• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Zelda >>> Singles Zelda.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Wario forces Zelda to engage the opponents a lot more because he is a defensive run away character.

Falco is a spammy offensive character that can stop approaches and get opponents to eat dins. He's also one of the top characters in the game like Wario, but I don't see how Wario bouncing up and around Zelda is helping her.

I am not doubting that Wario could be good in teams, but teaming Zelda with another defensive character can cause problems.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wario forces Zelda to engage the opponents a lot more because he is a defensive run away character.

Falco is a spammy offensive character that can stop approaches and get opponents to eat dins. He's also one of the top characters in the game like Wario, but I don't see how Wario bouncing up and around Zelda is helping her.

I am not doubting that Wario could be good in teams, but teaming Zelda with another defensive character can cause problems.
Falco isn't defensive? Outside of camping lasers he doesn't offer anything. Those are pretty limited if you ask me. Wario can be aggro also. He isn't limited to just playing defenesively. He's an extremely versatile character.

Bandit

Smash Lord
You can think whatever you want, but your sig tells me you're bias towards Wario. That's fine. I team with a Falco and it works beautifully. I wasn't pushing Falco but you called him out, so I'll defend my opinion.

All you have said is "Wario is versatile" or "Wario is a good teammate" but I don't get why. Give me examples, videos, something. I want to believe you, but my opinion is on the other side right now. I have Falco videos I can give you but they are Brawl+ (which is all I play now... but I still know Brawl).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You can think whatever you want, but your sig tells me you're bias towards Wario. That's fine. I team with a Falco and it works beautifully. I wasn't pushing Falco but you called him out, so I'll defend my opinion.

All you have said is "Wario is versatile" or "Wario is a good teammate" but I don't get why. Give me examples, videos, something. I want to believe you, but my opinion is on the other side right now. I have Falco videos I can give you but they are Brawl+ (which is all I play now... but I still know Brawl).
team with a Wario and you'll see why it's good. I also said he can play off your moves easily.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ksizl is using Wario in teams against Ally and M2K if you wanna see how Wario does in teams. Its the Pound 4 livestreams

Bandit

Smash Lord
It's not how Wario does in teams; it is how Wario does teams with Zelda. She is unique to teams and plays them like no other character.

AL, I am just going to ignore the Wario stuff from now on. Generalities do nothing for me.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I'm gonna say that Wario is indeed a run away character. *Points to DMG* His best feature in his metagame is to run away and punish.

Wario is a good choice but you have to think about his metagame. I don't need to explain to you AL what his game is seeing how you play the character.

Falco is ok in Teams but not anywhere near as good as Gdubs, Sonic, Snake, or MK as a teammate. Lasers are kinda iffy cause they can save you coming back but could hurt you on the stage.

I dunno I personally think MK/Snake is the best choice to have as a teammate as a Zelda main.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I dunno I personally think MK/Snake is the best choice to have as a teammate as a Zelda main.
I agree with that, but it might be able to be said about any character in the game. They are just that good.

But in reality, they cover her match-ups and allow her to use dins more effectively. MK can tornado the opponents while Zelda dins them. The dins gets canceled by MK and hits the opponents only. Thank Snakeee for that information.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I can't see Wario being a good teammate. His whole game is peck and run, peck and run...
Wario is one of the most effective teammates in the entire game. He's extremely maneuverable, which is good for avoiding all the crap going on. He also erases stocks like no other, since the waft is ridiculous is doubles. (as is his other attacks) Many characters with outrageous power are much better in a 2v2 environment, simply because their high-knockback attacks are that much harder to avoid when you have a partner. Game and Watch is the prime example of this, and Wario is no exception. An attack that kills at 60% and comes out in like, 5 frames is no freaking joke.

But in reality, they cover her match-ups and allow her to use dins more effectively. MK can tornado the opponents while Zelda dins them. The dins gets canceled by MK and hits the opponents only. Thank Snakeee for that information.
If you actually have time to pull this off during a match, that means that you're probably on a 2v1 situation. That strategy is mentioned a lot, but is too slow to even get going in the midst of a match. Just because something works doesn't mean it's good, or even worth mentioning. It's cute, but it doesn't make Zelda/MK any better of a team. Zelda is essentially dead weight to MK, or any high tier character.

Bandit

Smash Lord
If you truly believe that last sentence, then you have never seen a high level Zelda at work in teams. I know that's a lie since you and DM are in the same region and know each other.

Zelda is a top 10 character in teams. Singles... different story.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
If you truly believe that last sentence, then you have never seen a high level Zelda at work in teams. I know that's a lie since you and DM are in the same region and know each other.

Umm....he does have the best Zelda in the nation as his neighbor. =/

I'm almost curtain that DM, if he does play teams, plays with LT, WAR, and other top Hawaii players.

Bandit

Smash Lord
lol, read the next sentence after the one you highlighted. I actually said what you said.

DM was able to play with PC Chris one tournament and they didn't drop a game (according to the legend).

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Oh wow, edit fail.

But yeah, despite what Eh is talking about here, he does know his stuff about Zelda and the in and outs of her BECAUSE he plays and watch's DM play all the time. :X

Bandit

Smash Lord
Latest Brawl+ Team vidz with my partner. I have a full set from 2 months ago. It's not the best representation of our style, but it's there if you want it. I had just come back from a month or two off the game, so I was a bit of a team killer in this set. I can't wait until the next tournament because he'll finally be back from South America and we can resume what we started.

Brawl+ 5.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-T1fGzqoZg (Guy had faced us "Team Spam" before and challenged us to FD first match, we accepted)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUS18Ubj7kk&NR=1 (epic ending!... Guy either gets dins juggled to his death or screws up his UpB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdeXP-bEHLA&NR=1 (Zelda is beast... even to her teammate)

There's more videos there. Some of us sucking and others of us doing rather well. This was probably the most entertaining set with the closest thing to the most recent set list (it wasn't... I think it was 5.0 which was buhhhhh)

This is Brawl+ 6.0 teams: These are with Count Kaiser who was filling in for my usual teammate. I had another set, but it is pure **** fest. We hit the wall and my partner's inexperience vs Jiggs was exposed (rest killed him 3 times in the match....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p98ejk1IIw Game 3 vs Chibo & Mexi (I wish I had the other 2, but the replay code failed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3pJDYcyyXk Game 1 vs Blackanese & Guru (These guys are very good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Cs57k4bqE Game 2 vs Blackanese & Guru (See above)

-----

@GreyFox - I know he knows Zelda, but he usually speaks negatively of her as if she's a worthless character. She's just not as "easy" to play competitively.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda is better in doubles, but saying she's top 10 is laughable.

I know that's a lie since you and DM are in the same region and know each other. DM was able to play with PC Chris one tournament and they didn't drop a game (according to the legend).
That was HSI 08. DM and PC Chris happen to be very intelligent players. They won because they played well. Just because they won with Zelda in their team doesn't mean that Zelda is good in doubles. Also take note that this is Hawaii. Just because Zelda wins a tournament here doesn't mean that Zelda is actually good. Although winning a tournament with Zelda here is still ****ed impressive, since Zelda is just that bad of a character.

Umm....he does have the best Zelda in the nation as his neighbor. =/
trufax

@GreyFox - I know he knows Zelda, but he usually speaks negatively of her as if she's a worthless character. She's just not as "easy" to play competitively.
In all seriousness, Zelda is a pretty worthless character. From a competitive standpoint, every character below B tier isn't really viable in tournament play. Even then, it's almost always the S tiers that win tournaments.

I'm not being a pessimist, I'm being a realist. Fighting games are not created fairly.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I actually agree that Zelda sucks, Hawaii sucks, and Zelda in doubles sucks. Characters better than her in doubles would include:

MK
Snake
Wario
Lucario
G&W
ZSS
Ness
Lucas
Falco
DDD
Amongst others.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I actually agree that Zelda sucks, Hawaii sucks, and Zelda in doubles sucks. Characters better than her in doubles would include:

MK
Snake

Wario
Lucario
G&W
ZSS
Ness
Lucas
Falco
DDD
Amongst others.
Red: Lol.
Blue: Hater
Yellow: Mmmm....I half agree with this.
Green: Everything else you listed means nothing after Snake and MK.

Snakeee

Smash Master
If you actually have time to pull this off during a match, that means that you're probably on a 2v1 situation. That strategy is mentioned a lot, but is too slow to even get going in the midst of a match. Just because something works doesn't mean it's good, or even worth mentioning. It's cute, but it doesn't make Zelda/MK any better of a team. Zelda is essentially dead weight to MK, or any high tier character.
It's usually something I would like to do on a stage where I can get the space to do so. Camping Smashville's platform is the ideal situation for this one. I would never use Zelda outside of low tier/ low tier teams of course anymore though.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Too lazy to retype all this:

Back from Pound, tired as ****.

Tourney was fun. I met a whooooole lot of people I've known on the boards for a while, so it was great to finally see them in person. I'm sad more Pikas didn't show, though..... just me, Kenny, and Kyoshi.

I only did doubles (teamed with TUSM). Went Pika for two matches total: one win, one loss. Rest of the time I went Zelda, which was a stupid move competitively but reaaaaaaally ****ing great fun-wise.

Won vs. some random team (2-0)
Lost vs. Excel Zero + LingLing (0-2)
Won vs. another random team (2-0)
Lost vs. Kenny + NKB (0-2)

Even though we didn't place spectacularly, I had so much fun doing doubles -- in tourney and in lots of friendlies. Sucks that this thread doesn't count them, because I really think I'm gonna find a long term teammate and stick to doubles exclusively for a while. Singles is boring to me now. :urg:
Random notes: Excel and LingLing were just a better team than us, plain and simple. In 1v1 situations they weren't so bad, but their positioning and team combos were ****ing crazy.... getting hit once meant getting hit 2-3 times between the both of them.

Kenny and NKB kind of nullified our team strategy solely (on my end, at least) because of Fox's speed + usmash. @.@ I couldn't camp/stock tank effectively because Fox was constantly on my ***, and since Zelda's so laggy..... even little mistakes would get me killed extremely early. :( Boo.

Had a lot of fun, though, and even though I might've done better with Pika, I'm sticking with Zelda in doubles. I just enjoy it too much even when I lose, lol.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

MK
Snake
Wario
Lucario
G&W
ZSS
Ness
Lucas
Falco
DDD
Amongst others.
I bet you wouldn't top 8 in Hawaii.

I'm gonna say that Wario is indeed a run away character. *Points to DMG* His best feature in his metagame is to run away and punish.

Wario is a good choice but you have to think about his metagame. I don't need to explain to you AL what his game is seeing how you play the character.

Falco is ok in Teams but not anywhere near as good as Gdubs, Sonic, Snake, or MK as a teammate. Lasers are kinda iffy cause they can save you coming back but could hurt you on the stage.

DMG is just one Wario though. Yes he is able to run away and DMG has gotten a lot of success that way. Watch a Malcolm Bassem PX or a Blue Rogue video. There are some runaway Wario just like there are aggro Warios.

Latest Brawl+ Team vidz with my partner. I have a full set from 2 months ago. It's not the best representation of our style, but it's there if you want it. I had just come back from a month or two off the game, so I was a bit of a team killer in this set. I can't wait until the next tournament because he'll finally be back from South America and we can resume what we started.

Brawl+ 5.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-T1fGzqoZg (Guy had faced us "Team Spam" before and challenged us to FD first match, we accepted)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUS18Ubj7kk&NR=1 (epic ending!... Guy either gets dins juggled to his death or screws up his UpB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdeXP-bEHLA&NR=1 (Zelda is beast... even to her teammate)

There's more videos there. Some of us sucking and others of us doing rather well. This was probably the most entertaining set with the closest thing to the most recent set list (it wasn't... I think it was 5.0 which was buhhhhh)

This is Brawl+ 6.0 teams: These are with Count Kaiser who was filling in for my usual teammate. I had another set, but it is pure **** fest. We hit the wall and my partner's inexperience vs Jiggs was exposed (rest killed him 3 times in the match....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p98ejk1IIw Game 3 vs Chibo & Mexi (I wish I had the other 2, but the replay code failed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3pJDYcyyXk Game 1 vs Blackanese & Guru (These guys are very good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Cs57k4bqE Game 2 vs Blackanese & Guru (See above)

-----
Not for nothing but that's all Brawl+ vids. I don't know what changes they've made or any of the sorts but I don't think you can use that to back your claims or prove your point.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I said at the beginning of the post that it was Brawl+ vidz.

I never said it was for my argument. I'm done arguing with you since you give me nothing, remember? (you don't)

I was simply sharing some more recent vidz. I play teams the exact same way in Brawl+ as I did in Brawl.

Any person who doesn't realize how good Zelda is in teams is naive and short sighted.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I said at the beginning of the post that it was Brawl+ vidz.

I never said it was for my argument. I'm done arguing with you since you give me nothing, remember? (you don't)

I was simply sharing some more recent vidz. I play teams the exact same way in Brawl+ as I did in Brawl.

Any person who doesn't realize how good Zelda is in teams is naive and short sighted.
I'll agree with this Zelda is good in teams it's just falco who blows in teams.

Bandit

Smash Lord
DEHF and Havok were able to get top 10 in teams in Pound 4 with an MK & Falco team. They were even DQ'd out of their first round and had to go completely through the loser's bracket to get there. I'm sure they'd have placed higher if they weren't DQ'd (they didn't report in time).

That's my only argument to Falco being good in teams. You can argue with Falcos over it.

As far as Zelda teaming with one, he covers weakness of spammy projectile characters and does well enough vs Snake and MK to take pressure off of her.

If Falco starts lasering you in the back, it's because you are suppose to be behind him and it is purely your fault.

In the end, your opinion is just your opinion and my opinion is just my opinion.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ya they were whooping on Yaz and X at R3 and those two are really good. I think Ness in general is a really good teams character to begin with.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
DEHF and Havok were able to get top 10 in teams in Pound 4 with an MK & Falco team. They were even DQ'd out of their first round and had to go completely through the loser's bracket to get there. I'm sure they'd have placed higher if they weren't DQ'd (they didn't report in time).

That's my only argument to Falco being good in teams. You can argue with Falcos over it.

As far as Zelda teaming with one, he covers weakness of spammy projectile characters and does well enough vs Snake and MK to take pressure off of her.

If Falco starts lasering you in the back, it's because you are suppose to be behind him and it is purely your fault.

In the end, your opinion is just your opinion and my opinion is just my opinion.
So top ten in one tourney is enough to justify Falco being considered good? I hate to see Wario's dubz tourney results. LoL.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
SK92 and DEHF get top 10 in teams in any tournament they enter......I don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

Bandit

Smash Lord
So top ten in one tourney is enough to justify Falco being considered good? I hate to see Wario's dubz tourney results. LoL.
You're just an idiot.

Wario is fine in teams; my argument was that he wouldn't mesh with Zelda's style of play. This is far more important than if they team with any random character. She is defensive, so if her partner is also defensive, then they could run into problems. If you had experience teaming with a Wario or teaming with a Zelda as Wario, then you could actually speak to how well the team would work. If you haven't, then I'm just going to hit the ignore button since you obviously are a biased theory crafter.

-----

@Mars - I teamed with a Lucas/Ness main for awhile. It worked well when we were on, but our success always depended on his ability to not be gimped. Both of them become tanks when mixed with dins and have great killing ability.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda/Ness and Zelda/Lucas are actually good
in low tiers.

my argument was that he wouldn't mesh with Zelda's style of play.
To be fair, the only characters that "mesh" with Zelda's style of play are low tiers. That's because they have the same style of play: losing.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Too lazy to retype all this:

Random notes: Excel and LingLing were just a better team than us, plain and simple. In 1v1 situations they weren't so bad, but their positioning and team combos were ****ing crazy.... getting hit once meant getting hit 2-3 times between the both of them.

Kenny and NKB kind of nullified our team strategy solely (on my end, at least) because of Fox's speed + usmash. @.@ I couldn't camp/stock tank effectively because Fox was constantly on my ***, and since Zelda's so laggy..... even little mistakes would get me killed extremely early. :( Boo.

Had a lot of fun, though, and even though I might've done better with Pika, I'm sticking with Zelda in doubles. I just enjoy it too much even when I lose, lol.
This.

All that means is that you have to be on your toes and push the opponent off stage to get to the other side. Though I have yet to play a good, or any, Fox so my thoughts is only theory's.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's all good. We went even with them in friendlies, but when it got to tournament, they were just that little bit better than us. I really think it would've gone to third game if I'd stayed Pika (first match, TUSM and I both played our first stocks really badly), because with Zelda, my mistakes were so much easier to punish..... but I wanted to go Zelda. *shrug*

I just gotta step my game up next time and find a partner I can practice/compete with regularly.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Just do what you gotta do to win. If you feel Zelda is a better option than Pika, then by all means.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Do what you want, just make sure you love doing it. :D
Aww that's the nicest thing MrEh has ever said to anyone!!! :bee:

btw, APEX is coming up. I am preparing my darndest to go. I would love for Hawaii to be there! It would be sick if two Zelda's (magically) made it out of pools at such a huge event. Or at least have a Zelda to root for once I supa-fail. :chuckle:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm like 15-20 minutes from Apex went there last year didn't make it out of pools was a lot of fun.

@ Riot APEX is in August......

@ Bandit That's why I said Wario is an extremely versatile character who can adjust to anyone's playstyle.

Top Bottom