• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just had a thought about the Doom Slayer Vs. Master Chief: I know there's the whole thing about them both being green sci-fi armored dudes so they'd often be confused for each other, but I kind of wonder if that's really the case due to the differences in color pallets. The Doom Slayer is kind of a sickly yellow green and has a lot of brown on the pallet, while Master Chief is more of a straight green and doesn't really have a secondary color. For pallet swaps, I'd imagine the Doom Slayer would keep more dull colors (but hopefully not so dull that you can barely tell which ones are which Cloud) while Master Chief would get a bunch of more vibrant ones.

Also Master Chief's armour is much shinier but I'm not sure how much that would translate into this game's artstyle.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’m sorry you feel that way but I respect your opinion. It’s totally reasonable to not want either company to get rewarded as they both have pretty sketchy histories. My reason for wanting a character is admittedly very shallow. I enjoyed playing Warcraft 3 in high school and I just really like Blizzard’s character design. I wouldn’t mind a League character for the same reason even though I’ve never played that game. Do you mind me asking what you dislike so much about these games getting a character?
I don't dislike the games, in fact I'm a huge fan. I've been playing LoL since Season 2, and played the **** out of WC3 back in the day. It's not just WoW and LoL specifically, I don't really want any characters from multiplayer focused online games - so it also includes DoTA, Overwatch, Fortnite, Apex, etc.

The reason for this is because rather than seeing these characters as characters, I strongly associate them with their playerbase. If Ahri gets added to Smash I'll just be reminded of that one Ahri that ran it down in my Diamond promos game. I also, have always just seen Smash as focusing more on console characters (yes I know Minecraft breaks that rule).

Also Doom Slayer is deconfirmed at this point.
What?

I just had a thought about the Doom Slayer Vs. Master Chief: I know there's the whole thing about them both being green sci-fi armored dudes so they'd often be confused for each other, but I kind of wonder if that's really the case due to the differences in color pallets. The Doom Slayer is kind of a sickly yellow green and has a lot of brown on the pallet, while Master Chief is more of a straight green and doesn't really have a secondary color. For pallet swaps, I'd imagine the Doom Slayer would keep more dull colors (but hopefully not so dull that you can barely tell which ones are which Cloud) while Master Chief would get a bunch of more vibrant ones.

Also Master Chief's armour is much shinier but I'm not sure how much that would translate into this game's artstyle.
Doomslayer absolutely would fit into Smash better. His armor looks more cartoonish, his abilities are less realistic (double jumping in his base game, killing enemies for ammo, etc.) but Chief is definitely the bigger character at this point. I'd be happy with either but I'd bet on Chief if one of the two were guaranteed to show up.

Anyone saying they look too similar is dumb. Like seriously, there's so many clones in Smash and the line is drawn at Chief and the Slayer?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, I think you'll be able to tell them apart fairly well based on their aesthetic. Doomguy is violent, brutish, and edgy, while Master Chief is well-maintained and professional. Basically, it's the space marine equivalent of a barbarian vs a knight.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly if we had to get an Activison-Blizzard character that wasn't Crash, I think I'd prefer one from Starcraft. Maybe its just because I find the setting more interesting than most from WoW but it feels like it would be a relatively fresh kind of character to have in Smash.

Plus I can get more use out of this image:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also while I’m at it. Another thing I’ve hated this speculation is the interview disconfirmations. Those are just a way for people to shut down the conversation on that character and it sucks.
Kiryu's was especially bad cause the one everyone uses to say he's out has literally nothing to do with Smash. Yakuza seems to get hit by this a lot, the series director explained that he thought the Switch was a good place to bring back Monkey Ball, which he's also a director for, because kids like Nintendo. Cue people screaming YAKUZA DEV HATES NINTENDO AND SAYS IT'S KIDDY BULL****

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also while I’m at it. Another thing I’ve hated this speculation is the interview disconfirmations. Those are just a way for people to shut down the conversation on that character and it sucks.
interviewer don't ask game dev about their character in smash for 5 minutes challenge

With this game's fanbase, I think you might be overestimating people's perceptive abilities.

That said, I think both characters are well known enough that it wouldn't be an issue even with the vague similarities. People know who Master Chief is, and they would probably recognize Doom Guy. If they didn't, they would know he's not Master Chief.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Honestly if we had to get an Activison-Blizzard character that wasn't Crash, I think I'd prefer one from Starcraft. Maybe its just because I find the setting more interesting than most from WoW but it feels like it would be a relatively fresh kind of character to have in Smash.

If we were to get a Blizzard character, the one I'd be the least offended by is Kerrigan. But Blizzard hates Starcraft, so we'll be getting Illidan, who is their favorite character.

SKX31

Smash Master
The reason for this is because rather than seeing these characters as characters, I strongly associate them with their playerbase. If Ahri gets added to Smash I'll just be reminded of that one Ahri that ran it down in my Diamond promos game. I also, have always just seen Smash as focusing more on console characters (yes I know Minecraft breaks that rule).
It's understandable (coming from someone whose Blizzard fandom started with StarCraft I and played LoL's "older" sibling Dota 2 extensively) - that's said, it worth noting that that's a problem that any multiplayer focused game inevitably encounters though. Whether it's Smash or something else.

Zerg players? ZERGLING RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE.
The stereotypical K. Rool main? Spams Crown and Kannonball at every single goddamned opportunity.

And so on.

Have you constructed the additional Pylons? :4pacman:

Nah but seriously, out of the StarCraft characters, I've kinda favored Kerrigan (she's practically the main antagonist for most of SC1 / 2 and would have a unique if pretty terrying gameplay niche as a grabbler / "Broodmother" combination of sorts) or Zeratul (because as a Protoss Dark Templar he'd have a unique niche with warping the battlefield). Wouldn't mind Raynor, although he (and most of the Terran faction, by design) is bog standard. Any way, would get some amazing music out of it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Kiryu's was especially bad cause the one everyone uses to say he's out has literally nothing to do with Smash. Yakuza seems to get hit by this a lot, the series director explained that he thought the Switch was a good place to bring back Monkey Ball, which he's also a director for, because kids like Nintendo. Cue people screaming YAKUZA DEV HATES NINTENDO AND SAYS IT'S KIDDY BULL****
Yeah it’s kinda gotten to the point that everyone is so obsessed with being right that they forget to have fun when speculating. I remember Smash 4 there were pages and pages filled with movesets for characters that had absolutely 0 chance but everyone else was just like “hey, that’s a cool moveset! Maybe one day!” Now it’s more “haha you fool! You like this character? Too bad he’s disconfirmed LOL” it’s part of the reason this speculation cycle has been so repetitive.

Edit: that and the never ending chase for the new hot “leak”.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would also really love a Starcraft character. I made a Sarah Kerrigan support thread a while back and even made a custom move set. Starcraft has also been on a Nintendo console with Starcraft 64. I think Kerrigan would probably represent the RTS genre the best mechanically. I envisioned her building up a resource (cespian gas) and using it to summon various Zerg units for her specials.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anyone saying they look too similar is dumb. Like seriously, there's so many clones in Smash and the line is drawn at Chief and the Slayer?
I think the argument is that their designs have enough overlap that they wouldn't both be picked in the same pass, and I was mostly speaking in terms of having them both in the same game in general.

And then there's the Kiryu disconfirmed because Kiryu can't hit girls claims that lacked the prior context of the devs saying that he'd love Kiryu in Super Smash Bros.

With this game's fanbase, I think you might be overestimating people's perceptive abilities.
Am I?

Pillow

Smash Lord
It's understandable (coming from someone whose Blizzard fandom started with StarCraft I and played LoL's "older" sibling Dota 2 extensively) - that's said, it worth noting that that's a problem that any multiplayer focused game inevitably encounters though. Whether it's Smash or something else.

Zerg players? ZERGLING RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE.
The stereotypical K. Rool main? Spams Crown and Kannonball at every single goddamned opportunity.

And so on.

Have you constructed the additional Pylons? :4pacman:

Nah but seriously, out of the StarCraft characters, I've kinda favored Kerrigan (she's practically the main antagonist for most of SC1 / 2 and would have a unique if pretty terrying gameplay niche as a grabbler / "Broodmother" combination of sorts) or Zeratul (because as a Protoss Dark Templar he'd have a unique niche with warping the battlefield). Wouldn't mind Raynor, although he (and most of the Terran faction, by design) is bog standard. Any way, would get some amazing music out of it.
Yeah, the big difference for a character like K Rool, is I recognize him from his game outside of Smash. While League characters also have personality and lore and such, none of it is present when actually playing League of Legends. Also, since you're a DoTA player you have to understand, if Techies or Phantom Lancer come to Smash to ruin another game I otherwise enjoy, I don't know what I'd do.

and lol, no true zerg player is still out here doing 6p. Instead we're out here greedily expanding without scouting, dying to cheese, quit out then complain about how Blizzard is a dead company.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I really want Arthas or Tracer, Tracer would be fun and I love arthas as a character and a pure ice character would be fun as well

If we were to get a Blizzard character, the one I'd be the least offended by is Kerrigan. But Blizzard hates Starcraft, so we'll be getting Illidan, who is their favorite character.
They hate starcraft so much that they continue to add minor content to the main game and reference it consistently and constantly in their other games

(yes I know your original was hyperbole)

and Arthas is easily the most popular WoW character, even more so than Illidan

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That’s good because Illidan is my favorite character too. I was under the impression that Sylvanas was Blizzard’s favorite.

Arthas is great too and probably more likely. He was on the cover of Warcraft 3 and its expansion and was a major antagonist in WoW. We could always use more villains and ice based characters.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One thing I don't see too many people talk about KOS-MOS is the fact that only 1/5 of the Xenosaga games even got a proper worldwide release. Xenosaga 2 was the only game that came out in Europe.

Like if Nintendo actually put in KOS-MOS they're putting in a character from a game series that sold so poorly in its era that it wasn't even properly finished as it was planned to, is mostly obscure to PAL audiences outside of just one game, and isn't even available on any modern platforms.

I know thy're not only just going for the biggest IPs imaginable (RIP Resident Evil) but I really do feel like Xenosaga just has way too many strikes going against it, and I just don't see why Nintendo would want her in, especially when they already characters have their own far more popular Xeno branded series that they could add.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
That’s good because Illidan is my favorite character too. I was under the impression that Sylvanas was Blizzard’s favorite.
I was mostly referencing the common "Emergency Illidan Button" meme for Blizzard games. When WoW or Hearthstone or whatever is struggling then it's time for an Illidan expansion. Vengeance baby!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Anyway, jokes aside, yeah I gotta admit that interview "disconfirmations" have been ****ing insufferable. They're like the perfect storm of awfulness: vague, sudden, ripe for misinterpretation and hard to keep track of

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing I don't see too many people talk about KOS-MOS is the fact that only 1/5 of the Xenosaga games even got a proper worldwide release.
Could it be because most of us didn't even know that there were 5 of them to begin with?

...'Cuz I thought there were only 3.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
One thing I don't see too many people talk about KOS-MOS is the fact that only 1/5 of the Xenosaga games even got a proper worldwide release. Xenosaga 2 was the only game that came out in Europe.

Like if Nintendo actually put in KOS-MOS they're putting in a character from a game series that sold so poorly in its era that it wasn't even properly finished as it was planned to, is mostly obscure to PAL audiences outside of just one game, and isn't even available on any modern platforms.

I know thy're not only just going for the biggest IPs imaginable (RIP Resident Evil) but I really do feel like Xenosaga just has way too many strikes going against it, and I just don't see why Nintendo would want her in, especially when they already characters have their own Xeno branded series that is far more popular than Xenosaga that they could add.
I don't believe its that out there to suggest there's a whole series of characters, whether they be the proverbial 4th main character of first party series (Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa), or third party characters more significantly popular in certain regions whom are entirely viable for Smash, but in terms of sheer likelihood feel far more probable as base game fighters for the next entry than paid DLC. Nintendo's not entirely playing it safe with the Fighter's Passes but they're not going out of a limb a lot of the time either.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, the big difference for a character like K Rool, is I recognize him from his game outside of Smash. While League characters also have personality and lore and such, none of it is present when actually playing League of Legends. Also, since you're a DoTA player you have to understand, if Techies or Phantom Lancer come to Smash to ruin another game I otherwise enjoy, I don't know what I'd do.

and lol, no true zerg player is still out here doing 6p. Instead we're out here greedily expanding without scouting, dying to cheese, quit out then complain about how Blizzard is a dead company.
While I'm not as bothered by that, it is a good point that the characters' lack of presence elsewhere does unfortunately tighten their "bond" to their playerbases. Both Riot and Valve have begun to release side games, but those might suffer from the fact that the playerbases do not neccessarily migrate to the other titles in huge numbers. When it isn't a major stumble Points to Artifact. Still, I wouldn't count out that changing and the MOBA characters getting something else that explores say their lore more throughly.

(I was so tempted to make a Kimarhi Ronso joke because Phantom Lancer's look was based on him.)

Y'know, I feel like we've discussed KOS-MOS' chances a hundred times without ever explaining what she'd do. I mean, she has a very large gun, but we've never described her specials, her gimmicks, etc. Please, pitch me your concepts so we know about her beyond the debates.
I recommend checking out her Project X Zone 2 attacks for an abridged version. Sure, she shares her screentime with Fiora, but it shows off that she's a Swiss Army Tank that has enough firepower to probably take down mechas if she ever faced off against them. With all sorts of weaponry from sword-like melee ones to drone-like micro missiles and everything in between.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Could it be because most of us didn't even know that there were 5 of them to begin with?

...'Cuz I thought there were only 3.
Outside of the main three, there was also a mobile spinoff only released in Japan, and there was also a demake of the first two games released on DS...also exclusive to Japan.

Yeah.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder why I’ve never seen Fei Fong Wong suggested. I get that Kos-Mos is more popular but it is weird that Xenogears is never talked about. I’ve barely played either game so I’m not really invested either way but I am a little curious.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I wonder why I’ve never seen Fei Fong Wong suggested. I get that Kos-Mos is more popular but it is weird that Xenogears is never talked about. I’ve barely played either game so I’m not really invested either way but I am a little curious.
KOS-MOS appeared in Project X Zone and XC2, and got a surge of popularity from it. Then she showed up in some rumors, apparently, and that ingrained her in the SmashBoards speculation scene. Fei Fong Wong got neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom