• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down tilt lock trick

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I figured this out a long time ago but never posted it but thought it was pretty cool

If you down tilt lock them, at low and mid %, you barely have enough time to roll behind them and down tilt lock the other direction. This doesn't work past like idk 60% or so

edit - if opponent DIs the down tilt lock it only works to like 30% or so pretty useless. Still cool though. I guess you can trick people that are expecting down smash at the ledge, and instead do roll + down tilts across the other side of the stage?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Does it work on all characters or just a specific weight class?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
How about D-tilt lock to wavedash, to reverse D-tilt. Oh, this is brawl... thats why.

By the way I find it easy to D-tilt wall infinite by hitting them with dash attack, it knocks the opponent forward at low % and positions MK near the wall for an easy wall set up infinite.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
How about D-tilt lock to wavedash, to reverse D-tilt. Oh, this is brawl... thats why.
Lol so little of this quote makes sense.
By the way I find it easy to D-tilt wall infinite by hitting them with dash attack, it knocks the opponent forward at low % and positions MK near the wall for an easy wall set up infinite.
Really? Now all we need is a stage that allows a wall infinite to suddenly be tournament legal and we're in business! :chuckle: Not to belittle your tip; it is still good to know.

Edit: I just now realized why M2K usually has dtilt->reverse dtilt in his between-stock "keeping-warm" regimen. Practicing this technique has shown me that it takes more precision than I realized to input dtilts in alternating directions, unless my controller is just jank.

Staco

Smash Champion
Shiek and Falco could set it up very easy for you in teams.
But I would better team with a Snake than doing this.

DThrow (maybe also B and FThrow?) to Footstool to Lock should also be legit. ;)

And I think MK got some Uair to Uair to Footstool to Nair setup thing.
I dont know if it works with your enemy using DI and after doing it your allready close to >30%.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Cool beans M2K. The only real setup to Dtilt lock against someone who isn't being lazy is knocking them off a platform while they're shielding (they go into the air rolling animation and bounce on the ground) but they can even get out of that by jumping (attacking?) so its not likely to happen.

Still way too good though.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Deoxys, hitting them with down tilt, even if it trips them (like 1/3 chance), does not start a down tilt lock. He has no good down tilt lock set ups really, you just have to get lucky. Maybe teams?? lol
Oh, I see. So it's not a worthy trade-off to use dtilt if it's close enough for something like nair or a grab to work....

DThrow (maybe also B and FThrow?) to Footstool to Lock should also be legit. ;)

And I think MK got some Uair to Uair to Footstool to Nair setup thing.
Huh? Footstool sends MK pretty high, are you sure he can get back to the ground for a lock in time? Or are you talking about in teams?

Staco

Smash Champion
When you stand next to Snake (dunno on which other chars this works) you can short hop uair to rejump uair to footstool (the small short hop foostool, not the big one, there are two different footstool heighs) to nair.
The nair (2nd hits) makes the first lock hit and gives you enough time to insert a DTilt.

I cant find the video. Its very hard to get the footstool.

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
theres dtilt lock that works on snake at 0-5%.

works when ur back is facing snake, you short hop dair, then uair before mk lands, then full hop uair then double jump footstool him, then fastfall nair on his body when it hits the floor then u commence the dtilt lock. i think it also works on rob

Staco

Smash Champion

works when ur back is facing snake, you short hop dair, then uair before mk lands, then full hop uair then double jump footstool him, then fastfall nair on his body when it hits the floor then u commence the dtilt lock. i think it also works on rob
vs. DDD you can do:
Uair while landing to short hop uair to rejump footstool to fast falled nair, then lock

TheMike

Smash Lord

What doesn't work on ROB?? lol

/topic

which is the best follow up for the lock? And btw, nice thing m2k =)

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
vs. DDD you can do:
Uair while landing to short hop uair to rejump footstool to fast falled nair, then lock
you can also do the same vs snake, and other 'taller" characters but its kinda hard to land an uair that close to the ground :(

Staco

Smash Champion
On DK you can do single short hop uair to footstool, lmao.

But I prefer uair to tornado/nair follow ups (50+ damage), instead of the lock. ^^

Hype

Smash Lord
You can do a semi-charged Fsmash at the edge of a Dtilt lock instead of Dsmash (they have a period of invincibility in the middle of the get up animation so it has to be charged a bit)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
where are u guys downtlit locking? like when they hit the ground with no tech?
i thought u could only do it against a wall

Top Bottom