• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here’s a fun little game (the original Tweet that I quoted, I mean).
1. Rayman
2. Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1)
3. Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)
4. KOS-MOS (I don't own Xenosaga - I'd like to get it at some point, but I don't have a PS2, and I don't think it's available digitally on the PS3)
5. Doomguy (Doom Eternal came out in March 2020)
6. Geno

I'm not sure if KOS-MOS's appearance as a Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 counts for number 4 or not. If it does count as the character being from a game that I own (meaning that she's not eligible), then I have no idea. Maybe Sergeant Cortez from TimeSplitters? I have no idea how crazy that game gets, but I'm assuming it's wacky enough that I'd enjoy seeing the character in Smash.

EDIT: looking up the weapons in TimeSplitters, they don't seem as absurd as I was expecting (I was hoping to see a gun that turns people into monkeys, or something goofy like that). I tend to get a lot of crossovers and collections, which makes this section more difficult than it needs to be - for example, I've never played Skies of Arcadia, but I do own Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, which has Vyse as a racer, so I can't pick him. I'm probably over-thinking this section.

I don't think I have any games with Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell in them, so if KOS-MOS doesn't count due to me owning Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (I'm not sure if that's the same KOS-MOS or technically a different character), I guess I'll go with him - Sam Fisher vs. Solid Snake seems like it would be a big deal, even if I don't have an interest in the Splinter Cell series.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
1. Arle (4 letter name ended up working out)
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Sol Badguy
4. uhhhhhhh........ Reimu, I guess? Kinda hard to think of characters I'd want from games I don't own...
5. Y'know, that Hades game is pretty good. I'll let Zagreus have a shot
6. Rayman

Would certainly be a pretty interesting pass all things considered.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
How did Jump Force not even have Bo-bobo? That's a sin against all hair, probably orchestrated by Baldy Bald the 4th himself.
View attachment 302222

I mean... Bo-bobo knew that rather than pay for a ticket to the jet coaster, it'd be quicker and a whole lot cheaper to just BEAT UP the guy in charge of the coaster... now they're RAPPIN AND RIDIN

Seriously... no Bo-bobo just like... come on man, I LOVE Dragon Ball but... Bo-bobo was in the others why not this one?
When you analyze JF's roster, it becomes pretty clear IMO that there was an attempt at basically pulling off a mass exodus of all the more niche or less serious characters:
-A ton of characters like these in J-Stars were cut in this one
-The roster puts a lot of focus on the big super mainstream series and new hotnesses, the older series that managed to stay and don't fit the first criteria feel like afterthoughts (it took huge fan demand for Yu Yu Hakusho to get just one more character as DLC in the sea of Bleach, Dragon Ball and MHA characters)
-Of the 3 main "cool weird picks" in the roster, apparently Ryo Saeba only got in cause he was the director's favorite character and beats me how the **** Yugi and Dai managed to slip in there

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Whoopsie!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
When in March do you guys think CP9 will be revealed?

I'm guessing mid so probably a week before (15th-19th) the next amiibos release.
Hard to say... for all we know the next reveal could actually be in April a week after the amiibo release.
I personally think it’ll be at least 2 weeks before the amiibo release at most a week after. Naturally I expect to be wrong.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Whoopsie!

Lmao

first a fan made Masked Man sprite for his spirit, then the fan made Mario render for (i forgot what they used it for) now this

SKX31

Smash Master
Whoopsie!

I'm getting more and more convinced that there isn't much oversight within Nintendo when it comes to "small" details.

I'm putting "small" in quotation marks because of stuff like this:

As well as the beta-test cubes that were in Sunshine's 3D Anniversary collection (before it was patched that is).

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Has that happened before?
We have gotten character releases after amiibo waves, reveals not so much. Joker, Hero, Byleth, and Steve released after the month’s amiibo wave while Plant, Banjo, and Terry released before the amiibo. (Min Min and Sephiroth did not get any amiibo released alongside them). Reveals have generally been before though, not counting updates to add the amiibo data to the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
When in March do you guys think CP9 will be revealed?

I'm guessing mid so probably a week before (15th-19th) the next amiibos release.
That's assuming we do get the next character in March. Personally I am guessing we will get something in April at the earliest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We have gotten character releases after amiibo waves, reveals not so much. Joker, Hero, Byleth, and Steve released after the month’s amiibo wave while Plant, Banjo, and Terry released before the amiibo. (Min Min and Sephiroth did not get any amiibo released alongside them). Reveals have generally been before though, not counting updates to add the amiibo data to the game.
Can we get reveals before the amiibo tho?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Whoopsie!

The real reason Nintendo goes on a genocidal rampage against fan projects is so they stop screwing up like this.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
1. Rayman (6 letters)
2. Doom Slayer (before 1998)
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Arle (I never played Puyo puyo but the concept of a magical girls sounds great too me and I would like a true puzzle game reps)
5. Dante (Devil may cry 5 in 2019)
6. Chorus kids or Tibby

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What are some music tracks you feel should have been in Smash YESTERDAY?

I can name a few:
  • Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo) heck, most of the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion OST
  • Uncontrollable. Along with again, a great deal of the Xenoblade Chronicles X OST
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
  • Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
  • Shambhala (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
  • Some non-VII FF music I ain’t picky
  • Life Will Change (Persona 5)
  • The epic orchestral theme that played in Hero’s trailer, tfw we got crappy ass MIDIs instead
  • Light of Nibel (Ori and the Blind Forest)
  • Volcanic Rim (Street Fighter IV)
  • Wiping All Out (Persona 3 Portable)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I can name a few:
  • Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo) heck, most of the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion OST
  • Uncontrollable. Along with again, a great deal of the Xenoblade Chronicles X OST
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
  • The epic orchestral theme that played in Hero’s trailer, tfw we got crappy ass MIDIs instead
Literally Anything from Metal Gear Rising.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I can name a few:
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
  • Porky Means Business, Battle With A Weird Opponent.
  • VS Dark Samus
  • Anything From Undertale That Isn’t Megalovania

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Whoopsie!

Hey Big N...y'all okay over there? You wanna take a breather before maybe making a dedicated folder of assets that you actually...y'know...own?

1. Robotnik ("OH BOY!")
2. The Prince of Persia (OG 1989 version, which I think is up there with Doom in terms of crazy influential games that deserve some solid representation in Smash)
3. Amaterasu (just give me one beautiful, traditional ink-and-wash painting level to fight in, Sakurai, please)
4. Astral Chain protag (never touched this game, but a cyberpunk anime version of ICs sounds glorious)
5. Ring Fit Adventurer (she's practically made to have a killer moveset, I'd love to see it)
6. Shantae (yeah, yeah, I know, but the heart wants what it wants)

I can name a few:
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
Clock Town Theme (Day 3) is a downright baffling exclusion. A remix could've been so delightfully stressful. Really, MM's entire OST was tragically underutilized.

I also would've loved to hear a remix of Ho-Oh's battle theme from HG/SS. It's the perfect sound to represent Johto.

And this one's selfish, but there was really only one piece of Banjo-Tooie music that I desperately wanted to see get in with BK, and that was a remix of Jinjo Village. This tune is permanently etched into my brain and it hurts not being able to hear it in-game.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I can name a few:
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
Michael Chain theme (F-Zero GX)
You can do anything (Sonic CD)
Mirage Saloon zone (Sonic Mania) or pretty much any remix from Sonic Mania.
Joy (Persona 3)
Gruntilda battle theme (Banjo-Kazooie)
Birth of a god (Final Fantasy 7)

That's all the music I can think of on the top of my head that I really want.

Paraster

Smash Lord
1. Rayman
2. Giygas (Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1)
3. Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)
4. KOS-MOS (I don't own Xenosaga - I'd like to get it at some point, but I don't have a PS2, and I don't think it's available digitally on the PS3)
5. Doomguy (Doom Eternal came out in March 2020)
6. Geno

I'm not sure if KOS-MOS's appearance as a Blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 counts for number 4 or not. If it does count as the character being from a game that I own (meaning that she's not eligible), then I have no idea. Maybe Sergeant Cortez from TimeSplitters? I have no idea how crazy that game gets, but I'm assuming it's wacky enough that I'd enjoy seeing the character in Smash.

EDIT: looking up the weapons in TimeSplitters, they don't seem as absurd as I was expecting. I tend to get a lot of crossovers and collections, which makes this section more difficult than it needs to be - for example, I've never played Skies of Arcadia, but I do own Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, which has Vyse as a racer, so I can't pick him. I'm probably over-thinking this section.

I don't think I have any games with Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell in them, so if KOS-MOS doesn't count due to me owning Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (I'm not sure if that's the same KOS-MOS or technically a different character), I guess I'll go with him - Sam Fisher vs. Solid Snake seems like it would be a big deal, even if I don't have an interest in the Splinter Cell series.
1. Frisk (also counts even if you wanted to go with "Human")
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (born in 1999; BWD debuted in 1996)
3. Neku
4. Isaac
5. Cadence (Cadence of Hyrule came out June 2019)
6. Quote

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I can name a few:
  • Aqua Road
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go!
  • P-R-O-G-R-A-M
Tropical Freeze Music.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Mana, Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders(not that I think Space Invaders should get a character, but it's on a similar level as Pac-Man).

Remember that at this point the bar is set at "Who deserves to get a first character before Final Fantasy gets a THIRD". Which I think has a much lower threshold.
I understand you like retro/arcade era games, but Mana and Bubble Bobble definitely fit into that last category of games I mentioned. I’ll agree with Space Invaders deserving recognition, but like you said it’s more suitable for a stage or assist than a character.

Its true that if Sakurai is focused mostly on getting new series represented, then the threshold is far lowered. I’m just not sure that’s exactly the case. I’m feeling more confident about seeing Alucard, Raiden, Chun-Li, and Zero for whatever the next Smash game is then I am about seeing protagonists from more B-lister franchises.

1. Sekiro (going off forum name)
2. Arle Nadja (1991)
3. Master Chief
4. Reimu Hakurei
5. Sakuna (2020)
6. Phoenix Wright

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we were to have a FF rep that wasn't from FFVII, Terra would be my immediate choice. FFVI is my second favorite FF right behind FFVII.

That said one underlooked choice for a FF rep I'd say is Cecil Harvey. FFIV, while not a superstar like FFVII, was still a pretty important and big game for the series I'd say. It's probably one of the most ported FF games of all time, and even got an outright remake on DS. IN terms of gameplay I could see Cecil having a pretty cool moveset based on his whole "dark vs. light" shtick where he switches between his Dark Knight and Paladin forms (similar to Dissidia).
Yeah Cecil and FFIV are usually very underlooked, when IV was the game that made the series go from a good series to a fantastic series.

There's lot of options for a third FF rep. If we do not count VII for the sake of variety, it would depend on their focus. Do they want something classic and/or tied to Nintendo? Cecil, Bartz or Terra. Probably Terra, being the protag from the most popular Nintendo FF game then. It was also one of the games included with the SNES mini.

Do they want someome more recent? Well, Lightning, Noctis or Clive (FFXVI protag). Do they want a very popular character in the series that isn't from VII? Squall or Tidus come to mine, specially the later. As someone already said FFX is big, the first entry to have a sequel and one of the most popular entries (I'd say it's the most beloved game in Japan).

Ivander

Smash Legend

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I understand you like retro/arcade era games, but Mana and Bubble Bobble definitely fit into that last category of games I mentioned.
I mean, I'm just gonna disagree, because you put Crono in that first category. I mean, yeah, people love Chrono Trigger, but that franchise is long dead and only ever had 2 games in it. Mana is far more active a franchise, and Bubble Bobble I'd say is as well, not to mention, more recognizable with the wider audience than Crono.

Crono is one of those characters that's huge with hardcore video game fans, but not with the wider audience.

1. Sekiro (going off forum name)
Sekiro is not the character's name. His name is Wolf. One character in the game refers to him "sekiro" but that's because it means "one-armed wolf".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom