• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
The only reason I'm not donating yet is that I'd rather my money be assured it benefits the melee community directly, that's why Id rather be the one who pushes it over the line if we could see whos winning/going to win.

I can be hot and cold about donations so we will see

Vkrm

Smash Lord
With the $$$ donated we could run our own tournament better then evo. What are they really offering us? We bust our collective *** just to be a side event. It won't get the FGC to accept smash all of a sudden...... I'll still donate though.

:phone:

clowsui

Smash Legend
^ your post just indicates you don't know how Evo works. If we get selected, we're on the main stage. That's that.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Seriously? better than EVO? with their 50,000 viewers on the stream? c'mon guys, we need this! let's give it a try
Yes we need this and that's why I'm donating money as soon as I can.

Also please read the following below before making any more posts talking trash about EVO or the rest of the FGC. I hope you guys become more reasonable afterwards.
Since everyone is acting ignorant as ****...

The Official Melee @ Evo 2013 FAQ

Q: Where do I donate?

A: RIGHT HERE. All money goes towards breast cancer research. It's a good cause!

Q: Mr. Wizard/Evo does not support Smash

A: Incorrect. This idea seems to have stemmed from Brawl's awful showing at Evo 2008.

Newsflash: Brawl is not Melee. I think, as a community, we've spent more than enough time trying to convince people of that.

The truth is, Melee was at Evo in 2007, and it was a tremendously successful event. Smash's first year at the event, it drew the second most players out of any event, 2nd only to MVC2.

Respected FGC member and commentator James Chen had this to say about Melee's showing at Evo 2007:

Just yesterday on UltraChen TV, a twitch.tv program about the FGC, James Chen and Ultra David (the other main commentator in the FGC), went over the picks for the Evo lineup. When they reached the Player's Choice game, it was unanimous: Melee was the favorite, and the two fully support the game being at Evo.

You can watch the video here @ 43:35

As I mentioned before, this negative stigma seems to have stemmed from Brawl's performance at Evo 2008. After Melee's great showing, Smash was basically a staple for the next year. Of course, they were going to go with the newest game in the series at the time of the event, and that was Brawl. 100% of the time, the community moves on to the new game every time.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Brawl is ***. Also, because of it's age, the Evo staff felt there was no concrete ruleset, and decided to implement their own. Which brings me to our next question...

Q: Even if Melee gets on the Evo roster, they're just gonna apply their own crappy ruleset with items on and every match needs to be played on Brinstar Depths and Fox is banned!

A: Nope. As I mentioned, Melee, being a 6 year old game at the time of it's appearance at Evo 2007, had a concrete ruleset established by the community at the time, and it was embraced by Evo. If you don't believe me, here it is from the man himself:

We will get our ruleset. Mr. Wizard and the Evo staff aren't out to get us. Please drop this mentality.

Q: The FGC are a bunch of bullies and they all hate us! I don't want to support a tournament with people that will throw tomatoes at our players!

A: This is as ignorant and uninformed as the trolls on the Internet who claim the Smash community is a bunch of 6 year olds. Internet trolls are everywhere. I have been to many Smash tournaments, many fighting game tournaments, and many where both were held in the same room. The bottom line is this line of thinking is bull****. The real FGC (i.e not shoryuken forum posters, not youtube commenters, and sure as hell not stream monsters), does not give two ****s about what games you play. They aren't going to ****ing bully you for playing Smash Bros.

In fact, Melee has a pretty legitimate amount of credibility around the FGC. Top players such as Chris G, Masta CJ, Noel Brown, Falcomist, Forward, Alucard and many more come from a Melee background.

So lets PLEASE drop this line of thinking, because it makes you look ignorant. Don't get trolled, the FGC won't bite.

Q: Will the community have to bring our own setups/CRTs?

It looks like they have donated all their Wiis and CRTs to charity. However, this information was given by Mr. Wizard before the announcement of the Player's Choice game. Assuming Melee wins, there's a chance Evo will try to hook us up. If not... we've survived since MLG without major corporations supporting us with setups. Smash veterans have incredibly defined lats due to carrying CRTs around to tournaments. It's science. This should not be a problem, don't let it discourage you.

Pending questions:

Q: Will Melee be on the main stream during it's top 8?
(I've sent a tweet to Mr. Wizard, still waiting on a response. In the past, all finals have been run on the main stream. Wizard has stated that due to time constraints and the sheer amount of games they are running this year, some finals will be run on Saturday. We can still expect 50,000+ viewers. Not too shabby.)

Q: Will the community have to bring our own setups/CRTs? (I have to imagine Evo still has Wiis and CRTs somewhere, we'll have to wait and see)

Q: Will a member of the community be running the event? (VERY important. I can't imagine they'll run this tournament without consulting a respected TO, they have 8 games on the roster, they're gonna need all the help they could get)

Q: Will Sony/Nether Realm/crazy MLP community rig the donations, making it impossible for Melee to win? (Hard to say. If they do, **** 'em, they can have it. Enjoy 10 people entering your events you shady ****s)

If anyone has any other questions, shoot. I'll try my best to answer. LOTS of misinformation running amok right now.
is there any way to track the donations made to each game?
Sadly no, but we can do this and lets at least try, we should never give up on anything that may be possible that'll greatly benefit our community.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@fatman or don't because the gist of it is blaming everything on Brawl when everything that went wrong could've easily happened in Melee.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I'm not donating yet is that I'd rather my money be assured it benefits the melee community directly, that's why Id rather be the one who pushes it over the line if we could see whos winning/going to win.

I can be hot and cold about donations so we will see
I can understand this from the perspective of someone willing to donate a sizable amount, but I don't see what's stopping people from putting aside something like $5 each. Even if we could create our own super special event fund (that would have significant trouble trying to get the attention EVO has), it's not like five dollars is going to prevent people from helping the community some more. Yes, a lot of Smashers are relatively poor (myself included), but surely this wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Even if our community isn't the wealthiest, there are a lot of us, and a lot of small donations could go a long way.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Can you donate more than once? I'd probably give like $5 for the next few weeks, I'm fairly broke.
I don't see why you can't.

@fatman or don't because the gist of it is blaming everything on Brawl when everything that went wrong could've easily happened in Melee.
Alright I believe that is true about the Melee could've gone wrong part, but I personally don't have much against Brawl and I don't hate Brawl. I think it was more of EVO's fault than Brawl because of the items that appeared and the stupid rulesets they had. Also the whole thing didn't say that Brawl was the cause of the FGC hate, it's mainly trolls on the web. I actually do know in real life some people who respects the SSB series as a fighting game that can be competitive, though none of them actually plays Melee.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Maybe we should have a thread where people post their donation receipts, so we at least have a decent idea of how much other people are donating. Snowball effect, etc.

I'll be donating, but the amount is dependent on how well my job interviews go these next few weeks :3

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we should have a thread where people post their donation receipts, so we at least have a decent idea of how much other people are donating. Snowball effect, etc.

I'll be donating, but the amount is dependent on how well my job interviews go these next few weeks :3
Yea I like that idea, we should get a good estimate of how much the people at SMW donated, and that's not everyone who donated I think, but if we raise a couple thousands, who knows how much more others donated to our game.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Vkrm, you're trying to start crap as usual, so I'll just answer your question and hope you'll shut up; the ruleset stuff was because it was a new game (which wouldn't apply now) and the splitting was M2K's decision, who not only also plays Melee but heavily favors it. As to why the splitting thing didn't happen, I guess it just didn't happen. However, you'll probably cover your ears and keep stating that correlation = causation because you want it to.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

Yeah and tell GG what they need to match? lol I donated, you should too.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@bert if it's just to show how much so we can tally it? so can anyone else.

If it's a contest? I won.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm currently moving to get this thread closed. We've had enough discussion about the potential issues already and we need to get a move on in donating. The general consensus is that this is a cause worth donating to in spite of the transparency issues that exist. If people would like to discuss those issues further I suggest making another thread for it, as those who want Melee in Evo in spite of the issues need a thread without clutter and a thread that is better able to generate hype.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
There are people still talking about on-topic stuff and no one's breaking the rules, there's no reason to shut down the thread.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Oh, smash community. You make me so sad sometimes.

Just donate. So what if we lose? We send a bunch of money to a charity. Boo hoo. We aren't being played, nobody is out to get us. If we lose, so what? Being the second best or even third best in donations is something to be proud of, and probably commendable. Rather than whining about our appearance at EVO not being a sure thing, how about we quit squandering our chance? Like, legitimate, possibly only chance to get into EVO and grow our community?

It makes sense for this to be invisible. It builds hype, decreases the chances of donations screeching to a halt when a presumable winner appears, and overall is in good fun and for a good cause. While I'd prefer it to be visible for reasons already mentioned, I see 0 fraudulence aside from people looking for an excuse to not spend money. If you want Melee at EVO, then donate. If you don't want Melee at EVO, then don't donate. All having little to no donations will do is make us look like cheap children who can't back up our over 6,000 votes on the poll.

Think of the player funds. Think of how much money we have pooled together over the years. Let's say we raise $5,000 dollars and then we get beaten out by Sony making a huge donation. How is that bad? Whether we make it to EVO or not, we are showing that we have the drive to make it to EVO even without a sponsorship, and that $5,000 dollars is nothing to scoff at. And ya know what? If every person that voted donated a DOLLAR, we'd have over $6,000 right there. Then, if we lose, we take our loss with pride in the fact that we raised money for a good cause, and then we walk away. "Most money raised that didn't have sponsorship" is certainly a feat worth achieving, and might have them keep us in mind for next year.

If EVO weren't a big deal, we wouldn't be talking about it, so stop acting like this isn't them giving us an opportunity, because that is exactly what it is. It's an opportunity to grow, gain new fans, new friends, new members, new reputation, new sponsors, and there is no reason we shouldn't go for it.

Stop with the conspiracy theories. Do you think other communities would stand by while they stole our money? Bull. Stop with the *****footing. If you don't want to donate, then don't. But I'm putting my money where my mouth is and donating $100 dollars as soon as I get my paycheck on Friday. And that's just the start. Let's get it done.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
I'm currently moving to get this thread closed. We've had enough discussion about the potential issues already and we need to get a move on in donating. The general consensus is that this is a cause worth donating to in spite of the transparency issues that exist. If people would like to discuss those issues further I suggest making another thread for it, as those who want Melee in Evo in spite of the issues need a thread without clutter and a thread that is better able to generate hype.
lol why would you close down this thread??

BTW, added donation link to the OP.

Im gonna donate next week when I wont be broke. :awesome:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Alright, we have a donation link! Now we can be the better thread instead of the one circlejerking to the "it's all Brawl's fault" FAQ.

edit: I'm trying to to be "that guy", but I literally cannot discuss this in the Brawl forum.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Yeah, I really don't see how it's fair that you guys get two and we get zero.

Oh well, this probably won't rally up many more votes than normal anyway.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I guess they figure that having two smash games would just divide resources and ensure we get 0 smash games in evo instead of 1. I kind of thought that was biz's goal wasn't so much getting brawl to evo as it was keeping melee out, but that's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom