• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Quoting myself because I want an answer.

So I'm not sure how much ppl know about this, but someone mentioning walljumping reminded me of this. Tomacawk and iamthemicrowave were doing this recovery trick. Whenever they ledgeteched, they would point up getting the auto walljump of course, and also hitting the cstick towards the stage, making an instant walljump attack and bairing the attacker. It really isn't too difficult if you can remember to do it...Maybe everyone knows this.
Yea, PC told me about how Rice always does it and how it's really beast. Training yourself to do it is a decent idea, but it gets ***** at low %s vs. good crouch cancelers, so I'd still advocate stationary tech -> forward B as your default reaction.

As to your other question, I don't know what you're looking for. If you have an example of someone doing better things off a shine than you right in front of you, why don't you just do that? I mean, the only thing I can really tell you is that you shouldn't dair them above 40ish in the cookie cutter shine -> WD -> sh dair combos, because then they can tech and it's **** near impossible to follow up correctly. You're better off doing aerial shine -> platform wave land or a sexy WD reverse utilt or a JC usmash or sh uair or sh fair -> grab even.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yea, PC told me about how Rice always does it and how it's really beast. Training yourself to do it is a decent idea, but it gets ***** at low %s vs. good crouch cancelers, so I'd still advocate stationary tech -> forward B as your default reaction.

As to your other question, I don't know what you're looking for. If you have an example of someone doing better things off a shine than you right in front of you, why don't you just do that? I mean, the only thing I can really tell you is that you shouldn't dair them above 40ish in the cookie cutter shine -> WD -> sh dair combos, because then they can tech and it's **** near impossible to follow up correctly. You're better off doing aerial shine -> platform wave land or a sexy WD reverse utilt or a JC usmash or sh uair or sh fair -> grab even.
Ah, very nice. Nobody has ever told me I should just stop dairing at 40 even though i figured I should stop. All those other ideas besides waveland (im not that good =P) are awesome. Thanks much.

Also may I add, fantastic recovery post. One of those "i should read this multiple times" things.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Wow, thanks for the guide. Not only does this huglely benefit Falco, but I'm sure it can be applied to any character. Well not per se, but getting down the thinking that you suggested can improve anyone's game.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
technically i knew everything already, but is useful guide in terms of how to think about recovering and the mindset. last section especial :)

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Pillaring with Falco is fastest with the control stick, but it's still possible to be fast enough using X/Y so they can't grab you after you shine without being hit by a nair, right?

2G00d

Smash Rookie
I completely love this thread.
Helps me to think what I need to do when playing some campy Sheik :)

Only problem I have is, inconsistent wavedashs.
I had better wavedash before I played fox, after I played fox my wavedash just fails into full jump.
Ne tips? :o

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I completely love this thread.
Helps me to think what I need to do when playing some campy Sheik :)

Only problem I have is, inconsistent wavedashs.
I had better wavedash before I played fox, after I played fox my wavedash just fails into full jump.
Ne tips? :o
That's because when you press jump with Fox, he stays on the ground for a very short amount of time before he leaves to jump.

With Falco, after pressing jump he stays on the ground for a long time, which is why if you try to air dodge too soon you'll just full jump.

Practice practice practice. Falco (same with Ganondorf and Bowser) have weird wavedashes and you have to airdodge just a tad later. After you fiddle around with it and get the timing down, it should be no problem.

And if a Sheik is camping you, camp back. You have lasers for God's sake.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
These are all characters' first airborne frame. So the earlier the character is airborne, the quicker proper wavedash timing is. So if you WD perfectly with Fox and screw up with Falco, you just need to adjust your WD timing to be slightly later (your Fox airdodge timing is while Falco is still on the ground and unable to airdodge). This also explains why some characters are easier to shorthop with than others, as the game detects short hops by seeing if you're still pressing jump 2 frames before you would be airborne meaning that you have twice as long with Falco (4 frames) to let go of Jump as say Fox (2 frames).

Fastest Jumps (4th frame)
Fox
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Samus
Sheik
Pichu
Pikachu

Average Jumps (5th Frame)
Doc
Mario
Luigi
Falcon
Ness
Young Link
Mr.Game & Watch
Marth

Slow Jumps (6th Frame)
Peach
Yoshi
DK
Falco
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Roy

Slower Jumps (7th Frame)
Ganon
Zelda
Link

ZOMG WTF Slowest Jump (9th Frame)
Bowser

TresChikon

Smash Lord
it takes more time for bowser to jump than for marth to grab ._.
:O

Bowser's like "Rawr, Dash into JC Grab!"

Marth drinks a cup of tea like a ***, "Eh come here you chubby kid" *grabs*

Disclaimer=Drinking tea is not gay, I'm just making fun of Marth.

Doesn't anyone think Falco's waveshine feels funny?

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
i like foxes waveshine a lot more than falcos tbh. feels more natural.

bowsers waveshine is legit though

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like you should be a Fox player to me :p Falco's WD/Waveshine feels infinitely more natural to me. It might have something to do with maining the little ****er for 3+ years now though.
lol falcos gameplay is a lot more my style, basically everything about falco im better with than fox, except wavedashes (and that applies to all my characters)

fast wd = zoomzoomzoom
slow wavedash = zoo...ooom?! zooo...jump >_<

TresChikon

Smash Lord
lol falcos gameplay is a lot more my style, basically everything about falco im better with than fox, except wavedashes (and that applies to all my characters)

fast wd = zoomzoomzoom
slow wavedash = zoo...ooom?! zooo...jump >_<
Fox needs a fast wd to be all crazy and chemically imbalanced, but Falco can just cruise all nice and flowy with his combos.

4% APR

Smash Champion
this is awesome with marth because the bair turns you around so you can grab the edge instead of going to far from the wall jump and dying

PEEF!

Smash Hero
On the subject of LHDL:

I swear to god I am going to kill myself if I spend another hour trying to get this **** down. I can do everything else regarding falco. I have no problem multi-waveshining, shine>firebird stalling, whatever else, except this god **** double laser p'akonib''bp'iawonbaw;or!

When I do the y button version, I shoot one too high, or I cant get the second out. When I do the control stick version, I side b or up b 95% of the time, and the other 5% I make it onto the stage and either shoot one laser too high or can't get the second out. I have no idea how you press b soon enough after the tap jump to not side or up b. =,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[

I want to quit life.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
On the subject of LHDL:

I swear to god I am going to kill myself if I spend another hour trying to get this **** down. I can do everything else regarding falco. I have no problem multi-waveshining, shine>firebird stalling, whatever else, except this god **** double laser p'akonib''bp'iawonbaw;or!

When I do the y button version, I shoot one too high, or I cant get the second out. When I do the control stick version, I side b or up b 95% of the time, and the other 5% I make it onto the stage and either shoot one laser too high or can't get the second out. I have no idea how you press b soon enough after the tap jump to not side or up b. =,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[

I want to quit life.
Do the one that "feels" more comfortable to do.

Personally I use the control stick method. I generally press down on the controller then press up then make sure I have my control stick in the neutral position when I press the first B. Then I move forward and keep mashing B.

The trick is to make sure that for the first laser, your movement is only vertical. Or rather your control stick is in the neutral position I guess.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
seems like youre just too slow getting from y to b tbh. same with me though, its getting better but its rare my first laser will go at a hitable height.

just keep practising (as i am) and eventually you'll become more consistantly fast getting from y to b, and your lasers will be low, and both come out.

also, i tried the control stick method, and although it does get me same height lasers, its much more likely i'll firebird, firebird stall, or just shine or something crap. i figure thats more of a catastrophe than one high laser from the y>b method, so i steer clear of the control stick and am just training y>b

Alukard

Smash Hero
i can't multi shine on someones shield ... =[

mogwai must help me next time i see him =]

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Alu just keep trying it in matches, thats how Elen and myself got it down :D
Use control stick ggz

btw mogwai i really want to falco ditto you since i got ridiculously good practice vs zoso in them over the past 2 days.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Alu just keep trying it in matches, thats how Elen and myself got it down :D
Use control stick ggz

btw mogwai i really want to falco ditto you since i got ridiculously good practice vs zoso in them over the past 2 days.
i can't do it with stick ... i can only do it with y and b -___-

but i mean i'm getting pretty beast with falco =P

Alukard

Smash Hero
idk man last time we money matched falco dittos it was me who won and i'm a scrub.
get at me!!! lol jkjk
wasn't that like 4 mass maddness' ago ??

also wasn't i ****** u with like luigi ... link ... _____ *insert any char here* at dj's house

^_^

Top Bottom