• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
I try not to get too invested in "leaks" as as we've seen by now, so many "not-gonna-happen" characters are in.

That said, the idea of KOS-MOS in Smash is cool to me tbh. Even if Xenosaga is "dead", the character itself has remained popular from what I've gathered? She would also give us a Namco rep haha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So yeah go ahead and say it all you want that Xenosaga or KOS-MOS is dead when that's factually untrue because KOS-MOS is still marketable enough to get big crossover appearances and her biggest one yet in Xenoblade 2 where she's very important that even her original designer and her designer in Episode III collaborated for a artwork in Torna.
Crossovers do not a live series make (see: Ice Climber, Darkstalkers, F-Zero, etc.). This just means that it could come back in the future.

I don't think they're impossible but I think they would likely be censored like the Mythra spirit if their outfit is too revealing. I don't really have a problem with that since I want Velvet and I wouldn't be bothered if they covered her up a bit.
Oh definitely. It's the notion that they can't that I heavily disagree with. Even the one who started all this, Mai, has had it done before to great effect in regards to her character design.

I'm also more partial to Spyro. Nothing against Crash or his fans, I just don't think he looks or will play that interesting. Spyro's just got a lot more tricks to pull from his games, I think, and he's cuter.
I feel like they're about the same in terms of abilities. Spyro's kit isn't all that diverse, and most of it is just variations of his headbutt and fire breath...Actually I'd argue that Crash has more stuff.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I try not to get too invested in "leaks" as as we've seen by now, so many "not-gonna-happen" characters are in.

That said, the idea of KOS-MOS in Smash is cool to me tbh. Even if Xenosaga is "dead", the character itself has remained popular from what I've gathered? She would also give us a Namco rep haha.
Honestly, more than anything she'd be a MonoSoft rep. We talk about her because MonoSoft keeps bringing her back, some say she's likely because MonoSoft loves her and actively supports her, and others say she's unlikely because only MonoSoft cares about her. All things KOS-MOS loop back to MonoSoft.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding E3 this year. Here are potential candidates.

Agumon
Chun-Li
Dante
Dovahkiin
Crash Bandicoot
League of Legends character
Master Chief
Ryu Hayabusa
Scorpion (I think this definitely has potential hype level for E3)
Sora

Added some dark horse/sleeper picks (Agumon, Dovahkiin, League of Legends character, and Scorpion) given how speculation has been as of late. Anyone else I'm missing for runner-ups?

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

People always point to Capcom for the company that has lots of series that deserves to be in Smash (rightfully so) but Namco really feels missing too, especially when considering the fact that they're developing the damn game. I'm honestly shocked we still don't have a Tekken character or something.

I feel like they're about the same in terms of abilities. Spyro's kit isn't all that diverse, and most of it is just variations of his headbutt and fire breath...Actually I'd argue that Crash has more stuff.
This could possibly just be my inexperience with Crash games. I've seen some clips of lets plays of N'Sane and mostly just saw him jumping and spinning. Spyro had different breath attacks and like dragon kung fu.

Agumon
Chun-Li
Dante
Dovahkiin
Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Ryu Hayabusa
Sora

Added some dark horse/sleeper picks (Agumon, Dovahkiin, League of Legends character, and Scorpion) given how speculation has been as of late. Anyone else I'm missing for runner-ups?
Literally any character could be the E3 reveal. The event really isn't that special for Nintendo. I agree it's more likely to be a 3rd party that's less japanese-centric but I would never try to narrow it down to an actual list.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Honestly, more than anything she'd be a MonoSoft rep. We talk about her because MonoSoft keeps bringing her back, some say she's likely because MonoSoft loves her and actively supports her, and others say she's unlikely because only MonoSoft cares about her. All things KOS-MOS loop back to MonoSoft.
I guess. She's definitely up there as one of the more recognizable characters when thinking Namco only too, to me at least (and considering Pac-Man and Heihachi are in Smash already), even if she appears to not be "cared about".

An interesting thought, nonetheless.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Agumon
Chun-Li
Dante
Dovahkiin
Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Ryu Hayabusa
Sora

I still think people are sleeping on Warcraft. League of Legends wouldn't exist if not for Warcraft so I would think that it would at least get some consideration along with LoL.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I still think people are sleeping on Warcraft. League of Legends wouldn't exist if not for Warcraft so I would think that it would at least get some consideration along with LoL.
A lot of games grow more popular than what inspired them (not that Warcraft's not also popular). Smash cares about legacy, but it's not the end all be all.

...god I hope we don't get a LoL or Warcraft character though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Rather curious why people always quote with that Harada tweet. Like is that really all you have to prove that Xenosaga is dead? Genuinely curious here. And here's my counter: The Market analysis was years ago, hell Harada even says it was sad and he talked to Monolith Soft in 2019 about Xeno after a LONG TIME.

I'm not saying Xenosaga is alive but it was a really long time ago that this analysis happened. Harada has been historically trying to ask for Xenosaga HD since 2014 when he wasn't in a high position

It's the same year FP2 was solidified. Seeing as it's in December, I think it's actually after FP2 was settled. It might feel like a while ago, but that was posted around the timeframe that was important for FP2. Even if Harada wanted to bring it back, he still openly admitted that scenario wouldn't be profitable enough to go through with it.

So yeah go ahead and say it all you want that Xenosaga or KOS-MOS is dead when that's factually untrue because KOS-MOS is still marketable enough to get big crossover appearances and her biggest one yet in Xenoblade 2 where she's very important that even her original designer and her designer in Episode III collaborated for a artwork in Torna.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...me_translated_illustrators_comments_from_the/
KOS-MOS as a character gets a lot of usage, but Xenosaga itself does not. The Fighter's Pass isn't just the character, it's an entire pack of content based around the series. If it was just a character, KOS-MOS would have a better shot, but when Xenosaga as a series has gone dormant and Nintendo has an active, successful Xeno RPG in the form of Xenoblade, KOS-MOS' chances don't look as good.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aside from that, we also don't believe that post-launch content (Re: Spirit Events and Mii Costumes) can be promoted, as the timing wouldn't line up. People aren't really optimistic about the returning 3rd-party Miis (Lloyd and MH) coming back, either. Also, region-centric characters based off of Sakurai's comments towards Takamaru, though we don't know how he and Nintendo feel about bigger characters in that situation.
True, a timing issue there would things less likely. Though one can imagine one season of DLC shouldn't have too much of an impact on another, in theory. Say Tails in Season 1 shouldn't be an issue in Season 2. Doesn't exactly make Tails likely, but he'd be less hindered than he was previously, if that makes sense.

The goalpost will probably never stop moving on that one. You'll still see people against the inclusion of franchises like Doom & Grand Theft Auto, though at least for the former, it is less common.

There's also a new one about scantily clad women being impossible. Never mind the fact that Zero Suit Samus and female Byleth wear short shorts and Bayonetta has sheer material on her butt, if the character wears a short skirt and I wear a T-shirt and/or has their chest exposed in any way, they're impossible.
Probably, if anything, the lack of Mai having a model or Spirit keeps that other one alive. A couple people even put Chun-Li in that regard, though I hear that far less often.

Violence on the other hand, is mostly used to deter Doom and especially Mortal Kombat from what I've seen.

I'm also more partial to Spyro. Nothing against Crash or his fans, I just don't think he looks or will play that interesting. Spyro's just got a lot more tricks to pull from his games, I think, and he's cuter.

The other "rule" I often see people bring up is the one company per fighter's pass thing. Unlike the assist trophy rule, I think this one's baloney, but technically it hasn't been broken yet.
Ah, forgot about that one. I never considered it a full on rule myself is probably why. Seems more like a reasonable deduction, but not some impossibility that prevents potential characters being added.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This could possibly just be my inexperience with Crash games. I've seen some clips of lets plays of N'Sane and mostly just saw him jumping and spinning. Spyro had different breath attacks and like dragon kung fu.
IIRC Crash doesn't get these extra moves until the second game and onwards. I haven't gotten very far on them myself, but I do know he has his own equivalent to the ground pound, and what's essentially a bazooka.

To be fair to you though, I did completely forget about reboot Spyro, so there could be a bunch of stuff there that the first three games don't since they're also incredibly simplistic platformers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The significance of a guess that accurately got a character is small, and the longer you spend as part of the scene, the more truth you'll see in that.

During base there were many "leaks" that accurately guessed one or two characters. One even had Richter on it, and gained some traction on those grounds.

But it's just the broken clock being right twice a day; with enough guesses out there, some will line up to some extent. The Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak has received a lot of mileage out of being one of those cases. And part of it is probably owing to confirmation bias, given the popular choices. And part of it is because there aren't a lot of other competing "leaks" right now. But it clearly just had a lucky ticket, and I hope, for the sake of letting it rest, that we see as much sooner than later.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The significance of a guess that accurately got a character is small, and the longer you spend as part of the scene, the more truth you'll see in that.

During base there were many "leaks" that accurately guessed one or two characters. One even had Richter on it, and gained some traction on those grounds.

But it's just the broken clock being right twice a day; with enough guesses out there, some will line up to some extent. The Crash/Reimu/KOS-MOS leak has received a lot of mileage out of being one of those cases. And part of it is probably owing to confirmation bias, given the popular choices. And part of it is because there aren't a lot of other competing "leaks" right now. But it clearly just had a lucky ticket, and I hope, for the sake of letting it rest, that we see as much sooner than later.
Oh no... I know which leak you’re referring to

the ****ing Gardevoir/Gothitelle/“Mario2” leak that claimed it datamined from a demo booth which realistically woulda been impossible cuz those woulda been heavily guarded

doesn’t help that it made Gothitelle a meme for a while... :urg:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Probably, if anything, the lack of Mai having a model or Spirit keeps that other one alive. A couple people even put Chun-Li in that regard, though I hear that far less often.
In what way is Chun-Li scantily clad?

No DLC costumes do not count.

Violence on the other hand, is mostly used to deter Doom and especially Mortal Kombat from what I've seen.
To be fair there aren't many big game series that have that level of gore throughout each title. Still disagree with it, but it makes sense.

Pillow

Smash Lord
KOS-MOS as a character gets a lot of usage, but Xenosaga itself does not. The Fighter's Pass isn't just the character, it's an entire pack of content based around the series. If it was just a character, KOS-MOS would have a better shot, but when Xenosaga as a series has gone dormant and Nintendo has an active, successful Xeno RPG in the form of Xenoblade, KOS-MOS' chances don't look as good.
In terms of Smash, I'd say the character is the most important thing by a long shot. They choose the character first, then work from there, so I don't think Xenoblade's relative inactivity is KOS-MOS's biggest hurdle at the very least.

Yeah, it's a 5Chan leak, like c'mon. But other than Crash, I think Reimu and KOS-MOS aren't super popular choices. If either of those two are revealed next (especially KOS-MOS) I'd expect a lot of people to be converted into believing in the leak.

To be fair there aren't many big game series that have that level of gore throughout each title. Still disagree with it, but it makes sense.
She historically has shown a lot of ass crack when doing her kicks, but that's super easy to work around.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's the same year FP2 was solidified. Seeing as it's in December, I think it's actually after FP2 was settled. It might feel like a while ago, but that was posted around the timeframe that was important for FP2. Even if Harada wanted to bring it back, he still openly admitted that scenario wouldn't be profitable enough to go through with it.

Huh? The market analysis was not in 2019. He talked to Monolith Soft in 2019 about the Xeno series.

I dont know where you are getting that it was in December. The market analysis was years ago... because why renew Xenosaga Episode III trademark in 2018?

As for your 2nd point..... I really disagree. KOS-MOS has a legacy that can easily sell in a fighter pack.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I always hate the violence talk in objection to MK and Doom because Bayonetta is literally RIGHT THERE.

And that’s always brought up, and there’s always a gatekeepy response that “that’s different” like holy **** I HAAAAATE that double standard.

Doom Slayer crushing Demons into oblivion with his bare hands is for some reason WAY worse than Bayonetta getting naked and having a multitude of torture devices literally called “torture attacks” and Demons summoned from actual hell to mutilate angels but Doom Slayer punching a demon to death is just too far and gets the “Think about the children” responses and I don’t get it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I always hate the violence talk in objection to MK and Doom because Bayonetta is literally RIGHT THERE. And that’s always brought up, and there’s always a gatekeepy response that “that’s different” like holy **** I HAAAAATE that double standard. Doom crushing Demons into oblivion with his bare hands is for some reason WAY worse than Bayonetta getting naked and having a multitude of torture devices literally called “torture attacks” and Demons summoned from actual hell to mutilate angels but Doom punching a demon to death is just too far.
No but you see, Bayonetta doesn't actually use that stuff in Smash so it's OK. Scorpion and the Doom Slayer absolutely would because I say so.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At least t
Huh? The market analysis was not in 2019. He talked to Monolith Soft in 2019 about the Xeno series.

I dont know where you are getting that it was in December. The market analysis was years ago... because why renew Xenosaga Episode III trademark in 2018?

As for your 2nd point..... I really disagree. KOS-MOS has a legacy that can easily sell in a fighter pack.
The Tweet itself was in December. That one's on me for not looking closer.

As for the renewal, is it a new trademark or just a renewal of the old one? If it's the latter, that happens all the time, regardless of any future plans. If there's something actually new I'd be playing closer attention, but a simple renewal more than likely means nothing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh no... I know which leak you’re referring to

the ****ing Gardevoir/Gothitelle/“Mario2” leak that claimed it datamined from a demo booth which realistically woulda been impossible cuz those woulda been heavily guarded

doesn’t help that it made Gothitelle a meme for a while... :urg:
Was that the same one that had Richter on it? Lol yeah, the support of that one defied the bounds of reason and really underscored how one shouldn't invest in leaks that make a lucky guess.

Yeah, it's a 5Chan leak, like c'mon. But other than Crash, I think Reimu and KOS-MOS aren't super popular choices. If either of those two are revealed next (especially KOS-MOS) I'd expect a lot of people to be converted into believing in the leak.
Of course, the more characters line up the stronger the belief will be. But frankly, I very much doubt Reimu or KOS-MOS are destined for inclusion.

Overall KOS-MOS isn't that popular, but she seems to have a cadre of ardent, vocal supporters on a few sites such as this one, which make her part of the discourse more than would be warranted, and gives her the outward appearance of a candidate above her station.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

It probably is a gigantic fluke but.... i'm hoping there is a off chance it is reveal as I think all 3 characters fit smash perfectly.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wasn't there a rumor that called the first four packs of FP1 precisely, but then predicted KOS-MOS instead of Byleth? If so, I'll have to add that to the list of reasons why we shouldn't look too closely into leaks.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Agumon
Chun-Li
Dante
Dovahkiin
Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Ryu Hayabusa
Sora

Quite literally any character could qualify for a potential E3 reveal, if we're being broad enough. They've ranged from Icons like Wario and Mega Man, to fan favorites like Ridley and Daisy to (then) lesser known characters like Palutena and Pit. As well as financially successful, but out there choices such as Wii-Fit Trainer. As well as regionally popular characters like Hero and Banjo.

But semantics aside, I'd suggest Lara Croft or Bill/Lance since I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to call Tomb Raider and Contra iconic. And while I know most people don't consider Resident Evil in the running, it's a large enough series to at least mention.

Then there's also the fact, that like Street Fighter, Sonic, Mega Man and even Castlevania could potentially another fighter. So I'd say Eggman/Tails, MMX/Zero ect. ect.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I always hate the violence talk in objection to MK and Doom because Bayonetta is literally RIGHT THERE. And that’s always brought up, and there’s always a gatekeepy response that “that’s different” like holy **** I HAAAAATE that double standard. Doom Slayer crushing Demons into oblivion with his bare hands is for some reason WAY worse than Bayonetta getting naked and having a multitude of torture devices literally called “torture attacks” and Demons summoned from actual hell to mutilate angels but Doom punching a demon to death is just too far.
While I think that the violence level of a base is generally not an issue for most characters, I'm going to have to disagree specifically for Mortal Kombat (I'd put Doom's silly gorey demon slaying on about the same level as Bayo). MK's over the top violence is on a different level, and unlike Doom and Bayo the violence is also often against people that aren't monsters and demons. I also think that this violence (Fatalities & Brutalities) is more distinctly tied to MK as a series than glory kills or torture attacks are to Doom/Bayonetta. For this particular instance, I could definitely see an exception being made for MK's violence level.

Yes, I know MK11 came out for Switch and Scorpion could come to Smash and not bring any blood. I'm just not sure if it's the type of series that Nintendo would want to risk associating with Smash, as it's a very controversial series worldwide.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh gosh, violent debate again.

The ride of this cycle never ends apparently.

Also Doom Slayer is deconfirmed at this point. The only one to argue is Scorpion.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've reached a weird place where any leak that seems to fan pleasing or too cynical its array of fighters seems instantly dubious to me. The selection for the first and second passes has been too all over the place to make definitive assumptions about Nintendo/Sakurai's intent other than certain relationships with third parties.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I don't think she is, but I've heard the occasional mention of up-skirts being an issue, even if she's wearing leggings. Cause there's no way they're adding the SF4/SF5 alt.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A lot of games grow more popular than what inspired them (not that Warcraft's not also popular). Smash cares about legacy, but it's not the end all be all.

...god I hope we don't get a LoL or Warcraft character though.
I’m sorry you feel that way but I respect your opinion. It’s totally reasonable to not want either company to get rewarded as they both have pretty sketchy histories. My reason for wanting a character is admittedly very shallow. I enjoyed playing Warcraft 3 in high school and I just really like Blizzard’s character design. I wouldn’t mind a League character for the same reason even though I’ve never played that game. Do you mind me asking what you dislike so much about these games getting a character?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
At least t

The Tweet itself was in December. That one's on me for not looking closer.

As for the renewal, is it a new trademark or just a renewal of the old one? If it's the latter, that happens all the time, regardless of any future plans. If there's something actually new I'd be playing closer attention, but a simple renewal more than likely means nothing.
I mean.... the last time it was trademarked was 2006 and they made a new trademark for it in 2018 apparently. Just the 3rd episode for whatever reason. Nobody knows what it is for but I speculate it has something to do with reviving Xenosaga or something like that because Harada said something like he worked hard for KOS-MOS revival but she's sleeping now here: (it's in Japanese so you'll have to translate it) http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/27622 it's on the bottom of the page not the first link

I guess it's only a matter of time before we find out if it's nothing or not.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I've reached a weird place where any leak that seems to fan pleasing or too cynical its array of fighters seems instantly dubious to me. The selection for the first and second passes has been too all over the place to make definitive assumptions about Nintendo/Sakurai's intent other than certain relationships with third parties.
So in order to truly make a good fake leak, you have to have a weird eccentric taste in games and pick characters from a wider pool than the generation or series you happen to be attached to?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So in order to truly make a good fake leak, you have to have a weird eccentric taste in games and pick characters from a wider pool than the generation or series you happen to be attached to?
Kind of yeah. If there is such a thing as a leak appearing credible I think I'd be more inclined to trust one that has characters that aren't immediately obvious to the speculation scene but do make sense in hindsight (as a decent amount of the DLC characters have felt like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom