• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yes there is absolutely no downside to an extremely self-loathing, desperate and naive community throwing away its money in a gamble to people that clearly will never respect them.

Oh wait.
giving money to charity + exposure for our beloved 13 year old game = throwing away money

k

Vkrm

Smash Lord
**** this, **** this.

****. THIS.

We should start our own donation fundwith all the proceeds going to an actual smash tourney. This is evo trying to get $$$ out of us without giving us the respect they wantonly dole out to everybody else. We already won the first pole, that should've been enough.

:phone:

zmx

Smash Lord
giving money to charity + exposure for our beloved 13 year old game = throwing away money

k
They never promised to stream the game. Not every game at Evo is streamed on the main stage. Also FYI not all charities are trustworthy and the one in question is already over saturated even if it was.

This is the naivity I'm talking about.

If you really cared about charity you wouldn't need a reason to donate. This is just a way to make yourself feel better for wasting money, it's a marketing ploy nothing else.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
There's a million and one factors to this, I won't be donating unless I am the one to push the donation over the line to 1st place and win the contest.

Breast cancer gets enough money, If I'm going to donate to foundations I have other foundations I'd rather donate to.

Also the community gets more benefit from me helping big names get to tournaments or helping out with tournament expenses here in Australia.

Another thing is that even if melee came 1st, I honestly would not be surprised if we still don't get into evo for some obscure reason.

be wary with your money folks, think it through before you start to drop your dollars.

also there's this idea:

What if we come 3rd or 4th with say 10k donated total, or even 5k, maybe only 2k. any amount of money and we dont win.

How much better would Apex, or the next major US tournament be if we put that money towards making our own tournament better?

Rather than risk money on MAYBE getting a tournament at evo (which I bet we would be shafted on somehow anyway) how about we use the money to guarantee we get a huge tournament ourselves?

With that sort of money going towards prizes, streaming and international attendance, I'm sure the community can get a more satisfactory outcome than putting money into Evo.

my 2c

Anth0ny

Smash Master
They never promised to stream the game. Not every game at Evo is streamed on the main stage. Also FYI not all charities are trustworthy and the one in question is already over saturated even if it was.
every game on the main roster is streamed on the main stage

If you really cared about charity you wouldn't need a reason to donate. This is just a way to make yourself feel better for wasting money, it's a marketing ploy nothing else.
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I-I can't any more.There's bad points on both sides. I seem to be stuck in the middle, not donating yet because no, I don't want to throw away my money, but people seem to think giving about as much as coffee for a week is throwing away your life earnings. Charity is charity, I give plenty to them every year, what makes this one different because it has a possible return? It could grow the community because well...people tend to forget that we don't have much advertisement..we have no advertisement. Accidental youtube stumbling/word of mouth and das it. Besides, no one donates for Apex to happen, that's what entry fees are.

Alright, I'm done...with posting in this thread. I want to be in Evo and I can do without a couple bucks to make it happen, I'm not dropping 100$, that's what crowd sourcing is. And assuming a corporation will force there game in is an extreme with about as much good PR as bad. People aren't always that dumb to say look, they gave money to charity...in order to make more money and get a tax right off with free advertising for their product. How selfless...and such a large amount too...for a big corporation.

edit: Also, it seems like melee is the reason this 8th place pick is happening...don't wanna let them say, well it was trolls voting. Time for MvC2.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????

Alright, so the reason we shouldn't try is because maybe they might adapt to your absurd conspiracy theory that they are not going to stream it EVER (even though they already said they're streaming half the games one night, the other half the next) and that you likely made up on the spot because of your unreasonable inability to trust anything, including well-established charities. You also cited it as a "marketing ploy", because... you're donating to charity? Marketing implies there's profit involved here, you understand what the phrase "donating for charity" means, right?

Christ, I can see the reasons behind not going with this, but I'm pretty sure you're just straight-up insane. Like a really boring truther.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
How is it fair? We freaking demolished the pole. This is just another hoop for us to jump through. There will be many more so evo can blame us for not being intreasted enough. They didn't keep their word, and TBH we don't need evo. It's very clear they don't want us.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
How is it fair? We freaking demolished the pole. This is just another hoop for us to jump through. There will be many more so evo can blame us for not being intreasted enough. They didn't keep their word, and TBH we don't need evo. It's very clear they don't want us.

What word? They never said that winning the poll secures a spot. Don't feel entitled.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shoutouts to SRK for starting this
during awesome games done quick

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
If you can provide at least four different quotations from higher level EVO staff members speaking to the fact they don't like Melee and/or it's scene i'll believe the anti-hype
James Chen wrote an article back in 07 praising the Smash community for rising above the hate of the FGC. Smash has been at EVO 3 times (Melee once, and Brawl as a main game then side-game). Yet people want to assume that a bunch of stream monsters speak for the entire FGC when they go "lol smash." Give me a break. I give the Smash Community a lot of **** when I feel like they deserve it (the MLG pot-split debacle and the community's "we hate MLG" followed by "please take us back MLG" stance, anything involving Mew2King, etc), but some of the reactions here are a new low.
What word? They never said that winning the poll secures a spot. Don't feel entitled.
This, as well.

swanized

Smash Cadet
Also, do you guys think the money not paid to get melee to Evo will actually end up funding another Smash tournament or being wasted on a pair of donuts?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
a legit donation poll would be to see who would would have the most people who donated to get an actually number of people interested in the game.

This is not worth it if its just the total $ amount and not the amount of people giving $

zmx

Smash Lord
a legit donation poll would be to see who would would have the most people who donated to get an actually number of people interested in the game.

This is not worth it if its just the total $ amount and not the amount of people giving $
That's what we've been saying since the beginning. If a companies can donate there's even less chance of Melee winning.

zmx

Smash Lord
And that money would go to a good cause. Oh wait, cancer research isn't a good cause to you. Sorry about that.
I never said this.

There are more kinds of cancer than just Breast Cancer and that particular drive already has more than most other drives. This has been discussed earlier.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
There's an even worse problem.

Rich, spoiled bronies.

God help us all.
Saw that game a while ago, looked meh but wow **** the MLPFiM community if they actually win. There's literally no public build released or even planned for release yet before Evo 2013, they're all using a build leaked from the Evo demo last year that plays like complete ***. Even if a half-decent build manages to pop up before Evo 2013 they'll all be at home in their basements during the tournament.

****ing ironic how Melee might not get to EVO because we have an actual scene, tournaments, and money to worry about while MLP could easily win because it has a whole bunch of random kids in front of a computer who have probably haven't even watched EVO before.

EVO isn't even that cool though, none of the games are remotely interesting this year except KoF13 (no GG, really?), it's just free publicity and tournament venue (well, not so free anymore) for our community. It'd still be nice to win if it doesn't take that much money but even if it does, who would actually go out and donate to a tournament and/or medical research instead?

zmx

Smash Lord
Saw that game a while ago, looked meh but wow **** the MLPFiM community if they actually win. There's literally no public build released or even planned for release yet before Evo 2013, they're all using a build leaked from the Evo demo last year that plays like complete ***. Even if a half-decent build manages to pop up before Evo 2013 they'll all be at home in their basements during the tournament.

****ing ironic how Melee might not get to EVO because we have an actual scene, tournaments, and money to worry about while MLP could easily win because it has a whole bunch of random kids in front of a computer who have probably haven't even watched EVO before.

EVO isn't even that cool though, none of the games are remotely interesting this year except KoF13 (no GG, really?), it's just free publicity and tournament venue (well, not so free anymore) for our community. It'd still be nice to win if it doesn't take that much money but even if it does, who would actually go out and donate to a tournament and/or medical research instead?
https://twitter.com/search?q=#evo2k&src=hash

Alex Jebailey‏@CEOJebailey

RT @Chindogg21: #WSRK MLP Fighting is Magic just got a $500,000 donation for #evo2k
http://i.imgur.com/hrg6s.jpg

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Having a game represented at EVO is an honor, and we should be grateful to:
1. Our community for showing that we're still thriving.
2. Mr. Wizard and his staff for giving us an opportunity even with a subpar winter of 2012.

That being said, we have a hell of a mountain to climb.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I really didn't want to post here but zmx that was said to be fake. Don't believe everything on the internet...cause it's the ****ing internet and you should know better.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
I never said this.

There are more kinds of cancer than just Breast Cancer and that particular drive already has more than most other drives. This has been discussed earlier.
Cancer research is cancer research. Just because the money is going to a specific area of cancer isn't a reason to not want to donate. It's still a good cause whether it's breast, lung, or anywhere else. You're looking like kind of an insensitive monster right now.

So if the MLP community wins, "**** them?" Really? If they manage to donate enough money, then that's awesome for them and I'm happy for them. And since this was announced today, that still means there's more than enough time for the FiM devs to get a build out for EVO for people to play, if they even win. You're incorrect in assuming that they're going to use an old build. Do you even know for a fact what build they're going to use? Serious question here, because if you're a dev then your word holds more weight to it.

EDIT: It's been said already, but that donation pic is fake. That doesn't mean that MLP ISN'T leading in donations, however.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
i know the brony community is massive

but is there a big enough brony community that cares about fighting games? do enough bronies even know this exists and are they willing to donate money?

i find it hard to believe, but who knows.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So is anyone reaching out to the brawlers not to divide the community on this?

Because it seems ******** if a good chunk of smashboards ends up competing with itself, assuming anyone from there cares.

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
Attempting to get brawl to vote for melee seems about as ridiculous as getting melee to vote for brawl, but melee has a better chance. Do they hate us as much as we hate them? I try to avoid anything that turns into melee vs brawl...

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
So is anyone reaching out to the brawlers not to divide the community on this?

Because it seems ******** if a good chunk of smashboards ends up competing with itself, assuming anyone from there cares.
There was a thread in the Brawl section for this. It was closed. Take that how you will.

Thino

Smash Master
Bronies come in bigger numbers than smash community. In fact, they may be amongst us.
"May"? http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2499

i know the brony community is massive

but is there a big enough brony community that cares about fighting games? do enough bronies even know this exists and are they willing to donate money?

i find it hard to believe, but who knows.
a link to the SRK thread has been posted on the /mlp/ boards on 4chan which is a pretty massive part of it, aaaand the MLP:FiM thread on SRK has been massive.

trust me a LOT of bronies already know about it and are hype and I am one of them.

if I were to donate I would toward both MLP:FiM and SSBM

Doesn't matter to me which cancer research the "losing games" will go, nor is it a big deal if the games I like don't get into Evo, I feel that the Smash community gets the exposure it needs.

Sure a larger scale tournament like Evo would be great but Smash has been doing fine without Evo too.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Serious question to ALL of you who think the FGC looks down on smash!

When was the last time a non-smash player came up to your smash setup at a tournament and started making BS comments about your game and harassing you?

I have been to the last two EVOs and while playing Melee on our setup NOBODY ever made a rude remark about our game! Throughout the day, people were just walking by and taking quick glances or stood by and watched some games! The REAL FGC are out at tournaments and having a great time, not making BS comments on the internet and shooting down a game!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
There was a thread in the Brawl section for this. It was closed. Take that how you will.
lolol going back on my word but that's hilarious. We're fighting for FGC recoognition and they're trying to please us now. Definitely squashed the **** with that, props to brawl mods and ussi. There is no point competing between us and we did have the better outcome in '07, not that '08 was their fault but they get the recognition/redemption with us if all goes right anyways.

The REAL FGC are out at tournaments and having a great time, not making BS comments on the internet and shooting down a game!
Which is why we want to be there with the real FGC...

zmx

Smash Lord
^If it's currently leading, that suggests they must care to some extent. To the MLP comment.

Cancer research is cancer research. Just because the money is going to a specific area of cancer isn't a reason to not want to donate. It's still a good cause whether it's breast, lung, or anywhere else. You're looking like kind of an insensitive monster right now.
Actually it is. If a charity drive hypothetically already gets billions and another one is desperate and in more urgent need, you're saying it doesn't matter which one you donate to? And if someone points this out (as multiple people already have and fyi I wasn't one of them), they must be heartless monsters who will go to hell? You are trying to guilt trip people into doing exactly what you want.

That seems awfully hypocritical and judgemental. I doubt you regularly donate to charities or that it even crossed your mind before it started having to do with your favourite game. I'll be the first to say I don't donate (in College right now, lack of job), I'm not going to pretend to be on a high horse.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I say drop the $5 and hope for the best. Hopefully even if we don't end up donating more money, the numbers will still mean something to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom