• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
im thinking that was directed at me - i never said we should donate, im honestly gettinhg the vibe that Mr Wizard or w.e the **** his name is just did this for the sole reason of not having smash at evo. I dont know if theyve done it before, and i dont really care. if i wanted to donate for cancer i would do it any other day
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
You know, this is actually a REALLY good idea for people that are worried about where their money goes.
EVO doesn't care about smash, so I don't care about EVO.
Seriously, why would we help these a-holes after all they've done to the Smash Community=??? Besides, we ought to not associate with these losers, especially considering a certain TxSF controversy! :awesome:

Said controversy is just one of the plethora of reasons why this "FG competitive community" is frowned upon by the larger competitive video game community as a whole. The top Melee players agree with that premise anyways, regardless of what people with 112 posts and 2 weeks of SWF posting think.
You're all ****ing morons, and are exactly why people think the Smash Community is full of immature *******s. The money is going to charity, and you guys are concerned about getting a ****ing refund. Jesus ****, I am so done.

If Mr. Wizard and the rest of the EVO staff didn't actually want Smash at EVO, then they wouldn't even have it as a donation option. Never mind the fact that the FGC - and NOT the random trolls - has a lot of respect for Smash, oh goodness no we can't realize that. It's one big persecution complex after another with you ****s. When MLG gave Smash the boot after Mew2King's pot split, I heard nothing but "**** MLG, we don't need them." And as soon as MLG had an open vote for a throwback game, the Smash Community hopped right back onto the MLG bandwagon. I thought that was bad, but the reactions in this thread? Jesus ****ing Christ, I never thought I would be ashamed to be associated with a game's community. Not even Mew2King's vomiting, masturbating, and sleeping at venues made me feel as disgusted as I feel right now.

So you know what? **** everyone in the thread who poopoo'd on this. You are no better than the trolls that you claim are the entirety of the FGC. At least the FGC has never questioned if they're getting their ****ing money back by donating to a charity.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
The more I think about it the more I think we actually stand a good chance as long as Sony doesn't buy an entry for PSAS. If half of the people that voted for melee donated 3-4 dollars we could hit $10,000+ in donations which I think would be hard for the other fighting games that are fighting us for that last spot to overcome.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
You are ignoring the point at hand and arguing semantics. I meant the money from donations, regardless of where it goes. They are maximizing the amount they'll get by keeping the donation amounts secret, it's actually a smart move but not a very ethical one.

The fact remains that there is no way to guarantee Melee winning. That's the main problem at hand. One that no one has found a solution for.

The most reasonable one so far has been Clowsui's idea of withholding the money until they show how much everyone has given, but that's probably not going to work, they are keeping it secret for a reason.

If the FGC gives up on Smash after this, it's not the end of the world since you know...they weren't currently doing anything for Smash to begin with. And putting the "FGC" on some high pedestal just shows that you have an inferiority complex. They have their own problems and issues too and aren't that respected within bigger gaming communities to begin with.
It's not an inferiority complex. Some people want a bigger community, I really don't care about what agency it is. You're an incredibly childish, stupid person bc you just see it as "keep money, get big tournament for selves" when you don't realize how good this would be for competitive smash and thqt in the end you're just donating money to a charity if we lose.

:phone:

zmx

Smash Lord
It's not an inferiority complex. Some people want a bigger community, I really don't care about what agency it is. You're an incredibly childish, stupid person bc you just see it as "keep money, get big tournament for selves" when you don't realize how good this would be for competitive smash and thqt in the end you're just donating money to a charity if we lose.

What proof does anyone have that it would do good or bad for Smash? I hear a lot of assumptions on this. It's been at Evo before including Melee. Has the perspective changed? Is it respected more because of it? No. Clearly it's not featured at most traditional fighting game tournaments.

What will make it different this time? Can you explain this?

You can have a big tournament for Smash while simultaneously using a percent of the winnings for charity. The difference is there is no gamble involved in this method, you know exactly how much and where the money is going and everyone involved including the Smash community wins.

Bones0

Smash Legend
that was proven fake already
OMG! NOW WAY!!!

so basically this has boiled to one of 3 things

scenario 1: we decide to pool $ in an effort to reach evo and somehow win
scenario 2: we decide to pool $ in an effort to reach evo and get crushed by bronies or a random company
scenario 3: we donate to our own community for better and bigger tournaments

i think 2 is definitely the most likely scenario, but i'd love to see melee at evo again. with that in mind, scenario 3 is probably the best result for us. if the rom5 and NEC incidents didn't happen, i bet mr. wizard would have put melee in instead or SFxT or MK.
I doubt RoM and NEC had anything to do with Melee not getting in. People split (it happens), and two guys had a physical altercation. That's hardly a good reason to exclude the entire community, and if anyone associated with Evo ever says that was the deciding factor, then they're just scapegoating the people involved in those incidents.

I figure the whole breast cancer awareness thing was set up before they even made the poll. It can't be a coincidence that the one year Evo has a poll for games to vote their way into the event that they also have a donation drive with the games who placed high in the poll...

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
There was never a way to guarantee Melee winning in any scenario >__> it's entirely possible for another community to legit beat us in donations without the help of sponsors.

When we did the Facebook poll we weren't guaranteed to win, NOR was the winner even guaranteed to be in EVO! AT LEAST IN THIS CASE, THE WINNER IS GUARANTEED IN. I don't get why the hell you guys wouldn't want to try, we clearly showed that the community is capable of destroying the competition in numbers, we just have to do it again.

So stop thinking that we're supposed to be "guaranteed" a win, we're not. Like any real competition we have to TRY--I think if everyone gave $5 we'd have a really good shot. That's literally like half a meal at a restaurant, or a Jamba Juice drink, and this game is something you've all presumably spent YEARS playing and putting your heart into, $5 is NEGLIGIBLE in that context. Man the **** up and donate if you care about giving Smash a shot at EVO.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
if physical altercations stopped games from getting into evo, marvel probably wouldn't be involved LOL

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
What proof does anyone have that it would do good or bad for Smash? I hear a lot of assumptions on this. It's been at Evo before including Melee. Has the perspective changed? Is it respected more because of it? No. Clearly it's not featured at most traditional fighting game tournaments.

What will make it different this time? Can you explain this?

You can have a big tournament for Smash while simultaneously using a percent of the winnings for charity. The difference is there is no gamble involved in this method, everyone involved including the Smash community wins.
If it wasn't for EVO, competitive melee prolly wouldn't exist anymore dude. You're just an idiot who equates donating to a charity and possibly seeing our game in EVO as gambling.

zmx

Smash Lord
If it wasn't for EVO, competitive melee prolly wouldn't exist anymore dude. You're just an idiot who equates donating to a charity and possibly seeing our game in EVO as gambling.

You heard it here first folks.

Evo and the "FGC" the only reason competitive Smash exists. The Smash community itself? Irrelevant, they've done nothing for themselves, ever.

I apoligize for being so narrow minded I never realized this before. It makes so much sense.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
You're all ****ing morons, and are exactly why people think the Smash Community is full of immature *******s. The money is going to charity, and you guys are concerned about getting a ****ing refund. Jesus ****, I am so done.

If Mr. Wizard and the rest of the EVO staff didn't actually want Smash at EVO, then they wouldn't even have it as a donation option. Never mind the fact that the FGC - and NOT the random trolls - has a lot of respect for Smash, oh goodness no we can't realize that. It's one big persecution complex after another with you ****s. When MLG gave Smash the boot after Mew2King's pot split, I heard nothing but "**** MLG, we don't need them." And as soon as MLG had an open vote for a throwback game, the Smash Community hopped right back onto the MLG bandwagon. I thought that was bad, but the reactions in this thread? Jesus ****ing Christ, I never thought I would be ashamed to be associated with a game's community. Not even Mew2King's vomiting, masturbating, and sleeping at venues made me feel as disgusted as I feel right now.

So you know what? **** everyone in the thread who poopoo'd on this. You are no better than the trolls that you claim are the entirety of the FGC. At least the FGC has never questioned if they're getting their ****ing money back by donating to a charity.
i like you

whoever you are

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Illegitimate? This is absolute bull **********************************, we DOMINATED the public polls, those MORONS.
I have never in my life facepalmed so hard and felt such rage.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Illegitimate? This is absolute bull **********************************, we DOMINATED the public polls, those MORONS.
Where on the poll did it say that the top-voted game had a clear shot at getting into EVO? Because I would love to see that for myself.
i like you

whoever you are
shhhhh

Warhawk

Smash Lord

I mean that's a oversimplification of a lot of the people in this thread. We have a right to be legitimately concerned about a charity drive being used as the method of getting us into evo when we already dominated their poll and this next path of getting our game into evo seems almost designed toward favoring a game that has a strong backing by the company that made it as opposed to a strong community backing it that would bring a good scene to evo. This is even magnified when we can't even see the numbers to make sure stuff like that isn't happening. Also some people that would donate to causes on their own anyways would probably rather donate to another charity than one such as breast cancer which has plenty of funding, especially if we have no shot if a company such as Sony buys their way in.

That being said I think we need to stop looking at this as a ploy by evo. We probably do have a shot barring Sony screwing us.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
guiz

If there isn't a transparent way to view who is winning in the donation race, WHAT THE **** DOES IT MATTER??

WE WON"T BE ABLE TO EVER KNOW IF WE WON. THEY WILL JUST PUT IN WHATEVER GAME THEY WANT AND SAY THEY WON.

ALSO, SONY HAS A VERY LARGE REASON TO BUY IN TO EVO. IT WILL HELP MARKET THEIR ****TY GAME, GIVE THEM PUBLICITY ("MUH CHARITY"), AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT DONATING LARGE AMOUNTS TO CHARITY ALSO REWARDS TAX CUTS.

MELEE LITERALLY HAS A 0% CHANCE. IT SUCKS. I KNOW. LET'S GET OVER IT AND PLAY THE SMASH AND **** AND HAVE FUN LIKE WE ALWAYS HAVE.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THROUGH THIS ****?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Yo HKS. You the man.

So, if we won. And if they ask for a TO from the community. My vote is for JuggleGuy. Best representative of our community for sure. And best TO

zmx

Smash Lord
We've been over this. The Poll never implied anywhere the winner was going to 100% get in. It wasn't "Pick the game you want at Evo for sure!!!" it was more along the lines of "What do you want to see at Evo?".

Technically they broke no promise.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Where on the poll did it say that the top-voted game had a clear shot at getting into EVO? Because I would love to see that for myself.
Of course nowhere, sir, however it does follow logically that the fighting game with the most support would be at EVO, but as I have said other places, I have NO idea the methodology they use to choose games at EVO.
I'm not saying that they broke promises, because as you have all said, they did not, and I am just as happy to donate to breast cancer research to get my beloved Melee there.
It's not on grounds of technicality that I'm concerned, It's on grounds of the fighting game community.

Oh, and I embellished the rage a little bit *blush*

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
And the point of hiding the totals raisd by each community is NOT to **** melee out of EVO, it's bc they want to raise money for breast cancer and only that. They aren't as ****ty as you guys are.

And why the hell would companies throw money down to get their game in? EVO isn't that big a deal when it comes to getting their game sold, the people watching are already playing.

If EVO really wanted to donate the money and nothing else, it would be to a more better charity than Brest Cancer Awareness, or at the very least, be to a charity of the donator's choosing.

If EVO really wanted to donate the money and nothing else, they would have no problems being more transparent about the donations.

If people really wanted to donate money, they wouldn't need a "buy your game into EVO" fund to do it.

This is a very silly idea, but I'm holding off on any value judgements or assumptions about the nature of this fund for the time being. It's very suspect but I'll leave it at that.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Instead of *****ing how about we go about it in the correct way. By that I mean, using logic and reason to make our points to the FGC about why it should be transparant and go from there. They've made it clear they don't hate us and they wouldn't mind us being in.

Instead it's like a bunch of little kid's crying to their mommy because it isn't fair. Especially people like Mr. Cockmaster up there. Geezis christ how old are you

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
It's so typical of us smashers to believe that in situations like this we're going to get left out, embarrassed...robed.

i say this time it worth it, this could be our very last chance to return the fist gentlemen, let them see who we really are, this time they'll never forget us

clowsui

Smash Legend
Reposted from other thread:

It has nothing to do with whether or not we lose.

It has to do with the fact that there are LEGITIMATE TRANSPARENCY ISSUES. Other people have touched on the fact that they could make up results, but I want to look solely at the possibility that Melee loses in actuality.

Everybody would be happy to proceed with the donation fund irrespective of whether or not we win. HOWEVER, IF YOU GO HERE, YOU'll SEE THAT MONEY FROM YOUR WEPAY ACCOUNT CAN ONLY EITHER GO TO A BANK ACCOUNT OF YOUR CHOICE OR A PAPER CHECK. Mr. Wizard could very well collect it as a tax break (which might be equally disgusting), or god forbid, might take any part of the funds into his own account. I'm not saying he's likely to do either but the fact that we don't have very much protection against these things is somewhat startling, wouldn't you say?

This is a SERIOUS problem. If we don't get more information about how this fund works, then I am not entirely sure I could advocate for donations in good conscience.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
If EVO really wanted to donate the money and nothing else, they would have no problems being more transparent about the donations.
Actually, there are very legitmate concerns to keep the donations private.

Imagine you are the MLP community hoping to get your game into evo. You look at the polls, and lo, those guys over at the Smash Brothers community already raised 10K in 3 days. Damn, I guess there's no point in us MLP players even trying anymore.

And guess who the real loser is? Breast Cancer.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Reposted from other thread:

It has nothing to do with whether or not we lose.

It has to do with the fact that there are LEGITIMATE TRANSPARENCY ISSUES. Other people have touched on the fact that they could make up results, but I want to look solely at the possibility that Melee loses in actuality.

Everybody would be happy to proceed with the donation fund irrespective of whether or not we win. HOWEVER, IF YOU GO HERE, YOU'll SEE THAT MONEY FROM YOUR WEPAY ACCOUNT CAN ONLY EITHER GO TO A BANK ACCOUNT OF YOUR CHOICE OR A PAPER CHECK. Mr. Wizard could very well collect it as a tax break (which might be equally disgusting), or god forbid, might take any part of the funds into his own account. I'm not saying he's likely to do either but the fact that we don't have very much protection against these things is somewhat startling, wouldn't you say?

This is a SERIOUS problem. If we don't get more information about how this fund works, then I am not entirely sure I could advocate for donations in good conscience.
Life tip: You're allowed to have more than one bank account.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
A good argument should be made up and then in an intelligent and formal way be discussed with them. This is a big opportunity for our community.

Also, good point JPOBS, definitely true.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace

Imagine you are the MLP community hoping to get your game into evo. You look at the polls, and lo, those guys over at the Smash Brothers community already raised 10K in 3 days. Damn, I guess there's no point in us MLP players even trying anymore.

I hope you're trolling, because this is ********

If at any point a group has raised enough money to completely discourage another from trying, then you must have raised a **** ton of money at that point

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

This is actually a very good point.

Smooth Criminal

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Smash community: 6000 votes to get their game in

$314 dollars donated to breast cancer to get their game in

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I hope you're trolling, because this is ********

If at any point a group has raised enough money to completely discourage another from trying, then you must have raised a **** ton of money at that point
I'm baffled by your ignorance.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I think that something that a lot of people seem to be overlooking when they say things like " why spend money on Evo and not get in when we could just put that money towards apex/genesis/whatever?" is what would that accomplish in expanding the scene? Those tournaments are going to be about the same size regardless of how much money is thrown at them; that is to say, they aren't going to magically break 400-500 if we put money towards them. However, if we do manage to get to Evo we would certainly be exposing new players to Melee and, in doing so, actually growing the scene by potentially bringing in newer players, and also, potentially getting older players interested again by allowing for a new experience.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I'm baffled by your ignorance.
I'm baffled by your naivete

let me put it to you this way

I have NEVER heard of a competitive fundraiser for something as large as this where the numbers are kept hidden until the very end.

What makes it particularly suspicious is that there is already CLEARLY an internal bias against smash in the belly EVO. It's like they already got schooled in that stupid fbook poll and now have to resort to some sketchy donation with a charity slapped on to it to give us the "chance" we are asking for.

Please don't act like this is seriously all about DUH BREAST CANCER

clowsui

Smash Legend
Life tip: You're allowed to have more than one bank account.
We have no knowledge as to whose account it goes into.

Meanwhile, methods such as Chipin and Kickstarter donate directly to the charity. Why not those? Given the deliberation that they attested to going through, it would seem odd if they didn't think about this part too.

The lack of transparency on donation totals is a nice point until you remember that the selfishness that people are being accused of on the account of suspicion should also be placed on the people who don't want to donate simply because their game is falling behind, lol

And because I'm apparently at the risk of being misunderstood, I'm ultimately hoping for donations and I will actually donate myself soon. I just want an answer from the EVO staff about the legitimate transparency issues going on.

zmx

Smash Lord

And that's just deceptive for the communities involved. It's giving people false hope. I have already said that might be a reason why they are doing this but it doesn't make it fair.

Means don't justify the end. And it's been said a million times but apparently it needs to be said again.

Breast Cancer research already gets a ton of donations. As in billions. Literally billions. There are countless other charities (many of which are in more dire immediate need) that aren't nearly as fortunate.

People have the right to know how much is being donated (as most charity drives will tell you anyway) and should also have the option to donate to more needy charities.

And once again this is the best case scenario. Right now there is NO protection from fraud as Clowsui said. We have no way of knowing how much money is being donated and as a result, where it's going. That doesn't mean "ZOMG U CONZIPERACY THEORIZT WACKO" we are simply saying it's a possibility. Do you wear seatbelts because you expect to crash everyday? Same idea here, it's just assurance.

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
What needs to happen is donation amounts need to be made public so a corporation can outspend the leading game's amount in one go at the last minute, assuring they don't give more to charity than necessary instead of blindly guessing and risking they don't get their game in.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
We have no knowledge as to whose account it goes into.

Meanwhile, methods such as Chipin and Kickstarter donate directly to the charity. Why not those? Given the deliberation that they attested to going through, it would seem odd if they didn't think about this part too.

The lack of transparency on donation totals is a nice point until you remember that the selfishness that people are being accused of on the account of suspicion should also be placed on the people who don't want to donate simply because their game is falling behind, lol
You really think that EVO, one of (if not THE) biggest FG tournament of the year, is going to risk that much bad press by misappropriating funds from a reputable charity? Not to even mention the possible legal ramifications of such an act...

They've been doing this for more than a decade...and you think they're willing to throw that all away just to spite Smash players? Are you seriously that dense?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
as in all of you are being ****ing disgusting.
Sorry, my rage got me at first, and as has been said I'm not concerned with the Breast Cancer thing because I support other good charities and services and I CERTAINLY wouldn't mind donating for that cause. The issue here, at least with me, isn't the proposed ramifications of the rage at the EVO guys or whoever gets to decide, but the sadness it represents, not for breast cancer's sake, or whatever other cause's sake, but for the fighting game community's sake.

I hope more people have his mind set, but rather than have any sort of spite we simply move on. . . by donating to a good cause.

But then questions of 'legitimacy' pop up, and to that I say this: No matter what god you believe in, no matter what Eldrich being, no matter even if you believe in the great nothing after death, we ALL face eternal judgement, and justice WILL be done.
But that's some cosmic karma stuff, and as an appeal to the rest, don't count on groups of people well in the public eye to commit crimes of this magnitude in the ordinary, it is only in extraordinary cases this would happen, for they have FAR more and too much to lose.

clowsui

Smash Legend
You really think that EVO, one of (if not THE) biggest FG tournament of the year, is going to risk that much bad press by misappropriating funds from a reputable charity? Not to even mention the possible legal ramifications of such an act...

They've been doing this for more than a decade...and you think they're willing to throw that all away just to spite Smash players? Are you seriously that dense?
Did you not see the part of my post where I acknowledged that this possibility was highly unlikely?

I am trying my hardest to be civil here. I'd be very appreciative if you could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom