• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat!

Smash Master
Man, this is tough.

TCB's walls of text (almost) always have me nodding in agreement, so I'm just gonna wait for that before making any judgment calls.

make ur post already blur I want to have an opinion!!!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'd volunteer to be the donation central guy for whoever wished, but there is currently no way of seeing donation amounts/whose winning currently from what I can tell.

Really underhanded so not to keen on that.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I agree with redact, there just to secretive about this, i don't want to donate money just for nothing, breast cancer yeah yeah but i'm doing it for melee, not for breast cancer, and seeing as how sony could easily drop a couple of k's, i'm convinced that we just need to continue doing our own thing.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
*thumbs up*

also should i put the link in the op like i should of last night or wait??

clowsui

Smash Legend
Transparency is a huge issue but silarobe's idea is solid and allows us time still to manage the transparency thing. A new acct should be created with Prog or redact at the head

:phone:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Someone else at the head

lack of transparency on donations of other games too = I don't want to donate

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Transparency is a huge issue but silarobe's idea is solid and allows us time still to manage the transparency thing. A new acct should be created with Prog or redact at the head

:phone:
Don't put this on me, I'm retired.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
If there isn't any transparency about the donations and who is donating/how much is donated, there is literally no way we can win. They clearly are not in favor of having Smash at EVO. I think it would be cool and all to have Smash there, but we aren't wanted. I really don't see why we are trying to shove ourselves in to an event where people are actively trying to stop us from coming.

Let's just save our money and continue to sustain the community like we have for so long now on our own. We don't need events like EVO to be successful.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
If there isn't any transparency about the donations and who is donating/how much is donated, there is literally no way we can win. They clearly are not in favor of having Smash at EVO. I think it would be cool and all to have Smash there, but we aren't wanted. I really don't see why we are trying to shove ourselves in to an event where people are actively trying to stop us from coming.

Let's just save our money and continue to sustain the community like we have for so long now on our own. We don't need events like EVO to be successful.
Well, put it this way lol. Wouldn't it be just the biggest slap in sakurai's face if we did get smash into a major competitive event? I think THAT ALONE would be worth it. :grin: Really though trolling devs and egos aside, while I do like our "small" community growing it can lead to many great things. Especially more people to play against, there are those among us like myself who are too poor and have absolutely no option to travel who would love being able to simply bike or walk to someones house for smash if the option came up. Growing the community creates possibilities like these. Like it was said on prog's vid, we gotta swallow our pride and push forward if we want it, we cant get scared off like some little kid that got bullied on a playground, we gotta become the bigger kid.

I mean for ****s sake this is a NINTENDO game, THE biggest gaming only company. Who has resources out the *** and a large following, smash isn't some tiny niche game, it's huge. We just gotta grow out and show the casuals that play that they can get in on this **** too. :glare:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
MLP can't win if Mane 6 can't produce a public build by EVO, and they have no intention to.
They'll have to make an entire character, add a ton of moves to the rest of the cast, fix multiple known bugs, and have an open beta to make sure it's balanced before release (which it isn't, ****ing Rarita Knight) by at the very latest the beginning of July so they'll have time to assemble multiple PCs to play on.

That and they'd have the same problem as us where everyone hates them, but worse since there are people that aren't us who like us, which really can't be said about them.

(also hi Meleeers)

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
so basically this has boiled to one of 3 things

scenario 1: we decide to pool $ in an effort to reach evo and somehow win
scenario 2: we decide to pool $ in an effort to reach evo and get crushed by bronies or a random company
scenario 3: we donate to our own community for better and bigger tournaments

i think 2 is definitely the most likely scenario, but i'd love to see melee at evo again. with that in mind, scenario 3 is probably the best result for us. if the rom5 and NEC incidents didn't happen, i bet mr. wizard would have put melee in instead or SFxT or MK.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well even if you donate for SSBM at EVO, you're still doing a good deed.

That's the great thing about it.

I donated. I fear Sony or some other company might just throw in a ton of money randomly just to beat us, but even if we lose, at least we won't have done anything wrong.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I also fear Sony will just jump in and donate like a grand or two (equally good for tax write-offs) and that'll be done.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
I also fear Sony will just jump in and donate like a grand or two (equally good for tax write-offs) and that'll be done.
i don't know why mr. wizard thinks this is a good thing. he said more $ for breast cancer is always good, and while that's true, only fans of fighting games should be able to donate, not companies. it's not like breast cancer is hurting for charity, and it makes a lot of communities completely unable do anything to get their game in. imo we should be in anyway because of the amount of support we garnered, but this just makes it seem like any community melee has isn't considered legit by SRK.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
So we're all gunna give up for fear of sony putting up some dollars? Where the **** is kage? We need some Gurren Lagann up in this shiz.

Edit: Donated for ****s and giggles @biz-r-o I'd rather not split the communities when people are scared of how this will go down but you do what you want. As for communities, ours may be the biggest one on the list besides CvS which is an offshoot of mahvel and I'm pretty sure their community is divided with that game. +They might be worrying about the same **** we are, I'd have waited longer to put any money in but everyone is sounding pretty whiny/give-up-its-futiley so whatever.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
How are Melee and Brawl not in but they have SFxT that, last time I checked, everyone hated?

So we're all gunna give up for fear of sony putting up some dollars?
**** no, I just donated $100 to
Brawl

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
It's very clear that Mr. Wizard and the EVO crew do not consider Smash to be an acceptible fighting game. Ran from earlier in the thread mimic'd many of my thoughts. It's nonsensical for a EVO Poll to be dominated by one list and not be listed as a game without some kind of explanation.

I don't like what is happening, but it is what it is. I cannot confirm nor deny the shadyness that I sense stemming from this charity. All I know is that all the red flags are there.

Do what you feel is right, but my personal statement is to not get your hopes up.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@Omni I'm pretty sure they already had most of those games on the ticket anyway, as our only real competition is My Endless Alpha: Valve Time is Magic and PS All-Stars. While I do think both games deserve to be in anyway, I don't think they're trying to rally against us.

I also agree that Breast Cancer doesn't need that much more support and there are multiple better causes.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Serious question to ALL of you who think the FGC looks down on smash!

When was the last time a non-smash player came up to your smash setup at a tournament and started making BS comments about your game and harassing you?

I have been to the last two EVOs and while playing Melee on our setup NOBODY ever made a rude remark about our game! Throughout the day, people were just walking by and taking quick glances or stood by and watched some games! The REAL FGC are out at tournaments and having a great time, not making BS comments on the internet and shooting down a game!
Would like to highlight this comment.

Random trolls you see on SRK are not good and real representatives of the FGC.

At this point, we shouldn't care that much about our image but getting our game into more FGC events would be great for our community.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@Atlus same can be said for ******* here constantly bashing on other Smash games. If you actually go to a tournament, Melee and Brawl players get along fine.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
Let's say we all donate to a pooled PayPal account. How do we know if the funds are sufficient? The donations aren't transparent, and as far as I know, you can only cancel unclaimed payments. So if another game comes out on top, we can't just say "give me my money back"

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If we're not getting in while anally oblitering the poll, throwing money at charity will not suddenly get us in. They denied Melee for a reason (probs logistics), if we get first in this, second place will just get in instead through some loop of "we didn't -explicitly- say it's guaranteed".

zmx

Smash Lord
@Atlus same can be said for ******* here constantly bashing on other Smash games. If you actually go to a tournament, Melee and Brawl players get along fine.
To be honest regarding this issue, I think it has more to do with people being cowards IRL. Being anonymous on the internet is so powerful, you can say whatever the heck you want and feel perfectly safe.

Now don't get me wrong. A LOT of people are trolls. But others are clearly speaking their minds allowing the safely of the internet to express how they really feel.

I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
This won't work because of the problem you mentioned.

And you know what? This is just further proof how underhanded and shady this whole deal is and should be another red flag to anyone that isn't naive.

It shows they anticipated people trying something like this, but this way they can still get money from communities that never had a shot that donate thinking they still do. For example, say Sony has already donated X amount that the Smash community can't match. There's no way of knowing this. At most we'll know who's in the lead but not by how much.

People accused me of spouting insane consipiracy theories but the more I think about it, the more it just seems like common sense. Really, what other reason would they have to hide the donation amounts?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
It shows they anticipated people trying something like this, but this way they can still get money from communities that never had a shot that donate thinking they still do. For example, say Sony has already donated X amount that the Smash community can't match. There's no way of knowing this.

People accused me of spouting insane consipiracy theories but the more I think about it, the more it just seems like common sense. Really, what other reason would they have to hide the donation amounts?
PSASBR has Ed Ma, Clockwork, Seth Killian behind it, FGC legends. I'm certain Sony knows the marketing that comes with an event like EVO. Doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt though.

zmx

Smash Lord
PSASBR has Ed Ma, Clockwork, Seth Killian behind it, FGC legends. I'm certain Sony knows the marketing that comes with an event like EVO.
Indeed. I actually own the game and have been following it closely ever since its announcement.

Now Superbot and Omar (the head director) has made it clear they will never try to force it into places like Evo. He said he will let the fans decide what they want to do with it and if they do want it at places like Evo, then they will support it.

However, Sony is a different story as you said. And iirc they are actually already an Evo sponser.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
Let's say we all donate to a pooled PayPal account. How do we know if the funds are sufficient? The donations aren't transparent, and as far as I know, you can only cancel unclaimed payments. So if another game comes out on top, we can't just say "give me my money back"
yea we wouldn't want our money to get wasted going to stupid breast cancer research.

zmx

Smash Lord
Just a random (and certainly naive) thought:

A lot of people in here are talking about how big companies will throw in hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to promote their game. If that's true, then would it be possible to motivate Nintendo into promoting Melee?

How could this be a good move for Nintendo?

- It would give Smash more exposure before the release of Smash 4
- Giving money to cancer research is always well perceived, it might be a good opportunity for a company to enhance its image

Obvious drawbacks:

- Why would they promote Melee rather than Brawl?
- If anything, would Nintendo be willing to give money for one of their games to enter EVO?
- If Melee ever won this thanks to Nintendo's help (this is hypothetical) and other games didn't benefit from donations from corporations, what would other fighting game communities think about our legitimacy?

This might be useless to discuss, but considering how people here think big companies will throw in cash, maybe this could be interesting... Again, this is just a genuine thought.
Alright, here's the deal.

Nintendo never have and probably will never support serious competitive play. They have a family friendly image to uphold. And a serious fighting game tournament to them I suppose is as far from family-friendly as you can get. If they saw Smash as more than just a casual party brawler it might be a different story. But they do not.

Still I think it's pretty impressive how far Smash has come when literally everything had to be home grown. With other fighting games, the companies themselves played a huge roll in pushing them in a competitive market.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
To be honest regarding this issue, I think it has more to do with people being cowards IRL. Being anonymous on the internet is so powerful, you can say whatever the heck you want and feel perfectly safe.

Now don't get me wrong. A LOT of people are trolls. But others are clearly speaking their minds allowing the safely of the internet to express how they really feel.
It's not cowardice. Cowardice is the opposite of bravery, which isn't "go into as crowded area and yell at everyone for sucking because they disagree with you" unless you're using the reddit definition. I'd say that those people are the trolls, whereas the actual tournament goers who would fiercely argue on Smashboards wouldn't at a tournament because they're there to play the games and arguing would detract from the atmosphere and waste time they could be spending playing the games.

zmx

Smash Lord
It's not cowardice. Cowardice is the opposite of bravery, which isn't "go into as crowded area and yell at everyone for sucking because they disagree with you" unless you're using the reddit definition. I'd say that those people are the trolls, whereas the actual tournament goers who would fiercely argue on Smashboards wouldn't at a tournament because they're there to play the games and arguing would detract from the atmosphere and waste time they could be spending playing the games.
All the same if a person really hates Smash and think it's a disgrace to be at tournaments...they are probably not going to go into a room full of Smash players and tell them that. However, they can easily blog about it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom