• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcons current metagame - in detail

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
No. I am telling them the term ida is moot, unless talking about a dash attack after a standstill. And when will that come up..ever..

and P-3. gtfout of my thread. I dont have to explain anything to you.
Take your moot slang elsewhere.

and lol@'your' board..
so far from the truth..it hurts.:(
What's a moot? I have NEVER heard that word before. And darx originally came up with the term iDA (i think, at least in this thread)

Guys lets not act like we are 40 year old virgins. :ohwell:

Player-3

Smash Hero
No. I am telling them the term ida is moot, unless talking about a dash attack after a standstill. And when will that come up..ever..

and P-3. gtfout of my thread. I dont have to explain anything to you.
Take your moot slang elsewhere.

and lol@'your' board..
so far from the truth..it hurts.:(
anger issues i sorry knee <3

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Oh god.
Ok, lets just ignore mean things. >_<
I thought buffering = SHAD + button input b4 you hit ground = buffer? Correct if I'm wrong.
I'll try out this iDA 2moro since I'm not at home right now nor will I be until saturday. (tourney 2moro, yee)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
'my' is meaning that i post here, and since the internet is everyone it can technically be considered mine.

i thought you were smart but not your arguing semantics with a troll... i have lost all respect for you.
Im sorry but it DOES NOT matter if its an iDA or a "buffered dash attack" but since you can iDA in more places than you can buffer it, its an iDA not a buffered dash attack since it achieves the same goal and does the same thing.
You are part of the cancer that is destroying us
lol, this is too good.

you call yourself a troll and call me 'the cancer that destroys us' XD

This thread is what saves you guys bro;)
I havent seen you contributing much..but yeah, you are a troll afterall (in your defence..or is it..)

and why would I care about your respect..your respect isnt worth **** to me..

Because you can use it in more places it is always called that? whats that, woman logic? lol
and you also say its the same thing, wich I said/implied in the first post I posted about the 'ida'.

lol what crawled up your butt, bro?
now please get out of my thread. As you are 'part of the cancer that destroys yourself', and 'your' board.

Player-3

Smash Hero
lol, this is too good.

you call yourself a troll and call me 'the cancer that destroys us' XD

This thread is what saves you guys bro;)
I havent seen you contributing much..but yeah, you are a troll afterall (in your defence..or is it..)

and why would I care about your respect..your respect isnt worth **** to me..

Because you can use it in more places it is always called that? whats that, woman logic? lol
and you also say its the same thing, wich I said/implied in the first post I posted about the 'ida'.

lol what crawled up your butt, bro?
now please get out of my thread. As you are 'part of the cancer that destroys yourself', and 'your' board.
Kay <3

10chars

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
guys. i rly have to go. and no comp = sad skip + friend who is makin me give back his laptop :( so much for being productive and learning something (talking to myself since nobody answers me)

Player-3

Smash Hero
guys. i rly have to go. and no comp = sad skip + friend who is makin me give back his laptop :( so much for being productive and learning something (talking to myself since nobody answers me)
its technically a buffered dash attack but its also an instant dash attack..

arguing semantics is FUN!

Zeallyx

its technically a buffered dash attack but its also an instant dash attack..

arguing semantics is FUN!
Yes it is..

you are aware of the fact you first said/implied something else, correct?

Zeallyx

You mean a buffered dash attack.. :p
No, its an instant dash attack.
That 'No' implied a buffered dash attack and an ida are two completely different things.
And thats something I never said. I just posted that what darx said could have been said differently. (by replacing ida with buffered dash attack.)

Then you imply they are two completely different things, and then you come with a point saying 'one can be used in more places so its always called that.'

Made No sense, kind sir.

Player-3

Smash Hero
That 'No' implied a buffered dash attack and an ida are two completely different things.
And thats something I never said. I just posted that what darx said could have been said differently. (by replacing ida with buffered dash attack.)

Then you imply they are two completely different things, and then you come with a point saying 'one can be used in more places so its always called that.'

Made No sense, kind sir.
Oh please, i thought youve read my posts by now mr monroe
No as is "Lol u silly narb its an ida because that what anyone else would call it even though its the same thing"
you didnt get that?

Zeallyx

Oh please, i thought youve read my posts by now mr monroe
No as is "Lol u silly narb its an ida because that what anyone else would call it even though its the same thing"
you didnt get that?
You implied something else..

and ive never hear anyone I know call that an ida..

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You implied something else..

and ive never hear anyone I know call that an ida..
I have, I'm the one who introduced it to a thread here yesterday. P3 probably knew it annyways.

Its called iDA(instant dash attack) because it is and instant dash attack. You wanna add the term 'buffer' in there? Call it what you like.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Links, Ganons, and even Sonics have been using iDA / IDA for instant dash attack, and really, what you call it doesn't matter lol.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
You might want to be more detailed, or even completely remove, the part on Falco's reflector.

Falco's metagame has quickly evolved away from the reflector. People barely use it anymore in general, and we're even less likely to use it against someone like Falcon.

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
You might want to be more detailed, or even completely remove, the part on Falco's reflector.

Falco's metagame has quickly evolved away from the reflector. People barely use it anymore in general, and we're even less likely to use it against someone like Falcon.
Agreed, Sethlon is in my crew. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen it.

Zeallyx

My apologies. I'll remove that now.

actionblackbird

Smash Journeyman
I would like to add that Reverse Falcon punch can be use at the right timming.
However, it wold only work against space animal's side B and Ike's foward B when recovering the stage. However, Reverse Falcon punch work when your opponent tries to come to the stage, again, it TAKES alot of timing and WHEN to fire it.
I think it also works on Sonic when predicting their Spring> down air. I wonder if the down air negate a sweet spoted knee?

But anyways, yes Reverse Falcon punch somewhat works against recoveries...

Zeallyx

I would like to add that Reverse Falcon punch can be use at the right timming.
However, it wold only work against space animal's side B and Ike's foward B when recovering the stage. However, Reverse Falcon punch work when your opponent tries to come to the stage, again, it TAKES alot of timing and WHEN to fire it.
I think it also works on Sonic when predicting their Spring> down air. I wonder if the down air negate a sweet spoted knee?

But anyways, yes Reverse Falcon punch somewhat works against recoveries...
A move that requires prediction should not be used. Its that simple.
There is always a better option present than falcon punch. (As in more safe and/or still effective for the purpose you strife for: getting your opponents stock off.).

And falcon punch is way too easily punished. Therefore, too risky, as it requires prediction to land.

Falcon punch is for friendly matches.

Zeallyx

There goes half of the Sonic metagame, lol.
yes and no.
No such move nest to the falcon punch (and warlock punch) require prediction.
'half of sonics metagame' can be used for mindgames/punishing etc.

The falcon punch cannot be used for mindgames nor for punishing. (punishing only if you can predict the opponent, as in, push neutral b before the opponents action you wish to punish with a falcon punch.).

But yes, sonic isn't high tier for a reason though;)

Player-3

Smash Hero
yes and no.

The falcon punch cannot be used for mindgames nor for punishing. (punishing only if you can predict the opponent, as in, push neutral b before the opponents action you wish to punish with a falcon punch.).

Counter says hai

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
yes and no.

if you want we can debate this in a calm manner, all i have to say is that
the falcon punch CAN be used for mindgames...

edit:
There is always a better option present than falcon punch. (As in more safe and/or still effective for the purpose you strife for: getting your opponents stock off.).

And falcon punch is way too easily punished. Therefore, too risky, as it requires prediction to land.

1.most moves require prediction
2.although it's punishable it pays off when it lands
3.ss falcon punched someone in a tourney

Player-3

Smash Hero

edit:

ive falcon punched around 7 people in tourny matches

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Actually, I'm pretty sure there're a bunch of moves that require prediction in Brawl, and many of them land more often than you'd think. I hear players like Kirk regularly land Ike's Fsmash, Anther regularly sweetspots Thunder, and I've seen more than my fair share of good Snakes landing his Fsmash on good players through use of Pivots, airdodge prediction and landing frame abuse, recovery prediction, tech chases, and overall being awesome.

Either way, it's a way to kill below 40%. Why not throw it out once in awhile? Also, a fun fact. On Pokemon Stadium, during one of the transformations (I believe it's the rock one or the grass one), there's a point near the edge where I believe if you try to roll somewhere, you'll get stuck in a little groove. I've gotten some cool Falcon punches by baiting people into that groove, but I guess it's not much to rely on. It's a start at least.

Also, Falcon Punches I'd imagine land more regularly on that guy who comes to tournaments with headphones on. I've gotten punched way too many times by CPU Metal Falcons because I didn't hear the scream. :<

C.box

Smash Journeyman

edit:

jab > falcon punch was way too good.

Zeallyx

Yeah, @all the people defending falcon punch:

..The fact is there are safer options, thus better options present at all times. And yes, prediction is a part of brawl, but alot of those moves who need prediction/mindgames can be used for punishing without having to start said move before the opponent starts the move you want to punish with said move.

And player-3, no, counter can be activated after the opponents move starts. Not with all moves, but with alot of moves.

Falcon punch is that bad. In theory and in practice. falcon punching 7 people in a tourny? You shouldnt even attempt falcon punches in tourny. ever.

Yes, a falcon punch 'pays off when it lands', and this is what makes you guys blind it seems. As it will not land in a tournament setting. It wont. It is soooooo easy to avoid with infinite airdodges, DI, faster attacks etc.

In short: You will not land a falcon punch in a tournament setting. Nor should you ever rely on it, or even attempt it.

and in a way falcon punch can punish, but only moves who start after you start the falcon punch, wich requires the opponent to screw up, so cannot be used as a pro falcon arguement in a matchup discussion, it doesnt help falcon, it just wont work etc. etc.

And if it does work, (IF), you were ******* lucky, and should thank god. twice.
And then yell at him for putting the stupid idea of attempting a falcon punch in a tourny match into your brain.

I dont even understand how one can even think of defending the falcon punch..

Let me put it this way:
MK's will sooner Dsmash than Fsmash. Because Fsmash has some lag, they'll choose moves with little/less lag.

For falcon these moves are Bair, Uair, Nair, jab etc.
The best falcon is the most safe falcon. The least punishable falcon. The falcon with the least openings. And falcon already sucks when you only use quick(er) moves.
One should never. Ever. use a falcon punch in a tourny match.

Like I said, falcon punches are for friendly matches.

Top Bottom