• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Approach: Melee's Flaw Dissected

Oracle

Smash Master
Mow is saying that if your teacher is always better than you are, then your ceiling is only as high as your teacher's. at some point on the road to greatness, you have to become better than your teacher.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Mow is saying that if your teacher is always better than you are, then your ceiling is only as high as your teacher's. at some point on the road to greatness, you have to become better than your teacher.
It's under the assumption that the student's personal best exceeds the teacher's. Obviously you can never be THE best if your teacher is always better, but you are going to reach your full potential faster with a teacher that is better than your full potential compared to a teacher who you will eventually surpass.

D

Deleted member

Mow, teach me how to talk out of my ***!
that part is easy. play the game for long enough and you'll start to see that there isn't an answer to everything, and then you point it out and have a lot of people get mad at you like kage is mad at me that camping exists. then when you try to justify it, you're talking out of your ***.

anyone who is seriously teaching this game has more or less given up on personal greatness. a student not passing the teacher in talent is pathetic. most of the path to greatness is traveled alone.

gm jack

Smash Lord
A good teacher should show you how to learn things for yourself and put you on the right track. It's easily possible to become better than your teacher, and the teacher to still be good.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
A very in-depth and interesting read. I agree with you, playing defensively is what wins tournaments. The game itself is programmed to reward the players who play a defensive playstyle, rather than an aggresive playstyle.

Thanks!

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm not sure that that's a good example....but I see what you're getting at, I think. Yes, actually, that kind of works. We should try to stay open-minded, instead of forcing our wives to change.

Who knows, maybe the kitchen isn't the best for them, after all? :troll:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Should the wife change or should the husband change? Wow, if that isn't proof of sexism, I don't know what is.

Oh, OF COURSE the guy is always at fault in that scenario. There's never been a wife who was a complete ***** despite her husband being nice and supportive. :rolleyes:

crush

Smash Master
The game itself is programmed to reward the players who play a defensive playstyle, rather than an aggresive playstyle.

Thanks!
Yeah I think the programmers should switch it up every once in a while, to make offense better.

Maybe once every few days or so.

And then for rewards there could maybe be trophies, or even master balls.

:phone:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Should the wife change or should the husband change? Wow, if that isn't proof of sexism, I don't know what is.

Oh, OF COURSE the guy is always at fault in that scenario. There's never been a wife who was a complete ***** despite her husband being nice and supportive. :rolleyes:
Yeah Society's views on how relationships between men and women should be have changed for the worst.

It's bull****, but I hope people aren't only pointing this out when they're on the internet. People(men) seem to be afraid/ashamed to talk about this in person and I find that so dumb.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Would you be able to downtalk your loved one even if there was a problem?
If there is a problem inthe relationship with the girl I love could I tell her? **** yeah!

You say it as if it is so difficult. Talking to girls about their problems really isn't so hard. Even if they don't react well to criticism it doesn't take any great amount of courage to address a problem in any relationship.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If there is a problem inthe relationship with the girl I love could I tell her? **** yeah!

You say it as if it is so difficult. Talking to girls about their problems really isn't so hard. Even if they don't react well to criticism it doesn't take any great amount of courage to address a problem in any relationship.
I'm talking about to someone else or publicly.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Someone's probably already mention this, but you also have to consider that the reward form approaching successfully is often greater than the rewarding from preventing an approach.
Suppose X character approaches using move M. If move M lands successfully, it can start a fairly lengthy combo.
Should character Y prevent X's approach, he may not have the options to capitalize on this.

Of course for most characters, it's easy to stop most approaches, but if the opponent gets one successful approach that leads to a combo, it's even again.

Of course, I really do fail at Melee, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I've tried to base it more on what I've seen than on personal experience, though.

Dulren

Smash Cadet
My own random, worthless opinion on this whole topic:

Yeah, "camping"/playing "Defensively"/never approaching is straight up *** and DEFINITELY isn't entertaining.

Yet, so long as we play this game for money (or anything else that creates a large incentive to win!), it's absolutely necessary in competitive play - and to a very large extent. The plain fact is that it's rarely safe to approach (with the exception of very few characters) and "baiting"/punishing thrown out frames is highly effective and considerably safer in melee.

Love it or hate it, i'd expect to see a trend towards minimalism and defense in smash's future.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
ah, im living in chile so was wondering why i hadnt met a chilean who posted over 2k times

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
Ron is one of my favorite posters and has the sexiest style with Falco. :D
wtf, how do you know about lombardi?

someone must be putting you up to this, i'm just a scrub. :bee:

@BigD: have you played anyone interesting?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
anyone who is seriously teaching this game has more or less given up on personal greatness. a student not passing the teacher in talent is pathetic. most of the path to greatness is traveled alone.
Quoting this to emphasize it.

Top Bottom