• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A devious plan to always detract attention from Microsoft's presentation.
Then they can buy other companies without anybody noticing! The fiends!

Unless it's a company that needs to be bought out in order to survive. Then it's a bit more understandable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Then they can buy other companies without anybody noticing! The fiends!

Unless it's a company that needs to be bought out in order to survive. Then it's a bit more understandable.
I love the idea of Nintendo and Microsoft being in cahoots that Nintendo distracts everyone with something shiny while Microsoft sneaks into your back pocket and buys up all your shares.

Then they go skipping arm and arm down the street and go throw eggs at Sony's house.

...the reality of the situation in which a growing number of IPs potentially no longer remain multiplats I'm less thrilled with.

Pillow

Smash Lord
A part of me honestly wonders if Nintendo managed to make a deal with getting all three (Banjo, Steve, and Master Chief).

That'd be insane and given the close relationship at the same time wouldn't surprise me. If any there is any character we don't expect or is being slept on its definitely the Chief himself. He definitely would be E3-worthy. Imagine a double reveal with him and Crash.
No way we get both Chief and Crash. Bet, if Master Chief comes, then the other 2 will be the most obscure weeb trash you've never heard of.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Is Chun-Li then Master Chief more likely?
Who's to say? My previous comment was mostly a joke, because Western characters and franchises have historically been neglected by Smash. But the inclusion or lack thereof, of character in Smash, never depends on what other characters come. I could write an essay on why I think Ryu Hayabusa is the most likely character remaining, but at the end of the day either they are chosen, or they are not.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I love the idea of Nintendo and Microsoft being in cahoots that Nintendo distracts everyone with something shiny while Microsoft sneaks into your back pocket and buys up all your shares.

Then they go skipping arm and arm down the street and go throw eggs at Sony's house.

...the reality of the situation in which a growing number of IPs potentially no longer remain multiplats I'm less thrilled with.
POV: You are Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft have come knocking at your door to throw eggs at your house
1612747611839.png

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Banjo is owned by Microsoft and was revealed at E3
Steve is owned by Microsoft and was presumably to be revealed at E3 before it's cancellation
Therefore, we can conclude that the next E3 will also have a Microsoft character
View attachment 302268
11F5CDC7-7672-4D24-B166-9AC9305B4204.jpeg

insert bottom text here

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
People say the Golden Age of Smash will come to an end after Ultimate

Personally I think it's just beginning. Smash Ultimate has really established the Series in terms of it's crossovers, and like someone mentioned, Smash reveals are now Industry defining events now.

I think going on, Nintendo is probably gonna focus more on the crossover aspect with other companies for future tiles, and Companies I think are very willing to be apart of Smash because Sakurai and the team has given the Series alot of Creditability.

The Western Part of the Gaming industry is Only just now starting to be tapped into, Indie games are getting larger and larger by the day, and there's still some Franchises from the Eastern side.

Even if not all the characters come back, I actually do think Smash is gonna evolve going from Ultimate. Of course if you're someone that's really focused on the Nintendo side of things, this might not be your ideal timeline, but I'm sure Nintendo characters will still get spotlight

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if Microsoft would double dip and get two fighters.

Personally I think it's just beginning. Smash Ultimate has really established the Series in terms of it's crossovers, and like someone mentioned, Smash reveals are now Industry defining events now.

I think going on, Nintendo is probably gonna focus more on the crossover aspect with other companies for future tiles, and Companies I think are very willing to be apart of Smash because Sakurai and the team has given the Series alot of Creditability.

The Western Part of the Gaming industry is Only just now starting to be tapped into, Indie games are getting larger and larger by the day, and there's still some Franchises from the Eastern side.

Even if not all the characters come back, I actually do think Smash is gonna evolve going from Ultimate. Of course if you're someone that's really focused on the Nintendo side of things, this might not be your ideal timeline, but I'm sure Nintendo characters will still get spotlight
They can't get any bigger than this unless they decide to open the floodgates to non-video game characters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's something I got to ask

Do you think Bayonetta's Gameplay design needs to be Changed or overhauled, or do you think she's designed well enough?

Pillow

Smash Lord

Do you think Bayonetta's Gameplay design needs to be Changed or overhauled, or do you think she's designed well enough?
This seems like a weird place to ask this, but Bayonetta is far from the worst designed character in Ultimate. She's considerably less toxic than she was in Smash 4 since she lost some of her tools. In terms of thematically and representing he base game, she actually has really good design.

In terms of gameplay, there are tons of characters that should be changed first. But assuming this is for the next Smash game, all this would just be highly dependent on whatever the core mechanics of that game is.

In terms of being more representative of their respective franchises, I think most people agree that the non-echo clone fighters are a good place to start. Ganon has been moving in a good direction, but still needs more work. Young Link should have moves to represent Majora's Mask. Outside of clone characters, Sonic's moveset is just laughably boring.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
No way we get both Chief and Crash. Bet, if Master Chief comes, then the other 2 will be the most obscure weeb trash you've never heard of.
Wouldn't be surprised if we got one of them and then 2 other characters that leave you scratching your head.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just noticed that nearly every series that got an echo newcomer in Ultimate also gotten a unique newcomer.

Mario: Piranha Plant & Daisy
Fire Emblem: Chrom & Byleth
Metroid: Ridley & Dark Samus
Castlevania: Simon & Richter

I could also extend this to 4 with Palutena & Dark Pit, and Lucina & Robin & Corrin.

The exception is Street Fighter with Ken, although that might change if Chun-Li is indeed in.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just noticed that nearly every series that got an echo newcomer in Ultimate also gotten a unique newcomer.

I could also extend this to 4 with Palutena & Dark Pit, and Lucina & Robin & Corrin.

The exception is Street Fighter with Ken, although that might change if Chun-Li is indeed in.
I feel like Ken is weird because you could also argue that because Street fighter only got an Echo and not a new character, Ken in return is the most unique echo added to the game, and people argue he's only Echo in Name only

There's also the speculation that Ken was always meant to be 2nd, because he was the only Trophy besides Ryu in Smash 4, and he also had his theme along with Ryu in Smash 4

I do think though that Street Fighter definitely was considered for Full Unique Fighter, because it's Iconic franchise, Capcom plays ball, and because they are fighting game characters, conceptualizing a moveset takes less time than other characters since they have more sources for their moves

Personally I don't think Chun-Li was the only Unique character considered, and I also don't think she's the only Street Fighter character that should be focused on in terms of DLC, and I'm willing to die on this hill. I think M.Bison and Akuma are others that should be considered because they both are very important in their own way, and have their own merits. I do think though that Chun-Li probably has more merit. yes

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Shes designed just fine now that she actually lets you play the game. Just give her a few minor buffs and she should be good imo.
I can’t say the same for some other characters though
*Glares at Lucario and Sonic
I don't know if Smash could continue on without Sakurai.
Sakurai needs to retire eventually, its just a fact of life. And I don’t see Nintendo or even Sakurai himself wanting Smash games to stop altogether.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

cries in no a shadow as an Echo or Eggman as a unique fighter

Pillow

Smash Lord
I feel like Ken is weird because you could also argue that because Street fighter only got an Echo and not a new character, Ken in return is the most unique echo added to the game, and people argue he's only Echo in Name only
The echo classification never truly made that much sense. Dr. Mario is not an echo, but Lucina, Chrom, and Ken are. Koopalings/Alph/Enderman are alternate costumes, but Daisy/Dark Samus/Richter are echoes with their own character slot. The whole thing is rather inconsistent. There's no pattern to be seen here for predicting a SF character.

I don't know if Smash could continue on without Sakurai.
Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It will continue on with or without Sakurai, probably as soon as the next Smash installment. Sakurai has done a great job with the series, but let's not pretend that there's no one else that could also do a good job as the game director for Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The echo classification never truly made that much sense. Dr. Mario is not an echo, but Lucina, Chrom, and Ken are. Koopalings/Alph/Enderman are alternate costumes, but Daisy/Dark Samus/Richter are echoes with their own character slot. The whole thing is rather inconsistent. There's no pattern to be seen here for predicting a SF character.

Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It will continue on with or without Sakurai, probably as soon as the next Smash installment. Sakurai has done a great job with the series, but let's not pretend that there's no one else that could also do a good job as the game director for Smash.
It actually does

Alt Characters don't have any moveset differences at all, not even in just their moves, but also hitboxes and animations and stuff like that. Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are pretty identical to their base fighter in moveset, but they have different animations that are too drastic for Alternate Costumes

On the other side, compared to Clones like Dr.Mario, Echoes are balanced solely against their parent fighter, and is a big reason why Echoes take little time compared to Unique fighters. Dr.Mario has alot of stat changes, Hitbox changes, and few move changes that drastically change how he plays compared to Mario, and as such needs to be balanced against the entire Cast. The Echoes, Including Ken, don't have that drastic of changes that requires balancing against the rest of the cast. It's very easy to make Lucina and Marth balanced to each other without affecting the balance as an example. Ken has move changes, but none of the New moves he has are so radically different from Ryu that it requires he be balanced against everyone else

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Well said. Smash had been getting bigger and bigger with a metric ton of superstars to choose from, and considering some companies are looking far more willing to cooperate than ever before (i.e. Squeenix & Microsoft), I have a good feeling that we could potentially see almost everyone return for round 2, third-party or not.
Good luck telling any of this to that handful of folks on GoNintendo, though.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
In terms of being more representative of their respective franchises, I think most people agree that the non-echo clone fighters are a good place to start. Ganon has been moving in a good direction, but still needs more work. Young Link should have moves to represent Majora's Mask. Outside of clone characters, Sonic's moveset is just laughably boring.
This might be a hot take, but I think that Young Link should stay the way he is. I’d rather have our current Link be given more BotW tools, and Toon Link be given more moves from Wind Waker. I like how Young Link keeps his moves from Melee, as he most resembles the “classic Link.”
Personally I don't think Chun-Li was the only Unique character considered, and I also don't think she's the only Street Fighter character that should be focused on in terms of DLC, and I'm willing to die on this hill. I think M.Bison and Akuma are others that should be considered because they both are very important in their own way, and have their own merits. I do think though that Chun-Li probably has more merit. yes
Chun-Li is definitely the stronger choice, but I would really love Akuma. When I think of the most iconic villains that could be added to Smash, he’s one of the biggest stand outs. Though I feel like he would be a weird character to get his own challenger pack. He’d likely borrow a lot of moves from Ryu, and I don’t think people would react well to seeing a semi clone as one of our few DLC characters. At the same time, people still bought Lucas and Roy, so maybe it wouldn’t be all that crazy.

Pillow

Smash Lord
It actually does

Alt Characters don't have any moveset differences at all, not even in just their moves, but also hitboxes and animations and stuff like that. Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are pretty identical to their base fighter in moveset, but they have different animations that are too drastic for Alternate Costumes

On the other side, compared to Clones like Dr.Mario, Echoes are balanced solely against their parent fighter, and is a big reason why Echoes take little time compared to Unique fighters. Dr.Mario has alot of stat changes, Hitbox changes, and few move changes that drastically change how he plays compared to Mario, and as such needs to be balanced against the entire Cast. The Echoes, Including Ken, don't have that drastic of changes that requires balancing against the rest of the cast. It's very easy to make Lucina and Marth balanced to each other without affecting the balance as an example. Ken has move changes, but none of the New moves he has are so radically different from Ryu that it requires he be balanced against everyone else
I'll concede the point about the animations, but any of the echoes could easily have had as many stat alterations as Dr. Mario with barely any effort involved. I doubt they were only trying to balance them against the primary characters too, otherwise Lucina, Chrom, and Ken would not play so differently from their counterparts.

Well said. Smash had been getting bigger and bigger with a metric ton of superstars to choose from, and considering some companies are looking far more willing to cooperate than ever before (i.e. Squeenix & Microsoft), I have a good feeling that we could potentially see almost everyone return for round 2, third-party or not.
Good luck telling any of this to that handful of folks on GoNintendo, though.
While I agree with this, a lot of Ultimate's success is carried a bit by the fact that the Switch itself was so successful. Cooperation between companies like Nintendo, Square, and Microsoft is always somewhat fickle, and there are a lot of factors that might lead to some of these companies no longer wanting their IP's in Smash whenever plans for the next game start rolling out.

This might be a hot take, but I think that Young Link should stay the way he is. I’d rather have our current Link be given more BotW tools, and Toon Link be given more moves from Wind Waker. I like how Young Link keeps his moves from Melee, as he most resembles the “classic Link.”

Chun-Li is definitely the stronger choice, but I would really love Akuma. When I think of the most iconic villains that could be added to Smash, he’s one of the biggest stand outs. Though I feel like he would be a weird character to get his own challenger pack. He’d likely borrow a lot of moves from Ryu, and I don’t think people would react well to seeing a semi clone as one of our few DLC characters. At the same time, people still bought Lucas and Roy, so maybe it wouldn’t be all that crazy.
I'd also be happy with this. I just enjoy it when things become more distinctive, so long as it's not at the cost of fun gameplay.

I don't think Lucas and Roy are good examples for Akuma's sake. They were bought because Smash fans missed them. As Akuma has never been in Smash, I don't think a third shoto would be as well received, as cool as Akuma is. I could definitely see him coming to Smash eventually, though, just after Chun-Li and not as DLC. I personally prefer Bison as the SF villain though Akuma is more common in crossovers. I hope the next Smash has a full story mode and they add more playable villains like Wiley and Eggman to server as antagonists.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah Cecil and FFIV are usually very underlooked, when IV was the game that made the series go from a good series to a fantastic series.

There's lot of options for a third FF rep. If we do not count VII for the sake of variety, it would depend on their focus. Do they want something classic and/or tied to Nintendo? Cecil, Bartz or Terra. Probably Terra, being the protag from the most popular Nintendo FF game then. It was also one of the games included with the SNES mini.

Do they want someome more recent? Well, Lightning, Noctis or Clive (FFXVI protag). Do they want a very popular character in the series that isn't from VII? Squall or Tidus come to mine, specially the later. As someone already said FFX is big, the first entry to have a sequel and one of the most popular entries (I'd say it's the most beloved game in Japan).
You mentioned every protagonist from IV onward except for my boy Zidane? For shame

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People are just being overly pessimistic because they know "Everyone is here!" likely won't carry over into the next game. There's a lot more to Smash than the characters though, which is why I think this pessimism is premature.

Plus, at this point there's not much else they can do besides focus on new content. Every character and just about every stage has been brought back, so focusing on that aspect a second time won't be nearly as powerful.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
you know who else needs to better represent his series? Kirby.

he only uses like 7 copy abilities in his moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom