• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This might be those Switch rumours, would be funny to see the Switch attempt to handle it though lmao

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm just gonna disagree, because you put Crono in that first category. I mean, yeah, people love Chrono Trigger, but that franchise is long dead and only ever had 2 games in it. Mana is far more active a franchise, and Bubble Bobble I'd say is as well, not to mention, more recognizable with the wider audience than Crono.

Crono is one of those characters that's huge with hardcore video game fans, but not with the wider audience.

Sekiro is not the character's name. His name is Wolf. One character in the game calls him "sekiro" but that's because it means "one-armed wolf".
To me, it's not really about how dead a franchise is or not. Megaman and Castlevania haven't had relevant games for a while. It's more about the timelessness of a character itself. I believe being the protagonist of a cult hit game is better for a character's chances for Smash than being a character from a long running but small franchise. Sometimes a franchise is big enough to carry an non notable character (Steve for example) but for this instance I'd say Crono is a bigger character than anyone from Bubble Bobble or Mana. I'll amend my previous statement though, as I don't actually think Crono is on the same level as Lara. Being a big character with the video game audience, without being widely accessible, is still fine for a character in Smash, otherwise Geno would have never been mentioned and Banjo Kazooie never would have made it in.

Nothing against Bubble Bobble or Mana, though. I actually quite like the Bubble Bobble dudes a lot, they're cute as hell, and I have fond memories of playing that game on an arcade machine in the supermarket near me (along with Metal Slug and MVC2)

And yeah, I knew the character's name is Wolf. But I cheated because he's a character I like, and he's called Sekiro at one point. If he doesn't count then I'll say Chun-Li.

This might be those Switch rumours, would be funny to see the Switch attempt to handle it though lmao
Assuming the MCCollection never gets Halo 5, I think the Switch could probably run it fine. We have stuff like Doom Eternal and Witcher III already.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
believe being the protagonist of a cult hit game is better for a character's chances for Smash than being a character from a long running but small franchise.
Right, but...Mana and Bubble Bobble are ALSO that, and NOT dead franchises. We're not talking about 1 cult classic characters with a dead franchise and 2 nobodies with active franchises. We're talking about 3 cult classic characters, 2 with active franchises, and 1 without.

Bubble Bobble isn't even that cult. Bust-A-Move was a big franchise.

for this instance I'd say Crono is a bigger character than anyone from Bubble Bobble or Mana.
I mean, I'd agree with that as well, but not to the extent where I'd say they were on different levels.

Like, you put Crono on the same level as Lara Croft. And that's just kind of a silly comparison to anyone that's not a hardcore gamer.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Right, but...Mana and Bubble Bobble are ALSO that, and NOT dead franchises. Bubble Bobble isn't even that cult. Bust-A-Move was a big franchise.
I could be wrong, as I'm basing my interpretation on what I've personally seen (not just on these forums, but in general). Ignoring stuff like sales numbers, how recent the newest game of a franchise is, etc. I just have heard Crono's name a lot (not just for Smash Speculation, but in general). I've never even played Crono Trigger, but I'm familiar with the game because of how celebrated it is by its many fans. I have never played a Mana game, but I also don't know anything about them because I don't really see anyone discussing that series. I'm familiar with Bubble Bobble, but again, I don't really see the franchise discussed much (though that might just be because Bubble Bobble doesn't really have a story or anything, so there' just not much to talk about).

A lot of really big character currently in Smash come from franchises I've never personally played, but there wasn't a single Smash character I didn't recognize when they finally did arrive (This goes for 3rd party only, I didn't recognize a ton of Nintendo characters)

I mean, I'd agree with that as well, but not to the extent where I'd say they were on different levels.

Like, you put Crono on the same level as Lara Croft. And that's just kind of a silly comparison to anyone that's not a hardcore gamer.
Yeah, you're right, Crono is definitely below Lara. It just felt weird putting Lara in her own category, so I stuck Crono with her who was just the 2nd character that came to mind for Square. The purpose was to frame these examples in favor of the possibility of getting a 3rd FF Rep before any of them. Cuz honestly, most of potential FF characters would outdo Crono as a character if you completely ignore the factor of series representation within Smash.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would absolutely be down for a Switch port of "Halo: Master Chief Collection" and it maybe a longshot, But while were at it throw "Rare Replay" in there too.

Never really got to play the Halo series because I grew up more with Nintendo consoles than Xbox, But I always thought it looked like a really cool series and Master Chief always looked like a badass character.

And after Microsoft and Phil Spencer were so cool with letting Banjo-Kazooie join Super Smash Bros, Hopefully they can have Master Chief finish the fight in "Ultimate".

Let's make it happen Nintendo and Microsoft.

Master-Chief-Smash-Bros.jpg

D84OwMUUIAEUp7R.jpg

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Is it wrong that if MC were to show up that my immediate assumption is that its a trailer featuring Samus? I know the popular fan consensus has been to team them up in scenarios, but its basically her or the other major mascots (Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man) as far as characters that would make sense to put Master Chief with.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, I'm just gonna disagree, because you put Crono in that first category. I mean, yeah, people love Chrono Trigger, but that franchise is long dead and only ever had 2 games in it. Mana is far more active a franchise, and Bubble Bobble I'd say is as well, not to mention, more recognizable with the wider audience than Crono.
pushes up nerd glasses

The Chrono series actually has three games. There was a text based game called Radical Dreamers for the Satellaview that was part of the series.
What are some music tracks you feel should have been in Smash YESTERDAY?

I can name a few:
  • Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo) heck, most of the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion OST
  • Uncontrollable. Along with again, a great deal of the Xenoblade Chronicles X OST
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
  • Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
  • Shambhala (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
  • Some non-VII FF music I ain’t picky
  • Life Will Change (Persona 5)
  • The epic orchestral theme that played in Hero’s trailer, tfw we got crappy ass MIDIs instead
  • Light of Nibel (Ori and the Blind Forest)
  • Volcanic Rim (Street Fighter IV)
  • Wiping All Out (Persona 3 Portable)
Many other FF tracks but I am picky. Stuff like Battle on the Big Bridge, FFIV and VI boss themes, Chocobo theme and Seymour Battle just to name a few.

Also really wanted Vs. Red from Pokemon and Porky Means Business from Earthbound.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

What the article is ignoring is that that bit of info was in a Halo Insider forum update about flighting future content and updates, you can't test a Switch port on PC or an Xbox. It's clickbait trash.

Isn't it just the Bungie games? Surely the switch must be stronger than an Xbox 360, right?
It has to run both graphic engines (original and remastered) for both Halo CE and Halo 2's campaigns at the same time because you can swap between those visuals at will as well as have the ability to load up one of six different multiplayer suites quickly for faster matchmaking, be able to swap between six different campaigns to account for cross game playlists and have the various Forge modes adjusted to account for what the Switch can handle among numerous other things, all of this at a constant framerate (they'd most likely target 60 fps if possible) on top of the collection being over 130GB worth of content altogether.

A Switch port is a vast undertaking and, in my mind, it's not happening. I'd love to be wrong though.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I would absolutely be down for a Switch port of "Halo: Master Chief Collection" and it maybe a longshot, But while were at it throw "Rare Replay" in there too.

Never really got to play the Halo series because I grew up more with Nintendo consoles than Xbox, But I always thought it looked like a really cool series and Master Chief always looked like a badass character.

And after Microsoft and Phil Spencer were so cool with letting Banjo-Kazooie join Super Smash Bros, Hopefully they can have Master Chief finish the fight in "Ultimate".

Let's make it happen Nintendo and Microsoft.

View attachment 302253

View attachment 302252
If this is your first time playing Halo, I'd personally recommend you don't get the MC Collection for the Switch even if this turns out to be true. Nintendo controllers are...not great for first person shooters. It'll definitely both feel and run better if you just get it on the PC (where it also goes on sale quite often).

Is it wrong that if MC were to show up that my immediate assumption is that its a trailer featuring Samus? I know the popular fan consensus has been to team them up in scenarios, but its basically her or the other major mascots (Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man) as far as characters that would make sense to put Master Chief with.
Definitely Samus. I could even see them continue the trend of continuing from a previous trailer, and have him show up to beat up Ridley in the aftermath of his trailer.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
What the article is ignoring is that that bit of info was in a Halo Insider forum update about flighting future content and updates, you can't test a Switch port on PC or an Xbox. It's clickbait trash.

It has to run both graphic engines (original and remastered) for both Halo CE and Halo 2's campaigns at the same time because you can swap between those visuals at will as well as have the ability to load up one of six different multiplayer suites quickly for faster matchmaking, be able to swap between six different campaigns to account for cross game playlists and have the various Forge modes adjusted to account for what the Switch can handle among numerous other things, all of this at a constant framerate (they'd most likely target 60 fps if possible) on top of the collection being over 130GB worth of content altogether.

A Switch port is a vast undertaking and, in my mind, it's not happening. I'd love to be wrong though.
Halo CEA was still a 360 game so the Switch should still handle that. Halo 2 Anniversary would require some magic.

Can't say I can give a good estimate as to the work needed. I play the MCC on pc but I run it on a potato. I have to reduce the resolution to play the anniversary modes and Halo 4 just didn't work at all. Loading is much faster than the original versions but I guess that could be because my computer uses an ssd. It is also modular in that it all games besides Reach need to be downloaded separately. I imagine that might happen for a Switch port but there'd still need to be some file size reduction for anyone wanting the whole collection.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If this is your first time playing Halo, I'd personally recommend you don't get the MC Collection for the Switch even if this turns out to be true. Nintendo controllers are...not great for first person shooters.
Doom Eternal played perfectly for me with the Switch Pro controller.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If this is your first time playing Halo, I'd personally recommend you don't get the MC Collection for the Switch even if this turns out to be true. Nintendo controllers are...not great for first person shooters. It'll definitely both feel and run better if you just get it on the PC (where it also goes on sale quite often).
Thanks for the recommendation, But I'm a console gamer and only have a Switch at the moment, Plus my laptop isn't powerful enough to run games as it's just meant for basic usage, Consoles got me covered.

If it becomes a solid port, I can work with it on the Nintendo Switch and Pro controller combination, But eventually I can see myself getting a Xbox Series X or Playstation 5 in the next year or so and if I choose to get an Xbox than I'll play it on there in the future.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As far as N64 Rare games are concerned, I think the absolute least Microsoft could do for Banjo/Rare fans on Switch is let Nintendo distribute some of those games on a N64 online service. It'd be far more cost efficient than having to go through the trouble of porting over every single old 360 game on Rare Replay to modern hardware. It's kind of a shame we wouldn't get the definitive versions of BK/BT/PD, but what can you do.

But well, I guess the first thing you have to do is to get Nintendo to even bother doing anything with N64 games, outside of a limited release ROM dump.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As far as N64 Rare games are concerned, I think the absolute least Microsoft could do for Banjo/Rare fans on Switch is let Nintendo distribute some of those games on a N64 online service. It'd be far more cost efficient than having to go through the trouble of porting over every single old 360 game on Rare Replay to modern hardware. It's kind of a shame we wouldn't get the definitive versions of BK/BT/PD, but what can you do.

But well, I guess the first thing you have to do is to get Nintendo to even bother doing anything with N64 games, outside of a limited release ROM dump.
I think most Rare fans (Including me) always kind of had that thought in the back of our heads that it's way too much work to port Rare Replay not so much NES-N64 era, But I would imagine Xbox emulation would prove be too much trouble/challenge to take on.

I'm still hoping for the "N64 Classic Edition" to come out someday, But unfortunately it's probably gonna stay on Nintendo's backburner for a while because it's not as practical emulation wise as the NES/SNES Classics or cost efficient with it's controllers and probably licensing Rareware games too make it too much.

Nintendo will likely just release N64 games for online, But if it includes Rareware games, Then I'll take it.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
How I would fix the most broken character in the game (Hero)

-Remove the critical hit mechanic
-Remove Hocus Pocus
-Reduce launch power on Kafrizz
-Make the Zap spells reflectable
-very slightly reduce magic bursts range
1) This is fair, it has no reason to exist, but without it Hero's smashes need a buff.
2) Hocus Pocus is fine, it usually hinders more than it helps anyway.
3) Again, this is fine.
4) Just shield
5) Magic Burst isn't really that good, it's quite easy to hit Hero out of it, and losing all Hero's Mp is a big deal

Also Hero isn't the most broken character in the game by any stretch.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The funny thing about Rare Replay is I'm sure if they made a "Nintendo version" that included Rare's DK games (and maybe Starfox Adventures) instead of anything native to Xbox architecture, you really wouldn't lose any sales over it, and it'd be simpler emulation-wise.

I don't think that's the route they'd take, and it's just as well considering most of those DK games are or probably will become available on the Switch at some point regardless, but I think it's funny that it's kind of obvious as to which parts of that collection are most cared about.

And it's not Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

I would buy the MCC on Switch just for the sake of being able to play Halo on a Nintendo console, frankly.

Though I have played all of Bungie's Halo titles already. But tbf, Halo did make steps towards optimizing itself for console play, considering it was developed with that as the priority. And fwiw, I played Doom on Switch without issue.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The funny thing about Rare Replay is I'm sure if they made a "Nintendo version" that included Rare's DK games (and maybe Starfox Adventures) instead of anything native to Xbox architecture, you really wouldn't lose any sales over it, and it'd be simpler emulation-wise.

I don't think that's the route they'd take, and it's just as well considering most of those DK games are or probably will become available on the Switch at some point regardless, but I think it's funny that it's kind of obvious as to which parts of that collection are most cared about.
Such a thing would have massive legal issues, mostly because of Goldeneye.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Goldeneye isn't one of Rare's DK games or Starfox Adventures.
But still, it would be weird if Goldeneye wasn't present, considering how well received and iconic it is.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

What's funny is a lot of people don't mention is that how Nintendo is overprotective of their IP's I can see them getting a heart attack at the idea of Donkey Kong on a video game case with a rated "M for Mature" logo.

D84OwMUUIAEUp7R.jpg

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What's funny is a lot of people don't mention is that how Nintendo is overprotective of their IP's I can see them getting a heart attack at the idea of Donkey Kong on a video game case with a rated "M for Mature" logo.

View attachment 302263
That is plausible, true. I would never count out the stick up Nintendo's butt.

Except there they had the excuse that it was mainly focusing on Rare's unique IPs.
This isn't the problem you're making it out to be, because you've had to pivot after misreading my original post.

People would lament Goldeneye's absence but the package overall would still be appealing regardless.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I completely understand that Rare Replay realistically isn't ending up on Switch.

Why it can't get a PC release is what really baffles me.
Yeah I never understood that either, Luckily I still have my copy of Rare Replay and Killer Instinct when I temporarily had an Xbox One, So if I do plan on getting an Xbox Series X in the future than I'm covered there.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So does anyone think we'll be at least getting one dark horse/sleeper/"Didn't see coming" pick?

What do you think the chances are we might not get anymore "Big" characters and that Steve and Sephiroth we're the only ones? Or do you think we'll be getting at least one more whether Crash, Chun-Li or such?
I definitely think we’ll see another surprise character. Buuuut it could be someone that we here on Smashboards have discussed a bit. Like if they went with a Falcom character, your average Smash fan won’t know who that is but we’ve talked about that possibility a lot recently.

It could also be someone a bit more high profile like Gordon Freeman or Bill Rizer too.

& yeah, I think we’re in for one more big character. They’ve planned this Pass to cover two E3s (before COVID cancelled E3). Nintendo always brings a big gun to E3 when it comes to Smash. It could cover the dark horse pick too; like with Gordon, not many people expect him but he’d be a huge pick.

Here’s a fun little game (the original Tweet that I quoted, I mean).
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Chun-Li (Born in ‘94)
Crash
Lloyd (It’s something I want to play tho)
Officer Howard
Master Chief

I know the game didn’t explicitly state it, but I think it’s sort of cheating to pick a character who debuted before 2019 but had a game in 2019/2020. It’s more interesting to pick someone who debuted in those years IMO.

puts on tinfoil hat Microsoft is porting Halo to Switch & negotiated for Master Chief in Smash at the last minute. It’s why this Pass has 6 characters instead of 5; also why they had that special animation when showing this Pass had 6 characters.

....Please let me dream.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
puts on tinfoil hat Microsoft is porting Halo to Switch & negotiated for Master Chief in Smash at the last minute. It’s why this Pass has 6 characters instead of 5; also why they had that special animation when showing this Pass had 6 characters.

....Please let me dream.
Banjo is owned by Microsoft and was revealed at E3
Steve is owned by Microsoft and was presumably to be revealed at E3 before it's cancellation
Therefore, we can conclude that the next E3 will also have a Microsoft character
1612745370159.png

Pillow

Smash Lord
Steve is owned by Microsoft and was presumably to be revealed at E3 before it's cancellation
Therefore, we can conclude that the next E3 will also have a Microsoft character
View attachment 302268
I can't wait to play Clippy from Microsoft Word, one of the most played games of the past few decades.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
View attachment 302268
A devious plan to always detract attention from Microsoft's presentation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It certainly would be wild if Master Chief just showed up sometime in the next two reveals.
A part of me honestly wonders if Nintendo managed to make a deal with getting all three (Banjo, Steve, and Master Chief).

That'd be insane and given the close relationship at the same time wouldn't surprise me. If any there is any character we don't expect or is being slept on its definitely the Chief himself. He definitely would be E3-worthy. Imagine a double reveal with him and Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom