• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Hearing you guys talk about how much hell it was speculating for Min Min was, is one of funniest things I’ve seen in a while.
As someone who wasn’t here for it, I kinda wish it would happen again just to see how some of you would react.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hearing you guys talk about how much hell it was speculating for Min Min was is one of funniest things I’ve seen in a while.
As someone who wasn’t here for it, I kinda wish it would happen again just to see how some of you would react.
It was far from the worst the fanbase has ever seen. Lucky for you, we‘re nearing the end of a Smash cycle again, which is historically a breeding ground for all kinds of cockroachery and similar malaise.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Who wants to bet that the best selling version of Crash 4 will be on Switch with me?
I ain’t counting out PS5 because the console is so new I could see people buy up something, but Crash 4 doing well on the switch makes sense.

Outside of Rise, name a big game coming out in March?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Who wants to bet that the best selling version of Crash 4 will be on Switch with me?
Switch version's also cheaper than anything but PC lmao. Either the rumours of underperfoming were more severe as people pretended they were or Activision thought that it's not losing out in much.

Meanwhile 3DS games that are nearly a decade old still cost full price on the eshop, fix your garbage Nintendo

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not entirely certain of that. N'Sane Trilogy sold best on PS4 (though given the gap between its release and others that makes sense), and even with nearly two decades of multiplatform releases is still strongly associated with Playstation. I think it'll be closer for Crash 4 than it was the previous game, but I suspect PS4 sales will be a bit highter.

I ain’t counting out PS5 because the console is so new I could see people buy up something, but Crash 4 doing well on the switch makes sense.

Well there is Balan Wonderworld...

So yeah, nothing but Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I still remember when people assumed the ARMS character would be a composite character. God, that was such a dumb idea that, in my opinion, only existed for the sake of mashing characters together just because. Even Spring Man being promoted in the same game was at least plausible, for as much as I loathe the idea from a development standpoint.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm not entirely certain of that. N'Sane Trilogy sold best on PS4 (though given the gap between its release and others that makes sense), and even with nearly two decades of multiplatform releases is still strongly associated with Playstation. I think it'll be closer for Crash 4 than it was the previous game, but I suspect PS4 sales will be a bit highter.

I liked the Balan Wonderworld demo...

SKX31

Smash Master

Crash 4 is coming to switch. This totally wasn't leaked months ago.
I'm a bit surprised that it's coming to Battle.Net...

Buuuut, that's practically saying "We're merging Activision's and Blizzard's properties into one ecosystem going forward".

I can see the Battle.Net version doing at least decently, although I'm not entirely sure how well it will do. It's in that weird position where it's probably not a super-popular client in Japan, but the client's mainly known as the StarCraft / WoW / Overwatch client in South Korea, China and I believe Hong Kong / Taiwan.

I still remember when people assumed the ARMS character would be a composite character. God, that was such a dumb idea that, in my opinion, only existed for the sake of mashing characters together just because. Even Spring Man being promoted in the same game was at least plausible, for as much as I loathe the idea from a development standpoint.
Yeah, that idea felt strange at best. Especially given that ARMS' premise (and I'm speaking as a complete outsider, correct me if I'm wrong) was based heavily around different characters having access to different ARMS.

It's a little easier to say in hindsight, but still.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hearing you guys talk about how much hell it was speculating for Min Min was, is one of funniest things I’ve seen in a while.
Me but with the Grinch Leak.
I joined at the tail end of that segment of speculation, so I only got a brief snippet of it. We were all drained afterwards, though. Not helped by the sudden drought of info.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

I remember when people outright theorized the fighter would have been "The main protagonist of ARMs 2 which they will announce at the same time" and a few people unironically believed and predicted that.

...Which IMO felt like a bit of a copout prediction if you want me to be really honest here.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I remember when people outright theorized the fighter would have been "The main protagonist of ARMs 2 which they will announce at the same time" and a few people unironically believed and predicted that.

...Which IMO felt like a bit of a copout prediction if you want me to be really honest here.
Remember kids, it cannot be first party if its not a shill somehow!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
James using the very laser katana that killed him and Hayate summoning the trained snipers that were sent after his head. Doesn't get any more wrong than that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I liked the Balan Wonderworld demo...
Well I mean even beyond the relative quality of the game itself (I wasn't terribly impressed though who knows how the rest of the game will go), the Switch variation really suffers in comparison to other versions. Even for a console that's typically gotten lesser ports, its pretty egregious. Between people picking up 3D World this month, MH likely dominating the Japanese charts, and now another title in the same genre like Crash 4 coming out the same time and $20 cheaper than BW?

Given the perception it already has, its gonna be in an uphill climb when it comes to the Nintendo market.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Crash 4 is coming to switch. This totally wasn't leaked months ago.
I'm a bit surprised that it's coming to Battle.Net...

Buuuut, that's practically saying "We're merging Activision's and Blizzard's properties into one ecosystem going forward".
Yeah, that's actually the most surprising thing about this announcement tbh.

I wonder why this decision was made in the first place? As far as I'm aware, it's not like Crash needs the Battle.net ecosystem to function on a PC.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I wonder why this decision was made in the first place? As far as I'm aware, it's not like Crash needs the Battle.net ecosystem to function on a PC.
Oh no, Activision is giving the Crash rights to Blizzard, aren't they?

cashregister9

Smash Hero

The Battle.net thing makes sense. The launcher just got a redesign and it separates Activision made and Blizzard made games, but the Activision portion literally only has Call Of Duty, so with the Crash announcement they probably realized "Oh wait we actually have a launcher, if we use that we don't need to license it out to steam."

SKX31

Smash Master

Oh no, Activision is giving the Crash rights to Blizzard, aren't they?
IIRC the company has in the past few years started to merge operations and have Blizzard function more directly under the A-B leadership (which lead to stuff like the closure of Blizzard's Versailles studio IIRC).

The Battle.net thing makes sense. The launcher just got a redesign and it separates Activision made and Blizzard made games, but the Activision portion literally only has Call Of Duty, so with the Crash announcement they probably realized "Oh wait we actually have a launcher, if we use that we don't need to license it out to steam."
It's also worth noting that it has a pretty long history of being a multi-game platform (both WarCraft 3 and Diablo 2 relied on the old Battle.net servers simultaneously, as did IIRC StarCraft I). That and A-B probably wants to encourage more people to log onto Battle.net and everything associated with that - perhaps even look at both sides of the A-B library more often. Like EA at least wanted people to use Origin and EA's entire catalogue, and both those corps probably look at Steam / EGS as something to follow.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

To be fair, N Sane was a timed exclusive for the PS4 for a good bit longer than IAT was. It also helps that IAT was released literally right before the next gen systems. I swear people love to forget that it came out a month before the PS5 and XSX.

Oh yeah, Balan Wonderland. God that game is so disappointing looking. I'm gonna skip it after the horrible things I heard about the demo, which is a shame since it looks interesting but god the gameplay looks dull.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It has a lot going for it, but Cinderace is far from guaranteed to be the next Pokémon rep should any of the remaining characters be a Pokémon.

If Cinderace is the only Gen 8 Pokémon people want to predict, then that's sort of their own problem. Imagine the irony if Nintendo announced that the next fighter was a Pokémon, and the fans complain because, "It's so obvious that Cinderace is the fighter". Then people spend several weeks being pessimistic and negative only for the character to be revealed and not be Cinderace.
Look, you can't claim that every single video game character more than two years old is too much of a gamble and then go "we might get a gen 8 rep who's NOT cinderace! we might!"

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If i had to bet on a Gen 8 Pokemon right now, I would go Toxtricity.

Popular? Check, it is a dead heat for being the most popular Gen 8 Pokemon. Gigantimax Form? Check, even made a big deal out of it. Combine that with an easy moveset and it not overlapping as hard as Cinderace does with characters in the roster and I think if you want to bet on a Gen 8 mon, Tox is the way to go.

That being said I would prefer Dragapult who is lowkey slept on, but whatever.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If i had to bet on a Gen 8 Pokemon right now, I would go Toxtricity.

Popular? Check, it is a dead heat for being the most popular Gen 8 Pokemon. Gigantimax Form? Check, even made a big deal out of it. Combine that with an easy moveset and it not overlapping as hard as Cinderace does with characters in the roster and I think if you want to bet on a Gen 8 mon, Tox is the way to go.

That being said I would prefer Dragapult who is lowkey slept on, but whatever.
Something I'd like to mention is that a Gen 8 Pokemon would have to have been planned in advance. The pass was finalized in September at the latest, and SwSh released a couple months after. No matter how last-minute the decision was, I don't think popularity is a factor we can use for a SwSh rep.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Story of Sesons is also coming out in march

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Something I'd like to mention is that a Gen 8 Pokemon would have to have been planned in advance. The pass was finalized in September at the latest, and SwSh released a couple months after. No matter how last-minute the decision was, I don't think popularity is a factor we can use for a SwSh rep.
I mean, the popularity poll did come out relatively early in that period. It also helps that its clear that GF wanted Toxtricity to be one of the "big" mons this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom