• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
"Welcome everyone. We know how excited you are to know who is the next challenger. The next fighter is.....

From Capcom. You will have to wait until E3 to know who it is."
As much as I didn't like the ARMS guessing game, I'd be legit hype, hoping for Arthur, but probably happy no matter what.

I feel like that'll just turn into a Chun-Li vs Monster Hunter vs Dante vs Phoenix Wright with the occasional Amaterasu or Arthur fans popping up.
Arthur vs Jill Valentine vs Morrigan vs Monster Hunter vs Dante vs Phoenix Wright vs Viewtiful Joe vs Amaterasu vs Mike Haggar vs Strider Hiryu vs Nathan Spencer vs Chun Li vs M. Bison vs Zero vs Firebrand.

Outside of Rise, name a big game coming out in March?
The biggest game, Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection, comes out at the end of Feb. Close enough.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, the popularity poll did come out relatively early in that period. It also helps that its clear that GF wanted Toxtricity to be one of the "big" mons this gen.
When, exactly, was the poll held? If it's not extremely early, I can't say with confidence that it could be used to determine a character that would've been chosen before the game even released.

And honestly I don't think we're getting a SwSh rep after that Spirit Event so in that scenario the poll doesn't even matter

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hearing you guys talk about how much hell it was speculating for Min Min was, is one of funniest things I’ve seen in a while.
As someone who wasn’t here for it, I kinda wish it would happen again just to see how some of you would react.
It was basically a bunch of months of people going:

"It has to be Spring Man because he's the protagonist even though the game doesn't have a protagonists, and along with Ribbon Girl, he's the mascot."
"If it was Spring Man then there would be no point to the guessing game. It's Min Min because she won that popularity contest that wasn't actually a popularity contest."
"Well I don't think they're not going to add Spring Man, but he would be super boring so I think they'll bring another Hero situation and mash Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min together."
"What? No they wont! That'd be stupid!"
"Ugh I don't care, just show us who it is so we can move onto something actually exciting and also talk about something other than ARMS."

for over a month.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
When, exactly, was the poll held? If it's not extremely early, I can't say with confidence that it could be used to determine a character that would've been chosen before the game even released.

And honestly I don't think we're getting a SwSh rep after that Spirit Event so in that scenario the poll doesn't even matter
Poll went for two weeks in February, results revealed at the end of February. I would say that this would be well before the development of the character would begin and would likely be in its most minimal conception stages. Assuming that a Gen 8 pokemon was chosen around November, it would make sense to defer potentially to a poll to validate the choice.

...even if the spirit event is damning for this pass. Regardless, due to how huge Gen 8 was I see it as a strong choice for a post pass/FP3 situation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

"It has to be Spring Man because he's the protagonist even though the game doesn't have a protagonists, and along with Ribbon Girl, he's the mascot."
"If it was Spring Man then there would be no point to the guessing game. It's Min Min because she won that popularity contest that wasn't actually a popularity contest."
"Well I don't think they're not going to add Spring Man, but he would be super boring so I think they'll bring another Hero situation and mash Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min together."
"Ugh I don't care, just show us who it is so we can move onto something actually exciting and also talk about something other than ARMS."

for over a month.
I saw someone suggest statement #3 BUT with Mechanica, Twintelle, Dr. Coyle and Max Brass too. It really starts to break apart at Twintelle cause she works WAY differently than everyone else

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I saw someone suggest statement #3 BUT with Mechanica, Twintelle, Dr. Coyle and Max Brass too. It really starts to break apart at Twintelle cause she works WAY differently than everyone else
I've seen it with either Max Brass, Byte, Helix, and Kid Cobra with the argument that proportions could be adjusted to fit the mold.

EDIT: I didn't mention it before because that wasn't exactly a long lived idea.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If Crash Bandicoot makes it in I hope his reveal trailer is a continuation of that PS1 commercial where Crash goes to Nintendo's HQ and calls out Mario. It would be awesome if Mario from the Smash 64 commercial actually comes out of the HQ and they started fighting and it leads to gameplay.

PS1 Crash Bandicoot commercial
Smash 64 commercial

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It was basically a bunch of months of people going...for over a month.
I just noticed this and now I don't know if I should be like "ah yes the floor here is made out of floor" or if I should be like "doing things for over a month within a month? That's impressive".

At least we didn't get locked because we couldn't handle it not being Twintelle.
Silver linings.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Anyway uh

what do y’all think is gonna happen tonight?

ngl it would be peak irony if a Crash spirit event happened, or to a lesser extent an Overwatch event before Crash
I'm not really expecting anything tonight for Smash. I'm still pulling for a Warcraft or Starcraft rep for Blizzard/Activision but Crash is definitely deserving as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not really expecting anything tonight for Smash. I'm still pulling for a Warcraft or Starcraft rep for Blizzard/Activision but Crash is definitely deserving as well.
I mean in the sense that Tuesday nights are when spirits events or tourneys are announced. We might get an event with NEW spirits

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nobody thought that Spring Man wasn't the protagonist until after Min Min was announced and the ARMS dev said "they're ALL protagonists!"
Actually there were various discussions on how ARMS had no story and thus no protagonists, and while there was a manga (that at this point was probably scrapped) that was going to have him be the protagonist, but until then there isn't really a true protagonist to the game (although there are a handful of characters that are more lore important).

I mean in the sense that Tuesday nights are when spirits events or tourneys are announced. We might get an event with NEW spirits
And they'll be from Soup Threed Word & Boozer's Amgry.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

for over a month.
Don't forget "it has to be Max Brass/Dr. Coyle because they're not spirits"
Anyway uh

what do y’all think is gonna happen tonight?

ngl it would be peak irony if a Crash spirit event happened, or to a lesser extent an Overwatch event before Crash
"Spirits that I bet secretly know how to burp the alphabet"

D

Deleted member

I'm still on the train that says we're not getting any info on the next fighter until March at the earliest, MAYBBBBEE the last week of February if Steve didn't take as much time to produce as it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh I never really follow Spirit events. I didn't realize we got them every Tuesday. In that case, I hope we get an Overwatch spirit event because it is the one I want least from the big Blizzard/Activision games thus leaving the door open for Warcraft or Crash but it would still be nice to see it get some content as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Covid seems to have thrown off spirit events containing new spirits that aren't tied to some promotion.

We started getting a bunch and then covid happened and then I don't think we got any.

So I'm not expecting much these days other than the occasional tie-in event.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Covid seems to have thrown off spirit events containing new spirits that aren't tied to some promotion.

We started getting a bunch and then covid happened and then I don't think we got any.

So I'm not expecting much these days other than the occasional tie-in event.
Spirit Event featuring Spirits who wear Ties confirmed.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A reminder just because Crash 4 has been announced for the Switch doesn't automatically mean he'll be among the final 3 fighters.
While you're not wrong, you're also the kind of person I'd have expected to assume Crash would be one of the final three because of it since you were going hard on Monster Hunter for months because Rise was revealed and got its own Direct in the same day.

No offense, just saying things based on precedence.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
While you're not wrong, you're also the kind of person I'd have expected to assume Crash would be one of the final three because of it since you were going hard on Monster Hunter for months after Rise was revealed.

No offense, just saying things based on precedence.
Time has changed regarding speculation given every announced fighter so far.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I personally think Crash has a good shot, but I don't think Crash 4 has anything to do with it.

He's an iconic 90s mascot with a recent resurgence. That alone is enough to warrant a spot.

"given every announced fighter so far"

So you went from blindly following gut feelings based on Directs to blindly following a 5chan leak?

That sounds like a downgrade since, y'know, it's 5chan.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One of the characters I would love to see get in Smash is Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Killer Instinct has been one of my favorite fighting games since I was younger and has had strong ties to Nintendo. Fulgore has an awesome design that would really stand out from the rest of the Smash cast. Being a machine, he is very distinct from the likes of Ryu, Ken, and Terry as a fighting game rep. Finally, Killer Instinct has an amazing soundtrack and, in my opinion, the best OST of any fighting game ever. Here are some examples:

The Instinct - Title Theme
B. Orchid - KI Gold Theme
TJ Combo - I'm Back to Rise
Cinder - Inferno
Hisako - Village of Whispers
Omen - Herald of Gargos
Thunder - Hinnamatoom

I also think RARE could use another character since they were such an important part of Nintendo's history. My first choice is Battletoads since they are my brother's favorite characters and RARE's first major breakout title but Killer Instinct is a close second. I think Conker is a very popular choice but I think he's a little too close to Banjo aesthetically and would lose a lot of his appeal if they had to tone down his profanity.

View attachment 302415
Another Fulgore supporter? How's it goin' King?
you know what series this type of thing would work well for, even if it isn't very likely?

(image not made by me)
Pokemon could work too. And I guess Kirby, now that I think about it.

Hell, if King of Fighters or Mega Man got another fighter, they could pull this off too.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This really isn’t related to anything. But someone bought the domain name SilentHill.com in order to showcase Pyramid Head being 9 Feet Tall. This is presumably because it was recently confirmed that REs hot new Vampire is 9 Feet Tall with her hat and heels on.

I just figured that’d be fun to share.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This really isn’t related to anything. But someone bought the domain name SilentHill.com in order to showcase Pyramid Head being 9 Feet Tall. This is presumably because it was recently confirmed that REs hot new Vampire is 9 Feet Tall with her hat and heels on.

I just figured that’d be fun to share.
Lady Dimitrescu x Pyramid Head OTP sorry not sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom