• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i have played Pi, 3, Rock Lee, Superwavedash, and knihT.
They were all okay but IHSB is way better than all of them.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Very entertaining matches. Playing and watching good players and playing more eventually starts to take it's toll in a positive way. I can see lots of overall improvements. You need to work on fighting Falcon. You got a ****ing gift on that Stadium match dude. If he Full jumped you were dead.

Still I'd say the reason why he's catching you often is that he's got a read on you most likely from playing you so much. It's one of the major downsides to playing against people who play falcon often. You think all those side-b attacks were luck? Nah, I can tell you as someone who plays Falcon against Marth just as much as I play Marth against Falcon that once you catch onto the marth players timing for certain moves he becomes easily baited and/or *****. The best advice I would say is not to over extend yourself and never use laggy moves when Falcon is in close range to you. also Falcon does sometime Side-b through you goddamn shield it's SO GAY but to avoid that try to side-b him, jab him, or grab him when you can feel the move coming it helps. The best approach to Falcon isn't to try to go for combo vid worthy attacks and risk getting punished. Play safe and try to instead get him to over commit. Be ready to react to anything and everything but don't take the lead unless you see an opening. Most Falcon players/mains are jumpy so odds are they'll cave first and approach with a Bair/Nair/Side-B. Sometimes a grab attempt or a Blind Knee but usually the other 3 will come first.

In any case I'd say just keep playing and improving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyX5c-7A3PA&feature=player_detailpage
Some friendlies with a peach main.
Being friendlies, some of this will be hard to critique because I'm really forcing alot of things to test them out but I was still trying to win so . . . . let me have it.
thanks.
You did a very good job of following hax's thread of not approaching. Also the fact that he isn't a regular fox main showed because the techskill wasn't there. with that said you did good with what you had. I can see you've got that M2K type practice on CPU fast fallers LOL. You got very good reactions to DI's from grab. The only thing I would say watch out for is falling into a pattern. It's safe because this guy didn't pick up on it but by the time the 2nd match hit I was shocked that he didn't start feeling out some of those Nairs. Some good Fox players might time those with an aerial over the top or an Up smash before you can fast fall. Not to mention they can just dash a little farther left then come back and grab, smash you, shine you...etc. I noticed from time to time after you would do a few nairs you would do high jump double fairs and then back to nairs(at least the first few matches). Keep in mind if I catch patterns like this really good players will pick up on it quick. Remember, It's not a mix up if it is predictable or done in a pattern:cool:. Aside from that not much to be said you are looking pretty cute out there.

hmmm I watch this match and some of the others. From what I am seeing Cpt.Smuckers is the 'local hero'. The best of the 3 of you simply from having the advance techs mastered to a higher level then the rest of you. In my case I was the Cpt.Smuckers. Don't worry when he goes to a tournament like Apex2 for example I think he'll calm down ;).

Now...about the marth. It's clear that you don't have the advanced basics mastered enough. So many missed wavelands for example kind of show you need to work on just things like those first as well as hitting all your L-cancels. Also...if you do ONE MORE DASH ATTACK I'M GONNA!!! try to avoid overdoing the dash attacks please. They are a good option to catch Fox by surprise usually during his laser camping. However constantly doing it is just asking for trouble at a higher level. However that seems like something else you need to work on. Alot of times I know what you were going to do before you did it. You seem to have a habit of trying to do the same things twice or in the same situation despite them not working. Means to me that you need a bit more experience as well as knowledge of certain things like % combos and set ups. Example being twice you caught fox with the fair, then when he landed both times you f-smashed at his invincibility frames. Sometimes you Fsmashed for/at nothing or did up-tilts seemingly hoping for the best. Basically habits I see that can be developed from too much cpu practice I believe.

The good thing is I see you do pick up on things. vs Cpt.Smuckers for example I noticed you were ready for alot of his 'choice options'. The problem is the Technical skill, reaction speed, or sometimes both was missing. Try to work on those 2 alot and you'll be a beast in no time.

So ends critique for me.

huMps

Smash Ace
Thanks alot spam! Those rising fairs were one of the things I was talking about forcing. I was trying to find a reasonable situation for them.
And I do practice chain grabs on fast fallers ALOT lol. Fox is probably my best match up, but it's the only recording I've got. I'll try and get some falco falcon vids recorded soon. I'm horrendous at those MUs.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Not a problem Humps. *chuckles a little* *returns to serious face*

Falcon seems like a real challenge for 90% of Marth players but I get the feeling I'll do better and better at the MU as I go along. It's all about systematic shut downs. Falcon is a butterfly in tights. Your job is to be the butterfly net, corner him, catch him, trap him, bait him, kill him.

Falco is that bull**** match-up right now. I feel like I can play it and alot of Marths do but I feel like it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOO much energy to beat him that I just couldn't keep it up for too long. You are being shot at from the start so you have to dodge/block/reflect lasers while trying not to be positioned by the Falco player and then you have to get a hit on him without getting lasers to the feet/face...if you do get a hit you MUST kill him where as falco can just kind of progressively **** you whenever he feels like it then he can take a breath, eat a sandwich, and continue ****** you. What kills a falco player is the basics or AT's that have become basics now. Power shield lasers, WD OoS-*insert option here*, Learning to mix in techchasing(if needed), Chaingrab mastery,Upthrow-****** through platforms and spacing correctly.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyX5c-7A3PA&feature=player_detailpage
Some friendlies with a peach main.
Being friendlies, some of this will be hard to critique because I'm really forcing alot of things to test them out but I was still trying to win so . . . . let me have it.
thanks.
How about posting a vid of a character that I actually... wait. We don't have any Peach/Marth recorded. Never mind. We should do that soon. Come to Smash club or something this week.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
have at it :/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhMd_R_dxQ

don't take game 3 too seriously, but please still point out what my panic-habits are
dem jitters :(
Should've never went to game 3. you had it :(.

I personally wouldn't have picked Yoshi's I actually don't like that stage even though I play Marth.

I'd say you lost your concentration and patience. I noticed the entire last game you didn't stall on the edge once. you grabbed the edge=jumped right up for a fair. Once you went for a wave-land but still he was able to see it coming because you were rushing straight in.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
if you are not at an exceptional level of Marth play don't use him against sheik because the gayness is just annoying. You need to work on a bit of everything I'd say though. You have alot of start then go moments which happens to everyone with any character they just start playing usually. An example meaning moments you walk to someone-shield for a few seconds- then try to shield grab. You also need to develop a flow so to speak. Mastering the Chain throws, Combos, and %'s for everything will really help. Then there is a matter of transitioning. You seem to get stuck sometimes. Like you can WaveDash OoS but when you start it's like you can't stop doing it or something sometimes. Times when you can do it to escape pressure however you don't use it. I'm not sure the reason but in 2012 you cannot stand still and shield. DON'T DO IT! That's all I can say for now. I'm tired and I'll watch the last 30 minutes in the morning/afternoon.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Haha yeah. I've significantly cut down on the needless WDing since that video. I'll try and get a new video soon. Thanks for the critiques though. Given what you said about Sheik, was I falling for something Sheik did multiple times? Any advice for that matchup?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
The main thing I can say you did wrong overall against sheik was get too close to her. You want to stay close enough so that you can approach and hit with the sword as well as react with maybe a retreating fair or nair if possible. You don't want to get too far because sheik can camp you to death. However in real close sheik can tilt in ANY direction and beat you up. Not to mention you are in range of her grab and Dthrow is the killer of Marth and everyone else in this game (Minus Puff at mid %). Just watch some M2K/Ken vs KDJ videos and you'll get the basics of that MU.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8boBkvmyy_k&feature=channel_video_title (starts at 4:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iib7fdKlB-4&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O354mCoqdyg&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedcoZtrZwg&feature=channel_video_title

I'd reallly reallllllly like it if someone could critique me!

I'd prefer critiques of the videos closer to the bottom of this list or ones on traditional peach CP stages, but honestly whatever can be given I'll take.

Thanks <3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Good stuff man, ur marth is really good. Only watched the first game on the list, it was pretty intense too. You have a hard time killing peach, but thats marth's weakness in the match-up in general. You play to marth's strengths and show why i think marth wins the MU. Didn't watch the others due to time, and i'm not really in a position to critique you, so i'll leave the rest to others...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I really struggled with killing =(

I actually kinda suck at spacing Fsmash sometimes LOL so I kept trying to Dtilt him off and edgeguard but I flubbed that too much. I had some good uptilts and trades with uptilts.....does tippered Ftilt kill early? Maybe I could try that. I doubt I'd get many reverse up-Bs so I'm not sure what else to try lol.

...or I could get better at spacing Fsmash. XD either way thanks man =)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would like to see you impliment ftilt into your game. It does have good knockback and range, though its somewhat slow. It starts from the ground tho so it could be useful against both ground spacing and aerial spacings of peach. Its one of those moves that are underused but have good potential.

:phone:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I ftilt more in other matchups for those reasons, but I guess I felt uncomfortable with it against peach. I did get a good one at some point in my matches though, so that should be indicator enough that I could use more of that move even against her.

Hmm....yeah thanks for the advice man. =)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
@ Dr.PP

Marth vs Peach at that level is hard. It's not a losing MU but it's like Marth vs Falcon. You have a slight edge do to Range so you have to make it count. 3 things I try keep in mind.

1. Spacing - From where Peach is to where you are should be about 2 sword lengths. From there Peach may toss turnips but you should be able to dash out side of the range or dash all the way in to take advantage. As husband once said "with a turnip in hand Peach does not have a grab, she doesn't have a push". Limiting her options in certain situations to Shielding, Spot dodging, Rolls, Air dodging...etc(Evasive movements). Or a brave heart like Armada may and likely will go for an OoS Trade with a Nair or even a Turnip toss. Be ready for whichever. Don't be afraid to space Ftilts considering they A: Protect your feet and B:are less punishable than a Fsmash. Even a Jab from a distance is safe because it will stop most of peach's approaches.

2. Fear the Dsmash/special pulled turnips - Don't get hit by it ever and you will most likely win. I dare say peach cannot win without catch you with Dsmash/Stitch/bomb/sword..etc. It's important that you are very careful in the approach. In fact the safer you are the less chances Peach has. Most of the time Armada beat's Marths because they go for unneeded trades or perhaps the finishing blow when Peach is at high %. DON'T DO IT IT'S A TRAP! Let peach sacrifice herself...by that I mean if you are up and at low% and turnips aren't working do to good spacing or catching the turnips then they have no choice but to come to you. you should have enough time to react to anything peach does in time to kill her or at least knock her away from you so you can retake control of space.

3. The Obvious Peach stuff. Know your enemy - It's important that you know Peach as well as they know Marth. If you are doing the Above you can expect a few things. Alot of Push attacks they can beat your , Float cancel drifting forward and then backwards to bait you into a falling fair, The OoS Bair/Nair that will **** you if you don't space well enough to hit shields with the tip, The Dsmash after Spot dodge or if you try to flank them, and last but not least the Turnip-Nair that Armada made famous and Genesis1.

Just some things I can think of at the moment. You do well with Marth against Armada but your Falco mentality shows sometimes(Meaning wanting to get the follow up) Falco can usually get follow-ups and at the very least he can get a laser off on someone who goes to far away to be hit again. Marth has limits on follow-ups so be careful about over extending yourself for additional attacks If the follow up isn't there then abandon it and prepare to defend the stage from Peach's return.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee63pGBBcKI

Had a very close set with Darrell at APEX.

Would really appreciate it if you guys could critique.
You telegraph approaches in those platform waveland Fairs, but you end up making it a mixup with a waveland to FF Fsmash so that's kinda cool.

I care more about you making your life continuously harder for yourself when you lose some momentum. Be okay with waiting or resetting the situation more than going for that shield grab or doing that tempting Fair from the edge. You got ***** a lot game 1 for letting a small bad situation escalate to a stock a couple times imo.

Also, since it's Samus, you might as well Dair to Dair so you can possibly tech chase instead of just a Dair to Fair followup. Of course if you don't think you can get to the tech in time then yeah keeping Samus in a poor scenario(in the air) is cool too.

@Spam: Good advice, especially related to my instincts on followups. I'll have to be more intelligent about that, thanks. =)

I.B

Smash Lord
You telegraph approaches in those platform waveland Fairs, but you end up making it a mixup with a waveland to FF Fsmash so that's kinda cool.

I care more about you making your life continuously harder for yourself when you lose some momentum. Be okay with waiting or resetting the situation more than going for that shield grab or doing that tempting Fair from the edge. You got ***** a lot game 1 for letting a small bad situation escalate to a stock a couple times imo.

Also, since it's Samus, you might as well Dair to Dair so you can possibly tech chase instead of just a Dair to Fair followup. Of course if you don't think you can get to the tech in time then yeah keeping Samus in a poor scenario(in the air) is cool too.
Appreciate it Doctor Peeps :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
@Spam: Good advice, especially related to my instincts on followups. I'll have to be more intelligent about that, thanks. =)
I'm good for more then just trolling my own thread :awesome:.

@Everyone it's important for the survival of our character(Marth) now more than ever that we trade notes/secrets on individual character MU's, Strengths & Weaknesses, and tactics. We have 11 1/2 Months to turn this year unto a successful year for Marthkind. Lets get into it ;).

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Meant to ask this.

So I saw on a YS mtach that PP missed a few DD>grabs(armada spot dodging and having a lil time to Dsmash or w.e. I whiffed a few grabs in a recent set in the same fashion and released that sometimes after that whiffed grab marth can jab and depending on how far your whiff is....the jab tips them. Any thoughts on that sort of follow up to a missed approach? I feel as if the more marth shields the worse of he is(vs peach at least), so I am thinking of ways to insert alternatives shielding.

stay grounded more.

you commit to the air too much

thats all for now

edit:

IB/Tai

do y'all have any critique on my marth? you guys played it and saw it the most out of everyone the whole weekend(of APEX that is).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Meant to ask this.

So I saw on a YS mtach that PP missed a few DD>grabs(armada spot dodging and having a lil time to Dsmash or w.e. I whiffed a few grabs in a recent set in the same fashion and released that sometimes after that whiffed grab marth can jab and depending on how far your whiff is....the jab tips them. Any thoughts on that sort of follow up to a missed approach? I feel as if the more marth shields the worse of he is(vs peach at least), so I am thinking of ways to insert alternatives shielding.
So that would mean we should space all of our JC grabs then? An interesting idea...

At any spacing outside of peach jab spacing though I'd probably be content Dtilt'ing unless Peach's % is high enough to maybe get more reward for an Ftilt. I'm not sure whether Peach's jab is about the same range as Marth's grab or less or not, but if it's less then that does give Marth the option to side B or jab at the least, which is great for keeping ourselves safe.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I mean at high level to get a grab it has to be well spaced most of the time. At high level not too many grab opportunities occur where you have time to REALLY mess up the spacing. Essentially a majority of whiffed grabs could be up for the strategy.

Furthermore, the timing on spot-dodging is something I instinctively take into effect. Like if the fox or w.e is buffering it out of a shuffle then I can kind of make an intuitive read on which active frames of the dodge are dodging my grab. If its the first few then I can probly jab,shield, roll etc and MAYBE escape if they are the last few active frames then I may get punished. I mean a spot dodge is so quick and its hard to "Read" the frames but sometimes ( I guess due to experience) there is some sort of split second process that goes on instinctively.

The latter def adds a bit of difficulty. Not only does that come into account, but things like the shine/faster jabs seemingly narrow down the window of opportunity for marths jab and/or shut down the option overall with priority/speed. Spacing and timing are indicative. Furthermore, another challenge to the strategy would be a reactive CC'er. A tipper jab is hard to CC which plays in Marths favor. Also, the elapsed time of the instance is really short and may always be answered with a CC.

All n all:
This situation strategy is essentially another close quarters mix up for marth to keep him on the offense.

EDIT:

wow i never thought of using Forward tilt! Now that I think about it, that seems like a great idea given the spacing. To ensure spacing one could even be risky enough to purposely whiff a grab then ftilt for a tipper. shroomed kind of does that with his Doc with utilt. Something will obviously miss then the utilt comes out like lightning and since he spaces it a bit and the opponent generally isn't expecting it, he never really pays from the recoil. Perhaps marth's range/recoil ratio on ftilt is such that given the right space he can do the same and utilize it in similar fashion.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
@PP

First thing I noticed is that every time you got a grab, you would fthrow. Make sure you're mixing up your throws for DI reasons as well as combo potential. All throw options are combo-able on peach at different percents. What was the particular reason you -always- used fthrow?

Edgeguarding - Much like the entire MU, you have to wait until Peach commits to something, or make her commit to something then punish it. Most peach's do an excellent job of hovering just outside of Marth's range when returning to the stage. Marth jumps out, then it's a gimp (i.e. your final stock on yoshi's) or they make it safely back to the stage. Peach is just like most other characters. She's got a second jump and an up-b. Yeah, that second jump may last forever, but it's still essentially the same thing. Don't forget that.

At higher percents, remember that side-b is an excellent setup for an utilt or ftilt kill. Side-b is actually an excellent move in the MU because it pops peach up if you hit her with it (You want peach in the air as often as possible), and it's also really good as an edgeguard to either force peach to commit to something or mindgame her into something else. Dtilt works for that as well but you have to stop running first to do it.

Speaking of, anybody know if Peach can sweetspot from below the stage?

Apart from that, you played the MU well. Excellent job of saving your jump when recovering. Very important to do that as often as possible. Peach's love to toss turnips off stage, and having a jump allows you to get around them easily or even jump into one to smash DI it to save your life.

As far as stage choice goes. I try to limit top platform as often as possible. I like FD and PS the best.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
wow i never thought of using Forward tilt! Now that I think about it, that seems like a great idea given the spacing. To ensure spacing one could even be risky enough to purposely whiff a grab then ftilt for a tipper. shroomed kind of does that with his Doc with utilt. Something will obviously miss then the utilt comes out like lightning and since he spaces it a bit and the opponent generally isn't expecting it, he never really pays from the recoil. Perhaps marth's range/recoil ratio on ftilt is such that given the right space he can do the same and utilize it in similar fashion.
I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but a really good grab mindgame is to use Z and A simultaneously when executing a running grab. It plays out the running grab animation, but shortens the range of it. Most players see the grab and will react as if it were the full range and spotdodge/roll, but you've shortened it. So not only are you spaced for tippers, but the animation edges sooner than they expected so they may even roll right into you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@PP

First thing I noticed is that every time you got a grab, you would fthrow. Make sure you're mixing up your throws for DI reasons as well as combo potential. All throw options are combo-able on peach at different percents. What was the particular reason you -always- used fthrow?

Edgeguarding - Much like the entire MU, you have to wait until Peach commits to something, or make her commit to something then punish it. Most peach's do an excellent job of hovering just outside of Marth's range when returning to the stage. Marth jumps out, then it's a gimp (i.e. your final stock on yoshi's) or they make it safely back to the stage. Peach is just like most other characters. She's got a second jump and an up-b. Yeah, that second jump may last forever, but it's still essentially the same thing. Don't forget that.

At higher percents, remember that side-b is an excellent setup for an utilt or ftilt kill. Side-b is actually an excellent move in the MU because it quickly stops turnips (you can do it while running), it pops peach up if you hit her with it (You want peach in the air as often as possible), and it's also really good as an edgeguard to either force peach to commit to something or mindgame her into something else. Dtilt works well to pop her up and edgeguard when she's near even with the stage.

Speaking of, anybody know if Peach can sweetspot from below the stage?

Apart from that, you played the MU well. Excellent job of saving your jump when recovering. Very important to do that as often as possible. Peach's love to toss turnips off stage, and having a jump allows you to get around them easily or even jump into one to smash DI it to save your life.

As far as stage choice goes. I try to limit top platform as often as possible. I like FD and PS the best.
I did other throws, but I could never get him to DI like I wanted to on Bthrow, and Dthrow never comboed so I just threw him whichever way put him closer to the edge. Fthrow in general felt better because I could chase him easier out of it since he was lower to the ground than he would be if I Dthrew him.

I didn't know side b stopped turnips.....very cool.

thanks for the advice =)

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Oh...my bad. Maybe they don't. I thought they did, but I just tested it and it looks like I was mistaken. Sorry mate. It happens.

The rest of what I said is accurate though. I'll go back and edit the original so nobody gets the wrong idea.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Nope. She definitely can NOT.
Didn't think she could, but I didn't want to give any false advice, and then I went and spouted misinformation anyway (woe is me). So yeah, what I wanted to say to that PP, is that if she drops below the stage and she's used her float she can't sweetspot, so space yourself for a dtilt or side-b. dtilt will push her away (where Armada will most likely up-b right away) and side-b will setup for a nice ftilt/fsmash.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
side B connects there? tight.

I was dtilting on that and peach can tech jump so maybe side B would be better to use if one can set it up correctly...

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
side B connects there? tight.

I was dtilting on that and peach can tech jump so maybe side B would be better to use if one can set it up correctly...
The biggest thing overall is the stay on stage and make peach commit first. I like to just short hop in place and wait for her to do something.

Sol.

Smash Rookie
PP

Another thing to consider to add to your game vs peach is to bait her when edgeguarding. Good examples of this can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9_FpxE6eY0 (0:30, 2:00, 2:58-3:07)
and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5LWuV1YcMY (2:10-2:14)

(Note, not all of the followps that armada did were necessarily the best options in these vids, but you get the point; full jump to bait her so you can followup with an utilt/f(b,n,u,d)air, grab/whatever)

I find that just keeping peach off her balance/ in the air will eventually get you the kill with an utilt/air or you can just get her offstage and prepare for some tedious+tactical edgeguarding to get the kill.

Also, try to incorporate powershielding some of those turnips as a good mixup; it could help get you out of some tight spots (i.e ifyou're cornered at the edge and she's just going to turnip spam you), and if nothing else, it'll at least annoy her enough to want to approach.

Top Bottom