• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
yea we wouldn't want our money to get wasted going to stupid breast cancer research.
Honestly, I'd rather my money go towards the Smash community. Breast cancer already receives the most funding of any charity, to the point where "breast cancer awareness" is a for-profit industry of its own

Warhawk

Smash Lord
If they really want to test to make sure all of the melee votes were for real and that an actual community would show up at an evo event, then why wouldn't they create a charity drive with a cap on the donation amount to prevent a company from pushing a game through to evo without an actual community for the game to show up at an evo event?

Kinda skeptical at this point...

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I think they might be doing this to see how many people exclusively voted for each game. For example, it was pretty obvious that Brawl players were voting for Melee but not so much the other way around.

zmx

Smash Lord
I think they might be doing this to see how many people exclusively voted for each game. For example, it was pretty obvious that Brawl players were voting for Melee but not so much the other way around.
To be fair, they never promised anything.

The Poll was worded along the lines of "What do you want to see at Evo?" not "Pick a game to be at Evo for sure!".

In other words I think people are taking that Poll too seriously. I understand a lot of people assumed it was the latter and Evo Staff no doubt know this, but they didn't technically lie or go back on their word for anything.

I agree it's a slap in the face regardless.

If they really want to test to make sure all of the melee votes were for real and that an actual community would show up at an evo event, then why wouldn't they create a charity drive with a cap on the donation amount to prevent a company from pushing a game through to evo without an actual community for the game to show up at an evo event?

Kinda skeptical at this point...
Isn't it obvious? They are trying to get as much money as possible, why on earth would they impose a cap? Hiding the donation amounts is further proof of this.

During that joke post about a MLP guy donating 500 grand they said it was a joke but they wouldn't mind people donating a small fortune.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
The thing they have acomplished to divide the smash community cause its note the same to vote than donate. So which will it be Brawl or melee.

I think people should focus on supporting melee that has more chance than Brawl ;)

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
i feel optimistic, i can see us probably winning this, we have proved it before, there is nothing that can stop us when it comes to honor our game, but it also feels like we're buying our way into EVO, of course it's for a good couse, but there is a fog of insecurity around it.

do we need to be at EVO?, Yes (for so many good reasons)
but it's going to be hard, we might get disappointed

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
^ I like this idea, we should nominate someone who's reliable, active and willing from the community to form a "Smash Bank". The money would be used to player funds and tournament organization costs. The decision where to you direct the money to at any given time should be left up to polls and the community. I think it could bring the community together more, but it would have to be organized well to avoid any "mess-ups".

Now on the topic itself, I'm usually very positive minded and optimistic about these kinds of things (EVO & stuff) but I hate to agree with many negative yet reasonable points made in this thread. I kinda feel for EVO to ask gaming communities to donate for charity to MAYBE get their game into the even is bit twisted. Yet it's a convenient way for EVO to deal with the issue (Facebook poll). I am actually happy that we and the poll haven't been ignored but seeing this charity-thing leaves salty taste in my mouth. It's because, as already pointed out in this thread, it seems that this latest twist was just a doorway for some big company to get their game into EVO instead of a community, as obviously big companies have resources (money) and motives (exposure -> money). As we (or at least I am) as a community are left quite confused whether or not to donate, EVO would deal with the poll issue by saying "You wanted Melee? So why didn't you donate?" as if it was completely our fault Melee would not make it in.

/offtopic

I also agree with Redact and others that breast cancer research gets lot of money which I highly doubt is all used in beneficial purposes. For the commercialized for-profit health care industry cancer is just another way to make money. There are several cures for cancer but they are overlooked because companies would not profit as much due to the effectiveness of the treatments. No conspiracies, just business.

Landry

Smash Ace
However, is it worth us putting a lot of money into this Evo thing while there's a significant chance we'll lose out?

What if we gather all this money and put it towards adding another international tournament for Melee. We can even do some charity event as well. I think it's hard to trust this voting method at the moment.

zmx

Smash Lord
However, is it worth us putting a lot of money into this Evo thing while there's a significant chance we'll lose out?

What if we gather all this money and put it towards adding another international tournament for Melee. We can even do some charity event as well. I think it's hard to trust this voting method at the moment.
That's the best course of action if you guys are strongly motivated to donate to a charity and still get a terrific Smash event going.

Host the event yourselves, have say, a certain percent of all winnings go to charity. There is no gamble, everyone wins and people know exactly where the money is going (you can decide on what charity yourselves or even have multiple ones for people to choose when they enter).

Hax

Smash Champion
if the amounts donated for each game aren't shown then there's no way we can get involved in this

how are we to know that Sony didn't just drop $100,000 to get PSA into Evo?

sucks because this could REALLY put melee back on the map. i disagree with those who think pooling our money together for a grand tournament would be better than this. this could be the last chance we'll ever have to stop being an underground community and make melee official

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
...And this is the excuse.

The excuse they conjured is an interesting one. But, having ST and 3s compete against everything else is really a shame too. The worst part of this 'challenge' is that it's a complete gamble, to a proven to be questionable organization.

if the amounts donated for each game aren't shown then there's no way we can get involved in this

how are we to know that Sony didn't just drop $100,000 to get PSA into Evo?

sucks because this could REALLY put melee back on the map. i disagree with those who think pooling our money together for a grand tournament would be better than this. this could be the last chance we'll ever have to stop being an underground community and make melee official
I was going to post something like this, but I thought it would be too cynical. However, exactly this. Or someone or a few people will put in whatever amount (based upon the premise of them knowing all donations, because someone will know) for a determined outcome.

clowsui

Smash Legend
so what we should do right now is pool our money into one paypal/chipin account and keep pressing EVO staff for visibility

that's a win-win scenario

if we DON'T get any answers then we just return the money to everyone

if we DO get an answer that's satisfactory then we put in the money

if we DO get an answer that's NOT satisfactory then we return the money

We only have 3 weeks

WHY ARE WE DAWDLING
10letsdothis

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Go ahead and donate for Genesis 3 then, I mean they haven't asked for donations because people pay to cover the venue cost already and we have established streamers in the community but I'm sure TOs could do with some money in their pocket.

Honestly, if Alex Strife needed money I'm betting most wouldn't donate and if they did it'd still be keeping the community in the community.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
the 8th game for evo 2013 is players choice!!
The game with the most money donated for breast cancer gets in!!
LETS DO THIS!!!
If I donate, and melee doesn't win. Do I get my money back?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
No, you do not.

You putting your money in puts it toward breat cancer research. At the end there's going to be a tally of how much money each game raised and the game that raised the most will be the 8th game on the evo lineup.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If it were a better cause

if we knew that companies weren't gonna get involved

if we knew they wouldn't use a bull**** ruleset

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Tbh, I'm surprised at the responses I've been viewing here. I honestly thought that we would have a fighting chance when I was watching the stream, it's kind of disheartening to see so many of you against donating.

My personal feeling in it is that if we all decide to rally AGAINST Evo and not participate in the donation drive at all, it will put us in a very negative light for future Evos. If anybody saw the ultrachen show, James Chen commented how the Guilty Gear community was about to do something similar to what we're thinking of right now! Pool our money and go against Evo, and luckily persuaded them to make an incredible side tourney to show support.

If we at least try to get in, we can be viewed as a strong community that shows undying support for the game. Even if we lose because Sony decides to drop 100k or w/e, and we only raised like 10k and end up in 2nd place they will still see that, and think of us in the future.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Tbh, I'm surprised at the responses I've been viewing here. I honestly thought that we would have a fighting chance when I was watching the stream, it's kind of disheartening to see so many of you against donating.

My personal feeling in it is that if we all decide to rally AGAINST Evo and not participate in the donation drive at all, it will put us in a very negative light for future Evos.
Why should people allow Evo to blackmail the Smash community as you just implied? Donate generously or you don't come back. It's an implied threat with no transparency that many here are smart to question.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@Anthony: here's an FAQ:

Q: it was all Brawl's fault!

A: no it wasn't, the stuff that happened in Brawl weren't Brawl exclusive problems (ruleset *****ing, splitting, etc.) I know this is the Melee forum (and I wouldn't be here if my thread wasn't locked), but half your post was "Brawl sucks Melee 4eva!!!" when what game was actually played has nothing to do with anything.

@Night Shadow even if they choose it they'll need a finished public build, and they still have an entire character left.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
right. this is too easy. I think if a game they like more gets second they could skip us/blame same people they blamed melee winning the polls on
Do you really think they're that bitter? We aren't as important to them as they are to us. At all. They really are doing this bc a lot of games have a chance of getting in, and it's for a good cause and a good way to settle it.

I hate how there's immature *** holes like this in our community

:phone:

zmx

Smash Lord

A: no it wasn't, the stuff that happened in Brawl weren't Brawl exclusive problems (ruleset *****ing, splitting, etc.) I know this is the Melee forum (and I wouldn't be here if my thread wasn't locked), but half your post was "Brawl sucks Melee 4eva!!!" when what game was actually played has nothing to do with anything.

@Night Shadow even if they choose it they'll need a finished public build, and they still have an entire character left.
This. I wanted to take that post seriously but from beginning to end it was nothing but a painfully bitter and biased rant and not just against Brawl. It was basically "I worship Melee, all those other games are pure trash WE NEED TO GET IN!!!!".

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
A majority of the beliefs behind not wanting to donate are entirely based around assumptions into weird conspiracies. It's all "no it all makes sense because of these things I do not have 100% factual evidence on and everything messed up because of other people not us because we're perfect special little snowflakes WAKE UP SHEEPLE". In doing so, you're completely squandering the one shot you have at doing anything notable in the FGC, because while you might have looked big years ago, the FGC is big enough now where a majority of the games at EVO are bigger at best, and they tower over this community at worst.

Christ, if James Chen thought you all weren't bitter in 2007, you sure look like it now.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wrong. We don`t know how much of the donations will end up in their own pocket. This could be a money grabbing ploy. Tournaments in the past have been known to not payout the players properly for example. Heck I`m pretty sure it`s happened in Smash as well.

Not saying it will happen, but I`m still sceptical they are actually seriously considering Melee. I`d love to be wrong.
Seriously, why would we help these a-holes after all they've done to the Smash Community=??? Besides, we ought to not associate with these losers, especially considering a certain TxSF controversy! :awesome:

Said controversy is just one of the plethora of reasons why this "FG competitive community" is frowned upon by the larger competitive video game community as a whole. The top Melee players agree with that premise anyways, regardless of what people with 112 posts and 2 weeks of SWF posting think.

zmx

Smash Lord
A majority of the beliefs behind not wanting to donate are entirely based around assumptions into weird conspiracies. It's all "no it all makes sense because of these things I do not have 100% factual evidence on and everything messed up because of other people not us because we're perfect special little snowflakes WAKE UP SHEEPLE".
There's no conspiracy that they are going about this in a shady and underhanded way.

They are not going to tell the donation amounts, they flatout said this. The most innocent reason possible for this is they don't want X community to see that Y community already has 500 grand so it's impossible for anyone to catch up and thus do not donate. And that's the best case scenario.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
How can we know for sure that melee raised the most money if the totals aren't public? They could just pick another game even if melee suceeded.

so basically we just have to trust them.
Now this is podracing

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068

What. I thought everybody thought Brawl at Evo 2k8 was a fiasco. One sentence said Brawl was ****, the rest did not. That's hardly half.

zmx

Smash Lord
How can we know for sure that melee raised the most money if the totals aren't public?
You don't. That's the point. It allows them to maximize the money donated since there's no way of knowing presumably until the drive is over.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I personally think that the amount of eyes watching Melee at one time at EVO outweighs the (possible) negative aspects of joining the FGC for a weekend.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
There's no conspiracy that they are going about this in a shady and underhanded way.

They are not going to tell the donation amounts, they flatout said this. The most innocent reason possible for this is they don't want X community to see that Y community already has 500 grand so it's impossible for anyone to catch up and thus do not donate. And that's the best case scenario.
You just took a single problem and stretched it out to "because THEY WANT US DEAD DON'T YOU SEE".

Go back to more exciting truther stuff, at least I can laugh at that. This is just kind of sad, if anything.

zmx

Smash Lord
You just took a single problem and stretched it out to "because THEY WANT US DEAD DON'T YOU SEE".

Go back to more exciting truther stuff, at least I can laugh at that. This is just kind of sad, if anything.
Where did I say they want Melee dead anywhere? I'm saying they are maximizing the profit and that this is a huge gamble for EVERY community that participates since there's no way to guarantee a win. How is that not obvious? It's one problem but it is a big one.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
You guys were all about it when we just had to vote. I hope they see all this talk about investing money into our own community instead of breast cancer awareness and disqualify this ****ty community from the one thing that could put it on the map.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
And the point of hiding the totals raisd by each community is NOT to **** melee out of EVO, it's bc they want to raise money for breast cancer and only that. They aren't as ****ty as you guys are.

And why the hell would companies throw money down to get their game in? EVO isn't that big a deal when it comes to getting their game sold, the people watching are already playing.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"Maximizing the pro--" Nope I'm done. You can't say that in sincerity to something where all money goes to a charity and not get laughed out of the building. Of course, you also think the idea of it going to charity is a "marketing scheme" because ??? ??? ? ? ??

I'm out. If you all want to sit down and hide in your own puddles of bitterness just so you don't have to actively do something in order to get noticed, then you go do that. Just try to not act surprised when the rest of the FGC is cautious about going near you the next time you get a chance.

zmx

Smash Lord
"Maximizing the pro--" Nope I'm done. You can't say that in sincerity to something where all money goes to a charity and not get laughed out of the building. Of course, you also think the idea of it going to charity is a "marketing scheme" because ??? ??? ? ? ??

I'm out. If you all want to sit down and hide in your own puddles of bitterness just so you don't have to actively do something in order to get noticed, then you go do that. Just try to not act surprised when the rest of the FGC is cautious about going near you the next time you get a chance.
You are ignoring the point at hand and arguing semantics. I meant the money from donations, regardless of where it goes. They are maximizing the amount they'll get by keeping the donation amounts secret, it's actually a smart move but not a very ethical one.

The fact remains that there is no way to guarantee Melee winning. That's the main problem at hand. One that no one has found a solution for.

The most reasonable one so far has been Clowsui's idea of withholding the money until they show how much everyone has given, but that's probably not going to work, they are keeping it secret for a reason.

If the FGC gives up on Smash after this, it's not the end of the world since you know...they weren't currently doing anything for Smash to begin with. And putting the "FGC" on some high pedestal just shows that you have an inferiority complex. They have their own problems and issues too and aren't that respected within bigger gaming communities to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom