• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Election Day '08: Obama Wins, Old guy doesn't

Who are you voting for in the US Presidential Election?

• Obama Biden

Votes: 204 72.1%
  • McCain Palin

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

laki

Smash Apprentice
If I got a job, I'd be eligible for less scholarships for college. It's messed up.

Obama also said 100,000$ is upper class I believe.

It's 200k and if your in high school, having a job shouldn't affect your sholarship chances. Also provided 3.0ish GPA and willingness to spend your weekends online you can find an arbitrarily large amount of money in scholarships and grants for like anything. ANYTHING

cman

Smash Ace
The terrorists would think twice?
Let me count down the ways that this is completely arbritrary:

1) Iraq and Iran terrorists supported Obama in office. Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe because...

2) Obama is an idiot when it comes to military. He will falter under the pressure, and when something as bad as 9/11 happens, he will crack.
AND al-qaeda endorsed John McCain. SO BAM! You forgot that one didn't you??

And what makes you think he is more of an idiot that McCain? John McCain correctly supported the surge, but Obama correctly thought that Iraq would divert too many resources from Afghanistan. I call it a tie at 1-1

Omis

my friends were skinny
Obama wins, which means I don't have to work! I can suck money from all you Americans who do work!

YAY!
If you make more than 250,000 a year than it should be your moral duty to contribute to those less fortunate. The money those in the extreme bottom spectrum will only be enough to keep them on their feet. It will not give them the leisures that the upper class enjoys

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Well regardless of each persons personal beliefs on the election results, it is at least good to see so many people involved. I think I heard somewhere that this election set some kind of record for voter turnout. Even though I disagree with a lot of people here, I am still glad to see that so many people decided to take an interest this time, instead of just watching it pass by like we usually do.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
if obama gets shot in the head and lives

hes the antichrist.

just sayin
Sure, but, I have some doubts on it being Obama:

According to the beliefs of those who believe in Revelation, the Earth will be plunged in 7 years of Disaster. Currently, the only thing science has planned to do that is when the Earth, Sun, and Center of the Galaxy align, it will cause shifts in the crust (Why there's a 2012 doomsday scenario). After that, then The AntiChrist will show his not so ugly.

Oh, and Armageddon is supposed to start after the building of a third Great temple of Jerusalem. Currently, there is 0% progress and is being built at 0%. Oh, and I do not believe in Revelation (especially since Mr. 666 died already. There were fears among Early Christians that Emperor Nero didn't die in 66AD [he committed suicide then])

Omis

my friends were skinny
Well regardless of each persons personal beliefs on the election results, it is at least good to see so many people involved. I think I heard somewhere that this election set some kind of record for voter turnout. Even though I disagree with a lot of people here, I am still glad to see that so many people decided to take an interest this time, instead of just watching it pass by like we usually do.
This man truly understands the magic that occurred tonight.

M.K

Level 55
If you make more than 250,000 a year than it should be your moral duty to contribute to those less fortunate. The money those in the extreme bottom spectrum will only be enough to keep them on their feet. It will not give them the leisures that the upper class enjoys
So, I should give my hard-earned money to the people who are too lazy to get jobs and work for a decent living?
I don't think so.

Omis

my friends were skinny
So, I should give my hard-earned money to the people who are to lazy to get jobs and work for a decent living?
I don't think so.
Being born in the slums of a city with little to no chances at greatness is not being lazy; it is simply being unlucky If you had been born in Indian poverty you would have a different opinion.

cman

Smash Ace
Respond to this please.

AND al-qaeda endorsed John McCain. SO BAM! You forgot that one didn't you??

And what makes you think he is more of an idiot that McCain? John McCain correctly supported the surge, but Obama correctly thought that Iraq would divert too many resources from Afghanistan. I call it a tie at 1-1

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The terrorists would think twice?
Let me count down the ways that this is completely arbritrary:

1) Iraq and Iran terrorists supported Obama in office. Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe because...

2) Obama is an idiot when it comes to military. He will falter under the pressure, and when something as bad as 9/11 happens, he will crack.
Or 3) Because he's black (yes, I'm dabbling in the asumption that terrorists are racist, which lets face it, is fairly accurate)

Actually now I rethink it, that comment I made was just flat out stupid. They won't care either way

ExplodingMan

Smash Journeyman
however, what about all the people who DO work hard, but hteir job doesnt pay enough and they cant afford to quit? they deserve to keep from going into poverty. and all the rich people and corporations who already have too much money deserve to be taxed more. Who needs a fancy clothing set for every day of the year? wear everything MORE than once celebrities!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
So, I should give my hard-earned money to the people who are to lazy to get jobs and work for a decent living?
I don't think so.
Whoa whoa whoa! Not every impoverished person is so because they are lazy. I'm sure there are people who go through tough times but are simply unable to find/keep jobs to support not only themselves but other family members... You don't know their situation. How could you even make a claim like that?

M.K

Level 55
Being born in the slums of a city with little to no chances at greatness is not being lazy; it is simply being unlucky If you had been born in Indian poverty you would have a different opinion.
Everyone has the equal chance of being great by themselves. That is the point of America.
Go watch "Pursuit of Happiness" and get back to me on that.
That is not the reason that someone who has worked hard in any condition should give up their money, not in today's economy.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Everyone has the equal chance of being great by themselves. That is the point of America.
That is not the reason that someone who has worked hard in any condition should give up their money, not in today's economy.
I have watched the movie and that has influenced me to believe the way I do.
Not every rich person has worked hard for their money. So many rich people got in from inheritance not work.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
How's that Kool-Aid taste, folks? Say hello to four years of government diaper changing.

Neon Ness

Why should anyone be taxed even more just because they happen to have made more money and did better?
Probably because while a homeless person is dying of starvation in an alley someone in the upper crust is buying their dog 3 Escalades.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Everyone has the equal chance of being great by themselves.
Even when you're too poor to afford schooling? even if all the businesses anywhere near you can't afford to hire anyone else? Even if you can't afford to move somewhere where ther's more education and job prospects?

Denzi

Smash Master
Why should anyone be taxed even more just because they happen to have made more money and did better?
Don't forget situation.
Ex. A family with one kid getting the same taxes as one with 8 kids just because they earn the same amount is just not fair.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Then again, not everybody is as smart as Chris Gardner. Actually, hardly anybody is.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
Probably because while a homeless person is dying of starvation in an alley someone in the upper crust is buying their dog 3 Escalades.
It comes down to values. In simplification, whether you care about other people, or not.

cman

Smash Ace
Of course they would support the one who they didn't want...

It's called reverse psychology...

If your enemy supported someone, would you like them?
He was saying that terrorists in Iran and Iraq supported Obama. So, by your logic, Obama was the right choice anyway because the terrorists in Iran/q don't want him.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
If that is the right thing to do, then why the government just tax everyone so that we keep (or earn after taxes) the same flat rate? If you support rich people giving money to people less fortunate surely you would give your own money.

Neon Ness

No it doesn't, you are just greedy and depressed because you don't have that much money
OK, make sense or I'm gonna tackle you.

How does making less money equal greediness!? Your response was incongruous to the statement.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
however, what about all the people who DO work hard, but their job doesnt pay enough and they cant afford to quit? they deserve to keep from going into poverty. and all the rich people and corporations who already have too much money deserve to be taxed more.
Maybe if we don't tax the rich people so much then they could raise the poor people's wages / provide more people with jobs.

Who needs a fancy clothing set for every day of the year? wear everything MORE than once celebrities!
If the rich people want to waste their money that's their loss, it doesn't affect the poor (aside from providing the companies that make the designer cloths with more money so they can raise the wages of their / employ more poor employees).

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Laki:
^$120,000 a year is not being broke. if youre broke youre mom is lying to you about how much she makes.
I'm not saying I'm broke. I'm saying that my mom makes a net result of 0 when she works. I looked at the tax records. She brings home 40,000. 37,000 is used to pay debts/prevent us from getting into more debt (ie pay the credit cards immediately). 3,000 is for saving college money.

I'm not saying I'm starving it's just that I don't think I'd have any money saved for college if there were any more taxes. I'm already planning on going to a local community college even though I can get accepted into much better colleges.

Sources on all this stuff??
Do I really have to explain? I kinda did my own research for this stuff. It's pretty obvious when you think about it. There's a limit to everything, including natural resources. What happens if there's no wind? Clouds don't move. It's not like there's an unlimited of wind going into one air. I'm not saying that we'll run out of wind or something. Just that areas where wind used to travel freely will slow down that wind changing the climate.

Hydroelectric plants always affect how rivers run. It flooded an entire valley in Egypt when they built one (that came from the History Channel). Nuclear Fusion I'm iffy about since I don't think some physicists can be reliable (personal viewpoint). Imagine if something that had the energy of the sun went boom on the earth.

Solar energy works by absorbing the power of the sun. It isn't reflecting any of that energy back into the atmosphere. Imagine if we started sucking away at the heat in our atmosphere. It's exactly what the inundation of carbon emissions is doing.

The geothermal thing I got from something we watched in earth science in 7th grade.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OK, make sense or I'm gonna tackle you.

How does making less money equal greediness!? Your response was incongruous to the statement.
You know what, I really shouldn't be talking about the election, that I didn't support EITHER candidate when I am pissed about something else at the same time...

so whatever, it doesn't matter to me anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom