• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event 52 Oct 18th-19th Kansas Results

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Why is the Cactuar/Darkrain match considered sandbagging? Is he that much better than Darkrain that he can sandbag and still win? Sandbagging is not trying, correct?

I wasn't under the impression Cactuar was even better than Darkrain at all.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Why is the Cactuar/Darkrain match considered sandbagging? Is he that much better than Darkrain that he can sandbag and still win? Sandbagging is not trying, correct?

I wasn't under the impression Cactuar was even better than Darkrain at all.
ur a poor soul ...

unknown522

Some guy
Really?? Because I had to do the exact same thing.
Hungry Box -- I'm sorry I snapped at you -- twice -- but you need to respect people's space dude. Don't touch their food and don't get in their personal space bubble and all.

And Hungry Box, dude, you have to shake people's hands after a match. You did it to me and I saw you do it to other people. No one likes to lose but it's respectful to acknowledge your opponent afterward like everybody else. Cobol and JMan are your age and they don't act like that so no age johns . . .
Hopefully next time I see you it will be on better terms.
lol, I was talking to hungrybox afterwards, making random jokes, all-nighter and stuff.

wife, we definately need to play 1v1 next time alright?

Razor

Smash Journeyman
cactuar is top five in melee. darkrain probably isn't even top ten. don't get me wrong, he's a pro, but cactus dude is amazing. the vids obviously show that.

btw the way, any finals vids? i want to see what m2k did against cactuar.

Scar

#HarveyDent
That nairshine business takes a lot of tech skill. Darkrain did not get caught in his shield many times, and when he did Cactuar really gave it to him... so I don't think he was sandbagging at all, honestly.

Vids are still coming, it takes time.

HARDGAY

Smash Rookie
I completely exhausted myself playing vs Darkrain. He ***** me round 3, so I made some adjustments and moved on. He was missing a significant number of tech chases and followups, which I have a feeling was mostly luck on my part. Darkrain is ****ing ridiculous. Also, I give Darkrain free "HOSTING THE MFING TOURNAMENT" johns. Those are completely legit, and definitely take a toll on the tournament host.

Also, I usually play better when I'm on the phone.

Edit: Cactuar is retired. I am the rebirth of Cactuar.

Uli

Smash Champion
Scar good job with the videos!
no wonder why you and wife were sitting next to the laptop you guys were commentating
good shiit!!

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
Aarolame*ss is some dude from motha' f*ckin' Timbuktu, who can't spell "Aero," with some girly-*ss emo n*ggas who try and clown, but just be whack as hell, my dudes. :laugh: Y'all nikkas that scared of ***** Scar!? Y'all best trust y'all got b*tch*ssness in ya. They on some Homo Interview with the vampire type sh*t.

lol why does this kid hate me. "Aaro" is because my actual name is "Aaron" you weirdo.

Alukard

Smash Hero
I completely exhausted myself playing vs Darkrain. He ***** me round 3, so I made some adjustments and moved on. He was missing a significant number of tech chases and followups, which I have a feeling was mostly luck on my part. Darkrain is ****ing ridiculous. Also, I give Darkrain free "HOSTING THE MFING TOURNAMENT" johns. Those are completely legit, and definitely take a toll on the tournament host.

Also, I usually play better when I'm on the phone.

Edit: Cactuar is retired. I am the rebirth of Cactuar.
yayyyyy tournament hosting johns ... i really thought people didn't believe me when i said i suck cuz i get no friendlies ... but i still manage to get 2nd in doubles alot ... *sigh* i love doubles ... almost as much as i love HARD GAYS CF =]

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
I thank everyone who attended this tournament for making it the best event that my college club has ever hosted, and probably ever will. (DuckerSmash and I are co-presidents of the JCCC Game Interest Group; we were Darkrain's connections as far as getting the venue free of charge)

The vast majority of the credit for this event belongs to the Barrio crew for planning and execution: Darkrain, Jesi, Dmac, Dyc, Phatgamer, Cups, Reezo, Z, JT (I missing anyone?) You're all good people that I knew I could trust.

Members of the college Game Interest Group club were more subtly helpful but, of course, appreciated for looking out. Jace, Stealth Raptor, Duckersmash, Ment.

Not only is this the first major SSBM tournament we've hosted... but I've never really been to one, either. A lot of things blew me away. Scar and Wife, you two especially impressed me as far as your manners; approachable and friendly. That's not to say that the entire group, as a whole, wasn't approachable and friendly. M2K, I gotta say I was hesitant after hearing things about you so I mostly just silently sat near and just watched you go. You said this was a 'pretty good' tournament, though; that means a lot to me. Everything you did, from technical precision to winning the tournament, impressed me greatly.

So the Campus newspaper photographer said that you guys were all quite nice to him, and he enjoyed the challenge of trying to get a good shot without using too many interrupting flashes in low-light situations. I wonder if I'll ever get some of his pictures to post later. I am for sure going to post the article about this event, if it ever gets published (Sure hope it gets front page; my game club seriously needs more publicitity and members) ... on that note, if my game club is still around a year from now, you all can surely expect there to be another big Melee tournament happening in that same venue.

St. Louis: Get Equipped with Bonus Sub-Note: Taking turns playing Megaman X.. lolz. That was a fun night and I enjoyed housing you. My mom noted you guys even made your beds before leaving... wow. You guys were awesome. Poor Artarian and his Austin crew didn't know what they were missing. (it was really nice of you, Wife, to tell them all to come even though you were interested in my place before them)

Razor

Smash Journeyman
^you poor soul. you must be a fool to think darkrain isn't amoung top 10 at this moment.

shrugs*. sorry dude, i don't think dark is top ten. at that point it gets really fuzzy since so many pro's just retired/stop playing consistently. the midwest especially. wtf happened to dreph, vidjo, dope, or tink? the big names of the past weren't even there.

GOTM

Smash Champion
cactuar is top five in melee. darkrain probably isn't even top ten. don't get me wrong, he's a pro, but cactus dude is amazing. the vids obviously show that.

btw the way, any finals vids? i want to see what m2k did against cactuar.
could cactus really be top 5 (active)? pc, m2k, shiz, pkm, cactuar? thats nuts

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
How about Azen, Chu, Mango, Hugs, Drephen just to name a few. Some of them dont play that much anymore but its not like they never play.

GOTM

Smash Champion
How about Azen, Chu, Mango, Hugs, Drephen just to name a few. Some of them dont play that much anymore but its not like they never play.
azen came to rutgers a little while ago and got *****, chu was declining recently as well, cactus would def. beat him right now,as would the others. hugs was never as good as any of them and never will be, and same with drephen

dmac

Smash Champion
as of right now i see m2k and then everyone else. m2k is so far ahead of EVERYONE its really really insane. arguing over 2-20 or whatever number you want is pretty pointless since it kinda just depends on whos having a good tournament and whos playin well, and i suppose who is actually practicing melee. the ex super big melee players who have only been playing brawl recently would get rocked by the big melee guys that still play and practice melee.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
as of right now i see m2k and then everyone else. m2k is so far ahead of EVERYONE its really really insane. arguing over 2-20 or whatever number you want is pretty pointless since it kinda just depends on whos having a good tournament and whos playin well, and i suppose who is actually practicing melee. the ex super big melee players who have only been playing brawl recently would get rocked by the big melee guys that still play and practice melee.
really good point. it was like that with ken for a while. i wonder if more ppl are thinking, "yeah, since all the old pro's are gone, i can maybe become a top player now" or are most ppl just like, "melee is a dying game and brawl sucks. no options."

either way, i hope there are more melee tournies going on. i thought fast 1 or the last Pound tourny was melee's last battle cry. there really is hope of the game.

JFox

Smash Hero
Guys, don't be stupid. Mango is def top 5. He is either #1 or #2 at this point, and the only reason we dont know is cuz hes on the other side of the country.

Also,PC in as active. What a joke.

Cactuar hasnt recently played enough people to say what he'd be. He's easily top 5, but its hard to say where he is in the top 5, since he doesnt play mango, shiz, etc.

D

Deleted member

Will people think I'm top 5 if I **** an easy bracket at the next tournament?

Will people think I'm #1 if I get lucky and beat m2k in single elim best of 1?

You people are way too judgmental.

Wife

Smash Lord
Ok here is why it looks like sandbagging . . . lol not because of his face.

Cactuar is beating Darkrain with tech chases and all that good stuff. No big deal. Then Darkrain pulls out this insane combo and the crowd goes wild and then he loses, yes?

Then in the 4th game, he turns it on. He broke out that nair shield destruction that he was clearly sitting on the entire time. As soon as he deployed that tactic, it was an entirely different matchup. If you look, you'll see Cactuar comes back from his first stock, then takes 3 consecutive stock without getting hit.

Much love to Darkrain, and his skill, but Cactuar seemed to be willfully dictating the pace of the matches.
I mean, you be the judge, but that's what occurred.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Ok here is why it looks like sandbagging . . . lol not because of his face.

Cactuar is beating Darkrain with tech chases and all that good stuff. No big deal. Then Darkrain pulls out this insane combo and the crowd goes wild and then he loses, yes?

Then in the 4th game, he turns it on. He broke out that nair shield destruction that he was clearly sitting on the entire time. As soon as he deployed that tactic, it was an entirely different matchup. If you look, you'll see Cactuar comes back from his first stock, then takes 3 consecutive stock without getting hit.

Much love to Darkrain, and his skill, but Cactuar seemed to be willfully dictating the pace of the matches.
I mean, you be the judge, but that's what occurred.
Wife all daaai.

I agree, it did seem like he was controlling the pace of each match. When he picked it up in that 4th match...well, the results speak for themselves.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
Jman top 5 in the world?

he has been winning every tournament hes entered

i also agree with jfox on mango (hes not #1 tho) but dare i say this ... wheres the ken love? yea hes retired but he came out real quik and won evo world ... 3 stocking a top 5 player on mangoland

but it is safe to say m2k is #1

but like umbreon kinda said ... we do always like to judge on "whos hot now"

maybe we should have the pros judge on whos best since theyre the ones playing?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Someone just throw 6 major Melee tournaments with 200+ people at each of them this summer with all the major pros atm and then we'll figure out who's hot/who's not :laugh:

HARDGAY

Smash Rookie
Evo World is not a recent event, and also had too many negative occurances to be counted as legit imo. Who did Ken even have to play against? A samus and a puff who wasn't even close to being in his prime yet? Big deal.

I have no ill will towards Ken, but he has not been near the top of the metagame for a signficant period of time now.

As for Jman, I fully believe that, given another year or so and assuming active play, Jman will be a true top top level player and might even start taking a few sets from M2K. As he is now, he still lacks a lot of experience and has a great deal to learn.

Cups

Smash Ace
NE is the only place really still having tournies, so top 5 are probably all there, every other region is too big to get good tourney turnouts.

Anyway, Darkrain and the rest of Kansas City are done with smash, we will still be having our weekly get togethers but traveling probably won't be in the future for us. Most of us are graduatiing college this year and the others (Dark, dmac, DYC, phat, Z, jesi) have been traveling since 2003. We worked really hard to get this tournament to be great, collected money steadily over like 3 months and popularized it pretty well, and we hope you enjoyed it.

I haven't played very much, only been to a handful of tournies, but from what I've seen the smash community is a very fun and nice group of people that are different from other gaming communities. I had a lot of fun and learned to play a great game with my crew mates who came to be some of my best friends. Good luck everyone in the future and keep this game alive because it is a great one.

Top Bottom