• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think it's going to be a looooong time before we get a 3rd FF character.

SE just has so much else that could use representing. Seph managed to jump the line because he's one of the most iconic villains in all of video games.

But to answer your question: Gilgamesh.

That's generally my classic FF pick.

Though these days, I'd rather have a Mii Mage and just have Black Mage as one of the costumes than actually getting Black Mage as a separate character. Because a Mii Mage would just get soooo many more characters in.
Square has a lot of series, but most of them are pretty obscure next to Final Fantasy, which is undoubtedly the series Square is most known for. Lara Craft and Crono, are the only 2 famous characters left with characters like 2B (whose game is become more irrelevant) and Neku (only for Nintendo association and the upcoming game) trailing a fair bit behind them. I doubt we'll see a Drakengard Rep that's not 2B, or anyone from other small series like Deus Ex, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, etc. As thrilled as I would be to see Aya Brea or Lenneth, they're just not happening.

The thing is, because of how big FF is, how many notable characters the franchise has, and how well they could be represented in Smash - I could honestly see a world where a 3rd FF Rep gets into Smash before another SE character from a different franchise; especially if we Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate DLC and there's no other Square character. This is especially true if the next Smash game's release lines up well with FF16, in which case I'd say whoever the protagonist of that game is becomes a likely Smash candidate.

Mii Mage is a nice idea, though there is some overlap with the Mii Gunner. In fact, I could see BLM fit as a Mii Gunner without much issue. I'd take it just to get Ashley in as a full costume though. I'd also like one of those robed dudes from Magicka. I'm curious what other characters you envision to fit here.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally, I'm a breadth > depth type of guy.
I'd much rather they explore their deeeeeeeeeeeeeep catalog of games for crossovers than restrict to just FF7 because it's the one everyone knows.
It'd be like picking every character from SF2 before ever picking KoF/Fatal Fury because the amount of people that know Akuma vastly outnumber the people that know Terry Bogard.

Or at least do the SNK style of adding songs from games that'll never get into Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh, people would. Nintendo got a lot of people to Double Dip with several titles from the Wii U when they got ported to Switch, so I’m confident they could get people to double dip on Smash.
Except for most people, they weren't double dipping, as the Wii U's sales were crap. Also, is this the future you want for Smash? Just Ultimate being continuously ported forever, and the franchise never moving on?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I love Nintendo, and while I also love Shonen Jump and would be livid for some of their characters in smash, honestly I would rather just a sequel to this masterpiece with the new series represented
View attachment 302165
Jump Ultimate Stars is the only above-average Jump crossover fighting game out of the main 3 and it sucks that out of the 3, the worst one is the one that got the most coverage and attention

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
One thing I'm fairly certain on. At least one of the last 3 characters is someone that's either a dark horse pick, being slept on or we just didn't see coming.

I've honestly got that gut feeling.
Im fairly certain that the sun will rise this morning too.

EDIT: Sorry if i sound a little, well, rude, but you get the point. Predicting an idea for a character like "it's gonna be unexpected choice" isn't actually hard, it's WHO that is the interesting part.

I guess its not too surprising, James Rolfe was on CNN once.

As for the ESPN incident, i really would like to know how that one came to be.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Im fairly certain that the sun will rise this morning too.

EDIT: Sorry if i sound a little, well, rude, but you get the point. Predicting an idea for a character like "it's gonna be unexpected choice" isn't actually hard, it's WHO that is the interesting part.

I guess its not too surprising, James Rolfe was on CNN once.

As for the ESPN incident, i really would like to know how that one came to be.
Other companies use fanart all the time without knowing. A fanart of Cirno (a Touhou character) was featured on the Anime episode of My Strange Addiction

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Except for most people, they weren't double dipping, as the Wii U's sales were crap. Also, is this the future you want for Smash? Just Ultimate being continuously ported forever, and the franchise never moving on?
Nah. I'm just saying a system that can play the Previous Game would likely just get an Updated Version of that same game, just to get the Roster up to 100 and THEN make a New Game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So does anyone think we'll be at least getting one dark horse/sleeper/"Didn't see coming" pick?

What do you think the chances are we might not get anymore "Big" characters and that Steve and Sephiroth we're the only ones? Or do you think we'll be getting at least one more whether Crash, Chun-Li or such?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So does anyone think we'll be at least getting one dark horse/sleeper/"Didn't see coming" pick?

What do you think the chances are we might not get anymore "Big" characters and that Steve and Sephiroth we're the only ones? Or do you think we'll be getting at least one more whether Crash, Chun-Li or such?
We might get one more big one, but I do see some sleeper picks

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I'd answer yes to both, truthfully.

In fact, I'd even say there's certain options that can do both. Like a character from a certain MOBA, for example.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I think there might be a decent chance for a retro throwback pick. Maybe it'll be Bill/Lance Rizer, Arthur from Ghosts & Goblins, or maybe even Pocky & Rocky to really blow people's minds.
I'm personally hoping for Jason and SOPHIA as a retro pick, but to be honest - those picks of yours are pretty solid picks, and I wouldn't be displeased if they came in!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Square has a lot of series, but most of them are pretty obscure next to Final Fantasy, which is undoubtedly the series Square is most known for. Lara Craft and Crono, are the only 2 famous characters left with characters like 2B (whose game is become more irrelevant) and Neku (only for Nintendo association and the upcoming game) trailing a fair bit behind them.
Mana, Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders(not that I think Space Invaders should get a character, but it's on a similar level as Pac-Man).

Remember that at this point the bar is set at "Who deserves to get a first character before Final Fantasy gets a THIRD". Which I think has a much lower threshold.

Also, is this the future you want for Smash? Just Ultimate being continuously ported forever, and the franchise never moving on?
If it means keeping "Everyone is here!" forever? Absolutely.

I am, mechanically, satisfied with Smash in Ultimate. Nothing I want to see changed about the game is something that couldn't be made in a Deluxe version of Ultimate.

If it means there are no roster cuts, but we keep getting new characters, I'm 100% okay with getting Ultimate ports forever.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I think we would get at least one didn't see coming pick and I think there is a decent chance we might won't get "big" characters.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Jump Ultimate Stars is the only above-average Jump crossover fighting game out of the main 3 and it sucks that out of the 3, the worst one is the one that got the most coverage and attention
How did Jump Force not even have Bo-bobo? That's a sin against all hair, probably orchestrated by Baldy Bald the 4th himself.
IMG_9819.jpg

I mean... Bo-bobo knew that rather than pay for a ticket to the jet coaster, it'd be quicker and a whole lot cheaper to just BEAT UP the guy in charge of the coaster... now they're RAPPIN AND RIDIN

Seriously... no Bo-bobo just like... come on man, I LOVE Dragon Ball but... Bo-bobo was in the others why not this one?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s a fun little game (the original Tweet that I quoted, I mean).
1. Can’t think of any (my name is 9 letters long)
2. Mach Rider I guess??
3. Ahri
4. 2B I guess
5. Legionis
6. You saw her coming a mile away... that’s right. Elma. :shades:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
the absolute range of emotions i felt when i saw this tweet

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Dissidia 012 had Lightning and that was the best timeline. Certainly better than Dissidia NT and the timeline that is E-sports.
As an E-Sports nut myself, I don't think that in itself was NT's problem - it was more so the lack of a 1 v 1 option from the get go, some characters not getting any spotlight until well after the game had released (looking at Golbez in particular) and severe miscommunications around the first couple years. I've personally found the gameplay difficult to follow, but that's me personally.

Can that still be a negative factor? Yeah, because the E-Sports business is not stable at all. It thrives best when there's something that can help it in the long term, whether it's a dedicated community with a willingness to watch Twitch broadcasts of games, figures / teams that are famous within the community (perhaps the entire game's fanbase) that help drive people to watch games, confidence from people within the business etc. And even then it can be unstable as all hell.

Dissidia didn't really have any of the long term boons that made an E-Sports turn feasible AFAIK.

the absolute range of emotions i felt when i saw this tweet
...Why do I get the feeling that the background's from the New Ghostly Adventures?

Anyway, his PacMan 2: The New Adventures sprite as an alt or I'll riot. Pac-Man should've had such an alt to begin with, it's a travesty. :4pacman:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Two words separate. I’m guessing 9 letters has to be all one name
Hm, I took it to mean that the full name that the character usually goes by (i.e. the one that would be used in Super Smash Bros.) is what we're looking at here, so titles would count as well in this case.

So like, Mach Rider would count instead of just Mach, and Bandana Waddle Dee would count instead of just Bandana Dee.

But that's just how I saw it, you could be right.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Shantae [Shantae]
2. Uhh...uhhhh...Pong Paddle? [Pong]
3. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
4. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
5. Wolf [Sekiro]
6. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I think it's pretty likely we'll get one more big character since it is a new year and they would have planned for E3 to be happening this year. As for the Dark horse pick, we'll definitely be seeing one of those. My vote is for Sgt. Cortez.

Here is mine.

1. Klonoa (I have a six letter name)
2. Axel Stone (Two years before I was born)
3. Sol Badguy (He's got nothing)
4. Sora (Never played Kingdom Hearts)
5. Crash Bandicoot (Crash 4 came out last year)
6. Sgt. Cortez! (No need to explain why he is here)

Fighters pass 2 challenge again.png

Time to Split

Time to split am I right fellas.gif

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
1. Zero- MapleStory
2. Ms.Pacman
3. Berserker- Dungeon Fighter Online
4.Derek Stiles- Trauma Center
5. Boyfriend- Friday Night Funkin
6. Darkrai- Pokemon

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

TCT~Phantom