• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Naota21t

Smash Champion
dajuan next time we play imma make a point to point out every little thing you do that not do efficiently.

you gotta maximize the wackness.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
A tip for wavedash->Grab; when you do the wavedash, hold L/R and simply press A to do the grab. If you use Z instead of R+A and mis-time the button input, you'll just light shield instead of grabbing, which sucks.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
A tip for wavedash->Grab; when you do the wavedash, hold L/R and simply press A to do the grab. If you use Z instead of R+A and mis-time the button input, you'll just light shield instead of grabbing, which sucks.
I tried this a bit on CPU's earlier today. Helped a lot, thanks.

Any last tips for the Falcon matchup? I'll be practicing with a falcon main tomorrow.

poega

Smash Apprentice
never ever let him back on stage, be ready to bair him like 6 times without messing up.
dont rely on pills to keep u safe, even from a decent range he can nair and **** through the pill and get u in no time. use upsmash.

Gea

Smash Master
Disagree on the basis that they can use the platforms way better and it's a struggle to even get up on the top one with Doc. I don't think the benefit of the long bottom is worth it unless you really are on point with both getting grabs and following through. But really it's about going where you are most comfortable.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I was thinking FD myself, but I have to work on my CGs.

everyone will ban FD from you.....
Actually, I'm a Peach main, so spacies usually ban FoD against me. If they do ban FD however, I'd probably stick to Peach/FoD, unless I feel comfortable with Doc on another stage. I was thinking Stadium would also be good.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
why would you use doc as a fox counter, especially as a peach main? fox is probably doc's hardest matchup

:phone:

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
why would you use doc as a fox counter, especially as a peach main? fox is probably doc's hardest matchup

Doc vs Fox is definitely not his hardest, it's my favorite actually. You can get away with a lot fighting Fox as doc. At least shine to u.smash isn't as intimidating as it is with Peach.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It's prolly because one, he is pretty comfortable with using doc instead of peach. In that situation, it doesn't matter who counters who, as long as you are comfortable, you'll do better. And what Lemon said. Falco or Shiek is harder. ;-;

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
He is a tough one as well. I just think shiek can be a bit more frustrating. Easier to gimp.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I'm not too great at the matchup with Peach, and I just feel a lot more confident with Doc. Besides, there's the element of Doc being not that frequently used, so you never when you'll run into a Fox that doesn't know the matchup.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too great at the matchup with Peach, and I just feel a lot more confident with Doc. Besides, there's the element of Doc being not that frequently used, so you never when you'll run into a Fox that doesn't know the matchup.
yeah, that's true. i guess im just used to foxes that know how to play doc, cause the best player in my city used to play doc, and now plays fox, so his fox ***** doc haha. but still, it's a tough matchup for doc, it just seems easier cause doc can punish fox hard, but so can a lot of characters. doc does have really good gimping tools though

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
What about doc v Falcon? I thought Falcon was probably his hardest next to faclo's. Or is that just me sucking at the match up?
Falcon is probably more in doc's favour if you're good at the matchup TBH, space back airs to gimp him easy and cape his recovery when possible, for throws just go with dthrows to Cg if u can or dsmash, and just always try and knock him off the map and space bairs just far enough so they cant grab you with up-b

EndlessSummer101

Smash Rookie
I think Doc has a disadvantage fighting people who are extremely quick (Fox, Falcon, Marth..). Unless they mess up, it can be difficult to get hits in.

In my experience, Doc can work well with anybody. I've been in teams with a wide variety of characters, and it usually turns out pretty well. :)

Griffard

Smash Ace
Shroomed, please don't quit the Doc, man, you're the only legit Doc there is.

That being said, what the hell is Doc supposed to do against Sheik? I'm working my *** off to lose sets 1-2 against players who aren't as good as me when they go Sheik. Seriously, it's such a huge effort to just not get hit, and I find Sheik not the easiest to combo.

Other than playing against Sheik and sometimes Link (no idea why) I'm so in love with Doc. He's the most fun character for my style, I think. After years of searching, I'm pretty sure Doc is my dude. He's still not better than either of my space animals, but I'm willing to put in the work.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I've lost my Doc flare. Sorry guys.

Sheik here I come.
Sheik this time? Who do you think you will play at Apex?

I go on and off with doc, sometimes I feel like I'm better with spacies or falcon, but sometimes playing doc just feels so right, and I have never felt that with any other character, and I pretty much play all of them. Is this somewhat how you feel, or do you mean something else by Doc flare? I'm also curious in how other people feel about maining Doc.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Sheik this time? Who do you think you will play at Apex?

I go on and off with doc, sometimes I feel like I'm better with spacies or falcon, but sometimes playing doc just feels so right, and I have never felt that with any other character, and I pretty much play all of them. Is this somewhat how you feel, or do you mean something else by Doc flare? I'm also curious in how other people feel about maining Doc.
Yo I TOTALLY feel you, I feel pretty much exactly the same way. Like, exactly. Spacies and falcon are more successful for me often, (especially in doubles) but Doc feels so good, man! Nothing feels better than just putting in work with that little guy. I've only been maining Doc for a little bit, but flying back to IL tomorrow and trying to get in a TON of Doc play against people who are better than me, and I'm committed to playing almost only Doc. I don't really want to play a better character, I just want to be better WITH him.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad someone feels the same way. About sheik, I'd say that edgeguarding can really make a huge difference in that matchup. Just keep in mind that when sheik lands on the stage, her recovery is laggy as ****, so all sheiks want to grab the ledge when they can. When you're at low percents, you can pretty much CC anything sheik has, so expect grabs at low percents. If a sheik attacks you when you're both at low percent, I would go for a CC grab and from there either chain grab or combo as long as I can. Shroomed is pretty good vs sheik, I would watch what he does and analyze the **** out of it.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I'm glad someone feels the same way. About sheik, I'd say that edgeguarding can really make a huge difference in that matchup. Just keep in mind that when sheik lands on the stage, her recovery is laggy as ****, so all sheiks want to grab the ledge when they can. When you're at low percents, you can pretty much CC anything sheik has, so expect grabs at low percents. If a sheik attacks you when you're both at low percent, I would go for a CC grab and from there either chain grab or combo as long as I can. Shroomed is pretty good vs sheik, I would watch what he does and analyze the **** out of it.
Yeah I was just youtubing all his matches against Sheik this year (for the zillionth time). Thanks for the tips. Basically I think to win the matchup, you just can't **** up. Or throw anything out really. Just need to be patient, GET GRABS, and throw out like sh nairs and ftilts I guess. I didn't really know much about Sheik until recently tbh so the edgeguarding thing is really helpful. I noticed Shroomed taking advantage of that a ton in his matches.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Glad I could help. I also like bair a lot vs sheik, but I would say for the most part that staying on the ground is best. WD out of shield is your friend, use it a lot. When you're at higher percents, I would do this instead of CC. In fact, you should probably do this at lower percents too. Just look out for grabs.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
i've lost my doc flare. Sorry guys.

Sheik here i come.
don't you do that.

Also holy crap how do I approach marth. I'm losing to marth players who I feel like i'm losing entirely because of the matchup. I know WD jabs are a thing, but theres got to be other things I can do.

Top Bottom