• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcons current metagame - in detail

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
dsmash. when sheild is small

EDIT: of course, other moves that shield poke such as tilts, then get in close and charge a dsmash, just gotta keep your shield pressure on. i only have one of which i saved the replay, the other is saved, but its on someone's wii+hacked so...

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
1. this never happens. thats safe to say. unless you are marth and use shield breaker at the correct moment. but falcon =/= marth.
Also unless you're Peach and you get a Mr. Saturn out and your opponent doesn't know that Saturn has shield-breaker properties.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
lol =/
I wish I could somehow put everything I know into words to help out lol.
I do well in alot of matchups but sadly, I suck when it comes to putting it all into words >_> lol
I should really, really get some more videos up.....maybe then I could sum it all up.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
on pika and Bowser's dsmash, SDI. I was surprised that wasn't in there, but it seems like common sense.

TKD

Smash Lord
Not dead last.
Falcon is much better than Ganondorf. He's also better than Puff, and he's the only bottom tier character that's even against Snake, which may make CF better than Link, but Link seems better overall according to other match-ups.

Add approaches!
Falcon's approach game has to rely on things that other characters can do, but as long as he doesn't get edgehogged, his stocks last longer than most character's.

I found his short-hop airdodge or fast-fall airdodge approach works very well. You airdodge into the opponent and either jab, grab, or spotdodge. If you think they'll shield, grab. If you think they won't, jab. If you may get grabbed, spotdodge.

Throwing:
I recommend to perform uthrow since it sends people up, and Falcon has a safe approach (uair or bait) against people above him. If you can grab release people into something else, that's nice too.

Some tips vs MK:
- Airdodge approach ftw
- No repeated jab cancels (they SDI/Shuttle Loop out easily), jab into grab and jab combo (when they're too far for grab) is good enough
- Grab release into Nair
- I think smashes suck
- Save bair for KOs. Good vs light chars, the closer to the side boundaries the better
- If they make it to very high %, it's easy to land upB on them for a KO (like vs any other char, but for Snake it's like 200)

Random tip:
- If they're overconfident, you may be able to edgehog Drill Rush. If they move towards the stage, you can release the ledge, airjump into them and perform Fair. I don't play Falcon, but if Fair can send backwards like in Melee, more power to you. If not, it's good damage anyway, or a KO at very high %

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Against the pimp prince of Altea:

If you space like an idiot you are guaranteed to get ***** by the tip of his sword.

You'll see him WoPing with f-airs as a defensive approach since its so versatile and not that punishable in this match up.

Every once and a while you might want to break into his untippered zone and send him up. Then use U-air once under him.

He's crap when he's above you.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Please refrain from posting (old) joke videos in a serious thread next time.
Thank you.
Well sorry for not knowing it was old.
Why so touchy? It was just a joke.

ps Does CF have a jab lock and does FK meteor smash?
If it does then you could possibly set up a meteor smash of some kind that also allows you to reach the ground. Since FSmash has little start up you could possibly FSmash at the end of it.
IDK really, just a thought.
Also, since raptor boost meteor smash's you might be able to use that some how.

I think there is potential, it just needs looking into.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
If it does then you could possibly set up a meteor smash of some kind that also allows you to reach the ground. Since FSmash has little start up you could possibly FSmash at the end of it.

Captain Falcon does not have a jab lock, and his Falcon Kick does not spike in any way.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Captain Falcon does not have a jab lock, and his Falcon Kick does not spike in any way.
Well sorry for not knowing it was old.
Why so touchy? It was just a joke.

Part wrong, part right.

Falcon can 'jab lock' (tilt lock more) with Ftilt until a certain percent. (please refer to face124's thread about falcons Ftilt lock for more detailed information.

Falcons Uair and Bair have 'jab lock properties, too.

And falcons down b does not knock the opponent downwards.

And Fsmash has quite a bunch of starting frames.

And even if Falcon kick could meteor smash, the ending lag of an aerial falcon kick would destroy the chance of a follow up.

And an aerial raptor boost that hits the enemy sends the opponent downward, yes, but falcon upward+quite some ending lag. This makes it impossible to combo with.

And spam is spam. So so was your joke.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I dunno if this is the right place to post this but....

New Team AT for Captain Falcon!

Lightning Lockdown > Original Post w/video: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8104088#post8104088

Mr. Falcon appears towards the end of the vid. I know it's VERY situational, but hey... its a 'lil something that is metagame-ish for Falcon. They say its the little bricks at a time that makes the big house. Plus, the move is quite epic. We can't place the knee quite yet in this AT so you guys could later contribute some amazing footage.

CREDITS:
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK (me, writing this)
Arc-TheFallen- (TL main and seconds Samus *one in vid*... owns the Youtube Account)
Takushin (Fox/Marth in Friendlies)
WERK! (Samus main, For inspiration that made this discovery possible)
Ramen (Lucario)
Raven (MK)

The Pikachu Smash World Community, for supporting me and other 'chus.

...and Captain Falcon, of course. lol

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Do any of you use grounded Falcon Dives? OoS, after Dash Attacks, for anti-air, or anything else, besides recovering?

I've done some pretty neat stuff by adding it to my ground game, as well as using it for my anti-air game. It's much faster than a full hop, and covers a little more distance, plus the super armor frames you get, if you manage the grab.

As I was told, by someone who experienced it first-hand, it was surprising them, everytime I did it.

So, is this move something that should be used in Falcon's ground game, yay or nay? If so, how often would you go about using it?

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
FHN-> Up B = success
jab -> Up B = success
Well, yeah to those, but do you use it without any combo starters? Meaning, do you use it just to throw your opponent for a loop?

Of course the free-fall state occurs after use, but Falcon's free-fall state is pretty mobile, and you can avoid hits, depending on how you maneuver.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I always use up+b on the stage.
Up+B OoS, throw -> up + b, when they're above you in general.... 17% damage is too good to not waste.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i play marf

no up b is fast enough for me

my marth is **** in melee, i ds oos and everything

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Falcon dive Oos is too slow for me
It is, plus no invincibility frames.

Combo: Uair - Dash Attack - UpB
The UpB after the Dash Attack is more guaranteed if they are popped up, which results from them not teching or something.

Remember: UpB = Anti-Air > Uair

Player-3

Smash Hero
why the **** would you up b after a dash attack
seriously

they di away and boom

free punishment

or
they press the l button
boom
even easier punishment

sacred you used to say things that were smart

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
why the **** would you up b after a dash attack
seriously

they di away and boom

free punishment

or
they press the l button
boom
even easier punishment

sacred you used to say things that were smart
I still do! These just don't compute with you.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I'll just hold my opinions on techs to myself, and when I get vids, whether they are on or offline I'll post'em.

Vids>Text

M15t3R E

Smash Master
This thread is called Falcon's CURRENT Metagame.

If I were you guys, I'd be discussing how epicly awesome the good ol' Cap'n is in Brawl+. He is back to his former glory, fyi. :)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Irony.

10char
lol.

Ayaz 10 months ago: you guys suck, figure something out to suck less, which I can't. I **** MK's.

Ayaz 8 months ago: Knee you suck. I **** MKs.

Ayaz 6 months ago: I **** MK's.

Ayaz 4 months ago: Imma stop playing competitive brawl as I'm not as good as I thought I was.

Ayaz 2 months ago: Hey guys I play melee again. U guys suck.

Ayaz now: lol knee you suck so bad. I love melee but melee doesnt love me *pout*

People now: Ayaz. Please stay away, you were never really anyone to begin with.

Irony

10 char :bee:

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
For all of you that believe Falcon can't speed hog, he can. I remember reading here a while ago that his speed made him unable to sweet spot the ledge and instead just fast fall below the stage. For the longest time I believed this to be true until I tried to see if I could find alternative ways to speed hog. The main one I tried was run off fastfall immediate reverse Raptor Boost, which was working. I was like "sweet! now I can't be a **** like everyone else!" One time though, I noticed I didn't RB and still did it. So I practiced and practiced till I eventually found out that Falcon can speed hog, you just have to go through the motion (slam down->roll thumb towards stage) about twice as fast as the rest of the cast.

The more you know.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
As much as I like Brawl+, this isn't a Brawl+ board. Brawl+ Falcon goes, and stays in the Brawl+ Character boards.
Brawl+ character boards? Do you mean in the Smash Workshop? Well I believe every character board should discuss their character in both Brawl+ and BBrawl. Don't you agree?

Top Bottom