probably isn't.

Reaver197

Smash Lord

Yes you can, or at least you can disprove any sort of ability of a god to directly enact upon reality. Sure, there might be a god, but in order to conform to the evidence and proof that's building, he's a god that just sits where ever gods sit, with no direct or tangible influence upon the universe, let alone directly intervening in human affairs. However, why bother worshiping or even caring that much about a god like that? Might as well continue on as if he isn't there anyway.

Also, logic is based upon mathematical principles. To claim that logic is "imperfect" is similar to claiming that the laws of the universe are "imperfect" or that doing derivatives is "imperfect". It's an erroneous claim that only reveals how little you know about the subject.

Burden of proof is exclusively upon the religious for several reasons. First off, all the evidence and proof that we do have points to there being no god. In order to void all that evidence, the religious must come up with some evidence of their own, and pretty significant evidence too. Also, if you're in the position of claiming something does exist, it is you that has to provide proof of its existence. You cannot reasonably ask someone of direct evidence of its nonexistence because by the very fact of it not existing, there will be no tangible evidence to find to invalidate it's existence.

If people claim something exists, it's they that has to prove it exists, and it is assumed it does not exist until they have solid, reputable proof. You can't put the burden on everyone else to prove it's not true, and assume it is in the meantime. Just imagine the issues that would be caused by that. Anyone could go around believing anything they wanted at all until someone else found tangible evidence to prove that what they believe couldn't possibly exist. It would be inefficient, dumb, and possibly even quite dangerous depending on what people feel like believing.

Also, atheism isn't a religion. It's the renunciation of religion. There is no "faith" on our part to believe there isn't a god, because all the evidence already points to there being not one. We follow what's already been demonstrably proven. We don't believe in something in spite of evidence or just simply to believe in it. Plus, there's moral reasons to not believe in a god, or rather, simply believe in things by "faith".

Yes, it is true, there can be some atheists who can be particularly aggressive and outspoken against religion, or even any utterance of it. But don't think they do it out of some blind sense of duty or, somehow, "faith", unlike their religious counterparts. There's some very good arguments to be made that religion is probably one of the worst influences on humanity, and is at the heart of some of the worst and most violent political hotspots of our time.

I don't think any atheist would use the word "convert", but there is some imperative to convincing people to start listening to logic, reason, and evidence instead of believing something willy nilly. Religious fundamentalism is an example of the horror that can be unleashed by religious belief in general, with Islamic fundamentalists being the most familiar and heard about ones in our time. Also, in a Gallup poll once done, 44% of Americans believed that Jesus would return and would bring about the end of the world within the next 50 years. I find it troubling that a huge percentage, approaching nearly half the population of the US, does not see it necessary to ensure the long term survival and stability of our country, and world for that matter, because they think it's all going to end anyway.

Believing such things is not only irresponsible and, frankly, not all that intelligent to do, but also puts everyone, not just the believers, at risk or in active danger. No atheist has ever achieved the religious zealotry of believing that blowing yourself up in order to kill as many other people as possible is somehow a good thing. I think it an important, if not urgent, matter to dissuade people from thinking and being able to delude other people into thinking such things.

Once again, you're mistaking confidence in evidence and proof for "faith". That is not the case. And, just to preempt anyone, I am not saying that our evidence and proofs are perfect, they are undoubtedly imperfect or lacking in some respects. But, unlike faith or religion, they are constantly tested and retested to ensure their accurateness and truth value, and are discarded if they fail to.

Obviously, we can't ever know something 100% absolutely, but one side is overwhelming in terms of the evidence it has built up, and the other side lacks any, it does mean that one side is more deserving of thought, attention, and confidence in than the other. Just because we don't know everything does not somehow affirm that there is a god or give one a greater likelihood of existing. Besides, one must find it terribly depressing to have a god that only exists because of ignorance. Such a god is destined to keep shrinking as we keep learning.

Oracle

Smash Master
I'm going back several pages, but my problem with calling myself agnostic is that so many people have a different idea of what it is. Personally, I think there might be some sort of higher power, not an all loving all powerful God, or even a "deity" that'd care about us more then a human would care about ants or his sheep, but I think it's possible that something could be there. However, I also think that if there is, physics will find it. And if physics doesn't then there probably isn't.
Yeah, I'm kind of like that too, but in a christian sense. I believe that God is less of a being, per se, and more of an unlimited force. It's kind of hard to explain.

RDK

Smash Hero
Oh my God, atheism is not a religion. I'm tired of theists and crack-smoking pastors claiming that atheism is just as much a religion as theirs. It's not. Stop saying it is and actually look up the meaning of words.

In fact, try evolution too, since none of you seem to know what it is.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I feel atheism is not a religion, your jsut living life to live. And to comment on the physics thing said back, lets explore on that shall we?

Now there is nothing that completely disproves God, simple. However, there's a lot of stuff that brings doubt, I admit, being Christian. I strongly believe in my faith simply because of what has happened to me, but that is way too personal. Ok lets continue.

First, what if God purposedly made things this way. In the bible it is said he made the Universe in 7 days, which is 168 hours. What if God made Physics, Anatomy, Astronomy, coexisting with science. Because to me, both make sense, and religion is what you make it, hence your BELIEFS.

Next, you guys may think im arguing for God against science, no I am not. Im arguing for God wit science. In this casem it is far from impossible he's blessed us with senses, and a brain for comprehension. In the bible, God says we're not perfect, neither does he expect it. So, you may be able to deny him now, because we can't say for sure. But can you be so against this religion you can't open to the possibilites (not referring to all of you.)?

If God was real, being sensitive to those against him, he would forgive you on the spot. Yes the bible says he'd deny those who denied him, but these were times when they had missionaries and prophets. Now, most of us only experience blessings. Would you seriously deny him then? Debating is persuasion, and im trying to just get people to open up to the idea that it may be plausible. Besides, what do you have to lose? Happiness shouldn't be ignored due to lack of knowledge.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Though this strays from the "you can't prove or disprove anything with science" debate, it deals with religion as a whole.

One of the main reasons I became atheist is because Christianity was not the only choice. In ancient human history, nearly every isolated civilization had its own religion. Some monotheistic, some polytheistic. They all varied an incredible amount.

So what does this tell you? Logically you can assume that not all of them are true (they disagree with each other), and so you know that most of them must be stories. Who created the original story is nearly impossible to know, and why they did it is even more difficult to tell. Maybe they were tripping out on some mushroom they just found, or created the idea of "sin" and "hell" to keep the children behaving.

Why is Christianity so common in Europe and North America, then? Over time, other civilizations died out or were taken over. Eventually, during the height of the Roman empire, the emperor Constantine helped spread Christianity at a drastic rate. An entire empire turned Christian. Even after the fall of the Romans, the religion still spread. That's why we see Christianity in Europe and North America today and not Norse, Greek, and many other religions.

And you have to note that I've just been focusing on Christianity. Hindu, Islam, Buddhism, and other religions that are just as large today in other continents and countries didn't go away, and shows that Christianity didn't completely dominate the world.

Please, if you can debate this logic, I'd love to see it.

Mewter

Smash Master
First, what if God purposedly made things this way. In the bible it is said he made the Universe in 7 days, which is 168 hours. What if God made Physics, Anatomy, Astronomy, coexisting with science. Because to me, both make sense, and religion is what you make it, hence your BELIEFS.
Oops, you said the "Universe" was made in seven days.

First off, one of the problems with the Bible's telling of the beginning of the world is that it says the world (or universe) was made in seven days. This is very basic, but it was in your argument for saying science can explain the Bible and help you argue "For God". Anyways, that's not nearly long enough to be the actual timing/ forming of the earth. It also claims that the world is 6000 years old, but it's not. If god created physics and all of nature, and says that the world was made in seven days, then I don't know why He would have tried to trick us by twisting nature so terribly and extremely to the point where it looks as if the universe is actually billions of years old, instead of thousands. Now, arguing with science for God will get you nowhere. The Christian god's word is the Bible, and science's word is the universe and nature itself.

Secondly, we aren't experiencing "only blessings" Bad things happen all the time, to different people. Also, who says atheists aren't happy in life? And also, lack of knowledge? You don't need to be Christian to be happy. This same argument that you're using is the same one that many Christians use to say that atheists are immoral. However, at the moment, the Bible isn't looking too good, itself. With killings of family, ignoring family just for Jesus, and smiting other people for doing things wrong, it doesn't exactly hold perfect moral standards, either, but more like a book of limits and leashes. By the way, the only scientific things you stated were the actual names of sciences, themselves. Science and religion clash so badly, it's not even funny. Back to the argument of blessings, though.
"Happiness shouldn't be ignored due to lack of knowledge." Sounds like you are stating that atheists are unhappy because of ignorance. It is quite the contrary.
Edit:
And what of other religions? They are all different accounts, and almost all of them claim to be true.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I agree, Mewter. As an atheist, I completely enjoy life. In fact, my entire purpose for living is to enjoy it. I have many christian friends who say things like "Man, I have to go to church tomorrow." Though I'm sure some people enjoy sitting in some large building for hours on end listening to some person reading from a bible (sorry if I don't know exactly what goes on in a church) every Sunday, others don't. They aren't enjoying it, and I don't see them any happier simply knowing that Jesus loves them. Restricted by the thought that doing bad things might send them to hell for all of eternity wouldn't be comforting, either.

I apologize if all of this is wrong. I don't know the psyche of a person that is religious, I'm just making assumptions. I am just saying that I'm not plagued by these things, and instead I try to enjoy life to the fullest.

Hive

Smash Lord
really is it so horrible to believe in god?

so much misquoting science... science doesn't favor theism or atheism, science doesn't favor any reasonable belief system in fact... the ONLY thing science supports is nihilism (really, what else could it be? neouroscience theory and cause/effect nature means that we don't have free will, or a reason to live, or a reason to do right and wrong (since there isn't a right or wrong in ANYTHING since science can't differentiate between actions), or a reason to be happy, or a reason to experience life... it can't even define consciousness...)
It says nothing about god.
if you believe in ANYTHING outside of nihilism, that being happy is meaningful, that being good to people is meaningful, even that your consciousness exists, you are already stepping outside of what is logical, or that can ever be proven by science. So stop saying logic somehow completely supports your arguements, or that its a dumb thing to think of things that can't be proven, because no matter what you believe you are bound to have thoughts that are just as illogical, unless you believe in nihilism which is also pointless to believe in since being correct has no meaning at all if it were the case

Also, religion is based on beliefs and faith in things that can't be proven.... unless you are nihilistic, once again you DO share these principles.
You can't be a cynic of everything... even to dispute things, in the beginning you must also except things w/o cause in order to dispute them.... you will never avoid a complete absence of faith so stop saying u do.

in my eyes at least it doesn't matter as much if you believe in god or not (though i do), it matters more that you believe in empathy....

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
This is very basic, but it was in your argument for saying science can explain the Bible and help you argue "For God". Anyways, that's not nearly long enough to be the actual timing/ forming of the earth. It also claims that the world is 6000 years old, but it's not. If god created physics and all of nature, and says that the world was made in seven days, then I don't know why He would have tried to trick us by twisting nature so terribly and extremely to the point where it looks as if the universe is actually billions of years old

Ah, But it God exists, then he is omnipotent. If he is omnipotent, he doesn't work on a linear time frame. Keep in mind that to an immortal being, time is not so important. It's my guess that he chose to create the world in 6 billion years in 7 days (yeah he can do that) because he wanted a specific time of gathering in his name on the 7th day.

Yes you can, or at least you can disprove any sort of ability of a god to directly enact upon reality. Sure, there might be a god, but in order to conform to the evidence and proof that's building, he's a god that just sits where ever gods sit, with no direct or tangible influence upon the universe, let alone directly intervening in human affairs. However, why bother worshiping or even caring that much about a god like that? Might as well continue on as if he isn't there anyway.

Also, logic is based upon mathematical principles. To claim that logic is "imperfect" is similar to claiming that the laws of the universe are "imperfect" or that doing derivatives is "imperfect". It's an erroneous claim that only reveals how little you know about the subject.

Even if God just sat there, he still created the world. You should thank him for being alive. Also, don't misquote>ad hominem. That approach gets punished too easily. I never said "logic is imperfect". I said our logic is imperfect. God made those mathematical principles you're using. Don't you find it odd that we invented numbers to count things and yet we find parabolas and asymptotes? Calculus anyone? Anyways, God has perfect logic and reasoning and we do not. Therefore, sometimes we really just won't understand why he does certain things.

One of the main reasons I became atheist is because Christianity was not the only choice. In ancient human history, nearly every isolated civilization had its own religion. Some monotheistic, some polytheistic. They all varied an incredible amount.

This works more for God than against God. If, as you claim, every civilization has its own religion, doesn't that imply that all humans have some sort of innate sense of a higher being? Who do you think put that in our heads? You also said:

Why is Christianity so common in Europe and North America, then? Over time, other civilizations died out or were taken over. Eventually, during the height of the Roman empire, the emperor Constantine helped spread Christianity at a drastic rate. An entire empire turned Christian. Even after the fall of the Romans, the religion still spread. That's why we see Christianity in Europe and North America today and not Norse, Greek, and many other religions.
Again this works for us too. If humans have some sort of psychological need to create a God (as I said before, the need was created by God so that we would at least consider him when he showed himself to the world), and only one religion is true, then the true God will ensure that the religion that follows him the closest will survive until judgment day. This argument also would work for Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, etc., but they all have their individual fallacies in my own opinion and that is why I am a Christian.
Oh my God, atheism is not a religion. I'm tired of theists and crack-smoking pastors claiming that atheism is just as much a religion as theirs. It's not. Stop saying it is and actually look up the meaning of words.
Don't "omg" arguments. Perhaps you would agree if I broadened the word "religion" to "philosophy"? Atheism is not a negation to everyone else's beliefs. It's merely a counter-position for the reasons I stated earlier, which you did not even attempt to refute.
Also, religion is based on beliefs and faith in things that can't be proven.... unless you are nihilistic, once again you DO share these principles.
You can't be a cynic of everything... even to dispute things, in the beginning you must also except things w/o cause in order to dispute them.... you will never avoid a complete absence of faith so stop saying u do.
Gj Hive, I second this. Back to what reaver said:

Burden of proof is exclusively upon the religious for several reasons. First off, all the evidence and proof that we do have points to there being no god. In order to void all that evidence, the religious must come up with some evidence of their own, and pretty significant evidence too. Also, if you're in the position of claiming something does exist, it is you that has to provide proof of its existence. You cannot reasonably ask someone of direct evidence of its nonexistence because by the very fact of it not existing, there will be no tangible evidence to find to invalidate it's existence.
You're entire argument is based on the point that Atheists have "evidence" and we do not. The only thing Atheism is truly effective at is attacking Christian's perceived lack of evidence. List the evidence please. Evolution? Galileo, perhaps? There is no link between those things and the nonexistence of God. Evolution and God are not mutually exclusive. Evolution can exist in an intelligent design. Easy. Actually, I find it unlikely that monkeys banging on a type-writer for billions of years will compose millions of masterpieces (or that random mutations will create a huge amount of successful species that are all different, and all require at least one advantageous mutation to differentiate from other species) without some sort of miracle.
Once again, you're mistaking confidence in evidence and proof for "faith". That is not the case. And, just to preempt anyone, I am not saying that our evidence and proofs are perfect, they are undoubtedly imperfect or lacking in some respects. But, unlike faith or religion, they are constantly tested and retested to ensure their accurateness and truth value, and are discarded if they fail to.
This ties into your entire post. If atheists don't have evidence, your arguments are null. And yes, you do have faith. What do you have faith in? You have have faith that your "evidence" can disprove the existence of God, while nonbelievers of Atheism don't see the link.

Almost forgot about this:

I don't think any atheist would use the word "convert", but there is some imperative to convincing people to start listening to logic, reason, and evidence instead of believing something willy nilly. Religious fundamentalism is an example of the horror that can be unleashed by religious belief in general, with Islamic fundamentalists being the most familiar and heard about ones in our time. Also, in a Gallup poll once done, 44% of Americans believed that Jesus would return and would bring about the end of the world within the next 50 years. I find it troubling that a huge percentage, approaching nearly half the population of the US, does not see it necessary to ensure the long term survival and stability of our country, and world for that matter, because they think it's all going to end anyway.
Wait... you have a sense of duty to your belief system? So you do want to "convert".

You talk about the dangers of religion to society. Well I make no move to defend Islam. Go to town on that.
You talk about how terrible we are because of all the bloodshed. You need to know that the "evils" of Christianity were mistakes. The only way to have a perfect church is to remove all the people. Surely you don't expect us to defy our own humanity and achieve perfection? You must have more faith in us than we do! And what of your own Religion/Philosophy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it? Many of the actions of dictators in totalitarian governments are to suppress religious (for lack of a better term) thought. See the Kamere Rouge in Cambodia. Also notice that Hitler replaced the Bibles in churches with Mein Kampf. This leads me to the belief that humans have violent tendencies and in the absence of religion, they would find something else to fight about. Something else they are passionate about and something that probably isn't as important.

More later.
EDIT:
Atheism, by definition, is the absolute lack of religion. Religion is placing faith into something or having a large group of people believe something with a set of moral values. I already have said, I do not believe that there is no god. To say so would be just silly and closed-minded. No, you have to be open to the possibilities. Atheists who do not deny the (possible)existence of a god are just as religious as your cat is. The christian god is heavily contradicted by himself and the laws of nature in the Bible, and therefore, there is a very high probability that He does not exist.
Oh, this is called Agnostic.

Hive

Smash Lord
also, i don't think its too difficult at least in how i think god operates him for him to solve the question of why evil exists in the universe...
Most people already have a bias to this question because they assume that the most meaningful relationship with the world a person can have is by being as happy as possible...
why doesn't god make everyone super happy?

Of course if god did do this good and evil could not exist bc men would lack free will, since good and evil only make sense when there is the option to excercise both and also if the person is given the choice.
If people lack free will good and evil simply can't exist, because accountability would not exist, nor would intention exist, so on....

Let's assume though for a moment that happiness isn't the only meaning of life though...
I'm going to assume that existing matters, that free will matters, and that these are concepts that are universal (you protect others as well)...
If god allows free will this already explains evil bc free will must be random by nature and must have the option to be both good or bad....
meaning a god can still be all-powerful, and still allow evil to happen...

Would this conflict with him being all knowing? The immediate answer seems to be yes, because this would seem to indicate he doesn't know everything right? the future in this case?
However on closer inspection i don't think this is right either....
since free will exists and random particle interactions exist though, that means there can't be a future, simply bc if there were a definite future these things can't be random since their wills in the present must be predetermined to fit future events.... free will can only exist in the present...
This means that their is no definite future... "the future" in this case is just a human concept.... i.e. you are holding god accountable for knowing something that simply does not exist....
in this case then, in order to be all knowing then god would only have to know the past and the present.

personally i believe god sort of lays the rules for meaning, and handles things after we die and this dimensions logic don't make sense anymore... i don't think any of that conflicts then with the question of evil... anyways it seems to make sense to me personally... it allows me to believe there is value in the world and there is more to life... and i like having that...
its a personal opinion really... and i think the things i believe in make more sense that way with a god there...
but still, I believe it makes sense to both believe in god and not to believe in god really... its just a choice for me, but i like having both options be viable...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, dear Lord.

Don't you dare bash Islam, Lord of the Morning. Just because a couple of wealthy and extremist *******s are able to twist the Qu'ran to suit whatever end that they have does not intrinsically make it evil. I could easily say the same thing about the Moral Majority in America, running ruckshot with their money and their big mouths, suggesting cancerous laws like Proposition 8 and their banning of certain books from school. Sure, they may not strap bombs to their chests but they endorse a narrow mindset which, to some of the more intellectually minded in this thread, has the potential to be just as bad in the long run.

In fact, there isn't that much division between the Old Testament of the Bible and some of the stories/fables found in Islam. Even many of their teachings are similar. Ever hear of the Five Pillars? There's Shahadah (basically "thou shalt not have no other Gods before me, Jesus is the Son of God" only insert the names "Allah" and "Mohammed" in the former and latter), Salah (ritual prayer; where have we seen this before? Oh, yes. Grace before your meals, the prayers you say before you go to bed, etc.), Zakat (quintessentially a obligation to charity; sounds a lot like your local church, doesn't it? Oh, look; even the Bible says that you are to help your fellow man!), Sawm (Ramadan may have nothing to do with this, but certain Western Orthodoxies encourage fasting in some prior to, on the day of, or the day after Jesus's birth), and the Hajj (some Catholics may not journey far, sure, but I know some Catholics go to a local river and swim in it. I think it's for Ash Wednesday or maybe it's a Greek thing). Oh, and don't even get me started on their way of punishing people. Read the Bible and you'll find that the methods listed there aren't entirely dissimilar.

From there it's all a matter of simple hubris. Like just about any other Western religion, Muslims firmly believe that they're belief system is the proper one; everybody else (AKA Christians, Catholics, Jews), while kind of on the right track, are still doing it wrong. It sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

Are you going to sit there like the good little Christian boy and tell me that these people should go to Hell just because they happen to disagree with you on how they relate to God?

Smooth Criminal

Hive

Smash Lord
There's some very good arguments to be made that religion is probably one of the worst influences on humanity, and is at the heart of some of the worst and most violent political hotspots of our time.
:(
when a homophobe commits violence...
or someone decides to bomb someone else in an act of "holy war"...
or some weird ritual claims the life of someone...

people like to generalize these things as being the fault of religion in general (or lack of)...
no one focuses on the action itself.... :(
when these things happen its often easy to scapegoat groups of ppl...
but why are these things really wrong???
Don't you think that maybe at the heart of it what really matters is that violence is committed against another being or that someone's life is being taken regardless of what religion or belief system they have?
I think its these actions that ppl should be addressing rather than religion as a whole ^^
trust me lol, there are really f--- dumb ppl on both sides ^^ but these are not indicative of either theism or atheism at their hearts... :D

Mewter

Smash Master

Ah, But it God exists, then he is omnipotent. If he is omnipotent, he doesn't work on a linear time frame. Keep in mind that to an immortal being, time is not so important. It's my guess that he chose to create the world in 6 billion years in 7 days (yeah he can do that) because he wanted a specific time of gathering in his name on the 7th day.
What about the other seven days, though? I suppose life and light were specific to separate "days" than everything else? That would mean light was created first, then the earth, then stars, then water and vegetation, then animals. It claims that the earth was started with water on its surface. Unless you want to go further and interpret the Bible's very loose definitions with "Oh, the water was a metaphor for lava" I've got an interesting hypothesis, though. The universe is about 15 Billion years, and the Earth was created late after creation. However, a non-linear time frame argument is tough to beat, as there's no logical way to disprove it.

Even if God just sat there, he still created the world. You should thank him for being alive. Also, don't misquote>ad hominem. That approach gets punished too easily. I never said "logic is imperfect". I said our logic is imperfect. God made those mathematical principles you're using. Don't you find it odd that we invented numbers to count things and yet we find parabolas and asymptotes? Calculus anyone? Anyways, God has perfect logic and reasoning and we do not. Therefore, sometimes we really just won't understand why he does certain things.
This is why we don't understand quantum physics, because it's so difficult to interpret. Also, does God have to be the Christian god? What if it's another god, on a far off civilization?

This works more for God than against God. If, as you claim, every civilization has its own religion, doesn't that imply that all humans have some sort of innate sense of a higher being? Who do you think put that in our heads? You also said:
That's surprisingly twisted logic. Humans like power, right. They want to also be happy, right? And divine. What better way to do this than invent a god?
Let's put this into a metaphor.
Microsoft and Mac and a million other big corporations are fighting to get more customers. They are the popes and kings. They advertise what they want, and become famous. Children are born learning microsoft is the best, and Voila. You have a huge fraction of microsoft-favoring people.

Again this works for us too. If humans have some sort of psychological need to create a God (as I said before, the need was created by God so that we would at least consider him when he showed himself to the world), and only one religion is true, then the true God will ensure that the religion that follows him the closest will survive until judgment day. This argument also would work for Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, etc., but they all have their individual fallacies in my own opinion and that is why I am a Christian.
The need to use toilet paper when using the restroom was created by God too, I assume?

Don't "omg" arguments. Perhaps you would agree if I broadened the word "religion" to "philosophy"? Atheism is not a negation to everyone else's beliefs. It's merely a counter-position for the reasons I stated earlier, which you did not even attempt to refute.
That's right, because we refuted the religion-atheism argument, and....

Gj Hive, I second this. Back to what reaver said:

You're entire argument is based on the point that Atheists have "evidence" and we do not. The only thing Atheism is truly effective at is attacking Christian's perceived lack of evidence. List the evidence please. Evolution? Galileo, perhaps? There is no link between those things and the nonexistence of God. Evolution and God are not mutually exclusive. Evolution can exist in an intelligent design. Easy. Actually, I find it unlikely that monkeys banging on a type-writer for billions of years will compose millions of masterpieces (or that random mutations will create a huge amount of successful species that are all different, and all require at least one advantageous mutation to differentiate from other species) without some sort of miracle.
But God's book is doing a pretty darn good job of defying God's nature.
Besides, the argument with the typewriter is for infinity. And all your argument is that if something is good, then it is God. And if something doesn't fit the bible, you try to shoehorn the bible into science.

This ties into your entire post. If atheists don't have evidence, your arguments are null. And yes, you do have faith. What do you have faith in? You have have faith that your "evidence" can disprove the existence of God, while nonbelievers of Atheism don't see the link.
We don't have faith that it can disprove God. It has gone against most of the bible, which is God's word.
Fossil record?
Carbon dating?
Stars?
Evolution?
All go against the Bible.

Wait... you have a sense of duty to your belief system? So you do want to "convert".

You talk about the dangers of religion to society. Well I make no move to defend Islam. Go to town on that.
You talk about how terrible we are because of all the bloodshed. You need to know that the "evils" of Christianity were mistakes. The only way to have a perfect church is to remove all the people. Surely you don't expect us to defy our own humanity and achieve perfection? You must have more faith in us than we do! And what of your own Religion/Philosophy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it? Many of the actions of dictators in totalitarian governments are to suppress religious (for lack of a better term) thought. See the Kamere Rouge in Cambodia. Also notice that Hitler replaced the Bibles in churches with Mein Kampf. This leads me to the belief that humans have violent tendencies and in the absence of religion, they would find something else to fight about. Something else they are passionate about and something that probably isn't as important.

We just don't go around flashing pamphlets at your front door and starting arguments. Mainly, I've only seen religious people do that. Atheists(mostly) only do that when someone brings up the point. We state our position. Religion isn't the most important thing, either.
What do you have against science, anyways? It only conflicts with your book? What is it?

EDIT:

Ahh, but only if you don't choose a side. Agnostics aren't sure if they want to be religious or atheistic. Atheists have chosen and sided with no religion. That means it is atheism.

Your argument up to this point is that Christianity isn't a bad/untrue religion and that you can prove it with science.

There's no proof for God using perpendicular time frames to create the world. The original thought of the bible is that it was made in seven days. The former is untestable.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Might as well create this, since it's happening everywhere.

Basically, is the bible self-contradictory, or is it pure and logical? Does it make sense for an all loving and omnipotent God to allow Sin to exist?

I might as well start on the second one (since I don't have a bible with me to look up scriptures), and say no. If God was omnipotent and all loving, he'd have no reason to create existence with the possibility of sin. Even more, if he originally created the world without sin and Satan corrupted it, then God is either not powerful enough to undo the corruption, destroying the first part of the claim, or he just doesn't want to, destroying the second.
I don't think it is as simple to say God shouldn't have created existence with the possibility of sin. That concept is a bit beyond us. What I can say is that the perfect pair he created chose on their own to do bad. The were perfect meaning they were always inclined to do right and never inclined to do wrong. It's when they purposely went against doing what was right that sin because a consequence of their being. When you make claims like the above it's always good to know the big picture. Immediately after their sin God established a means to get things back the way he originally intended in a prophecy in Genesis 3:15. This is the first prophecy in the bible and establishes the theme of the bible. That is God's Kingdom, and what it will do to correct sin etc. So yes he is able to undo the corruption you just don't understand the way that he is going about doing it. God has far more wisdom than any of us and while our solution might be to immediately fix everything as soon as it went wrong with the first two, God saw a reason to let things continue that way, but creating a way in the future to correct things. (whenever that may be) And this prophecy as been unfolding ever since throughout the bible and even up to our time until its grand culmination when things will be corrected.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Everyone has a need to feel love and acceptance. The reason all civilizations have invented their own god/gods was to feel like they had someone to turn to and answer things they couldn't explain. People have been able to exploit this belief by creating religions. The exploitation wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The idea of heaven and hell was able to scare people into following the moral code set by their religion and instill fear of going against the god/s. It also did double duty of explaining what happens after death. Nobody likes to think that their loved ones just cease to exist when they die, its comforting to think that you can see them again someday if you behave well.

Religion is designed to be appealing to people, Christianity claims to have a loving god, that accepts all people. He is all knowing and has the perfect plan for everyone. It doesn't matter if you make mistakes as long as you admit your wrong doing no matter how bad it was. And if bad things happen its because god meant it for good reason. This sounds great. A protective, loving, and forgiving father figure to watch out for you all the time. Everything is always perfect. This idea sounds like it was all created by humans who knew all about propaganda, so they could convert as many people as possible to their cause.

The reason why religion is bad is that people are able to use this to their advantage to manipulate, control and gain power. Announcing you are an atheist in the US is political suicide. Prop 8 was passed because of a massive ad campaign funded by a religious organization. The reason Hitler replaced bibles with Mein Kampf was because if he set himself up as god people wouldn't question him and he would gain power. It has nothing to do with violence in the lack of religion. In fact religion encourages violence. How many people do you think would be willing to blow themselves up for their cause if they thought there was nothing after death? People who are manipulated into believing they will be rewarded after death will be a lot less hesitant to die.

I am really tired of theists complaining about atheists trying to convert them. Theists have been violently preventing the spread of atheism for thousands of years. Science for a long time was beaten down by the church in medieval Europe. If a scientist ever came up with an idea that went against the teaching of the bible he was killed. Even today science is being cut down by religion. Trying to tell people that evolution is wrong despite the piles of evidence. Banning stem cell research that could save so many people. Religion is holding back society. Theists want people to live based on whatever belief system they follow. Doesn't that seem rather selfish? Everyone must believe what I say because I said so. If you disagree you will suffer for all eternity.Where as Atheists want people to live following logic and evidence. Doesn't that seem a little more legitimate way to base our government. Do what I say because it makes sense and is supported by physical evidence or provide me with evidence that says otherwise.

Hive

Smash Lord
Everyone has a need to feel love and acceptance. The reason all civilizations have invented their own god/gods was to feel like they had someone to turn to and answer things they couldn't explain.

The reason why religion is bad is that people are able to use this to their advantage to manipulate, control and gain power. Announcing you are an atheist in the US is political suicide. Prop 8 was passed because of a massive ad campaign funded by a religious organization. The reason Hitler replaced bibles with Mein Kampf was because if he set himself up as god people wouldn't question him and he would gain power. It has nothing to do with violence in the lack of religion. In fact religion encourages violence. How many people do you think would be willing to blow themselves up for their cause if they thought there was nothing after death? People who are manipulated into believing they will be rewarded after death will be a lot less hesitant to die.

I am really tired of theists complaining about atheists trying to convert them. .

your assumption about why religion is invented is wrong btw... I don't turn to religion to explain the world or to receive some sort of pat on the shoulder...
IMO, people turn to religion to have a reason to live, to have a reason to good and bad, and to hope that their lives and having goodwill torwards people will actually mean something.
bc w/o any beliefs there is no right or wrong, no reason to live, or no
reason to do anything really. Its more of a moral dilemma than than a quest for understanding the world...

please... stop blaming theism for violence... there is plenty of violence on both sides of the argument... blaming theism for prop. 8, or terrorism, etc is about as ill-funded as blaming atheism for hitler, or the kkk, or russian religious exterminations or w/e.
The real problems here are homophobia and violence, and these need to be addressed universally regardless of whether you choose to believe in god or not.
I'm bisexual and am theist... so as you can understand prop. 8 pissed me off considerably...
at the same time though I think we need to address homophobia/bigotry as a whole rather than focusing on a specific religion though... because i think while the belief that gay people's lifestyles are less than straight people's is completely idiotic I also don't think these religions need to be totally removed to fix that either... they are perfectly capable of surviving w/o these beliefs. Most already do now...

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Why should we be good? Why are we here? What reason do we have to live are all questions answered by religion and were things I meant to include in my post. I should have been more clear about that.

There is a reason to live without religion. My reason for living is because I enjoy life. I don't have a belief in god and yet I still don't do bad things. I feel bad when I do bad things, I feel good when I do good things. I don't need a book to tell me what is good or bad I can decide for myself.

I can blame religion for violence. For the reasons stated above. Religion is used as an excuse by normally good people to do bad things. No one has ever been killed in the name of no god. But countless numbers of people have been murdered as a direct result of a belief in god. Religious people use religion to justify murder. People murder others because they feel that god wants them to. No atheist can make the justification. Yes, some atheist will do bad things, but none of them can justify it with atheism.

Propaganda for prop 8 was funded by a religious group because they think god doesn't like homosexuals. They raised millions of dollars from their church. How can you not blame religion for it being passed? Yes, there are other factors involved, but the biggest excuse people have to discriminate against gay people is the bible says so.

Theist are trying to put intelligent design into science rooms despite it not being scientific. US test scores in science are considerably lower than other countries that accept evolution. Evolution is the bases for modern biology and theists continue to make up lies and misrepresent evolution because they have to push god into science. This is a direct result of their belief in god. Religion has always tried to hold back science and continues to do it today. No atheist is ever going to try to force faith into science.

This is not to say that religion is inherently evil. Most were probably created with good intentions. However, these religions are so twisted and altered by politics that they have become evil. There are good and bad religious people, just as there are good and bad atheists, but if you follow logic and reasoning you will be much harder to manipulate than those that follow faith. Unquestioned belief in anything is dangerous.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
your assumption about why religion is invented is wrong btw... I don't turn to religion to explain the world or to receive some sort of pat on the shoulder...
IMO, people turn to religion to have a reason to live, to have a reason to good and bad, and to hope that their lives and having goodwill torwards people will actually mean something.
bc w/o any beliefs there is no right or wrong, no reason to live, or no
reason to do anything really. Its more of a moral dilemma than than a quest for understanding the world...
You can get moral. None-religious people can learn to be ethical. It's not hard. Look, ethics is basically minimizing damage and maximizing benefits. We know that murdering would cause a lot of damage without much benefits. That goes for all people, instead of simply Jews as the Bible states. We also know that Stealing is bad as the damage could be jail and the benefits are usually small.
Also, the morals the Bible teach are not always good morals. Disobey God and you die? What? Pray for forgiveness and you shall be forgiven and go to heaven? That's no good. That's like saying sorry can fix all your mistakes. I could also search up the post about morals in that locked religion thread if you want because that had a LOT of good points. =/

please... stop blaming theism for violence... there is plenty of violence on both sides of the argument... blaming theism for prop. 8, or terrorism, etc is about as ill-funded as blaming atheism for hitler, or the kkk, or russian religious exterminations or w/e.
The real problems here are homophobia and violence, and these need to be addressed universally regardless of whether you choose to believe in god or not.
I'm bisexual and am theist... so as you can understand prop. 8 pissed me off considerably...
at the same time though I think we need to address homophobia/bigotry as a whole rather than focusing on a specific religion though... because i think while the belief that gay people's lifestyles are less than straight people's is completely idiotic I also don't think these religions need to be totally removed to fix that either... they are perfectly capable of surviving w/o these beliefs. Most already do now...
Hitler wasn't using atheism as an excuse. He was using theism and economics. Theism like, Jewish people made us have this crappy economy, let's kill them off so their stupid "race" stops making us suffer.
Also, the KKK isn't really atheist per say. They're just Anti-catholic. They don't have to be atheist to take part in the crimes, they can be Protestant and Anti-Catholic too.
Oh, and what's the Russian religious extermination? The one where they killed Jewish people? Hm, I might need to search that up.
On a final note, I agree with the rest of your post. =/

:093:

Aesir

Smash Master
Your qualm is with Fundamentalism then, the thing about Fundimentalism is it isn't isolated to just religious beliefs. Atheist Fundamentals are just as scary and crazy as Christian Fundamentals.

The problem with Religion though is it's easy to perverse into a hate mongering cult, But riding the world of religion won't correct the issue. If Stalin and Hitler proved anything you don't need religion to idolize yourself.

The problem is Human Nature.

Hive

Smash Lord
@BFDD- the difference between you and I is... I'm assuming this:
when you see violence in the name of a religion or bigotry in a religion you assume that belief in that religion is bad and that religion should be removed.
when i see violence in the name of a religion or bigotry in a religion I assume that killing people, and acting against ppls existence/free will is bad and this should be removed.
Theism isn't dependent on these actions at all and I will not generalize them as you do...
Yes, there is probably more violence from ppl in religious institutions than out of...
but in the same respect if a certain race had higher numbers of criminals in it then another race I wouldn't blame that race as a whole either... I'll blame the action. Generalizations are crap. The real causes of violence are violent people. period.

@aeghur- the problem for me though isn't necessarily between theism and atheism... its more between nihilism and believing in empathy....
personally i believe you need something outside of just the natural world to account for morality...
but then again even if a persons view on empathy is illogical in my opinion, what matters to me is that they have it. Afterall, like I said before... all beliefs are illogical to some point, no matter what you believe.

In my opinion though i don't think values really do just exist by themselves...
afterall if we just took the natural world for example why would minimizing damage be bad? What is the difference between someone being good or someone being bad if bad actions aren't punished?
You say murdering is bad, yes, but why is it bad in your philosophy? You need to be able to define why existence is a meaningful thing to have or that even minimalizing damage is a good thing to have.
You assume the need to do these things just arises out of nowhere... but there is no reason to strive to exist or to assume being good or bad, or even to be happy in this sense of the universe because not living, being bad and such is an equally valid way to be meaningful... and there is absolutely no universal reason why people would have to strive to do such.

and according to bfdd apparently if someone kills another person and it feels good to them than that is acceptable as well in the same way...

Reaver197

Smash Lord

No, you cannot just claim that by the mere possibility that a god exists, he therefore is automatically omnipotent. Where is the actual evidence or proof that if there was a god, he is omnipotent? You cannot just claim things to make it convenient for yourself to explain away the improbability of a god existing in the first place.

There is hardly any evidence that a god created the world at all. In fact, rather, the Earth was formed by purely natural processes, about which you can read a brief summary here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Earth

And here is an article about the discovery of the youngest protoplanet we've found.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402153613.htm

Not only does the geological evidence on Earth itself support such a view of how planets are formed, we actually have observable evidence of the very process.

Also, you're using the term "ad hominem" incorrectly. An ad hominem would be me attacking or insulting you personally as a way to counter your argument rather than actually trying to take what you said and analyzing and critiquing that.

An example would be, say, me saying "You're stupid, and you use yellow text, therefore your argument is stupid and I don't have to listen to what you say".

Anyway, back to the argument, yes you did say that, in a sense, logic is imperfect. There isn't an individualized logic that works for one person, but not another. Logic is impersonal and universal. Either it's logical, or it's not. Saying that "well, your logic doesn't apply to a god, another kind of logic does" clearly demonstrates you don't understand this. However, you can have technically correct logic applied to things, but it turn out to be wrong because you had incorrect information to base it upon. But, with respect to basing logical propositions on scientific theory, considering how often and rigorously tested they are, that won't really be the case. It's when religious people try to use logic to prove the existence of god that proves faulty, as the information they base it upon is either false or malformed.

I don't get what point you're trying to make in reference to counting, parabolas, and asymptotes. They're part of mathematics, they were always there, regardless of whether we had realized they were there or not. That doesn't at all mean that somehow there was a god.

The issue with what you're arguing is that just because human's have always invented gods or religious like rituals does not mean at all that it's true. People were naturally inclined to believe the Earth was flat for a long time until evidence and mathematics proved otherwise. The initial belief and, due to our perspective of the world, inclination to it does not make it at all anymore true. Also, if humans are so "imperfect" with our understanding, why would the belief in a god be given a free pass as to being true and perfectly understandable?

Also, surely you must realize this, but the varying beliefs in what particular gods and how they operated and what they did, even the number of them, should make it clear that there is no innate drive to envision one particular version of a god. Also, the fact that there were religions that existed far earlier than Christianity, even Judaism, should give pause to you, as why would a god (or gods) let the earliest people worship the wrong gods?

Clearly, it should dawn on you, that to choose any particular religion as "true" is an arbitrary decision, and not at all backed by any sort of evidence, historical fact, or anything that could be construed as objective.

Atheism is not just effective against Christianity's lack of evidence for their god, but every other religion, just to let you know. However, it's such a case by case thing, as every religion asserts different things about their god (or gods), that all atheists can do is wait for someone to make a claim, see whether the evidence supports it or not, and then either support that position if it does align with the evidence or critique it and shut it down if it does not. And, since, it just happens, that we are mostly Americans, and most Americans are Christian, it would be natural for theological debates to mostly revolve around Christianity and its assertions. And, please, don't bandy about phrases like "perceived lack of evidence" for your position when you haven't done one iota to present a single piece of evidence for your side. Granted, it will be difficult, if not impossible to, since there really isn't any.

As for evolution, before Darwin the largest and most potent reason for believing in the existence of a god was the fact that there wasn't any alternative theory as to how complex life arose. Religious people seized upon this and widely asserted that a god had to exist because, at the time, there was no other conceivable way for complex life to have come about (though, philosophers at the time did note that not having an explanation did not automatically mean that a god exists, but since they didn't have any good alternatives to suggest anyway, they did not press the argument). Darwin, with evolution and natural selection, finally came up with a completely natural explanation for how complex life came about that directly voided the claims of the religious. Evolution does not inherently rule out a god (though in consideration with all the other evidence and scientific theories, it does), but the religious themselves set themselves up for evolution to void a huge reason to believe in god. Now, as part of their ever capricious position, the religious try to incorporate evolution as part of their pseudoscience theory of intelligent design.

If you would like evidence for evolution, you can easily google for a ton of well-verified evidence. Here's even one that I found, if you can't spend the time searching.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/07/10/flatfish-evolution.html

As for intelligent design, it's simply a covering for creationism, only now bending to the overwhelming evidence for evolution. However, there is no evidence to prove that there is any sort of "intelligent", purposeful design behind life. In fact, life is full of what is called suboptimal designs that indicate an evolution that is blind, natural, and has no intended "design". Here is such a case, with a comparison between the eyes of a human and the eyes of a squid.

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/11/denton_vs_squid.html

You also, like many others, have a misunderstanding of what evolution is. It is not a random process. It is a constant, steady, nonrandom process guided by natural selection. Natural selection, at it's most basic and simplified view, is simply that of either an organism has a sufficiently well-adapted set of attributes and behaviors, largely determined by their DNA, to survive in their environment and reproduce, or that it is not well-adapted and does not survive to pass on its less successful genes. In a larger context, this means that natural selection is constantly selecting for genes and attributes that work well at surviving the environment the organisms find themselves in. Though mutations can help improve an organisms survival, by and large, most mutations will actually detract from an organisms ability to survive, but occasionally, a mutation will help it survive better than its compatriots, and might come to dominate the gene pool. However, no mutation will ever lead to the spontaneous creation of a new species. Rather, it's a slow build up, over millions of years, consisting of some small mutations, recombinations of existing genes, and different environmental factors on the selection of what genes are most beneficial to an organism's survival (as the environment is never constant and is always changing) that will result in an organism that's different enough from the "parent" organism to define as a new species. There is no mutations that occur willy nilly, randomly resulting in new species. It's a carefully controlled and defined process.

More later.
EDIT:

I don't have "faith" in evidence because it is what it is. Take gravity, it doesn't take "faith" to believe it's there and will continuously affect objects. To see a rock and see that it contains silicon does not take "faith". These are impartial, objective observations of the world that happens and occurs regardless of how much I want it to happen or not, or how much I want to believe in it or not. The proof is self-evident. If my enthusiasm for the evidence wanes, it does not at all affect how true it still is, unlike religious faith. It is merely a by product of these observations and proofs that it invalidates the claims of the religious that a god exists. That is why I am an atheist. I follow the evidence and proof, which, as a by product result, makes me an atheist. If the evidence was such that it provided proof for a god, I would as ardently argue for his/her/it's existence as hard as I am now arguing against it. That's something you would never hear a religious person say, as they would never consider the other side or the possibility that they are wrong, especially since they try so hard to be as amorphous as possible with their definition of god, as to always leave some slight possibility that he does exist. It amazes me in how uninterested they are in being accurate or truthful about something as rather to always ensuring, even in the slightest terms, they could plausibly be right.

Yes, I have a sense of duty to it, only in the sense that we all have a sense of duty to try to do what is best for humanity, and minimize the amount of suffering and injustice that is done in the world.

I am aware that no human can ever be perfect, nor that we can ever be completely away with violence and tragedy. However, despite that, we can radically decrease the amount of suffering and unnecessary violence and discord that is totally within the reasonable boundaries of human capability. We just need to educate people to be smarter, think more critically, and demand evidence for a claim before believing it. That's not all that difficult to do, it's just some people resist so mightily to doing it. In fact, without religion, we can come to see our humanity more clearly and accurately, without unnecessary divisions, and further see how wrong it is to inflict harm upon someone, no matter how different they are from us.

As for the totalitarian dictators that you mentioned, they too are a result of believing things without regard to evidence, just in a sociopolitical form rather than a religious form. In the case of communists, they believed, with no evidence and despite all the evidence to the contrary, that they could create a society where everyone was absolutely equal (a practical impossibility), and brooked no dissension to their beliefs, following them through with what approaches a religious zeal. In fact, totalitarian dictators often, whether deliberately or simply to please their egos, built up a cult of personality about themselves that is very similar to the type of following religious figures try to build up around themselves. They also went out of their way to indoctrinate and brainwash children into believing exactly what they wanted them to believe instead of bringing them up to be responsible and critical thinkers, questioning everything, just like a lot of religious families. Totalitarian dictatorships simply tried to suppress anything that would question their values or beliefs, religious or otherwise. The intellectuals suffered greatly under Khmer Rouge, as did homosexuals, something that religious people, especially fundamentalists, seem to share an affinity for doing. Rather, all you're doing is providing even more of a reason to follow only what the evidence dictates, as we can end up not only with violent religions, but with violent totalitarian governments as well, often whipped up in a religious like fervor.

The same goes with Hitler, he believed in the hardly verifiable belief that by killing all the Jews, he would solve Germany's problems. Once again, if only people were more rational, critical thinkers, they would obviously see that such a belief is wholly unsubstantiated and wouldn't do an ounce of help to actually improving German society. But, once again, you see what happens when people believe what they want to believe rather than what is actually true. As for Hitler's religious beliefs, it's hard to tell. He did say this in a speech at Berlin in 1933.

We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out.
And he did say this to his adjutant, General Gerhard Engel.

I shall remain a Catholic for ever.
He also said this in Mein Kampf.

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.
However, he also said things like this.

The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.
So, as to what Hitler himself believed about religion, I have no idea. The most possible thing apparent, though, is that he cynically used religion to manipulate not only the people of Germany, but also the world at large, most famously the Catholic Church. Pope Pius XII refused to stand against the Nazis, and the Archbishop of Munich, Cardinal Michael Faulhaber said this after Hitler escaped an assassination attempt in Munich in November 1939.

Thank Divine Providence in the name of the archdiocese for the Fuhrer's fortunate escape.
Yeah, seems like the religious people did a great job at stopping the immoral horror and evil that Hitler committed.

Also, here's an example of Hitler building up a religious, cult of personality about himself. His chief of the united trade unions said this.

Adolf Hitler! We are united with you alone! We want to renew our vow in this hour: On this earth we believe only in Adolf Hitler. We believe that National Socialism is the sole saving faith for out people. We believe that there is a Lord God in heaven, who created us, who leads us, who directs us and who blesses us visibly. And we believe that this Lord God sent Adolf Hitler to us, so that Germany might become a foundation for all eternity.
Regardless of Hitler's personal belief in religion, it is clear that religion only exacerbated and helped Hitler's plan rather than hinder it or bring any sort of morality to it. Rather, it brought a sense of righteousness to his beliefs. This only goes to show that maybe a lot of the evil Hitler had done might've been lessened, or not even had been at all, if it were not for religion.

Also, agnosticism is position someone takes when they feel that there is not enough evidence to support one side over the other, so they abstain from making one, presumably until there is enough evidence for one side. To give an example, I'm agnostic about the possibility of life on other planets, since there isn't any evidence to support that idea that we are the only planet in the universe with life over the idea that other planets also have life on them. I also explained, probably in another thread, as to why agnosticism about religion just doesn't work, namely because there is enough evidence to make a decision.

:(
when a homophobe commits violence...
or someone decides to bomb someone else in an act of "holy war"...
or some weird ritual claims the life of someone...

people like to generalize these things as being the fault of religion in general (or lack of)...
no one focuses on the action itself.... :(
when these things happen its often easy to scapegoat groups of ppl...
but why are these things really wrong???
Don't you think that maybe at the heart of it what really matters is that violence is committed against another being or that someone's life is being taken regardless of what religion or belief system they have?
I think its these actions that ppl should be addressing rather than religion as a whole ^^
trust me lol, there are really f--- dumb ppl on both sides ^^ but these are not indicative of either theism or atheism at their hearts... :D
Normally, yes, I would agree with you that it's a bad thing to generalize and scapegoat a group of people for the actions of a few, but the issue is that what enables a suicide bomber to blow himself up, believing all the while it is a good thing, is what the whole of religion panders to. It's the fact that you can believe in something irregardless of what the proof or evidence actually says about how true it is. Religion is a form of the immature process of believing something to be true because you want it to be true, but not actually caring how true it is.

As in your case with a homophobe committing violence, would he still commit that act of violence if he actually had realistic and rational beliefs about homosexuals? Would there still be suicide bombers if they realized that it's highly, highly improbable that a god even exists, let alone one that would approve of what they're doing?

The issue with religion I have is that, by virtue of religions being such an old and traditional part of human history, is that it somehow grants legitimacy to such thinking and belief habits. If people actually tried to have realistic, rational beliefs, you would find that it's significantly harder to rationalize the physical harming or outright killing of another person than opposed to someone with religious beliefs, or whatever other misinformed, ignorant beliefs people have thought up.

So, that is truly the heart of the issue, is allowing people to believe in things that they feel gives them the right or the reason to inflict violence on others. The violence would largely not be there if they did not have such a belief system.

D

Deleted member

Lol, I love how 99% of the posts deal with debunking Christianity and it seems to go down okay..and then all of a sudden someone mentions Islam and they're all like, "woah woah woah, HOW DARE YOU bash Islam"

RDK

Smash Hero
I have no problem with Islam-bashing.

What I do have a problem with is creationist fundie-tards bashing Islam, because, let's face it, the two are essentially the same.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Lol, I love how 99% of the posts deal with debunking Christianity and it seems to go down okay..and then all of a sudden someone mentions Islam and they're all like, "woah woah woah, HOW DARE YOU bash Islam"
Yeah its hypocritical. I bash all three Old Testament based religions.

What I do have a problem with is creationist fundie-tards bashing Islam, because, let's face it, the two are essentially the same.
Its fine to bash Islam but what you have to remember is Islam went away from its roots a long time ago that were based on science, which is why there was the Islamic Golden Age. However, an important official said a few hundred years later that Islam had got too advanced and so he essentially made it the fundamentalist group you see now.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
@aeghur- the problem for me though isn't necessarily between theism and atheism... its more between nihilism and believing in empathy....
personally i believe you need something outside of just the natural world to account for morality...
but then again even if a persons view on empathy is illogical in my opinion, what matters to me is that they have it. Afterall, like I said before... all beliefs are illogical to some point, no matter what you believe.
Lol@nihilism. it's basically anarchy right? Yeah, anarchy is a whole big paradox lol. Okay, to me, it's not about believing in Empathy or going more toward nihilism. Empathy won't cease to exist because we're atheists; empathy is part of human nature. Nihilism won't exist either because the whole point is to not have a government or go against a government. Of course, if you don't have a government, you don't have a government to go against. Anyways, blah, nihilism/anarchy=one big paradox.

In my opinion though i don't think values really do just exist by themselves...
afterall if we just took the natural world for example why would minimizing damage be bad?
Um, Minimizing damage isn't bad. =/
Values exist by themselves for the sake of efficiency and for human nature.
Without values, one will be deemed as inhumane and be cast out of the social "norm." In fact, they will be hated by those even already out of the social norm. So, basically, they're cast out by society as they're deemed inhumane, vicious, and dangerous. Since humans seek companionship, they would rather learn the values and fit in than be cast out. Now, does that mean all values are the same? No. Does that mean everyone has these values? Nope. =/ All it means is right now, human nature will give us these values due to them being a part of our nurture, be it coming from your parents, your religion if you have one, or where ever else they teach you these values.
Now, as for the sake of efficiency, it's inefficient to throw away your values/values in general. If you threw away value in general, you wouldn't have money. You wouldn't get paid, you wouldn't trade, etc etc etc. Values are what you use to trade. I'm talking like, money value here.
For the values like morals, they're efficient because you need them to keep a society together. Again, humans long for companionship. Can we form this society without values? Well, no. Can we keep a society together if everyone keeps bickering about who stole what and who killed whom? Nope. Values come in here because they allow us to keep a society together much more efficiently.

What is the difference between someone being good or someone being bad if bad actions aren't punished?
But bad actions are punished. I mean, unless you don't consider being secluded or cast out from a society punishment. I mean, even if it isn't because of jail, people doing bad things will be looked down upon as they endanger our society, which humans thrive to keep. Again, this brings it back to human nature which strives for companionship and society helps us do that.

You say murdering is bad, yes, but why is it bad in your philosophy? You need to be able to define why existence is a meaningful thing to have or that even minimalizing damage is a good thing to have.
Murdering is bad because it's a waste of energy. It's inefficient. You can get all the resources/meats and stuff from a dead human as you can from say, a cow. Why would you want to kill someone who can fight back for meat when you can just kill an animal sitting right there? Also, you put more energy into raising a human being than a cow, well, at least that's what I assume. So, by killing a human being, your wasting more energy than killing a cow for the same means of survival. It's not ethical to simply waste energy like that.

You assume the need to do these things just arises out of nowhere... but there is no reason to strive to exist or to assume being good or bad, or even to be happy in this sense of the universe because not living, being bad and such is an equally valid way to be meaningful... and there is absolutely no universal reason why people would have to strive to do such.

and according to bfdd apparently if someone kills another person and it feels good to them than that is acceptable as well in the same way...
Um, a little hard to understand this part. Can you clarify please?
Well, I think people strive to be good and not bad because of the simple ideal of ethics, efficiency, and our social natures as human beings. We're selfish too, so since these methods of being "good" makes it much easier to achieve our goal of being with others, we take it upon them to become part of our values.

Well, those are my ideals, in the best way I can explain them. xD

:093:

Hive

Smash Lord
@ aerghur - i know empathy doesn't cease to exist bc you are atheists ^^ and i don't mind if someone is either atheist or theist as long as they care for others is what i meant...
the arguments I'm putting out there in that last post are sort of my reasons why i think (personally) empathy doesn't logically exist in atheism if that makes sense ^^

hmm to clarify... well let me ask you a few questions to see your outtake on this, is that ok?
your saying values/empathy exist bc of the need to fit in, be happy, and bc of social norms, did i get that right?

-ok say the government kidnaps a person and murders them for political reasons, is this bad? The reason I ask this is because, let's assume the government does not get punished, it does not make them sadder or anything, and the person is basically taken against his will w/o incident, and nobody knows what happened...
If what your saying is correct this would still be ok, right? it didn't break any socail norms, the person who did it is not outcasted or denied companionship, and is not the less happy for it?

-ok say we're back in the 1600s and slavery is still around. Slavery in this case is still socially acceptable. Is what the slaver doing bad if what your saying is true? The slaver isn't punished, is not less happy, and still maintains companionship, is not secluded from society.
Conversely say a civil rights protester in georgia is put in jail for organizing a protest. He is punished by the biased laws there, and while in jail is deprived companionship. Would this now make his action bad?

-lastly say a crime is committed (murder) but the person who committed it is never found/punished, and maintains a relatively normal life afterwards. Does this make it ok?

we all know what the answers to these questions should be of course...we all share these answers, which is why i picked these questions.... however how are they supported by your beliefs is what I'm trying to focus on? and what has been confusing me i suppose...

edit: also, i'm not against atheism in general... I'm just showing some of the things you believe are pretty illogical, and I'm OK with that...I don't think any religion/belief system can escape that.... but some of you fail to realize this as well...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

This. But I'm a little less heavy-handed when it comes to someone's faith. If they want to believe in the Pie in the Sky, then they are entitled to do so. Just don't shove it down my throat or down the throat of anybody else.

Smooth Criminal

mc4

Smash Journeyman
As for evolution, before Darwin the largest and most potent reason for believing in the existence of a god was the fact that there wasn't any alternative theory as to how complex life arose. Religious people seized upon this and widely asserted that a god had to exist because, at the time, there was no other conceivable way for complex life to have come about (though, philosophers at the time did note that not having an explanation did not automatically mean that a god exists, but since they didn't have any good alternatives to suggest anyway, they did not press the argument). Darwin, with evolution and natural selection, finally came up with a completely natural explanation for how complex life came about that directly voided the claims of the religious. Evolution does not inherently rule out a god (though in consideration with all the other evidence and scientific theories, it does), but the religious themselves set themselves up for evolution to void a huge reason to believe in god. Now, as part of their ever capricious position, the religious try to incorporate evolution as part of their pseudoscience theory of intelligent design.
If you say you follow the evidence then you might be interested in looking more into physics. For starters take thermodynamics. The first law shows that basically you can't create something from nothing. If you believe in the big bang (i actually for the most part believe that the big bang was a quite possible explanation for the birth of the universe, I however don't think it came about on it's own) The process of how the big bang happened is cake compared to trying to explain where the initial singularity came from. It didn't create itself and obviously wasn't always in existence. Your argument is against faith, but it would take faith for you to believe that it came about by itself because it is impossible to prove. No particle accelerator can prove how the initial singularity came about, just what happened the first few moments after it exploded and began to expand. Second law is of entropy. Scientists are amazed with how organized the universe is and yet everything has a tendency to disorder. If you leave a car by itself it will break down, same with a building, and all other matter here on earth. Yet the universe remains amazingly organized and self sustaining.

Next take the forces that govern our universe. Gravity is perfectly proportionally weaker than the electromagnetic force to sustain the universe. The electromagnetic force is 10 to the 40th (a ten with forty zero's after it) stronger than gravity. If gravity were proportionally weaker by ten,( a ten with 41 zero's after it) gravity would be weaker in stars and the pressure of gravity wouldn't be high enough for nuclear fusion and stars wouldn't shine. If the strong nuclear force were merely 2 percent weaker then hydrogen would not exist our universe is roughly 70 percent hydrogen... And if the strong force were stronger then only heavier elements would exist. With no hydrogen we have no food or water (not to mention stars lacking the fuel needed to supply us with much needed energy here on earth. The weak force plays a role in supernova's and without supernovas we would lack the heavier elements necessary for planetary formation. Without these essentials you don't have a universe to create "single celled organisms" that magically adapt to environments and magically become more complex. I believe that is a fundamental for evolution, and yet physics clearly doesn't agree.

To believe in evolution you need faith just as a person who believes in God needs faith. Microevolution is possible and irrefutable and has been proven and is proven by the human body every day. However Macro evolution, the change of an entire species to another etc, has not been proven. In order to believe what hasn't been proven you need a measure of faith. To believe that an initial singularity magically appeared out of no where (which is impossible to prove because it is against physics to create energy or destroy it) requires faith, evolution is indeed a religion and is taught as dogmatically as any other religion.

RDK

Smash Hero
If you say you follow the evidence then you might be interested in looking more into physics. For starters take thermodynamics. The first law shows that basically you can't create something from nothing. If you believe in the big bang (i actually for the most part believe that the big bang was a quite possible explanation for the birth of the universe, I however don't think it came about on it's own) The process of how the big bang happened is cake compared to trying to explain where the initial singularity came from. It didn't create itself and obviously wasn't always in existence. Your argument is against faith, but it would take faith for you to believe that it came about by itself because it is impossible to prove. No particle accelerator can prove how the initial singularity came about, just what happened the first few moments after it exploded and began to expand. Second law is of entropy. Scientists are amazed with how organized the universe is and yet everything has a tendency to disorder. If you leave a car by itself it will break down, same with a building, and all other matter here on earth. Yet the universe remains amazingly organized and self sustaining.

Next take the forces that govern our universe. Gravity is perfectly proportionally weaker than the electromagnetic force to sustain the universe. The electromagnetic force is 10 to the 40th (a ten with forty zero's after it) stronger than gravity. If gravity were proportionally weaker by ten,( a ten with 41 zero's after it) gravity would be weaker in stars and the pressure of gravity wouldn't be high enough for nuclear fusion and stars wouldn't shine. If the strong nuclear force were merely 2 percent weaker then hydrogen would not exist our universe is roughly 70 percent hydrogen... And if the strong force were stronger then only heavier elements would exist. With no hydrogen we have no food or water (not to mention stars lacking the fuel needed to supply us with much needed energy here on earth. The weak force plays a role in supernova's and without supernovas we would lack the heavier elements necessary for planetary formation. Without these essentials you don't have a universe to create "single celled organisms" that magically adapt to environments and magically become more complex. I believe that is a fundamental for evolution, and yet physics clearly doesn't agree.

To believe in evolution you need faith just as a person who believes in God needs faith. Microevolution is possible and irrefutable and has been proven and is proven by the human body every day. However Macro evolution, the change of an entire species to another etc, has not been proven. In order to believe what hasn't been proven you need a measure of faith. To believe that an initial singularity magically appeared out of no where (which is impossible to prove because it is against physics to create energy or destroy it) requires faith, evolution is indeed a religion and is taught as dogmatically as any other religion.
This is a fine example of someone who can't even see past their own bull****.

Thank you for demonstrating that you know absolutely nothing about either physics or evolutionary biology. I think it's safe to say that I've literally forgotton more about these fields of science than you could ever hope to know, judging from your wanton ability to copy and paste random **** from Answers in Genitals.

As for the creationist lie about how evolution somehow disrupts the LoTD--it's complete and utter poppycock. There's a trillion times more entropy flux available in the universe than necessary for evolution. Yay for struggling through Physics 101.

And has it ever crossed your feeble little mind that creation is a direct violation of the first law? Try, try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom