• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lol really? i think fox is easier to win with than falco. he is so gey.
how so..? falco has so many auto kill combos, not to mention his dair spike is so easy especially against low %'s where they can't tech or do anything

i don't really know any consistent auto kill combos with fox like that, fox just seems like highly adaptable to each character in his own way, his combos are also lots of techskill. i'd say it's harder to combo a heavy with fox rather than it is falco.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
waveshine upsmash and uthrow uair seem pretty garunteed to me.
lolyeee.

And Shine is almost as easy to hit off stage and not as risky to use as dair.
And its a lot harder to tech (assuming you are a character able to)

edit: ok the shine thing is character dependent. its obviously going to be harder to shine a marth out of his up b then dairing him out of it.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
waveshine upsmash and uthrow uair seem pretty garunteed to me.
how are those guranteed auto-kill combos? i'm talking about a combo from 0-death(or close).what you're talking about is basically an auto-kill move, something you'd do to finish them off, and thats not even guranteed since shine-usmash/u-throw upair only work on certain characters.

shine may be easier but yeah definitely more character dependent, where as dair ***** basically everyone off stage.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
its easier for fox to kill at high percentages than it is for falco.

its easier for falco to get them to kill percentage than it is for fox.

there are absolutely no guaranteed death combos in smash due to di and platforms, and the various defensive tools available.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
depends how you define death combo. I mean, whenever you do a death combo, you have to consider every way they could've done their smash DI and DI differently and if you could've covered all of those options *shrug* too many defensive possibilities.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Regardless of DI though, some characters have combos that'll work. Ive always been under the impression that even with perfect DI falcon can get a 3 hit aerial combo on you, at the right percent at least, same thing with marths tipped fair, even with perfect di, he's guaranteed a second hit no? The right percent has to be taken into account, but since some moves will link into a second hit no matter what, if the situation is right, IE percents and stage position, i'd say that's solid enough evidence for an "auto kill combo"

sometimes grab combos too, ganon can downthrow downb falco at 116% for a kill. and fsamsh sheik out of a downthrow for a kill.

also on yoshis story, ganon can dair -> warlock punch or utilt on spacies at the right percent (gotta edge cancel on a platform) as long as you pick the right direction, left or right, they arent going to live.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
right, but I think what he means by death combo is 0 -> death combo. I mean, of course if Falco pops you up with a dair and then dair spikes you at 100%, you're dead. Sheik dthrows Peach at 100%, that ***** gettin' uaired off the top. Falco stomps you at 80%, knee, you're dead.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
ah i gotcha. Well it's true nothing's guaranteed, but escaping said 0->death combo isn't necessarily guaranteed either. For every "defensive maneuver" there's an offensive counter maneuver, and vise versa. YIN AND YANG, so philosophical

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I have mixed feelings about Melee's potential for mainstream spectator appeal. I think a lot of the flashy/amazing stuff isn't that impressive to people who don't know what's going on. It's way harder to follow for more casual spectators, and the game isn't as suitable for commentary as SC is.

On the other hand, it was always exciting to me when I started watching videos.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I think it's actually pretty good for spectating and commentating as a fighting game, largely because Matches last a few minutes rather than 20-30 seconds. But w/e, the simple fact of that matter is that it will never be in the limelight at this point because it's an old game.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I have mixed feelings about Melee's potential for mainstream spectator appeal. I think a lot of the flashy/amazing stuff isn't that impressive to people who don't know what's going on. It's way harder to follow for more casual spectators, and the game isn't as suitable for commentary as SC is.

On the other hand, it was always exciting to me when I started watching videos.
I think the flashy/amazing stuff is what gets everyone into the game lol, don't you?

i definitely would say this game is easy enough to follow visually compared to something like..MvC2 lol.

in melee, the spectator could tell when a combo was happening easily, and that's fun to watch. mixed with the speed, i'd say it's more fun to watch than most Fighter's in all these pro events, but that's obviously biased as ****.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah to be honest, competitive smash (particularly accompanied by like, Wife/Omnigamer commentary) is really easy and fun to watch as a casual player. Maybe not someone who knows ZERO about what's going on, but a casual player. Which is pretty much how starcraft is...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
by death combos im talking fox shine wavedash usmash on peach/falcon/link level "Death combos." Not 0 to death combos.

things that REGARDLESS of DI, will always, without fail, work.

Falco doesn't have any when characters end up at high percentages and has to rely on getting a lucky hard hit.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i don't believe that falco players have to rely on getting a lucky hard hit for a kill, that just doesn't sound right at a professional level.

placing a bair correctly or landing a dair into a tech-read f or d-smash isn't what i consider lucky either

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
"getting lucky" isn't the correct term, but that's how it feels to me. At that percentage, you're forced to wait for them to make a mistake.

sure falco has the ability to "create" openings, but that's generally what they're looking for, and will punish the smallest of mistakes whilst you're fishing for a KO.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
c'mon guys everyone put on a thinking cap to figure out how we can "get at the kids." Put melee into the limelight and expose all those virgin smashers and brawl players to the awesome might that is Melee.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
c'mon guys everyone put on a thinking cap to figure out how we can "get at the kids." Put melee into the limelight and expose all those virgin smashers and brawl players to the awesome might that is Melee.

omg... I know what we can do to make melee popular!!

We are going to need a lot of attractive women willing to play smash topless.

X1-12

Smash Champion
when you do retreating nair on a sheild should you do the nair straight away?
should you fastfall it?
what should you do after (assuming they grab and miss), just f-smash as soon as you land?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
when you do retreating nair on a sheild should you do the nair straight away?
should you fastfall it?
what should you do after (assuming they grab and miss), just f-smash as soon as you land?
a good series of questions.
i'd say you have to do the nair immediately. I dont see how its possible to sh, start di'ing backward and have the nair even hit the shield at all. so yes to the first one.

yes fast fall, theres no reason not to in this case.

depends. if they are at high percent then yea fsmash. but you could also try to sh shine->combo or anything really.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
supposing you were very confident and your opponent were at low %, would you have time after the dair shine retreating nair to punish a whiffed grab by running up and shining?

X1-12

Smash Champion
a good series of questions.
i'd say you have to do the nair immediately. I dont see how its possible to sh, start di'ing backward and have the nair even hit the shield at all. so yes to the first one. .
I was talking about hitting with literally the very tip of the nair late, so they think you missed an L cancel or something and grab, I assume you would say just making sure you are 100% sure you are out of range instead?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
it's really close and I don't feel comfy about that timing before their shield comes back up. I think grab is a better mixup there tbh.
hm. yeah i wouldnt feel comfortable about it either. someone should test it to see if the window exists/how tight it is, cause that would sometimes be preferable to an fsmash.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
every day play 3 2 minute matchs vs. level 1 bowser with a 0.5 damage ratio and your handicap set at 1 and practice shffling aerials on him. Focus on improving your shffling speed, check your # of aerials after each match and work on getting a personal high score.

once you finish that, **** around vs. random CPU opponents (I like them around level 4 or 5, gives them some interesting DI at times) trying to learn how your hits will send them at various %s and figuring out how to possibly follow up.

then just play people a lot and shoot a lot of lasers until you feel like lasers are becoming a crutch, then stop shooting lasers for a week or two, then after your break to re-learn how to do not lasers, re-learn how to shoot lasers.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
practice. you get the laser out later by a combination of starting it later and fast falling early, just mess around until you get it and then practice until it's natural.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
to hit real low i dont normally time the fast fall till the laser is about to come out. I cant really describe the exact timing, you gotta play with it. And also the timing of the laser, wait till you're just about to get to the top of the short hop before you hit b.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I don't have a video recorded...but how the **** do you beat noob marths that pretty much spam smash and grabs? Im pretty noob myself but this marth hardly ever plays, I know how to shl and combo and it feels humiliating to lose, lol. He just somehow beats my approach and gimps me :(

Top Bottom