• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Ruleset

Hax

Smash Champion
there need to be bans in 3/5...

Stadium is also A. an unfair stage and B. will cause periods of stalling during transformations that will waste stream time

if you're not going to have bans then it's a must that you use the DSR (not sure if it's the modified one or not) that only lets someone pick a stage and win on it once per set. extremely unfair to let someone pick the stage that would have been banned twice in the set

luzbwl

Smash Cadet
OK, here is what im proposing.

Apex ruleset. Ice climbers are free to wobble, pause disabled, 4 stock, 8 minutes, 2/3 games, warmups limited to 30 seconds (to make sure your controllers are working).

We will narrow it down to top 8 via one day, but you can play casuals and run side tournaments the other free day.

Thoughts?
Awesome
#hailthewizard #freeiceclimbers

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

Stadium is also A. an unfair stage and B. will cause periods of stalling during transformations that will waste stream time
Aziz I know you really wanna change up the standard ruleset but I think we ought to test stuff like that out at our own tournies (extensively) before experimenting with them at EVO.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
True. The question is, is time stalling usually really an option if you don't play Puff against Young Link (a floaty character that never dies against a camper)?

EDIT: OK apparently Mr Wizard is content with 8 minutes.
Im not content with 8 minutes, but ill take one for the team.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Im not content with 8 minutes, but ill take one for the team.
yo damn

ty based wizard

are WF/LF/GF gonna be 3/5?

also guys just warning you now: we shouldn't expect a good stream time (ie middle of the day) as there's quite a bit of logistics issues lol. the ST stuff was held at the end of friday night or w/e because their setup is cumbersome to manipulate/change between. since a flagship title needs to take the night spot on sat or sunday, this means that we're likely to see a stream spot on one of the mornings for the same reason.

Gea

Smash Master

Apex ruleset. Ice climbers are free to wobble, pause disabled, 4 stock, 8 minutes, 2/3 games, warmups limited to 30 seconds (to make sure your controllers are working).

We will narrow it down to top 8 via one day, but you can play casuals and run side tournaments the other free day.

Thoughts?
One small thing I want to mention. 30 seconds for warmup is fine but turning pause off means this is sort of tougher to enforce properly, as ending the 30 second warmup is on the players to suicide (timed matches smallest increment is 1 minute). As long as whoever is running the pool enforces this sorta thing it shouldn't be a problem, but just something to chew on.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Dave's stupid rule is really stupid

unless it's modified, then it becomes Dave's smart rule

modified dave's stupid rule plz

E:

Mr. Wizard, do you think there will be enough CRT TV's at the venue for friendlies?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Dave's stupid rule is really stupid

unless it's modified, then it becomes Dave's smart rule

modified dave's stupid rule plz

E:

Mr. Wizard, do you think there will be enough CRT TV's at the venue for friendlies?
DSR modified actually doesn't have any effect on the stage selection if you won on your opponent's first counterpick. That's what Hax was complaining about. It'd dumb that anyone has to play on their opponent's best counterpick twice. That's why I've been pushing (shamelessly spamming in any ruleset-related thread) this instead:

COUNTERPICKING
1. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
2. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
3. The winner of the previous game bans a stage.
4. The loser of the previous game chooses from the remaining stages.
- Random is not a legal counterpick.
- Bans are temporary and do not carry over to the next the game's stage selection.
- Bones's Stupid Rule: A player cannot ban the same stage twice in a row.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Mr. Wizard is amazing.

Also, I somehow doubt the BYOC area will have CRTs, and I really hope we know better than to take up TO much room for friendlies.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Serious question: Would it be a good idea to allow wobbling for 1 stock only(And possibly only up to a certain percent or something; like 80-110%)?

Revven

FrankerZ
One thing should be clear: do not use tourney setups for friendlies. If you finish a set with someone, leave the setup so others can finish their matches. I would remain cautiously optimistic about getting friendlies at the actual venue. Hotel rooms? Go for it, there's plenty opportunity there.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

if you're not going to have bans then it's a must that you use the DSR (not sure if it's the modified one or not) that only lets someone pick a stage and win on it once per set. extremely unfair to let someone pick the stage that would have been banned twice in the set
http://meleeitonme.tumblr.com/post/41702001601/someone-is-trying-to-remember-the-difference-between

(It's DSR)

Beat!

Smash Master
Serious question: Would it be a good idea to allow wobbling for 1 stock only(And possibly only up to a certain percent or something; like 80-110%)?
No, that would not be a good idea. I mean, the "only up to a certain percent" part is good, but we have that already (and 80-110 is too low), but there's no reason to limit wobbling to one stock. Leave the poor character alone.

R3N0

Smash Lord
Apex rule set 2013.

4 stocks / 7 mins /8 mins makes no huge difference.

Each match between top players take anywhere from 2-5 minutes Tops.

I don't quite remember when the last time someone timed someone else out.

However the idea of 6 minutes is.. as described earlier i feel is more incentive to camp.

3 stocks is out of the question.

Apex 2013 ran smoothly for the most part. I think we should keep this rule set. We had 300 entrants and finished pools like.. 7 hrs? i think? Not so bad.

clowsui

Smash Legend
if it took you 7 hours to cut down to a 128 man bracket with stream considerations I think 9 or 10 hours sounds about right to cut down to top 8 from a true double elim with no stream

Nintendude

Smash Hero
if it took you 7 hours to cut down to a 128 man bracket with stream considerations I think 9 or 10 hours sounds about right to cut down to top 8 from a true double elim with no stream
It was a lot shorter than that. Apex 2013 pools finished way ahead of schedule. I think each of the 4 waves finished at least 30-45 minutes ahead of schedule. They started the final wave of pools 2 hours early.

clowsui

Smash Legend
that's pretty interesting. that means that we're very likely to see a top 8 w/in 10 hours...=) which means there's even more time for everyone to play casuals (friendlies, w/e) and also to run a doubles side tourney

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can't base **** off of Apex 2013. Tons of players got DQed because they moved entire pools up 3 hours (mine was moved from 1 PM to 10 AM with no warning). Then, after everyone had advanced to about semi finals in the bracket, the people that started showing up complained so we replayed all the pools matches. We could have easily ran our pool 4 times over (Round Robin style) by the time we finished.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
One thing should be clear: do not use tourney setups for friendlies. If you finish a set with someone, leave the setup so others can finish their matches. I would remain cautiously optimistic about getting friendlies at the actual venue. Hotel rooms? Go for it, there's plenty opportunity there.
I was a judge at last year's EVO, and if it runs similar to last year, there will be a judge at every station ensuring tourney setups are being used to maximum efficiency. Cooperation is a bonus, but there will be enforcement.

:phone:

Revven

FrankerZ
I think #freeiceclimbers is the way to go. People at Marvel 3 tournaments get pumped and excited when players land infinites. Even if wobbling itself isn't exciting to see, the execution it takes to get it is what gets people pumped and chant about it. Hell, getting a grab on someone like Fox with ICs is ****ing exciting as hell to see. When Fly was against SFAT at BH2 my heart was pounding like crazy whenever Fly got a grab and then I was blown away at what he chose to do.

There's absolutely no reason to exclude it, especially when ICs have lots of other grab shenanigans going on that players tend to fail to escape anyway.

UltraDavid and James Chen said it best last night, "Let it rock."

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Well hand-offs and Wobbling are a lot different. Hand-offs usually require more execution, is riskier, and looks fancy when done correctly. Wobbling's a lot easier to do and is usually more guaranteed for the kill.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Doesn't matter jerks, wobbling is here to stay.

More importantly.

Don't lose in your bracket pools. One of the most important things (that got mentioned before by Nintendude, iirc) is that unlike with us, at EVO and with most traditional fighters in tournaments if you lose at any point, you are now 1-and-done for the rest of the event if you get out of loser's bracket.

We don't have a fresh promotion from pools to top-whatever.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Well hand-offs and Wobbling are a lot different. Hand-offs usually require more execution, is riskier, and looks fancy when done correctly. Wobbling's a lot easier to do and is usually more guaranteed for the kill.
Sheik's chaingrabs take no skill and are way easier than her tech chases which often look cooler and are awesome cuz they lead to combos.

New rule: Sheik cannot chaingrab anybody.

Gea

Smash Master
You have to be kidding me. It's been years and years and despite lots of wobbling on tournaments no ICs have dominated with it. On what basis should it honestly be banned? The original argument was that it would become over-centralizing.

Revven

FrankerZ
And no way is anybody going to give up the main they've been using for years on the chance of wobbling with ICs to victory. That would just be asinine to expect. There's so few ICs mains, let them go crazy.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord

Thoughts?
Sounds great! A teams side tournament should be held on the free day.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I loved the show and everything about it but they made it sound like Wobbling legal hasn't been the standard for a while...
Its been legal, but I don't know if I would call it a standard.

I admit, I've been in and out of the recent scene but if there is THIS much argument about wobbling being legal I don't think I would call it a standard just yet.

Top Bottom