• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Imagine a character getting green lights on everything necessary to be included and then being dismissed because the status of the spirits aren't notable enough, or they'd have to use a different piece of art that isn't already included. I don't think so.

Not every facet is of equal importance. The characters are the foundation; they're going to choose them and build from there. And every plausible candidate has enough content on which to draw. Some people act like Smash has wrung every last bit of material out of some truly huge franchises, which is bananas.

Funny story about the Time magazine with the Pokemon cover. I remember my dad reading it when it was the current issue, and I saw Pokemon on the cover, and I said, "I wanna read it!", and then he gave it to me and I realized that it was not in fact about being the best like no one ever was, but about the business about Pokemon going global and making kids lose their minds (when not giving them seizures) and that I was like six and didn't understand half the words and it was boring as ****.

They bamboozled me with adulthood. That's what I get for judging the magazine by the cover.

But that magazine still exists somewhere at my parents' house because despite it being about stuff I wouldn't appreciate for another ten years after that (and I did eventually re-read it) I nevertheless demanded it not be thrown out because it had Pokemon on the cover.

Don't listen to grampa, red and yellow are warm colours.
I didnt read that Time- but honestly, as an adult, I've been fascinated with the fact that Pokemon is a series unlike anything that has ever been created. It's considered a phenomenon because of it's success economically, sociologically, psychologically......it's studied in each of those fields by various analysts.

I highly recommend a book I read long ago, "Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokemon."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didnt read that Time- but honestly, as an adult, I've been fascinated with the fact that Pokemon is a series unlike anything that has ever been created. It's considered a phenomenon because of it's success economically, sociologically, psychologically......it's studied in each of those fields by various analysts.

I highly recommend a book I read long ago, "Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokemon."
I'll keep that in mind, though I can't imagine what the "fall" of Pokemon would be. More like "The Rise, more Rise, still Rise, another Rise, alleged-Fall-according-to-Twitter but actually continued Rise of Pokemon".

Though obviously the only thing that can match the Pokemania of the late 90s was maybe the Pokemon Go mania a few years ago. And in that vein the magazine article was interesting to read in retrospect because it's written from the period of Pokemon's peak when it was huge, omnipresent, and needed to be explained to parents. It must be like reading an article about the Beatles from the early 60s.

N3ON N3ON three or four cats later:

Please stop looking through my closet.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Probably. But I want a Ganondorf that is 0% Falcon. No Smash character should be derivative of a character from a different series.

Replaces lame FLUDD with a cooler, funner move.

To be clear, I don't want Cappy to add a complicated mind control mechanic. Just a projectile you can toss out and make hover in place that can be used as a platform.

Because Charizard was better than Trainer. But if you want to just pure 'zard, you have to play a gimped version of him. They each deserve to be their own character.

Because the fact that we essentially have 4 Marths is asinine.

See Falco/Wolf below.

No. They're pretty different. Not completely different. Every bit helps.

Because any blatant clone should count as an echo(hence, all the decloning suggestions above). Since I don't think either of those characters should be decloned, they should become echoes.

Now you can finally move on with your life. I only wish I could have helped you sooner.
You are someone I either 100 percent agree or disagree with.

Solo 'Zard was a slap in the face to the entire Pokemon franchise. And as someone who's most surprised character was Squirtle, I resent your personal opinion.

Ganondorf just needs to be able to repel attacks and float, and he's fine.

But 4 Marth's is completely asinine indeed, and it ruined the fact that Corrin and Byleth would otherwise be cool characters.

Yes- Pichu and Dr Mario should be considered echoes.

Cappy needs that projectile aspect. Mario is Jumpman and should reflect that more. Fludd is irrelevant to his character, and a thrown Cappy could serve a similar function as far as pushing away (since that is also a mechanic of Cappy in Odyssey).

I'll keep that in mind, though I can't imagine what the "fall" of Pokemon would be. More like "The Rise, more Rise, still Rise, another Rise, alleged-Fall-according-to-Twitter but actually continued Rise of Pokemon".

Though obviously the only thing that can match the Pokemania of the late 90s was maybe the Pokemon Go mania a few years ago. And in that vein the magazine article was interesting to read in retrospect because it's written from the period of Pokemon's peak when it was huge, omnipresent, and needed to be explained to parents. It must be like reading an article about the Beatles from the early 60s.

The book is from well before GO came out- the fall of Pokemon is more that it was beyond any prior media conglomerate through the second gen. The fall is (well, that gen 3 is God awful) but that it just fell down to being highly successful, instead of beyond-comprehension successful.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fall in quality, but rise in industry.

Oh my goodness it's literally mass production...

Don't worry, it's nothing untoward. Sometimes I just like going outside, trying to vertically scale buildings and eat cherries, waiting to duplicate.
Silly N3ON, all you have to do is get a Double Cherry in Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. See?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can we all collectively agree to never shorten Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowsers Fury?
Whenever we mention Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowsers Fury we must call it Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowsers Fury.

I just think that’d be really funny.
Nope. Henceforth I shall call it Soup Threed Word & Boozer's Amgry.

You have brought this upon yourself. I am so gonna forget to do that the next time we talk about it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can we all collectively agree to never shorten Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowsers Fury?
just gonna call it 3DWR for 3D World Remastered because you will never make me type out that much.

you shouldnt have asked :jojo:

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Nope. Henceforth I shall call it Soup Threed Word & Boozer's Amgry.

You have brought this upon yourself. I am so gonna forget to do that the next time we talk about it.
I will hold you to this. I will follow you to the ends of the earth with this reminder.
I will outlive you, and carry on spreading the message from your children, to your grandchildren, to the children after that.
I will rise above the limitations of this mortal plane, and ensure that even in your dreams, you’ll remember.
I will carry this message to the end of time, so all may know. Its not Super Mario 3D World Plus Bowsers Fury, its Soup Threed Word & Boozer’s amgry.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Plot twist: Lloyd is added, and comes with no returning Miis or Bamco Miis. Or any Miis at all, for that matter.
Sakurai's reasoning: "I thought it'd be funny."
The Smash fanbase rips itself apart over the fact that there are no opportunities for Yuri Sans or Velvet Sans, and whether those would've been disasterous or amazing. Probably both.

I mean, I would not recommend hiring the Mario Bros.' joke of a "plumbing service" for your closet. My experience was before Mario decided to cosplay as a cat, but regardless my point still stands. In case you missed my Amazon review:

They came via pipelines through my closet that seemed to defy logical sense, the elder brother daydreamed about spaghetti and ravioli, and worst of all they did not do any actual plumbing to the house's infrastructure. Even if the younger brother was kinda sorta interested in vacuuming the house for some reason. Instead they seemed more concerned about any princesses. When I could confirm that Bowser was nowhere near Sweden's princesses they just ****ing left.

0 / 10 would not allow them anywhere near my pipelines again

:4pacman:

This is how Raiden wins.:4pacman:
Poncho + Sombrero Raiden has to be one of the alts if he gets in:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Random Question for people who are interested. What are some of your "Personal Rules" you have for the Fighters Pass. Nothing confirmed or even widely believed by anyone obviously, but how do you narrow things down?

For Instance mine would be:
- CP9 WILL be a character with a warmer color background: Given Steve/Alex were Cyan and Sephiroth was a Greenish/Gray Background, I feel they're going to try and balance the banner out colorwise with a Red/Orange/Pink Background. Obviously that doesn't narrow things down much (Since I never would have pegged Terry for Blue). But it does make some sense to me.
- CP9 Will NOT be a Villain or from a Fantasy JRPG: We tend to not have characters of the same "Type" be back to back. (Closest I can think of is Joker-Hero. And even then there are some differences... While it doesn't exclude them from ever being included I doubt we'll get a Villain or Fantasy JRPG Person next.
- Series with Extensive Spirits will NOT get a New Character: Going by the fact that each Character comes with a Spirit Board, I'm discounting characters that have their series heavily Represented with Spirits (Rex/Pyra, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Tails, Eggman, Dixie) Characters like them would have no new spirits to add that aren't already there without going for ridiculously minor characters. Final Fantasy had NO Spirits to win, so Sephiroth never faced this, and ARMS only had a handful (5 Basegame, but they added 6 new ones for the DLC Spirit Board).
CP9 WILL be a video game character
CP10 WILL be a video game character
CP11 WILL be a video game character

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with E3 happening this year.

Who do you guys expect to be our "big" character?

Bets on Chun-Li. I also don't think there will be a double reveal.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One of the characters I would love to see get in Smash is Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Killer Instinct has been one of my favorite fighting games since I was younger and has had strong ties to Nintendo. Fulgore has an awesome design that would really stand out from the rest of the Smash cast. Being a machine, he is very distinct from the likes of Ryu, Ken, and Terry as a fighting game rep. Finally, Killer Instinct has an amazing soundtrack and, in my opinion, the best OST of any fighting game ever. Here are some examples:

The Instinct - Title Theme
B. Orchid - KI Gold Theme
TJ Combo - I'm Back to Rise
Cinder - Inferno
Hisako - Village of Whispers
Omen - Herald of Gargos
Thunder - Hinnamatoom

I also think RARE could use another character since they were such an important part of Nintendo's history. My first choice is Battletoads since they are my brother's favorite characters and RARE's first major breakout title but Killer Instinct is a close second. I think Conker is a very popular choice but I think he's a little too close to Banjo aesthetically and would lose a lot of his appeal if they had to tone down his profanity.

1612877343172.png

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So with E3 happening this year.

Who do you guys expect to be our "big" character?

Bets on Chun-Li. I also don't think there will be a double reveal.
Something horrible just popped into my head...

Next month will be the first year “anniversary” of the ARMS guessing game, and we didn’t get Min Min revealed until around what would’ve been E3 time.

What if we get the same thing for absolutely no reason, except the guessing game is around (insert franchise with a lot of available options here coughpokemoncough). And we don’t actually know who it is till E3. And it’s the only E3 reveal...

Disclaimer that I am not for or against any specific series this could potentially happen for. Was just using Pokémon as an example.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Next month will be the first year “anniversary” of the ARMS guessing game, and we didn’t get Min Min revealed until around what would’ve been E3 time.

What if we get the same thing for absolutely no reason, except the guessing game is around (insert franchise with a lot of available options here coughpokemoncough). And we don’t actually know who it is till E3. And it’s the only E3 reveal...

Disclaimer that I am not for or against any specific series this could potentially happen for. Was just using Pokémon as an example.
Personally doubt it. I think the guessing game was a one-time thing and a special case given ARMS was a new IP.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Personally doubt it. I think the guessing game was a one-time thing and a special case given ARMS was a new IP.
Oh I think so too, but I’m just imagining if it happens again and what this thread/site would become...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Two options I can think of:
  • League of Legends (150+ champions. They could reduce it to the most popular ones such as Ahri, Teemo, Yasuo, Jinx, Caitlyn, Ekko, Yone, Kai’Sa, Lux and Blitzcrank, but it’s still gonna be crazy)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles as a whole (DE, X, 2 AND Torna. Oh man the Rex vs Elma wars are gonna be insane... even more so if they throw in KOS-MOS despite her technically being Xenosaga)
  • Actually a third - Apex Legends, if that GameFAQs rumor is credible. It’s kinda like Overwatch or TF2 in that it has several different characters with different abilities

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"Welcome everyone. We know how excited you are to know who is the next challenger. The next fighter is.....

From Capcom. You will have to wait until E3 to know who it is."
Even better.

"Welcome everyone. We know how excited you are to know who is the next challenger. The next fighter is.....

From our company Nintendo. You will have to wait until E3 to know who it is."

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I feel like it worked with ARMS because it was a relatively small pool of 15 characters who all shared the exact same gimmick. Whether it was Twintelle, Spring Man or Master Mummy, they all have the same core appeal. With Pokémon or League of Legends, you’re pulling from a series with hundreds of options that are all completely different from one another. I don’t think that would be as much of a fun guessing game, and more of an outright war between fanbases.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel like it worked with ARMS because it was a relatively small pool of 15 characters who all shared the exact same gimmick. Whether it was Twintelle, Spring Man or Master Mummy, they all have the same core appeal. With Pokémon or League of Legends, you’re pulling from a series with hundreds of options that are all completely different from one another. I don’t think that would be as much of a fun guessing game, and more of an outright war between fanbases.
I'd prefer the War Between Fanbases lol. It would be fun as long as you don't take it seriously!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As mentioned too. It was a new IP for that matter too. So to draw in more interest by making it a guessing game, more people would check out and get to know ARMS more as a means of marketing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's not like nintendo has another notable series with so many potential choices that even the fanbase itself is split on who's be the best option to represent the series, right?

That'd be ridiculous.
If you're talking about Pokemon, I give you that.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's not like nintendo has another notable series with so many potential choices that even the fanbase itself is split on who's be the best option to represent the series, right?

That'd be ridiculous.
I mean, it's not like they already did that with ARMS or Anything, oh no no no! Totally not, Min Min was revealed like Terry in March I swear!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Even better.

From our company Nintendo. You will have to wait until E3 to know who it is."
I feel like that'll just turn into a Chun-Li vs Monster Hunter vs Dante vs Phoenix Wright with the occasional Amaterasu or Arthur fans popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom