• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Zelda >>> Singles Zelda.

JuJux

Smash Apprentice
Since I lost against Charby's MK at BNI3, who ended up spamming Nado like hell,
I've been looking for so many ways to counter the tornado, whether MK is coming from above, from below, etc...
In the end, I'm happy to see that Zelda has really good options against it :

- We all know that Fsmash and Ftilt can beat Nadoes but it requires a REALLY strict timing for it to hit correctly, in fact most of the time Fsmash and Nado both will hit at the same time, which makes you deal only 1% to MK and prevents you from landing any other hits.
On top of that, MK can predict it because of its strict timing and you might get punished if during his nado he waits for the Fsmash or Ftilt to end..
Some other moves such as grabs or utilts can counter Nado but here again it's not worth it : it's much too hard to do and it's too easy to punish.
Dash attacks and Din are both good ways to counter Nado but only during its first frames (Or, in Din's case, when it explodes above Nado. Still Din is too slow at middle/close range)

- However, 3 other moves deal more easily with nadoes than Fsmash/Ftilts : Usmash, Dtilt and Dsmash. Here the timing is 15 times easier, but it all depends on how MK is approaching with his nado, if he's coming from above or at ground level. Even if Usmash is slow, if you perform a hyphen Usmash there is really no problem. It always beats approaches from above, which is a good opportunity to take a stock off MK.
Down smashes counter approaches from below but the timing is not as easy as with Down tilts. However, Down tilts don't hit MK, they merely cancel Tornado, which allows you to grab him or to lock him with more down tilts (depending on some factors). You can use mindgames and force MK to use Nado from above or from below :
when he has about 100%, MK wants to avoid getting hit by Up smashes, so most of the time he'll use his nadoes at ground level : get ready to use down smashes.
Conversely, when you see he's using Nado at 100% or more, just crouch : usually when MK sees you're crouching, he's going to try to come from above,
so perform a hyphen Usmash (away from him) at the last moment.

- BUT, the BEST way to deal with nado IS *....drum rolls....* Jaaaaab .. (omg it sounds funny ...) "Omg wtf Jab ... you mad JuJux ..." NO I'M FUC*ING SERIOUS @_@ .... The timing is NOT hard, you can punish both approaches, it has good range and priority, you CAN'T be punished if he tries to take advantage with his nado of Jab's few cooldown frames (you can shield or even punish it with buffered hyphen up smashes or buffered up tilts, using mindgames) and besides, it paves the way for COMBOS !! Don't forget you have some combo tools with jab at middle/low%. But if both jab and nado hit at the same time, you have a GUARANTEED combo at any % since MK remains EXACTLY where he was hit, the only difference being that he is more stunned than you are !! You can combo with Buffered QDA / Hyphen Up smashes / other jabs (lol) or, thanks to MK's bad air speed, you can perform Fsmashes, grabs, ect.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Also... I know this seems random, but I have definitely managed to nair when inside the nado. Seems incredibly random but normally I mash buttons and she sometimes nairs through, other times she'll just pop out. Anyone know anything more about this?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Din's does beat nado sometimes. I dunno if it had to do with slots or what (slot priority is one of those things I never bothered to learn about x.x!).... I couldn't see any obvious pattern to when it stopped nado and when it didn't.
Yeah, MK's tornado has a varying priority throughout the attack. There doesn't seem to be any kind of logical reason or explanation for this whatsoever, and the priority does seem to be decided by pure chance. Also, what JuJux said: exploding Din above the tornado can help it bypass tornado's hitboxes and hit MK.

The timing is NOT hard, you can punish both approaches, it has good range and priority
I agree, despite being nearly as slow on startup as Ftilt jab's definitely easier to time since Zelda doesn't move while doing it. It also has a nice disjointed hitbox, so I can definitely see jab working well.

Also... I know this seems random, but I have definitely managed to nair when inside the nado. Seems incredibly random but normally I mash buttons and she sometimes nairs through, other times she'll just pop out. Anyone know anything more about this?
Tornado's hitboxes don't fully cover the move, like shown in this video. There's actually plenty of room between them, so it's possible to stay in these "empty" parts of the move until hitstun wears off and you can attack. This is extremely hard, in fact practically impossible, to do on purpose though.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but based on Falco BR, Falco can Usmash OOS while being tornadoed. If this is true then the same applies to Zelda since her Usmash is faster on startup than Falco's. This would also probably mean that Tornado's hitboxes are not really continuous like in the video I posted, but instead flicker on and off continuously like previously thought.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
- BUT, the BEST way to deal with nado IS *....drum rolls....* Jaaaaab .. (omg it sounds funny ...) "Omg wtf Jab ... you mad JuJux ..." NO I'M FUC*ING SERIOUS @_@ .... The timing is NOT hard, you can punish both approaches, it has good range and priority, you CAN'T be punished if he tries to take advantage with his nado of Jab's few cooldown frames (you can shield or even punish it with buffered hyphen up smashes or buffered up tilts, using mindgames) and besides, it paves the way for COMBOS !! Don't forget you have some combo tools with jab at middle/low%. But if both jab and nado hit at the same time, you have a GUARANTEED combo at any % since MK remains EXACTLY where he was hit, the only difference being that he is more stunned than you are !! You can combo with Buffered QDA / Hyphen Up smashes / other jabs (lol) or, thanks to MK's bad air speed, you can perform Fsmashes, grabs, ect.
The other stuff I knew, but THIS!!!

Never tried jabbing nado.... always assumed it would be harder to space than fsmash since even fsmash can be weird sometimes. Thanks for the tip, JuJux.

This would also probably mean that Tornado's hitboxes are not really continuous like in the video I posted, but instead flicker on and off continuously like previously thought.
o.o I thought this was common knowledge. It's like any other multihit move.... the hitboxes aren't out on every frame, although Falco being able to usmash it OOS is pretty crazy. I can't even wrap my head around how that's possible, because I don't think the gap between nado's hitboxes is that large. @.@

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I realized something simple and obvious but very helpful the other day: in doubles, one should always play Zelda as if you're on your last stock, even if you have three left.

Also: G&W isn't that bad in doubles. I is getting used to it. =D

..........Just trying to start some discussion around here. It's so quiet. :urg:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I realized something simple and obvious but very helpful the other day: in doubles, one should always play Zelda as if you're on your last stock, even if you have three left.

Also: G&W isn't that bad in doubles. I is getting used to it. =D

..........Just trying to start some discussion around here. It's so quiet. :urg:
I completely agree with you lol. That's why I often stock tank for my team and why if you watch me play I still shake my head in shame when I lose my first stalk (Even if everyone else is on there last).

On a doubles note, I should still have some vids coming up soon... for both the CV and for the video thread of singles and doubles. I just have to find some **** free time.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
That's why I often stock tank for my team and why if you watch me play I still shake my head in shame when I lose my first stalk (Even if everyone else is on there last).
Hehe, I feel the exact same way. If my partner dies and I don't have an extra stock for them, I consider that the ultimate dubs failure.

Can't wait to see your vids!

MrEh

Smash Hero
Playing Zelda as if you're on your last stock? As in conservative or extremely aggressive?

It differs from player to player. Not exactly applicable to everyone.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
As in, don't get hit and definitely don't die. Doesn't matter how you do it as long as you're careful.

I can't think of any (effective) team where Zelda is the aggressor..... except maybe in LT doubles, but I play her in regular dubs, so that's what I'm talking about. Zelda is pretty much exclusively the stock tank/supporter, so your job is to camp, kill, evade, stay alive, and have extra stocks for your teammate if they die.

If I'm playing my best, I end the match with two stocks -- after I've been share-stocked. Imo, that's the most effective way to play Zelda in doubles.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Double Zelda does not have an aggressor. One camping multi-hit smashes and the other dins camping behind.

Wall of Princess.

(Also, Dins juggling someone to their death off the top is awesome)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
That **** woulda definitely happened if MLG hadn't clarified on dubs rules.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I got tons more dubz vids up on my Youtube now. I even put up a video of my Falcon, who is awesome. I have more... but I am lazy. I even have like one more singles vid to put up.

Our dubz strat hasn't changed much, same technique. I would like to come up with some strategies for when we are being overwhelmed, but hopefully they will just come in time.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Falcon/Zelda

Zelda down tilt = Falcon Punch
GG.

I will post vids xD

Also it amazes me how she doesn't get hit with the punch either. Either my teammate spaces really well or Zelda is able to 'duck' during her down tilt and be right beneath the head of the falcon. Of course, up close this wouldn't work, lol.

Also, Zelda's down tilt is amazing with other team followups, such as Snake's fsmash, Snake's up tilt (the latter being safer as it's easier for Snake to avoid hitting you), and just a bit of more fun... Zelda's dilt! Yes, two Zelda d-tilts, trap them between. Amazing.

Double D-tilt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCWfNEA6voU
D-tilt + Falcon Punch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKzUdIZ_G6I
D-tilt + Snake f-smash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQVJDHOzUn8

---

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have quite a few dubs vids to share once ENNH (or HSS if ENNH can't do them) finishes recording. =3

Been landing more LKs lately...... feels good.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I have quite a few dubs vids to share once ENNH (or HSS if ENNH can't do them) finishes recording. =3

Been landing more LKs lately...... feels good.
This is what we Zelda's feel everyday of our lives. Lightning Legs is something we, or rather I, take pride in. :D

Top Bottom