• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Serious question to ALL of you who think the FGC looks down on smash!

When was the last time a non-smash player came up to your smash setup at a tournament and started making BS comments about your game and harassing you?

I have been to the last two EVOs and while playing Melee on our setup NOBODY ever made a rude remark about our game! Throughout the day, people were just walking by and taking quick glances or stood by and watched some games! The REAL FGC are out at tournaments and having a great time, not making BS comments on the internet and shooting down a game!

"FGC hate" is 100% random SRK nobodies in blog comments having a laugh

and only random smash n00bs take it serious

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
So if the MLP community wins, "**** them?" Really? If they manage to donate enough money, then that's awesome for them and I'm happy for them. And since this was announced today, that still means there's more than enough time for the FiM devs to get a build out for EVO for people to play, if they even win. You're incorrect in assuming that they're going to use an old build. Do you even know for a fact what build they're going to use? Serious question here, because if you're a dev then your word holds more weight to it./QUOTE]

I didn't say that they were going to use an old build for sure if they won, but there are no plans right now to release anything by that time (or any time, for that matter). It shouldn't even qualify for the lineup if existence at the time of the tournament is very uncertain.

So is anyone reaching out to the brawlers not to divide the community on this?

Because it seems ******** if a good chunk of smashboards ends up competing with itself, assuming anyone from there cares.
Brawl community looks like it doesn't really care, the EVO thread didn't last two pages and pretty much all of the poll votes are from Melee players.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Aren't the dudes who run evo filthy stinking rich? Why do some of you think they will steal the $$$ for the event?

I'm not saying this is a good idea, but all arguments should be explored in the open before deciding whether to donate or not.

I'm not close to pro or even would go to Evo but would gladly donate if the community decided that's what we should do.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Aren't the dudes who run evo filthy stinking rich? Why do some of you think they will steal the $$$ for the event?

I'm not saying this is a good idea, but all arguments should be explored in the open before deciding whether to donate or not.

I'm not close to pro or even would go to Evo but would gladly donate if the community decided that's what we should do.
Mo' money, mo' money.

Stevo

Smash Champion
There's a million and one factors to this, I won't be donating unless I am the one to push the donation over the line to 1st place and win the contest.

Breast cancer gets enough money, If I'm going to donate to foundations I have other foundations I'd rather donate to.

Also the community gets more benefit from me helping big names get to tournaments or helping out with tournament expenses here in Australia.

Another thing is that even if melee came 1st, I honestly would not be surprised if we still don't get into evo for some obscure reason.

be wary with your money folks, think it through before you start to drop your dollars.

also there's this idea:

What if we come 3rd or 4th with say 10k donated total, or even 5k, maybe only 2k. any amount of money and we dont win.

How much better would Apex, or the next major US tournament be if we put that money towards making our own tournament better?

Rather than risk money on MAYBE getting a tournament at evo (which I bet we would be shafted on somehow anyway) how about we use the money to guarantee we get a huge tournament ourselves?

With that sort of money going towards prizes, streaming and international attendance, I'm sure the community can get a more satisfactory outcome than putting money into Evo.

my 2c

I have a hard time not agreeing with this.

Landry

Smash Ace
I am somewhat skeptical of this whole thing. I feel like big money is going to roll in from companies that we won't be able to match.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
To be fair the Evo poll on FB got around 6,600+ votes for Melee. The closest game to this was street fighter 4 i believe, which is a very big community. Only got about 3-4000.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol has anyone even seen the competition? SRK is back up and we've got this. People think we have a bunch of competition but you were still able to vote while the poll was closed and they're not accepting that. MvC2 didn't crack 500 but people are voting now to bring it up :p Look at the list:
http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/08/evo...-get-your-game-to-evo-and-road-to-evo-events/

Who's gunna stop us? The near dead games or the one's without a strong communtiy yet? We have a chance here, Sony out buying us is probably not going to happen.
Edit: we've got competition but we're not slaughtered...as proven by the fact that we beat the competition 6:1 in the polls.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It pains me to say this, but donating to this isn't worth it at all. Think about the escalation.

We scrap up money from every Smasher, some other sponsor dwarfs us with one giant donation.

We bring in Redact to make a counter-donation, Sony comes along and throws down an insurmountable check.

Think about it. Whatever money you're thinking about donating to this, save it and invest in attending a future national hosted by people who actually know how to host a Smash tourney -- our community.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
lol has anyone even seen the competition? SRK is back up and we've got this. People think we have a bunch of competition but you were still able to vote while the poll was closed and they're not accepting that. MvC2 didn't crack 500 but people are voting now to bring it up :p Look at the list:
http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/08/evo...-get-your-game-to-evo-and-road-to-evo-events/

Who's gunna stop us? The near dead games or the one's without a strong communtiy yet? We have a chance here, Sony out buying us is probably not going to happen.
Edit: we've got competition but we're not slaughtered...as proven by the fact that we beat the competition 6:1 in the polls.
MLP:FiM

Their disposable income is absolutely rediculous and their fanbase is fanatical.

Even the biggest philatrophists in the smash community can't touch the insanity coming from the MLP community.

Good news for breast cancer though ;)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Actually it is. If a charity drive hypothetically already gets billions and another one is desperate and in more urgent need, you're saying it doesn't matter which one you donate to? And if someone points this out (as multiple people already have and fyi I wasn't one of them), they must be heartless monsters who will go to hell? You are trying to guilt trip people into doing exactly what you want.
I know you've been getting a lot of unwarranted hate so I thought I'd chime in and say I agree with your points about this charity vs others.

People really aren't aware of the world around them and the many areas of need that exist which would benefit MUCH more from donations. And this is taking absolutely nothing away from the issue of breast cancer! Breast cancer is bad, so are measles, so is human trafficking, and we could go on forever. But it is estimated that breast cancer charities already collect 6 billion dollars a year.

That being said, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which the money will go toward, seems to be quite the reputable organization.

As for me, I know I'm not going to be donating to this particular charity. There are others I am more invested in which actually need the money and can do much more good. Melee is really not that much of an incentive to pay when you're getting me thinking about charities, haha.

Landry

Smash Ace
Should we open a dialogue with the barlw guys? I dunno how likely they are to help us but splitting our smash community and money doesn't seem like a really great idea.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i see an issue in this, if we end up not donating a fair amount, im almost certain the FGC (specifically SRK Scrubs) would pull stupid **** out of their *** and be like "see, all those melee votes weren't real, no one even donated to breast cancer research!"

i still think we have a chance, though a very tiny as **** chance assuming MLP:FIM can't get a good playable version to have at EVO

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
i see an issue in this, if we end up not donating a fair amount, im almost certain the FGC (specifically SRK Scrubs) would pull stupid **** out of their *** and be like "see, all those melee votes weren't real, no one even donated to breast cancer research!"

i still think we have a chance, though a very tiny as **** chance assuming MLP:FIM can't get a good playable version to have at EVO
The leaked version (yes, the one that was on the last evo) is pretty playable, it still has an active online server and the metagame keeps developings each day, the only problem i see is that they wont be able to finish fluttershy for EVO.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Stop saying "Oh well its for charity we should just do it anyways." That's exactly what the people behind this whole thing want you to say, this was their plan. Redact and multiple others have shown you why this is a bad investment so listen to them and put your money where you want it or throw it at a legit Smash Bros tournament.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Just a random (and certainly naive) thought:

A lot of people in here are talking about how big companies will throw in hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to promote their game. If that's true, then would it be possible to motivate Nintendo into promoting Melee?

How could this be a good move for Nintendo?

- It would give Smash more exposure before the release of Smash 4
- Giving money to cancer research is always well perceived, it might be a good opportunity for a company to enhance its image

Obvious drawbacks:

- Why would they promote Melee rather than Brawl?
- If anything, would Nintendo be willing to give money for one of their games to enter EVO?
- If Melee ever won this thanks to Nintendo's help (this is hypothetical) and other games didn't benefit from donations from corporations, what would other fighting game communities think about our legitimacy?

This might be useless to discuss, but considering how people here think big companies will throw in cash, maybe this could be interesting... Again, this is just a genuine thought.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
im thinking that was directed at me - i never said we should donate, im honestly gettinhg the vibe that Mr Wizard or w.e the **** his name is just did this for the sole reason of not having smash at evo. I dont know if theyve done it before, and i dont really care. if i wanted to donate for cancer i would do it any other day

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Just a random (and certainly naive) thought:

A lot of people in here are talking about how big companies will throw in hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to promote their game. If that's true, then would it be possible to motivate Nintendo into promoting Melee?

How could this be a good move for Nintendo?

- It would give Smash more exposure before the release of Smash 4
- Giving money to cancer research is always well perceived, it might be a good opportunity for a company to enhance its image

Obvious drawbacks:

- Why would they promote Melee rather than Brawl?
- If anything, would Nintendo be willing to give money for one of their games to enter EVO?
- If Melee ever won this thanks to Nintendo's help (this is hypothetical) and other games didn't benefit from donations from corporations, what would other fighting game communities think about our legitimacy?

This might be useless to discuss, but considering how people here think big companies will throw in cash, maybe this could be interesting... Again, this is just a genuine thought.

Have you not paid attention the passed 10 years? Of course Nintendo isn't going to support this and if they did they would probably support Brawl.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they just never had such an opportunity to support their game, and this could be a good move for them right now because of the current situation.

Once again, I dunno man, I'm just throwing in an idea.

Thino

Smash Master

You, and anyone else for that matter, shouldn't care about SRK scrubs and what they say.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
^ You know, we should really have something like that for the smash community in general. Like a "smash bank". Would make all the funds and donation things a lot more streamlined. Would also have a lot of problems too lol.

Thino

Smash Master
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
You know, this is actually a REALLY good idea for people that are worried about where their money goes.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Originally some of the money from premium memberships were to funnel back to several grassroots tournaments, but then... MLG. Yeeeeepppppp.

Assuming that they are hiding donations, I don't really like the idea of hiding donations. This and companies donating basically spell out doom no matter how much is raised. If the donation amounts are hidden, then only one party controls that information, the EVO staff. Even if we donate enough, my main worry is that they're going to manipulate the donation info to make it seem like we lost either by a few dollars or by lots.

I'd like Smash to be at EVO, I really do, I basically think we are going to run into a dead end either way.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ You know, we should really have something like that for the smash community in general. Like a "smash bank". Would make all the funds and donation things a lot more streamlined. Would also have a lot of problems too lol.
Yeah and we should let Zelgadis be in charge of all of it.
sig

Super

Smash Apprentice

Brilliant idea! If they are being shady, hiding information, and not being transparent, then the decision can be made to refund those who want to be refunded, and the rest put towards running events.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman

I really like this idea, let's do that.

:phone:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I could very well see Sony dropping cash for representation of All Stars

I don't see any other company doing it

If no game gets any major assistance from a company, I think melee has a great chance of winning

People need to post this stuff on their local facebook smash groups

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I could very well see Sony dropping cash for representation of All Stars

I don't see any other company doing it

If no game gets any major assistance from a company, I think melee has a great chance of winning

People need to post this stuff on their local facebook smash groups
Already posted it in my wall and other people posted it in my local SSBM fb group.

Edit: Not gonna mean much, but we have 141 likes on the donations page, while MLP has 48 likes, but MLP has 18 tweets while we have 3. So MLP is rising, but we might be still ahead, but again these numbers could mean nothing.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom