• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i know but i mean when someone misses a tech and i accedentally laser reset and im too far away to punish lol

victoriouS

Smash Rookie
These are my continuous main issues with my falco gameplay via Melee.

1. Still, pillaring. Now that I know how to actually pillar, and i KNOW how to do it, I just cannot get it to work, even with countless hours a practice. My main problem is that once I get the shine off, I cannot cancel it with a jump, idk if im pressing it TOO fast or too late. No idea. Plus, executing the shine itself is hard for me, what I usually do is SHL>Jump>Dair>Shine.. that about 40% of the time works, the other 60% what usually happens is A. My problem above with the shine cancel B. I cannot shorthop the dair, well I can but hard to get it off.

2. Lasers, I'm good with placing them, REALLY good actually (imo).. just getting the shorthop off is a problem, I get it off eh.. 95% of the time, sometimes i just totally f up!

3. Again, wavedashing. Any practice tips with it? I can wavedash, but not consistently, like I know how to do it and I can, I just can't do it on the spot or I don't know when it is the right time to use it.

any help would be great!

*edit*: forgot.. uptilting, my fingers just CANNOT do it, I get too hyped up in the moment and I try to push to control-stick halfway up but it just does an upsmash, any tips?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
why is that any worse than not laser resetting them
well when they miss the tech and then got laser reset, they now get up faster than i can reach them and can shield, wavedash, attack etc

but if they missed the tech and werent reset, they could either be left to roll one of two ways, or stand (which would have been slower than being reset)

all of which options i could cover and mindgame into followups but accidental resets from habitual laser spam gets me once in a while :laugh:

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)

1. Still, pillaring. Now that I know how to actually pillar, and i KNOW how to do it, I just cannot get it to work, even with countless hours a practice. My main problem is that once I get the shine off, I cannot cancel it with a jump, idk if im pressing it TOO fast or too late. No idea. Plus, executing the shine itself is hard for me, what I usually do is SHL>Jump>Dair>Shine.. that about 40% of the time works, the other 60% what usually happens is A. My problem above with the shine cancel B. I cannot shorthop the dair, well I can but hard to get it off.

2. Lasers, I'm good with placing them, REALLY good actually (imo).. just getting the shorthop off is a problem, I get it off eh.. 95% of the time, sometimes i just totally f up!

3. Again, wavedashing. Any practice tips with it? I can wavedash, but not consistently, like I know how to do it and I can, I just can't do it on the spot or I don't know when it is the right time to use it.

any help would be great!

*edit*: forgot.. uptilting, my fingers just CANNOT do it, I get too hyped up in the moment and I try to push to control-stick halfway up but it just does an upsmash, any tips?
Sadly 98% of everything here just requires more practice, nothing else.

1. For pillaring, it's most likely your not jumping fast enough if you can repeatedly shffl dair -> shine -> repeat. Try starting in shine and then sh dairing, just to give yourself a different take on it. If you use X you have to be pretty fast (not as bad as Fox though) why you can afford to be a little slower.

2. Practice :/, even the best mess up in matches occasionally.

3. Practice :/, Falco has some legit combos against level 1 fox/falco via shffl dair -> shine, waveshine -> dash -> shffl dair to give you some ideas of when to wavedash. Typically other than waveshining or wavelanding Falco usually moves with SHL or RSHL rather than wavedashing.

4. Uptilts again are just practice and getting your muscle memory down, just practice doing dair/nair to uptilt and try it a lot in matches until you have it down.

No Shortcuts! Practice!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

any help would be great!
My advice is playing more. I can't give you much advice but I've learned alot in a short time. Listen to the pro players they know their ****. If you have nobody to train with then for now I'd say play against level 1 or 2 CPU's just to get comfortable playing advanced. Then play against lvl 5's. They will provide reasonable resistance for Falco without Blocking every single SH laser. Wavedashing around with Falco isn't really needed. You just have to Dash-dance is all. His wavedash can be used for chaining moves together involving the shine. Meaning you have to shine first and then Wavedash out of it. Aside from that you don't need it for spacing. That's all I can give you because I'm still learning myself. I've only been using Falco for about a month but My skill level has doubled if not tripled since I rejoined the melee community and started lurking in the melee threads here. I will suggest 1 more thing and that's looking up Falco Tutorials on youtube. Just try to watch and then try it out.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Word to the mogwai:
I really like shine-nair, but people tell me shine bair will just get me more
Should I make the effort to change my gameplay or just stick with what I know?
Also I'm trying to teach that kid Victoriou$. We live real close by, and he's picking up this stuff pretty quickly. I'm happy that he's learning falco as a first character, as his metagame can really be taken as far as you want to. What would you refer to as the basics of falco? I know shine-dair, lasers, and spacing, but I feel like I'm not teaching him something.
PS You're a cool dude

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
so, i picked up falco recently, and i can fare rather well, but im havin problems with samus, and zelda...i dont now what to do.i cant pillar either and zeldas reflector thing ****s any of my aproaches.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

any help would be great!

1. ArcNatural covered pretty well.

2. Yeah, keep practicing. Everybody has trouble SHing consistently when they start out. Figure out which method of SHing is most natural for you, and practice even more. Everyone on these boards has practiced techs for countless hours. It's nothing special. Just keep going and it will all come together.

3. Go to training mode and pick Luigi. Do nothing but wavedash around for an hour. Seriously, it's easy as anything. My little 10-year-old brother can do it. This is a good place to start mastering this relatively basic technique (Just to clarify, being ABLE to wavedash is basic because it is now something that everyone can do; it takes considerably longer to effectively integrate it into your playstyle).

Oh and utilt is called a tilt for a reason. Don't press A as soon as you press up. You want to tilt the control stick up just slightly and THEN press the A button.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
yes

Is it a good move for tech chasing/
no, you can do better. for example, anything that combos (i.e. most of his other moves).

quick-get-out-of-my-face move?
yes, also spaced on a shield is pretty safe. Watch MaNg0 vs. M2K from waffle's channel and check how he uses nair + ftilt to space on M2K's shield.

so, i picked up falco recently, and i can fare rather well, but im havin problems with samus, and zelda...i dont now what to do.i cant pillar either and zeldas reflector thing ****s any of my aproaches.
Camp them both. Pressure Zelda's Sheild, her grab is too slow to do anything about it. Don't approach Samus ever and there's nothing she can do, you just win by default.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
awesome...ima call my group and were gonna play...and now i should. my biggest mistake was trying to appraoch apparently.
thanx.
ill edit with the results of today's smashing later

edit: bah...his zelda beat my falco more than it lost. his reflector just fux everything i try to get close with...
w/e practice makes perfect i suppose, its the only one of my chars he can beat regulary

Falcinho

Smash Ace
oh you can approach

but not too obviously

and spam shield against Samus to not get hit by her moves
If you get grabbed work on your reaction time =P

Oracle

Smash Master
Well I meant like stopping an approach from the air where it's not fast enough to jump and dair and shine doesn't have enough range. obviously if they're all up in mah grill I'll just shine their ***

Ryan-K

Smash Master
wd back ftilt if you gonna stop ****

of course imo utilt is better in every way in stopping approaches not only does it cover a 180 degree arc behind you in PURE UNADULTERATED PRIORITY but it also leads to things and is one of the safest moves in the game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
wd back ftilt if you gonna stop ****

of course imo utilt is better in every way in stopping approaches not only does it cover a 180 degree arc behind you in PURE UNADULTERATED PRIORITY but it also leads to things and is one of the safest moves in the game.
LOOOOOOOOOOL

Amazing =).

I like spaced f-tilts on shield :bee: it makes people jump and run away into shls a lot =D

JPOBS

Smash Hero
spacing ftilts into sheilds near edges scares people for some reason.

they either jump or roll towards you lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well when they miss the tech and then got laser reset, they now get up faster than i can reach them and can shield, wavedash, attack etc

but if they missed the tech and werent reset, they could either be left to roll one of two ways, or stand (which would have been slower than being reset)

all of which options i could cover and mindgame into followups but accidental resets from habitual laser spam gets me once in a while :laugh:
That a valid point. But its still not that bad really. If u force them to get up u are still in control.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
alright..after 3 days of playing for a few hours each i can 2 stock samus most matches and im still havin some troublw with zelda, but mostly its my own **** ups. like tryin to reverse my lasers and phantasming off the stage or appraoching with lasers and doin the same thing.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm having difficulty waveshining. Is there a certain way one should perform waveshines? Should I let the control stick return to neutral position after the shine and before the wavedash or should I just keep it held in the direction I want to wavedash? I can only pull off 2-3 waveshines in a row and I can't even do them that fast. Also, the longer I practice the worse I do for some reason.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Take a break if you get too frustrated. I heard that returning to neutral will make you more consistent.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
well the shine only registers up until a certain angle of the control stick. if you find and muscle memorise the limit to that angle then all you have to do is then hold the controlstick still, and press jump+R. this wont be a very good distance wavedash out of shine, but its probably safest as you wont phantasm or standstill wavedash.

however if you want a full length waveshine, or to vary the length of your waveshine, or to change the direction you wavedash out of shine, youll need to reset.

Top Bottom